Diablo® III

Witch Doctor Spirit Barrage any good?

View profile
I came just to see the blue post. And now I am done.
Reply Quote
I use well of souls in uber zoltun kulle. Other than that bears are far better
Reply Quote
View profile
Gdspd, you can use both. ;)
Reply Quote
Spirit Barrage is by far the best single target dps you have and with the build I use, I use it as my primary feel free to look at my profile or add me for advice it's nice to have more WDs out there!
Reply Quote
i use both but i only have it in my skillbar for zk
Reply Quote
I feel like I need to weigh in here because I am a huge fan of Spirit Barrage. Spirit Barrage (along with Haunt) have been standard in both my PvP and PvE.

In PvE I like to use Spirit Barrage with Manitou because it attacks automatically as you're attacking with your other spells so given the mana cost I feel like it's well worth it. It's damage over a long period of time but it costs so little and can attack while you're kiting or also attacking so I'm using it in higher monster powers and in uber fights. This is in support of my Zombie Bears based build.

In PvP Spirit Barrage with Well of Souls is my main damage dealing attack. Zombie Bears are unusable in PvP because they're so slow so I build around WoS for PVP and I love it. You see many other witch doctors using this in PvP so I'm certainly not doing anything unconventional here.

Personally I love the spirit spells for the Witch Doctor. I'm using Spirit Walk, Haunt, Spirit Barrage in most of my builds and augmenting them with Blood Ritual, Rush of Essence, Spirit Vessel, etc... These are what make the class so fun to play.
Reply Quote
Ive been using well of souls with rush of essence for a while. Its amazing and enemies cant escape the damage it does. Goes over and through walls and hits everything around you. Since ive been using it ive graduated from primary skill school and im not goin back.
Edited by rosshilge#1480 on 2/20/2013 3:57 PM PST
Reply Quote
It's fun playing with Manitou rune in fast runs in low MP like 2. It breakes everithing on map giving drops (gold and itens) you would never get. Also helps a lot in elite packs. (when it decides to hit the mob not the scenario :D)

Infernal Greetings!
Edited by ArieugoN#1988 on 2/20/2013 4:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
SB-Well of souls with Zombie Bears, and depending on what I'm doing, Acid rain. Each of their use and I do run with all three at times, but always SB and Bears.
Reply Quote
02/19/2013 07:10 PMPosted by Grimiku
For what it's worth, I use Spirit Barrage - Well of Souls on my Hardcore Witch Doctor (who just killed Diablo in Inferno, yay). I like the fact that it goes over walls, can be quite effective at burning down single targets, and rocks at mopping up damaged monsters after a single cast of Acid Cloud - Acid Rain.

sorry i can't help myself. the cold day in hell thing is hilarious...and i know this will be read sooooo....

um, since you play a witch doctor I am sure you understand that IAS(increased attack speed) is not the best stat for them. and you also must notice that we are the only class that has main attacks that use up our resource instead of generating it like every other class(wiz is free), barb on hit and when hit, dh on attack, monk on hit.

and the more IAS we stack the faster we run out of mana. do you guys plan to fix this? like, how come my monk attacks faster and replenishes spirit faster, without having to worry about losing spirit from attacking too fast but my witch doctor I have to throttle all the time. we are the only class where it is a glaring issue. has anyone on your side noticed? is this intended?
sorry, i couldn't make it to ask the developers because im an adult and i have a job. but this golden opportunity i am not going to waste. thanks for your time
Reply Quote
View profile
I love SB/well of souls. I use it when running mp5+ in combination with bears. In those instances, I use a SOJ with +SB% for slightly more dmg

As mentioned above, SB is great as a single target skill in PVE and PVP.
Reply Quote
View profile
I think manitou is great. It only uses 1 attack turn every 20 seconds, which means more spamming of ghost bomb, and more locusts.
Reply Quote
It's not a replacement for bears, but it works well with them. You usually want one skill to help with irritating enemies that run. Hex serves this purpose as well (run up, hex, bear spam).

It's pretty amazing for goblins though, I have to run MP9 before it's hard to kill them again.

If you do use Spirit Barrage, you REALLY want to take Rush of Essence. Every shot of SB gives you 5 mp/s, so if you spirit walk, soul harvest, then fire of a few of these while trying to get the pack lined up for bear spam, you'll have an extra 20-30 mp/s, making your bear spam much better.
Reply Quote
i love SB :x, i'm currently do not use it but its was great last patch to combat RD. with well of souls if your dmg output was too high you could micro the primary fire away and still deal the extra 3 souls worth of dmg allowing you to regen if you had more LOH than LS. it also has higher stable single target dmg than bears. my wd could throw bears nonstop at ZK uber while he was hexed, but if i tried bears it would just be funny and i would be OOM.

now that you don't have to micro SB well of souls to hit the primary target with the bonus souls i think its still a good option. i used it as my primary attack.
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee

sorry i can't help myself. the cold day in hell thing is hilarious...and i know this will be read sooooo....

um, since you play a witch doctor I am sure you understand that IAS(increased attack speed) is not the best stat for them. and you also must notice that we are the only class that has main attacks that use up our resource instead of generating it like every other class(wiz is free), barb on hit and when hit, dh on attack, monk on hit.

and the more IAS we stack the faster we run out of mana. do you guys plan to fix this? like, how come my monk attacks faster and replenishes spirit faster, without having to worry about losing spirit from attacking too fast but my witch doctor I have to throttle all the time. we are the only class where it is a glaring issue. has anyone on your side noticed? is this intended?
sorry, i couldn't make it to ask the developers because im an adult and i have a job. but this golden opportunity i am not going to waste. thanks for your time

We’re aware of the unique resource challenge that Witch Doctors face, and how that can affect the desire for IAS. I would say that IAS is still valuable for Witch Doctors, but that value scales heavily with effective resource management, and that’s intentional.
Reply Quote

We’re aware of the unique resource challenge that Witch Doctors face, and how that can affect the desire for IAS. I would say that IAS is still valuable for Witch Doctors, but that value scales heavily with effective resource management, and that’s intentional.

TL:DR; Quit trying to use IAS, its not a gg stat for every class. Get more intel and damage in place of that IAS and do more damage with your limited resource.
Reply Quote

Are you aware that Toad of Hugeness is completely pointless skill?
Reply Quote
Don't you dare sully the good name of Bic' Toad. He is a scholar and a gentleman. If any a companion I required to face the demon hoards it would be he whom I seek.

I do wish he was a bit stronger though.
Reply Quote

but wizards get a free giant laser that gets damage from every damage modifier without any resource cost that you can use infinitely

hmm
Reply Quote
02/21/2013 02:36 PMPosted by Grimiku

The problem is that resource management is very hard to find on gear.

Take mana cost reduction to Zombie Charger, for example. This resource management affix actually scales with IAS (unlike most other mana bonuses) and Witch Doctors would never complain about the mana cost of Zombie Bears if they had 3 or 4 pieces of gear with this affix (the way Wizards stack Arcane Power on Crit). But the problem is that this affix only rolls on Mara's amulets, Stone of Jordan / Skull Grasp rings, and mojos/shields/crossbows, and quite rarely at that, so the chances of finding this gear yourself is next to none, making the AH prices huge.

The same goes for Zombie Dog cooldown reduction. Having 3-4 pieces of this affix would solve the mana woes for many Gruesome Feast or Sacrifice: Pride users, but the availability/prices are ridiculous for the aforementioned reasons.

If we had a way to re-roll skill affixes on legendaries like Mara's/SoJ, that would be a nice step in the right direction.

Until then, we have to use several skill/passive slots for optimal mana regeneration, at the expense of our survivability.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]