Diablo® III

The Immortal Words of Old School - Pt 2 (Auction House)

Conceptually, the Auction House is not a failed feature for Diablo 3. It indirectly existed in Diablo 2 with the ability to trade and the existence of 3rd party sites. Diablo 2 was still a success regardless of these auction-house-like features.

Why does the Auction House generate so much negativity?

It’s really easy to blame what you can directly see or relate to:
-Bad User Interface
-Real Money (i.e. pay-to-win)
-Bad Experiences (i.e. having an item sniped from you)
-Inflated Currency

These may seem like a reason behind a bad Auction House but they are completely unrelated to the core fundamental driver that determines its success.

That core fundamental driver to a successful Auction House is itemization.

Itemization must be redeveloped in a way that starts with the existing itemization structure and emphasizes affixes that have elements that support customization, theory-crafting, and re-itemization. These affixes must evolve into an efficient way to build a character and bring balance to the existing affix pool by removing the requirement of optimal item stats. This type of itemization focus would bring a circle of life to the economy and add end game.

I can’t tell you how many times, in Diablo 2, that I would acquire new items for the sake of building a new character build that entirely focused around those new items. That was a huge portion of the end game for Diablo 2. This Itemization supported the act of constantly buying and selling items to try new builds (hence the need of an auction house). An Auction House in D2 would have gone over really well. Buying and selling items was fun and went on for many years. Different gear meant access to different builds, and different builds lead to theory-crafting and replay-ability. There was a satisfaction threshold that could be reached with your character. Meeting this threshold meant competing at a high level in PVP, successfully maxed out enough skills in a build, hitting break points, and magic finding (farming) at a godly rate. In other words, meeting and exceeding the potential of a character build. Once this threshold was met, it would be common to continue to play the character for x amount of time and start a new one to repeat the process.

That satisfaction threshold bar in Diablo 3 has been raised so high that it is unreachable unless you invest real money, or invest countless hours farming, or make tons of gold by playing the Auction House. After reaching the threshold, there is nothing left to do. You can play almost every build in the game by just swapping your skills. Itemization is a means to an end (where there is no end game). A current Diablo back bone has just been broken with the addition of BoA items. This seems like an amazing addition to crafting that gives players something to do, but so was the Hellfire ring a few months ago and look at where it is now…

I leave you with the Immortal Words of this Old Schoooooool Report.

Please follow the link to read my thoughts on how to fix itemization. Feedback is appreciated.
The Immortal Words of Old School: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7004016367
Edited by OldSchool#1359 on 2/19/2013 2:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
That's why we need a better endgame, currently none exists. A lot of people have already maxed out paragon levels. I cant see itemization being fixed before the xpac. What we can get though is a new form of endgame. I'd like to see a horde mode of some sort.
Reply Quote
02/19/2013 02:31 PMPosted by BurningJC007
That's why we need a better endgame, currently none exists. A lot of people have already maxed out paragon levels. I cant see itemization being fixed before the xpac. What we can get though is a new form of endgame. I'd like to see a horde mode of some sort.

I guess. I see a lot of people complaining hard about this lack of end-game with one Plvl 95 and no other characters. They play another class for an hour and "It Sucks". Really? Endgame to me would imply taking as many guys up that high as you could. I see you guys have taken a few classes to 60.
Reply Quote
The AH generates a lot of complaints because it is pretty apparent that a lot of the poor design decisions in the game where based making the "economy" work.

- The low drop rates
- The HUGE range in the affixes (where you can get high level items that have lower values than ones you found in Hell difficulty.
- The over randomness of items (strength on a wizard only item)
- You could even argue that the design decision to make weapon dps tied to skills was so every class .. every build would be looking for the EXACT same gear with the only difference being the main stat.

If you got good drops on your own simply by playing (like you can in most other loot-based games) not as many would use the AH ...

The game was designed around a much too large scale .. millions of people farming the same stuff .. the drop rates HAD to be low .. the items had to be super random (where 99% of them are pretty bad) .. to force people to the AH.

With no AH .. if Blizzard was just content to make this a fun single player or co-op experience and not worry about the economy? I think a LOT of people would have been happier .. the traders could still trade .. and the people who wanted to just play on their own with their friends would have gotten those "cool" drops.
Reply Quote
The AH generates a lot of complaints because it is pretty apparent that a lot of the poor design decisions in the game where based making the "economy" work.

- The low drop rates
- The HUGE range in the affixes (where you can get high level items that have lower values than ones you found in Hell difficulty.
- The over randomness of items (strength on a wizard only item)
- You could even argue that the design decision to make weapon dps tied to skills was so every class .. every build would be looking for the EXACT same gear with the only difference being the main stat.

If you got good drops on your own simply by playing (like you can in most other loot-based games) not as many would use the AH ...

The game was designed around a much too large scale .. millions of people farming the same stuff .. the drop rates HAD to be low .. the items had to be super random (where 99% of them are pretty bad) .. to force people to the AH.

With no AH .. if Blizzard was just content to make this a fun single player or co-op experience and not worry about the economy? I think a LOT of people would have been happier .. the traders could still trade .. and the people who wanted to just play on their own with their friends would have gotten those "cool" drops.

Those reasons do not promote auction house use. Its still a means to an end. Their whole itemization focus does not support their auction house. Build specific gear supports the auction house. It promotes people to play new characters and trade items they find to people with different builds.

They have some gear that is focused on build specifics but is worthless due to optimal item stats such a crit, attack speed, and primary stats.
Reply Quote
Your words fall on deaf ears man. This game is not created for the generation that loved the previous diablo series, it should be painfully evident by now. The sooner we realize it, the better for us. Hope is draining with every patch.
Reply Quote
02/19/2013 03:56 PMPosted by Krystonosetz
Your words fall on deaf ears man. This game is not created for the generation that loved the previous diablo series, it should be painfully evident by now. The sooner we realize it, the better for us. Hope is draining with every patch.

I know... This game has so much potential if it had good itemization... just sad to see such a great game being ruined.
Reply Quote
Thank you for saying it so I don't have to :)

Oh also the AH gets negativity because they balanced the drop rates off of it - they even admit it in the Ask the Devs answers.
Edited by Wolverine#1833 on 2/19/2013 6:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
Thank you for saying it so I don't have to :)

Oh also the AH gets negativity because they balanced the drop rates off of it - they even admit it in the Ask the Devs answers.

Yes, I don't agree with that at all. If item stats were balanced it would be ok... but we are all going after the same thing.

What this does is we find out whats good and we put it on the auction house. As a result, nothing good drops anymore.
Reply Quote
02/19/2013 05:51 PMPosted by OldSchool
I know... This game has so much potential if it had good itemization... just sad to see such a great game being ruined.
There is no depth, and I see little possibility of it being added. Great post.
Reply Quote
02/22/2013 08:27 PMPosted by steakncheese
There is no depth, and I see little possibility of it being added. Great post.

It had a great possibility of "it" being added...

"It" meaning game fixes and itemization...

All we can do is wait, and hope its not too late...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]