Diablo® III

Phat's budget Double Nado and Gear Reference

02/23/2013 05:27 AMPosted by SurrealLimit
Hey guys i'm looking for advice on a low budget build around 10-15mill. I just need some advice to make sure im moving in the right direction. Thanks.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/PhatPhoEater-1370/hero/21193368

For a new'ish barb I always like to recommend them to Phat's female barb. His gear is a great template if you are just starting to fully regear. However, since you are a Skorn barb and I am not clear on how to gear for that.

02/23/2013 07:43 AMPosted by StimpE
i have low survivability - i was looking at your gear and you only have one source of life steal @ 2.8%, i have a total of 6% and im getting rocked at mid MP levels, here are more stats:

We only have 2.8-3% lifesteal on gear because we use the Bloodthirst passive to maximize dps gained off gear.

First of all I suggest you start taking the echoing fury offhand route because it makes it so much easier to hit the 2.5 breakpoint. Look for an Echoing Fury with Str, .24+ attacks per second, Socket, Crit Damage or Lifesteal. From then on you will need 9/9/8/8 atk speed on your gear. From a quick glance I see that you will need to get either trifecta gloves or a new ring with 9% atk speed. I suggest you go with the ring and keep crafting gloves until you get a good one since it's hard to replace the eHP loss.

Your boots need some heavy upgrading. The ones I am wearing are not ideal, but can be used temporarily until you get the budget for ones with 300 combined stats.

Next I would like to talk to you about the SoJ. Yes, your SoJ has 30% bonus to elites, but its not cold damage! Try and aim for a new one with cold damage + 25%+ bonus damage to elites. You will find the slow effect very effective when you obtain your new echoing fury.

Your mainhand has all the required stats, but ultimately look for one with 600-1200 damage range.

More str and more vit for chest.

Belt with more str.
Hi again!

I posted a couple of weeks ago and Paht gave me the advice I have copied and pasted below.
I htink thta i have adressed the points he made and was looking for more suggestions. I was thinking that i really need a better Ik chest and maybe more IAs but another point of view is alwyas welcomed.

Thanks in advance

Hey man.

I would really appreciate some advice on my weapons. I think that they are my major weakness now but Im having trouble finding a couple better at around 150M , which is the gold I have now....

It pains me to see that ef. Nice damage range but low aps. I would start by putting the EF in your MH and dagger in OH. With only 15 ias on gear, you aren't going to get much higher aps than you currently have. I would only farm MP where you can kill elites quickly since that EF in the Mh will drive you nuts without a cold soj.

Doing this puts you at 1.2 mil tdps fully buffed. adding 2ias to your gloves puts you at 1.3mil @ 2.23/2.5 aps.

if you get the weapon i describe in my third post with 110str without crit and use a 90cd gem and use your current ef you get tdps of 1.1m. This is with adding 2ias to your gloves.

if you get the mace in the previous example and use an EF with my stats but no extra crit and sub in LS using a 90cd gem, you get 1.2m tdps. With my .24aps you wouldnt need to add 2ias to your gloves.

These examples show that you can similar performance by getting 2 new weapons or use your currents. The only difference is that you have to deal with MH EF fear procs. Since you already own the weapons, you can try this out for yourself and see if it causes you problems. I would suggest doing alk runs on mp4 with that tdps.

the mace i describe should cost under 10m. If you want to spend bigger and look for a mace like mine with 50 base crit and an EF OH with socket/str/LS then your tdps would be 1.32mil.

I know you asked about weapon advice, but the most glaring problem with your set is zero move speed. I make this a priority even with low budget gear sets. I would strongly consider lacunis. You have to decide if you want to get tanky to do mp10 ubers or not. I like putting some ehp on the lacunis, like my current ones. Prior to these, I used double vit roll, str, AR lacunis without cc. I dont like forcing ar on my jewelry or gloves so I settled on bracers. If you want pure dps out of your bracers then str/cc lacunis are the way to go. Just understand that your AR will be gimped as a result.

Your boots aren't terrible but I'd value MS over stats. You could go innas but then you'd be dropping a big chunk of AR. From all the pvp threads it looks like big ehp pants are the way people are going. Even if you got innas with big vit, your IC stats are meh. You'll have to decide if you want to go all in for innas which will require IC's with bigger stats or get big stat IK boots or monster IC with stats/MS.

You need 3 sources of LS at your dps lvl. That is the only reason I see you not surviving mid MP. It wont be fast but you should be able to do it. I do have 2 sources of LS, belt/passive. Once you get over 1.3mil tDPS then you can change to 2 sources of LS.

If getting a new weapon is unpalatable then you can try swapping all your str gems to vit. 37k hp with low sustain is a bad idea. Why use a non cold, non barb soj?

Why use such a crap roll Inna/IC combo? You wont get past mid MP with that combo since your hp will never get much higher. Only Inna/IC combo worth using requires a lot of gold.

what will +cold dmg on the soj do for me? what stat do i want for barb on there? crit chance for overpower? what do you recommend switching to besides Inna/Ice climbers?

thank you for your input
what will +cold dmg on the soj do for me? what stat do i want for barb on there? crit chance for overpower? what do you recommend switching to besides Inna/Ice climbers?

thank you for your input

Read what I commented for you.

Cold SoJ will slow the mobs allowing them to stay more in your tornado thus improving dps output. Don't aim for a barb based one unless you have an insane budget.

thank you for your input

Read what I commented for you.

Cold SoJ will slow the mobs allowing them to stay more in your tornado thus improving dps output. Don't aim for a barb based one unless you have an insane budget.

thanks kan - is the dps for the OH echoeing fury important?

.24+ attacks per second, Socket, Crit Damage or Lifesteal. From then on you will need 9/9/8/8 atk speed on your gear

just to be clear anything above 1.24 APS would be fine? or do you mean 1.42? Edit: I see what you mean, the actual stat on the wep

also if you look at my OH it has ias and a higher overall APS then say echoing fury with .25 APS for a total of 1.45 vs my currently equipped OH @ 1.47... just want your thoughts on this

the 9/9/8/8 is what? gloves/rings..etc?
Edited by StimpE#1160 on 2/23/2013 12:15 PM PST
02/23/2013 11:43 AMPosted by StimpE
thanks kan - is the dps for the OH echoeing fury important?

Doesn't make a HUGE difference, but obviously depends on budget lol.

just to be clear anything above 1.24 APS would be fine? or do you mean 1.42? Edit: I see what you mean, the actual stat on the wep

the 9/9/8/8 is what? gloves/rings..etc?

Echoing gives a flat .2x attacks per second which on the weapon will be labeled as 1.4x. Look for 1.44 or 1.45 for the echoing.

9/9/8/8 means u need attack speed on 4 slots of items. 2 slots with 9% and 2 slots with 8%
what do you recommend as a replacement for innas pants & my boots? can you msg me in game i have a few more questions

stimpe#1160
what do you recommend as a replacement for innas pants & my boots? can you msg me in game i have a few more questions

stimpe#1160

Pants - High Vit innas
Boots - 300 combined stat ice climbers (Str+vit)

i wont be on for a while until tonight.
@xxxkan Any suggestions for my gear, I have about 65M to work with. I'm guessing I need a new main hand.
02/23/2013 04:01 PMPosted by Mantsua
@xxxkan Any suggestions for my gear, I have about 65M to work with. I'm guessing I need a new main hand.

Need to focus on EHP. Glass cannon builds won't get you into higher MPs unless you are trying to switch to hota/rend...but I think you might be under the recommended levels on that build as well.

I would craft shoulders of vitality if I were you. Your IK chest is a very weak chest due to the low vit roll so that need replacing as well.

I don't know if you are built around Inna's pants properly. Inna pants only work well with other pieces of gear that can balance the loss of ar/vit/str on traditional rare pants. For most barbs non-MS ice climbers usually do the trick.

Your weapon is the least of your worries.

Get your health and AR up.

Also your crit chance is a bit low for not having an SoJ. Need to get that up...

Lose the hellfire until you can get one with at least crit chance.
Edited by Pri#1584 on 2/23/2013 4:17 PM PST
@Pri Thanks for the feedback I will work in that direction.
Hello,

Newb WW barb here.
Any obvious replacements that I should look for with a budget of around 20m?

I am using a +6% AS ring, in addition to IAS of 35 and 0.24 EF, because I am still learning how to maintain permawrath (need to trust my tornadoes to finish off enemies, use fury more consistently, and spend less time picking up items), and the +6% pushes my non-wrath AS above 2.23.

I am using HOTA/smash for ranged elites that tends to spread out when they run away. Any advice for dealing with ranged elites?

Cheers and Thanks.
02/23/2013 06:16 PMPosted by level49
Any obvious replacements that I should look for with a budget of around 20m?

I'm guessing you are using that necklace for the hota benefits. I would caution that you are gimping yourself on the damage potential of hota by not having crit chance and crit damage on your neck. Hota's effectiveness comes from huge crits that can one shot some elite mobs at lower MP. I would suggest you changing that neck out for one wiht str,cd,cc and whatever other bonuses you an afford. Should be cheap. You might even be able to craft yourself one.

Shoulders: Nice roll for shoulders of strenght. If you continue to try to craft more, consider crafting shoulders of vit instead of strength. The default rolls for vit shoulders can range 330 vit/300 str versus str shoulders only max rolling at 330 str/200 vit.

Functionally you are doing all the right things. I do the same thing you do (stacking a little extra IAS to have that second breakpoint when not in wrath probably not the best...but hey..I'm not the greatest maintaining perma).

You basically need to start stacking better versions of the gear you have. Weapons need sockets, IK chest needs higher vit, higher vit boots if you can find them. The IAS ring (6%) can be replaced with an IAS unity or IAS wailing host like mine for some dps.

Good job so far...keep it up.

Make sure you focus on health/ar first then focus on DPS. The main component that holds barbarians back from higher MP is their effective health pool, not their DPS.

EDIT: One other note, at your dps levels, you need 3 slots of life steal to maintain the proper amount of sustain for mid level MPs. Stacking 2 slots of LS plus some Life on Hit is also an option. Better sustain will keep you ww through dangerous mobs.
Edited by Pri#1584 on 2/23/2013 6:45 PM PST
Thanks Pri,

I will try to replace the amulet first, and work on maintaining permawrath, and slowly upgrading up.

Also, I noticed that Phat's female barb was using Blackthorne pants and chest, and they seems to offer a good set bonus to VIT. Do you think it's a good idea to change to blackthorne? and get the IK bonus from boots and belt?
02/23/2013 06:56 PMPosted by level49
Do you think it's a good idea to change to blackthorne? and get the IK bonus from boots and belt?

Blackthorne's give a great EHP bonus for the price. However, I would say that your mid-level EHP is already good. Changing out your IK chest for a bettter vit roll, and continuing to roll vit shoulders when crafting will give you exactly (if not more) EHP then a blackthorn set.

If you were a brand new barb entering inferno (with no gear) it would be a good way to go...but as it stands, you are already on your way to mid level MPs.
did i do okay with my build? Someone is telling me to get another IAS slot to get the next breakpoint?
Edited by Bacon702#1749 on 2/23/2013 11:18 PM PST
View profile
02/23/2013 11:17 PMPosted by Bacon702
did i do okay with my build? Someone is telling me to get another IAS slot to get the next breakpoint?

Looks solid to me. You are at 2.5 aps right now. Adding another IAS slot will get you nowhere.

Your MH could use bigger damage range. I dont like vit on weapons unless it's free. You will have enough vit if you drop it from MH for upper MP but I would shoot for more hp elsewhere to keep it over 50k if you are interested in high MP ubers.
I took Pri's advice and crafted some vit shoulders. Made some decent ones (300vit, 200str, 209arm, 38AR, 38int, 59LightResist) then I finally invested in some Innas. I had to swap my glove back to IK Irons to keep the 2p bonus. I tried some runs at mp7 and survivability is exactly the same. woo!
Also tested cold SOJ vs hellfire and damn, the cold SOJ seriously makes life so so much better. Weighing the loss of 35% exp for this at the moment. :)

I'm guessing next choice is either
1) 300 stat IK Chest then crafting some sick gloves (super duper expensive)
2) IK Irons with with 150str, 40CD, 9.5Crit (not as expensive)

What do you guys think?
Welcome back, Phat :p

2 quick questions for you.

1) When building gear-sets, do you have any rule of thumb for balancing total vit vs total life % ? Any general limits for Life % ? Mempo with a purple gem and IC boots alone can hit 42%, so would adding another 10-12% elsewhere (taking gear Life % totals to 50% and above) be a bad idea?
2) IK chest: from what i've gathered, for big budgets people aim for 400 total stats excluding gems. For people on a more limited budget, what would you say is the reasonable entry point (stats wise) where IK becomes "worth it" over a rare chest? I've noticed a few comments from experienced barbs in several threads advising people against wasting gold buying poorly-rolled IKs, so thought I'd ask. If you have any knowledge or tips to share about IK chest price tiers/ shopping, please do! :)

Thanks!
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]