Diablo® III

Initial combat lag

There's always a huge lag spike whenever the player first meets monsters, is that just for me or everybody else? I don't play hardcore but that seems like it would be a huge issue for those who do.
Reply Quote
02/20/2013 08:18 AMPosted by Eduw
There's always a huge lag spike whenever the player first meets monsters, is that just for me or everybody else? I don't play hardcore but that seems like it would be a huge issue for those who do.

Nope I do also face this.

Enter game
Go to waypoint
Teleport
Attack the first monster
Lag
Death

Sometimes it just appear out of random when I'm fighting Elites.
Reply Quote
Happens to me as well almost every game, for about the first 10 seconds. I didn't even think about the potential disaster that could create for a HC player's character.
Reply Quote
It's because the game doesn't pre-load assets. It's kind of dumb. I'd rather wait for a 2-3 second pre-load than fight my first elite in flip-book mode.

I've heard an SSD can cure this, but not everyone has that option of course.
Edited by Ignatius#1870 on 2/20/2013 8:25 AM PST
Reply Quote
same experience here - lagorama on first fight
Reply Quote
Guys, it's all because of machanical hard drives first read. I got a Samsung 840 pro 256g SSD and I have never had the start up lag since.

It's 100% your hard drive.
Reply Quote
It's because the game doesn't pre-load assets. It's kind of dumb. I'd rather wait for a 2-3 second pre-load than fight my first elite in flip-book mode.

I've heard an SSD can cure this, but not everyone has that option of course.

Yeah, i read it was the game buffering stuff to prevent load screens. It didn't bother me in D1 or D2, so i don't see why would it bother me for D3. I understand their goal with this, but it's just terribly implemented and it affects the gameplay, specially for the hardcore folks. Hopefully they can optimize this eventually.
Reply Quote
Guys, it's all because of machanical hard drives first read. I got a Samsung 840 pro 256g SSD and I have never had the start up lag since.

its 100% poor coding on blizzards part, they should be pre-loading whatever anyone could need to fight an enemy the moment you press start game. Nobody should have to waste money on a vanity item like an SSD just so they dont have to experience blizzards lazy coding.
Reply Quote
I agree, I'd rather have a small loading screen than have trouble with the first pack of thrash mobs I find.
Reply Quote
02/20/2013 08:30 AMPosted by Powerthirst
its 100% poor coding on blizzards part, they should be pre-loading whatever anyone could need to fight an enemy the moment you press start game. Nobody should have to waste money on a vanity item like an SSD just so they dont have to experience blizzards lazy coding.

Well said.
Reply Quote
Perform tweak your operating system.
-- set to performance
1. right click on my computer icon or in windows explorer, choose properties
2. left click advanced sys settings
3. left click under advanced tab, performance / settings
4. check box -- adjust for best performance

-- disable a bunch of uneeded windows services
1. create system restore point before making any changes to windows services
2. google blackviper website
3. choose for either win7 or win8
4. disable services on safe setting -- works for 95% of users.
5. it is good to write down which ones you disable to reset them to previous if needed
6. reboot
7. if problems -- use system restore to go back to previous

-- disable autoupdates
1. windows -- remember to check daily
2. firewall, antivirus -- remember to check daily
3. misc programs
Reply Quote
Lol. an SSD is no vanity, they kick some serious @SS!

plus they're so cheap nowadays, ~25 USD for a 32gb which is enough to fit diablo 3 or any game you want.
Reply Quote
I haven't really had this problem lately, but I used to get it pretty badly. I found it helped at that time to at least fire my own attacks/abilities (I'd skip anything with a long CD on a wizard/barb/etc) in town once before going out to fight enemies. It cut back on the severity of that initial combat lag significantly.
Reply Quote

I will say while I agree with you, after I bought my SSD (for reasons other than video games) I can never look at a mechanical hard drive again other than for storage. SSD is night & day vs mech hard drive.

I load reason, pro tools, and all my other producer programs before I even think about it. While they are really expensive (price per gig) I highly recommend one for the OS and enought for a few games (120+gig is affordable) in someones future build. 1,000% worth it IMO.
Edited by KainDraven#1803 on 2/20/2013 8:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
Yeah I've got this problem to.
Reply Quote
yes i have this too. i don't remember having this problem when game was released.

also, i noticed latency is at red during this few seconds of lagg/freeze/spike.
Reply Quote
yes i have this too. i don't remember having this problem when game was released.

also, i noticed latency is at red during this few seconds of lagg/freeze/spike.

Server do rubber band too. I'm not sure was it because of 1.0.7 make many old player return and play or just that Diablo make the server become a Wooden Server
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]