Diablo® III

Stutter and FPS Problems

I first bought Diablo III the day it came out and since then I have been having problems with stuttering and FPS drops that make the game almost entirely unenjoyable to play. At first I thought it was lag from the servers, so I waited and tried again a couple months later. But I still had problems. I have a computer well equipped to handle games much more taxing than this, so I don't think its that I can handle the game. I tried everything possible to try and fix this problem. Changing graphic settings, turning vsync on and off, changing resolution, playing windowed.

Nothing has fixed this problem. I tried waiting to see if a patch or video card driver updates would help. Tried it every time a patch came out and every time AMD released driver updates. Still having the same problems as always. I opened a support ticket and I wasnt suggested any solutions that I hadn't read elsewhere and nothing works.

Frankly, I'm tired of trying. Unless someone can post here and help, I'm giving up.

Here is my original support ticket email:

I just bought the game, so I can't speak for how the game performed before the 1.03 patch. But I can speak for the game right now. I am experiencing the same kind of FPS problems and stutter that many on the forums are. At times its just annoying, and at times it makes the game simply unenjoyable (sometimes unPLAYable). It not only happens when I go into a new area, but also when I'm simply walking around, and especially when new enemies pop into the foreground. Also is especially bad in big fights with lots of enemies.

I was fairly sure that its not my PC, because my system can run games like Arkham Asylum in DX11 on High and BF3 on High settings with max resolution (1080p) no problem. I frequently play StarCraft 2 on Ultra settings also, and I have no problems (which I thought was worth throwing in since its also a Blizzard title).

That said, I still did everything I could (drop Min/Max FPS settings, drop graphics to low, lower resolution, turn off other settings). Nothing helped. My dad and friend both play on systems that aren't half as well equipped as mine and they don't seem to have any problems. All my drivers are up to date too, and it seems that (for once) both AMD and Nvidia based systems are having the same issues.

Here are my specs just for reference:

AMD Phenom X6 3.2ghz processor
8GB Gskill RAM
Radeon 6870 1GB VRAM
Windows 7 with up to date Catalyst drivers

Greetings,

My name is Kyle and I’ll be happy to help you with your computer running Diablo III properly. There are a large variety of problems that can cause this issue. Worry not! We have a great place for us to start: http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-video-performance-issues. These steps have fixed most player issues for choppy/low FPS that I have encountered.

If you continue to experience issues, please reply to this ticket. If you would rather speak with a representative directly, please contact Account & Technical Services. Our contact information can be found at http://blizzard.com/support/article/cs. My personal schedule has me working 1:45 PM to 10:45 PM CST, Sunday through Thursday, though our call center is available 7 days a week.

Regards,

Kyle W.
Customer Services
Blizzard Entertainment
www.blizzard.com/support

Hello Kyle. I did try all of the steps in the article. My drivers are up to date, I lowered in game settings, my control panel settings are default, I don't overclock, I have no background apps running, and my hard drive was recently defragged.

I really don't know what else it could be. My computer runs many other more taxing games much better than it runs Diablo 3. And I know its not latency issues because I have those every once in a while too, and it is a much different reaction.

Hello,

Let's see what else we can do for you here. First, we will need a bit more information about the computer to proceed any further.

To obtain the systems diagnostic files, follow the instructions here: http://us.blizzard.com/support/article/22660
- Please attach these files to your reply.
- Attachment must be under 5MB
- Attachments must be in BMP, JPG, GIF, TXT, or TGA format
- Make sure that all attachments (up to 4 files allowed) meet the recommended requirements. Security concerns may cause files with other formats or files that are too large to be filtered or deleted without response.

Game Master Ucharky
Account and Technical Services
Blizzard Entertainment

Tried to run the diagnostic and couldn't figure out what to do with it...
Reply Quote
my game has had the slutter effect from day one also.............. i have ati hd 5850 with a i5 760 with all the latest drivers.. you are not alone. when the game starts to slutter its still showing 60 fps (v sync on) so i know its a problem with the game itself. Sometimes the game will "hitch" hard then the slutter goes away for awhile. I beleive there is a whole tread on this
Edited by rckrz6#1654 on 2/15/2013 4:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
Same here, only after this last patch it has gotten twice as bad.
Reply Quote
Same here unfortunately.
Reply Quote
I've also seen more FPS loss since the new patch. Mainly on the bridge in act 3. It is dropping my FPS down to 8 which is retarded. My pc is insane to have FPS issues with D3

PC specs

Asus MIVE mobo Z68
i7 2700k @ 5ghz (on water cooling and completely stable)
2 x AMD 7970's @ 1000/5000 (also both on water cooling and completely stable)
8gigs of 1866mhz DDR3
2 x OCZ Vertex 3 120gig SSD's in Raid 0
1 x WD Black 500gig (storage)
Corsair AX1200 PSU
Feser Quad 120mm double thick Rad
Swiftech M655 pump
EK Acetal/Nickle Cpu water block and 2 Gpu water blocks

It isn't my pc that's for sure.

Would like to hear some input on this as well.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]