Diablo® III

To devs - how NOT to fix channeling skills

I've loved my wizards since the first day of D3's release, and I'm happy that Blizzard have acknowledged that channeling skills need a buff. It looks like they have people who play wizards after all. ;)
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7895009644#5

BUT, I'm worried about their suggested plans, as I feel they MAY HARM GEAR DIVERSITY, so I'm glad they didn't rush into this. If anything, we need more gear diversity, not less. ;p I believe...

--
PROBLEMS THAT THE DEVS ***SHOULDN'T*** TRY TO SOLVE:

"Wizards are vulnerable when they’re standing still to channel" - I believe it can and SHOULD be fixed by the player - gear specifically with more eHP.

"Wizards with high attack speed to be able to sustain casting" - Again, players can fix this by gearing specifically with less attack speed (like how monks gear TR builds).

--
Different gearing should be encouraged:
Different gearing, and having multiple gear sets, improves everybody's probability of finding something usable or sellable. :) (I hate to use the overused word "itemization" here). A character who is optimally geared for archon (1h black+triumvirate+moderate ehp) or CM (chantodo, high ias, high mitigation) should not be able to run a channel build as well as one geared specifically for channelling (2h+high ehp+soj) - we don't want everyone going for the "same gear" in the AH.

--
So what will help with both build AND gear diversity?
Channel spells need to have a better DPS multiplier, to justify the loss of paper DPS due to its specific gearing opposed to archon (i.e. more defense and low attack speed).

The simplest solution, of course, is to just buff the numbers (worked for monks!) :p

Or a cooler solution, leave the numbers as they are, but significantly increase the effect of Arcane dynamo on channeling skills, so channel builds will play differently to archon as well (more emphasis on positioning yourself well to hold the channel). And if you're willing and able to stand prone amidst lasers and plagues to hold your dynamo-buffed channel, you want to it to be worth it!

--
What do you guys think? (and who here actually runs a channeling build) :p
Reply Quote
I actually run a channeling build , it's the only build I run since 1.07

DPS multiplier will no doubt be preferred to the other 2 since I don't have a problem with tanking or running out of AP anyways.

But ofcourse allowing me to survive better will also be appreciated...

I'm interested in where they will take channeling builds. Hopefully can top SNS someday!
Reply Quote
a) total melee invulnerability. (so only range attacks and damage from affixes)

b) or 30% mitigation (just link monks/barb have for the same rationale of being in melee range).

c) or make it 160 yd length. after all, if you want range, then make it long range. you don't have a problem with dh hitting offscreen.

d) fix loh procs. delink from cm procs. eg: double the proc coefficient for all spells and then change cm to cd 0.5 seconds per proc crit. (ie: cm no change, but loh is doubled.) alternatively, just double the loh procs for all spells that are cm unsuitable (cos of taking attacking turns ie: every other signature spell other than living lightning/wicked wind). all the moving winds need like triple damage and double loh procs.

e) wave of force = maybe less damage but 2-4 second cd. also illusionist procs it

f) multiple hydras like multiple sentries.. mammoth hydra needs a buff as well.
Edited by chrisloup#6305 on 2/18/2013 9:05 AM PST
Reply Quote
I posted a few days ago with some ideas about survivability boosts to channeling spells that aren't outright damage reduction or EHP boosts.

Here's the thread:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7923692338#1

And for those too lazy to give it a read, the main suggestions:

• Disintegrate: Disintegrate returns 1% of damage done to the player as life.
  • Arcane Torrent: Arcane Torrent shields the player with arcane energy, reducing missile damage by 40% and giving a 20% to completely reflect enemy missiles.
  • Ray of Frost: Chill the air around the effect, reducing the movement speed and attack speed of all enemies within 7 yards by 30%. (damage/ slow for primary target for beam variants and all monsters within Sleet Storm AoE remain unchanged)
  • Arcane Orb: There were a lot of great ideas posted in the PTR feedback thread- some notable ones include giving Orb a vortex effect or having it work similar to Frozen Orb from Diablo 2. I also suggested a mulitshot functionality, essentially turning it into a pumped up version of Split Magic Missile.
  • Reply Quote
    It would also be nice if they fixed gear with "On Attack" procs so that they have a chance to occur as you channel. It sucks having a Hellfire ring, Storm Crow, or Wizardspike etc that will only have a chance to proc when you first start channeling.
    Reply Quote
    Why not just
    +15% damage reduction on channeling (+ /- )
    and btw make item-spells possible to be triggered by channeling spells.

just that simple.

but well, 15% might be too powerful, let's not froget channeling spells have also upsides the low arcane cost.

@chrisloup, channeling /= melee range you know most of them are very long ranged? giving total (melee) reduction like monks/barbs is just silly. And imo ranged, aswell as melee should get reduced, because when you stand still you get hit by both from time to time, I'd say even more by ranged, because you can freeze and knockback melees, ok or use timewarp :p +1 for ranged reduction -> both. period.

By the way, it doesn't help the developers if you post random ideas in each thread. Just post what is described in the headline - channeling spells, not hydra etc.
    Edited by ffFiend#2900 on 2/18/2013 5:02 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    One possible and easy to implement suggestion I have is thus:

1. Increase proc rates for channel spells.
    2. Make the knock back on magic weapon much higher.
    3. Increase skill damage multiplier.

(1) helps on improve LOH returns, APOC and various CC procs.
    (2) is a built in CC proc
    (3) is just a very much needed booster. The idea level should be roughly 70% of Archon's damage.
    Reply Quote
    I don't know why you think channeling spells are long range. you cannot channel past your screen. therefore it is not long range. I suggest you think about channeling spells while vs fast accursed mobs. not that you can't survive without being tanky, but I would imagine the proper way (ie; thematic ideal on the concept of range) to play range is not getting hit (ie: pure glass cannon). a fast mob has no issues closing the gap even if you are at the extreme end of the current range of disintegrate/arcane torrent/electrocute.

when mobs can close that gap quickly, then you need to kite or stutter, but you can't really stutter with a channel spell can you? and if you kite, what is your damage dealing uptime?

so ideally things should change so we can channel and tank, or kite and channel at high mp levels. and yet maintain equal or even better efficiency than cm/ww

anything less will simply make channel builds non viable unless you severely overgear (ie: one shot mobs before they even touch you.)
    Edited by chrisloup#6305 on 2/18/2013 11:21 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    I like the ideas of ChemestCarl

Also like Gatling's idea on fixing "On Attack" procs.

Increase range of channeled spells to match range of demon hunter attacks.

Reward channeling by having all channeled spells increase dps over time. The longer you stand and channel the higher your DPS. (For example get a 20% bonus for each half second with a max of 100%) Since this does not address this issue of wizards getting clobbered when standing still allow stutter stepping by not resetting the damage multiplier if the channeled spell is restarted within a short time (0.5-1.0 seconds)
    Reply Quote
    Bonus damage percentage on the basis of targeted enemy's proximity to wizard.

+100% at 30 yards.
    +200% at 15 yards.
    +400% at 5 yards.

Tweak as necessary.
    Reply Quote
    I actually run a channeling build , it's the only build I run since 1.07

DPS multiplier will no doubt be preferred to the other 2 since I don't have a problem with tanking or running out of AP anyways.!

Nice. You actually run with fairly high attack speed. Which makes me wonder where Blizzard got the funny idea that AP was supposed to be a problem. Buff DPS multiplier yes please! Leave AP alone.

Bonus damage percentage on the basis of targeted enemy's proximity to wizard. Tweak as necessary.

Hell yeah!

Reward channeling by having all channeled spells increase dps over time. The longer you stand and channel the higher your DPS. (For example get a 20% bonus for each half second with a max of 100%)

I do agree, channeling should definitely be rewarded. But there's a couple of runes which do that, probably doesn't need to be applied to channeling in general, personally prefer an Arcane Dynamo buff for channeling, which would achieve that.

02/19/2013 12:26 AMPosted by FluffyDucky
    Since this does not address this issue of wizards getting clobbered when standing still allow stutter stepping by not resetting the damage multiplier if the channeled spell is restarted within a short time (0.5-1.0 seconds)

I don't think Blizzard should worry about trying to "fix" this. Let them monsters clobber us. Its our challenge. If the damage multiplier is good enough, we'll find a way. :) Whether it's through extra defense, strategic play, or co-op.
    Reply Quote
    I started running a channeling build after getting so bored with the SNS/WW build. It's allot more fun and easier on the hands. Would love to see some of these buffs to increase diversity for the Wiz at higher MP levels.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]