Diablo® III

Identify All Function

I think the game is in dire need of an identify all feature. A simple, yet effective solution to this problem would be to implement an identify-all right click feature that takes 10 seconds to cast.

I would much rather right click once and wait 10-15 seconds than do individual items incessantly; it also provides a solution to not being able to view previously identified items while a current one is underway, since item inspection will be after the fact.

Thoughts?
Reply Quote
I don't understand why the identify function exists at all. It made perfect sense when there was a limit on identify through the use of scrolls - but identifying items is free. What's the actual point of it?
Reply Quote
02/20/2013 10:19 AMPosted by JohnCleland
I don't understand why the identify function exists at all. It made perfect sense when there was a limit on identify through the use of scrolls - but identifying items is free. What's the actual point of it?

It is meant to stimulate a sense of euphoria analogous to "unwrapping a present", as Blizzard put it. The problem is, you can only unwrap a pile of coal so many times before the unwrapping process becomes loathsome.

I simply propose an identify-all function be added when you right click any rare in your inventory, and it identifies all items of that item class. I am not suggesting replace identification of a single item by an all function; this way, many players while on the run, can stop and identify single pieces and carry on swiftly, whereas a longer cast might be inconvenient. Some may argue to just have no timer at all and have an NPC in town offer this service. Pretty much any and every argument in this regard is valid.
Reply Quote
http://www.diablowiki.net/File:Mystic-identify1.jpg
I need mystic
Reply Quote
http://www.diablowiki.net/File:Mystic-identify1.jpg
I need mystic

It truly boggles the mind that this did not make it to the final game.
Reply Quote
http://www.diablo3artisans.com/mystic-removed-from-diablo-iii/

Bring back the Mystic and don't make her enhanced items account bound. That would add a lot to the game!
Reply Quote
02/20/2013 10:16 AMPosted by Domain
identify all feature.

might be expansion candidate.
Reply Quote
Diablo 2 - Deckard Cain - Identify all.

Diablo 3 - Deckard cain is dead - WTF!!!!!!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
Jay Wilson or Bashiok (forget which) explained it as adding an anticipatory feature like unwrapping a box. Given how 99.99% of what you ID will be vendored and most legendaries salvaged, I think it's time to add that option to an NPC for a gold cost.
Reply Quote
02/20/2013 10:49 AMPosted by Redstrike
Jay Wilson or Bashiok (forget which) explained it as adding an anticipatory feature like unwrapping a box. Given how 99.99% of what you ID will be vendored and most legendaries salvaged, I think it's time to add that option to an NPC for a gold cost.

Correct. Minus the gold cost part.
Edited by Aaown#1198 on 2/20/2013 1:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/20/2013 10:24 AMPosted by JLxConcepT
Long suggested by community. Pretty much completely ignored by game designers.

^ this..

And to be frank I don't even want to wait 10 seconds...

An instant ID all worked fine in D2 and therefore would work fine in D3. There is no need for a timer.

The feeling of unwrapping a present will still be there as you mouse over each item looking at them.
Reply Quote
02/20/2013 01:45 PMPosted by AxeLord
Long suggested by community. Pretty much completely ignored by game designers.

^ this..

An instant ID all worked fine in D2 and therefore would work fine in D3. There is no need for a timer.

The feeling of unwrapping a present will still be there as you mouse over each item looking at them.

I definitely agree with this. I just prefer to suggest something half-annoying because Blizz seems most receptive to change when that change involves taking something that is 100% infuriating and making it 50% better - but for some reason they insist on keeping it 50% infuriating. So I proposed a timer. Shameful, I know.
Reply Quote
02/20/2013 10:49 AMPosted by Redstrike

The entire concept is flawed.

An instant ID all works just fine and you still have the feeling of unwrapping a box because you still mouse over and look at the items. Moving from one to the next. I don't feel any euphoria while waiting, I feel it as I look at each item.

No gold cost. Unless it's like 100 gold.... no... 10 gold...

Think about it.. what is more exciting slowly id'ing 30 items or quickly id'ing 60 items?.... double the amount double the fun. There is nothing fun about having less coin either..
Reply Quote
02/20/2013 01:47 PMPosted by Domain

^ this..

I definitely agree with this. I just prefer to suggest something half-annoying because Blizz seems most receptive to change when that change involves taking something that is 100% infuriating and making it 50% better - but for some reason they insist on keeping it 50% infuriating. So I proposed a timer. Shameful, I know.

I learned long ago you get what you asked for... Even Jesus said so.. :)
Reply Quote
Why not just remove the whole tedium of identifying loot? Aside from psychological effect (which has been debunked already, can someone explain to me what is the point of ID'ing?

Time sinks. Time sinks are great; they add depth to the game as well as mystery and enchantment. As a subscription based game, time sinks are needed to keep players constantly in the...err.....wait..what?

Yeah I totally get your point. I just want something - ANYTHING less annoying than right click, right click, right click, right click right click ...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]