Diablo® III

Current Direction of D3

After taking in the most recent changes, is anyone else as confused as I am in the direction of the game? This isnt a flame thread as I enjoy the game. I have played hundreds of hours and almost leveled every class. Ive definitely gotten my money's worth. Its just something I have been thinking about.

Drop Rates
Upon release drop rates pretty much went along with the class of gear. Rares dropped exactly that, rarely. Getting a Leg/Set was huge bc of the slim chance to drop. Now Im easily filling up every tab with rares after one run, and 90 percent of the time Im snagging a Leg/Set. Rares have become the new blues, and Legs/Sets have become the new rares. The old blues are completely useless.

BOA/Hellfire
Blizz creates Hellfire rings to give players something to do. Hellfire ring is used for experience gain. Blizz adds more exp gain per MP level rendering Hellfires almost useless. Or at the bear minimum making the effort to farm for hellfire's not worth it. Blizz creates BOA items which are cheap and created almost effortlessly. BOA items blow Rares/Legs/Sets out of the water.

Difficulty/Challenge
Upon originally entering inferno I hit all the walls Act 1, 2, and 3. Inferno was supposed to be tough, giving players something to work up to. Giving players the ultimate goal, to beat inferno. Blizz nerfs Inferno making it where you can sleep through runs. Blizz creates Paragon lvls to give players a new goal, to reach 100.

Its just confusing when thinking about what direction Blizz is going in the game. They implement hellfires for experience and the next patch they make hellfires practically useless. They buff drops, there is nothing rare or legendary about these items. Are they going to create a new tier of gear? They nerf inferno, now what is my goal? Am I just supposed to try to hit Paragon 100? Am I leveling my character just to farm more or is there going to be a greater challenge/difficulty down the road. Thoughts?
Reply Quote
02/20/2013 03:50 AMPosted by TBomb99
is anyone else as confused as I am in the direction of the game?
you want to know the direction of d3? its simple... take a monkey, blind fold him, put him behind the wheal of a bus full of kids yelling at him to turn the 'other way' and then translate that into d3 form. LOL. there ya go! have fun.
Reply Quote
Are they going to create a new tier of gear? They nerf inferno, now what is my goal? Am I just supposed to try to hit Paragon 100? Am I leveling my character just to farm more or is there going to be a greater challenge/difficulty down the road. Thoughts?
the current END GAME is hitting lv60... 0 paragons needed because all it does is add base stats nothing differant like new skills, no added content. not even getting 300,000 damage on a hero is even end game because that can only happen, when? lv60, LOL. so the second you hit lv60 and maybe kill diablo inferno, thats it! welcome to the other 99% of d3 players wondering WHATS NEXT.... this is all because they made a system where everything can be obtained in 1 play through...
Reply Quote
Hi TBomb99,

If I understand correctly, the essence of your post is, that you don't see a vision and would like to be given some path, some direction?

As I understand, currently there is no vision :/
Blizzard made this game "hard" and time consuming and then they were surprised by how active some players are and how fast they beat the content.
That took away their time to make an endgame like PvP as they had to create new content all of a sudden.
I think it is realistic to assume that they thought publishing this game this early is a healthy business decision for the company as a WoW addon has been on it's way and they needed to time the release of Diablo accordingly.
Well.... and after getting surprised by how many hours people spend in this game and how much gold and items flooded the economy they started "repairing" what was left.

The former vision of the game had a slightly wrong direction. I guess they were surprised of how many people had the expectation that this game is somehow like Diablo 2.

Technically, this game is brilliant. I can even accept the graphics by now :)
But with some things they have just gone down the wrong road. The auction house should have a limit of 2 auctions a week. That way people wouldn't just play the AH all day long. Just to name an example...

IMHO they have a problem with balancing their income through the given platforms and giving the players an incentive to play the game and not to use that trading platform.

Right now, they can only try to make some patchwork and repair a few things here and there. From a business perspective, the goal can only be to keep some hardcore gamers interested and to 'not shoo away' the rest because an expansion is planned.

A real new vision can only be created with months of time and rethinking their revenue model for this game.
That means we will most likely have to wait for an expansion to come out and see if this game is more like we envisioned it when it first came out.

This whole "Real Money" stuff is killing creativity :/ As a developer you are bound to the promise that the stuff you bought for your money stays at least of SOME value.
And the server infrastructure and human resources cost money...

If a monthly subscription is not an option, what other options to you have to create steady income if not going the "microtransaction-path"?
DLCs? >_>

Let's hope they find a new game director that has answers and a new vision :)
Edited by DanielH#2965 on 2/20/2013 4:55 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
I am not confused at all. They are taking some of the same steps that Blizz North took with D2

Drop Rates
Upon release drop rates pretty much went along with the class of gear. Rares dropped exactly that, rarely. Getting a Leg/Set was huge bc of the slim chance to drop. Now Im easily filling up every tab with rares after one run, and 90 percent of the time Im snagging a Leg/Set. Rares have become the new blues, and Legs/Sets have become the new rares. The old blues are completely useless.

If anyone remembers D2 rares where what the majority wore when the game launched. Uniques sucked big time. Blizz North later fixed the uniques and might've even changed the drop rates as well.

BOA/Hellfire
Blizz creates Hellfire rings to give players something to do. Hellfire ring is used for experience gain. Blizz adds more exp gain per MP level rendering Hellfires almost useless. Or at the bear minimum making the effort to farm for hellfire's not worth it. Blizz creates BOA items which are cheap and created almost effortlessly. BOA items blow Rares/Legs/Sets out of the water.

Crafting is something that should not suck, period. This idea of having a gambling/crafting system does suck for a lot of players. Even though you could create BiS items. You might have to create hundreds of items to equal or surpass what you can get from drops or at the AH. But at least now players can feel like they are able to find their own gear, even if it is crafted gear. Which btw was something that the devs said that they wanted for players. They wanted us to be wearing a mix of crafted, rares, legendaries and sets.

Difficulty/Challenge
Upon originally entering inferno I hit all the walls Act 1, 2, and 3. Inferno was supposed to be tough, giving players something to work up to. Giving players the ultimate goal, to beat inferno. Blizz nerfs Inferno making it where you can sleep through runs. Blizz creates Paragon lvls to give players a new goal, to reach 100.

So then you really believe that the difficulty of inferno was a smooth curve going up with each act. I wonder where you were at the launch of the game. They had to nerf it because it was not a smooth curve.

I will use WoW's gearing tiers to explain the difficulty ramp up from act one to act two. Let's say act one inferno needed tier 8 raiding gear. Then moving on to act two you found out you now need tier 12 raiding gear. Also players did not like having to use a defensive build. They cried rightfully so about having to earn the right to play a glass cannon build. That was hurting build diversity so it had to be nerfed. Jay's idea of them doubling the difficulty on inferno back fired on them.

It is just that they are taking baby steps IMO at trying to fix the core issues with this game. Which make some players say that why not just give us the expansion. That way you can fix all of the issues with the expansion.
Reply Quote
After taking in the most recent changes, is anyone else as confused as I am in the direction of the game?

Nope.
Blizzard continues to listen to it's fans and implement suggestions that either directly address or indirectly address those concerns.

1.0.7:
- Players complained about Reflect Damage for months - fixed
- Players want NV to stick around between acts - fixed
- Players wanted an untained version of PvP that doesn't focus on balance - fixed
- Players wanted more gold sinks to help the economy - fixed
- Players complained about AH tycoon gameplay and lack of farming incentive - fixed
- Players cried that monk's were the weakest class for months - fixed

The game may 'feel' directionless at times but that's because it evolves with the players.
If players wanted inferno to be as challenging as it was on launch day than that's what we'd have now.

Note: 'fixed' doesn't mean perfectly handled. Just a quick word to illustrate that Blizzard made changes to address that point. Their level of success differs based on personal preferences.
Reply Quote
Small balance patches won't change the game that's broken on a fundamental level- items.

They're a copy/paste from WoW.

To fix this they would have to remake the entire itemization from the ground up.
Reply Quote

It is just that they are taking baby steps IMO at trying to fix the core issues with this game. Which make some players say that why not just give us the expansion. That way you can fix all of the issues with the expansion.

Well, I mean, what do you want to do if you'd be in their place?
Imagine you are the creator of the game. You got 'shared programmers' that are on your little Diablo project.
The game gets released, many programmers, CMs and artists are re-assigned to different projects...

Now you got a finished game, a community crying out loud and only a few resources to fix up whats left.

I imagine them to make weekly meetings and talk about the problems of this game. Then they will make a list and prioritize stuff they might be able to patch relatively quickly.

General problems with this game just cannot be addressed in that manner. I cannot image this to be the task of the current development team.
To fix general problems, you need time, resources and a new game director ;)
So that is why many people think, we will realistically have to wait for an expansion to come out.

I don't say "hey an expansion will fix everything" without much thought. Game development has become a serious business and EA/Blizzard has become a company that has to please their stockholders.

Ask yourself the question what you would do. Think about the circumstances realistically. Many people here are 30, 40 or 50 years old. Many of them will have gathered experiences with project-work in real life and can imagine how that would be.
Reply Quote
02/20/2013 04:58 AMPosted by ShadowAegis
Crafting is something that should not suck, period. This idea of having a gambling/crafting system does suck for a lot of players. Even though you could create BiS items. You might have to create hundreds of items to equal or surpass what you can get from drops or at the AH. But at least now players can feel like they are able to find their own gear, even if it is crafted gear. Which btw was something that the devs said that they wanted for players. They wanted us to be wearing a mix of crafted, rares, legendaries and sets.

I agree crafting should not suck. But have you tried the new plans? It doesnt even take close to creating hundreds of items to surpass everything. Look at my WD's shoulders and Ammy.
Shoulders: 303 Intel, 44 Vit, 4 Life, 71 AR. Ammy: 21-55 Dam, 211 Intel, 72 CD, 7.5 CC. Both of these were crafted after one runs worth of materials, both on first attempts.

02/20/2013 04:58 AMPosted by ShadowAegis
So then you really believe that the difficulty of inferno was a smooth curve going up with each act. I wonder where you were at the launch of the game. They had to nerf it because it was not a smooth curve.

I was there from the launch. And I agree it wasnt a smooth curve, they pretty much nerfed it to the ground.
Reply Quote
Im just wondering where they are going with everything. There has to be some plan. I mean with the new BOA items and increased drop rate of rates/legs, everyone is geared to the teeth. Everyone can easily farm the hardest acts. With the increase of exp per MP level everyone is going to be able to max paragon in half. Heck Im almost going up a level per run. Very soon everyone is going to be maxed paragon and decked out in good gear. Whats left?
Reply Quote
There is nothing left to achieve, really.

Give them a year from now till they give us new content.

That's it. It's done. Period. We crossed the finish line.Completed, finalized, done, ended, finished everything there is to do.

Think positive: Imagine coming back after a few months having real new content to play through. :D -That- would be thrilling.
But if you stay and await every single upcoming patch, prepared to the teeth with crafting material already, you will only keep playing the big trading/gambling game that evolves around the core game. The patch gives you 20 hours of stuff to do and then you're back to watching the AH and the forum.

I've never ever played D2 continuously for years... It has always been a hop-on hop-off relationship ;)

This is not second life :D I thought I already explained in detail why the developers will just need time to fix stuff in my first post :)
Reply Quote
They are buying time until the expansion, which will have all the stuff people want.

Runewords, enchanting, death animations, endless dungeons, more community, revised skill system, PvP rewards, xp ladders, new classes, killing Imperius, it will all be there.

The carrots they give us until then will be small because they don't want to invalidate all the money people have spent on the RMAH.
Reply Quote
02/20/2013 07:03 AMPosted by Dikembe
because they don't want to invalidate all the money people have spent on the RMAH

...crafted gear did just that for quite a bit of gear...

smh
Reply Quote
The game has no leader right now.. With no formal announcement of a new Game Director we are all in digital limbo. I don't imagine they are even working on the expansion right now other than maybe the art department and some programmers using models that were approved before we lost our director. Best guess for anything regarding the new path for this game is this summer and maybe we will learn more?
Reply Quote
Answer: Blizzard has taken the government bailout approach to solving problems and determining content for the next patch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqPEJIQPWN0
Reply Quote
If you want some sort of end game idea they should go with, simply allow you to reset you char at lvl 100 paragon keeping the stats you gained those 100 lvls on ur new char as lvl 0 stats call the new char ur gen 1 char or some !@#$ TADA everyone has to play through the game again, %^-* allow them to do this 10 times people WILL DO IT, when they reset obviously remove the mf/gf hell if u wanna vary abilities of chars allow them to Xfer those base stats to a dif char type but you only get 1 choice... im just saying... simple solution... allows infinite game play...
Reply Quote
View profile

Well, I mean, what do you want to do if you'd be in their place?
Imagine you are the creator of the game. You got 'shared programmers' that are on your little Diablo project.
The game gets released, many programmers, CMs and artists are re-assigned to different projects...

Now you got a finished game, a community crying out loud and only a few resources to fix up whats left.

I imagine them to make weekly meetings and talk about the problems of this game. Then they will make a list and prioritize stuff they might be able to patch relatively quickly.

General problems with this game just cannot be addressed in that manner. I cannot image this to be the task of the current development team.
To fix general problems, you need time, resources and a new game director ;)
So that is why many people think, we will realistically have to wait for an expansion to come out.

I don't say "hey an expansion will fix everything" without much thought. Game development has become a serious business and EA/Blizzard has become a company that has to please their stockholders.

Ask yourself the question what you would do. Think about the circumstances realistically. Many people here are 30, 40 or 50 years old. Many of them will have gathered experiences with project-work in real life and can imagine how that would be.

First of all I would fix itemization. Getting all gear where most of what drops will have a good chance of being useful to you in some way. I would try to make the gear where you could even have some themed builds based off of the gear. Like Wolf Barbarian builds in D2.

What this would do is give players a reason to keep farming. They would also try different gear setups. Next on the agenda would be fixing coop by making it more rewarding. Increasing the rewards for coop would now mean that this portion of the game will have received the loving care it needs. You would have more players opening their games to the public. Instead of having bots you would have more real players to play with.

Then take a patch to fix all of the class issues as best as you can possibly do. There would be some number tweaking, maybe some overhauling of some skills. Increasing build diversity through buffing, very little to no nerfing, would have the net result of more players playing.

Finally the last piece of the puzzle would be crafting, a good crafting system that is not a gambling style that it is now. I would try to take some of the recipes that were in D3 and incorporate them here. Like Blood, Caster, Saftey, and Hit Power. Does anyone remember them at all.

Now the expansion could be completing what the patches could not do and adding in new features as well.

What I am saying is taking one patch and focusing on one key issue is far better than trying to hit multiple issues all at the same time.
Reply Quote
View profile
02/20/2013 06:05 AMPosted by TBomb99

I agree crafting should not suck. But have you tried the new plans? It doesnt even take close to creating hundreds of items to surpass everything. Look at my WD's shoulders and Ammy.
Shoulders: 303 Intel, 44 Vit, 4 Life, 71 AR. Ammy: 21-55 Dam, 211 Intel, 72 CD, 7.5 CC. Both of these were crafted after one runs worth of materials, both on first attempts.

I was there from the launch. And I agree it wasnt a smooth curve, they pretty much nerfed it to the ground.

Some players will get a few lucky hits. While others will take a good while before they craft a decent upgrade. More so if they are at the high end of the food chain of gear. Meaning if you have around 250k+ dps. Then chances of them getting a good upgrade from crafting will be smaller than someone that is under 100k dps.

What I am saying is real simple if you already got trifecta gloves amy, rings. All with near perfect rolls. Then the chances of getting something better than that will be small.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]