Diablo® III

Need advice. SnB or TR/WoL. No budget.

Hey I am looking to upgrade my gear and want advice on builds/what items I should keep and what I should look for. Looking to spend 3-4 bill but have deep pockets on d3jsp if I need to spend more.
Was considering something similar to Druin's 2h wol/tr but something like puddinghead's snb build would work too. Possibly purchasing both sets for different moods. Am willing to spend 2-3 bill on a single item if it is BIS or at least BiKnown.
Reply Quote
If you wanna do something special take the time to do the best possible LTK build.

You need a crazy roll mara's, SoJ and skull grasp with -cost LTK (check them on D3 guide site for max rolls) and a crazy shield also with -cost LTK.

You need an amazing MH weapon with 2+ spirit regen + all the other normal stats. I would use an Inna's radiance with 2+ spirit regen for a helm as well. Gear up everything else as normal.

The goal is to run LTK (skorpion sting rune) as your main attack without a builder. Maybe have a builder as backup but shouldn't be very needed. If you can get the DPS up it basically works like a HotA barb with perma-stun.

Another option is to forgoe the -LTK on a shield for an offhand with more crit damage and spirit regen.

AFAIK no one has really pulled this off properly yet.
Reply Quote
Given that I've never done either of those, I feel really qualified to answer this!

Imo, S&B is more ideally suited to doing high-end PvE content (read: Ubers/MP 10) and PvP. TR/Bells is probably the best build/set for quick and efficient farming (whether that be Exp for pLvl or Pack farming in VotA for legs/Demonic Essences).

That being said, I do believe Druin plans on PvPing in his TR/Bells gear so it is probably possible to do that as well. I don't know how well that sets translates to stuff like Ubers or MP 10 though.
Reply Quote
02/15/2013 07:33 AMPosted by Karandor
If you wanna do something special take the time to do the best possible LTK build.

Those items get you to -20 LTK

LTK costs you 30 spirit

You will have around 1.9 APS so LTK costs you 19 Spirit/sec

You will need to regen a lot of spirit for it

Besides your crit chance and crit dmg went right out the window, I dont think you can get over 140K DPS with this

Are you sure this is some end-game build? (I have tried it - so I already know it sucks)

It is fun tho.
Reply Quote
I was sold on a SnB LTK build prior to 1.0.7 but frankly I think WoL is amazing. OP my budget is tiny so surely you can buy whatever you want but I would only think WoL gets better with better gear. I've never done the math to know if going for skill bonus pieces works out better than just building a solid universally usuable set. Imho, I'd probably build a top-notch set that wasn't skill dependent so then you can change up things and not worry about it...but like I said I have no idea how the math works in favor or against this strategy.

I would think at your budget level you could eliminate OWE and maybe STI if you do your shopping carefully - and still have a rock star of a monk.
Reply Quote
I myself if I had no budget would simply do both :)

Can I ask what exactly are your goals for the monk you want to build?

Actually all the gear from a SnB besides the weapon and shield could carry over to a WoL TR build all you would need is to switch a few spirit regen items in.

Also I agree take your time to figure out exactly what you want to do yourself.
Reply Quote
I myself if I had no budget would simply do both :)

Can I ask what exactly are your goals for the monk you want to build?

Actually all the gear from a SnB besides the weapon and shield could carry over to a WoL TR build all you would need is to switch a few spirit regen items in.

Also I agree take your time to figure out exactly what you want to do yourself.

I don't know that this is true.

Look at Druin's profile vs Jco

Druin: https://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Druin-1518/hero/2296
jco: https://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/jco310-1218/hero/10229623

Of course, Druin logged out in weird gear. Of course he did!

Anyway, you for TR/Bells I'm assuming you need:
-4x Inna
-No Nats!
-WoL SoJ
-2her

And if you want to get really into it, TR build doesn't want AS on items while I'd assume you do want it for S&B. So that's at least 5 different items not counting if you want to remove AS on things like gloves, rings, ammy.

Narc's profile currently shows him logged out in TR/Bells: https://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Narcolepsy-1563/hero/29171392

He is using Nats.
Reply Quote
Well, What I want to do is have a set that I can farm through mp0-3 and walk over the minions. On the other hand I want something that I can hop into mp9-10 and hold my own without worrying about ever single suffix and have to run hover finger serenity and kite until its up again. The Tr/WOL idea was just discovered by me recently reading through some posts. I guess I would be willing to pay something to help me build together a set and would like some advice on whether any of the pieces I have are worth keeping. I have a scorn with 5.8 ls 300 dex 160 crit with like 1450ish max damage. I don't know how I feel about a faster attack speed with that. I also have an SOJ with 6% cold damage 2.2 sr , 28% elite with 6% WoL Crit. I guess I figured I had better stats when I threw together some stuff and was sadly mistaken. Also I'm bidding on a Mempo of twilight that is 2 dex less than puddinghead. I was told to avoid ais with TR/WoL for spirit costs. BUT I was curious if I got my spirit regen high enough to sustain it is there any reason why I would still avoid IAS? Any bugs or anything. I am new to the monk class I have a very high ranked barb. BUT I'm keeping things separate.
Reply Quote
Thanks for all the response guys, I really didn't expect this sort of attention on a public forum run by blizzard. If there are any type of experimental builds that any of you have been thinking about that would require a certain stat type or w/e I could give it a shot as well. Also if I wouldn't be crossing my bounds if there is anyone with close to perfect stat gear that would match a slot perfectly and others would agree I would overpay like an idiot..
Reply Quote
I have about 5 different sets (for all out dmg (270k dps) to all out ehp (3.5mil) and a lotta items to increase dmg or reducing costs).

I dont have 'top of the line insane crazy gear' because I choose that I want to have a lotta different builds instead of just one. I could of gone with 1 build and BIS items but I spend my billions on a lot of good gear and giving me a lot of options from TR to Cyclone strike to Palm to Thunderclap to Bells to any combination of them and high spirit regen (18/sec) to no regen.

If you just wanna go all out dmg and get a hard-on then you just go;

crit mempo / inna chest / TWH / crit-allres Lacuni / Inna pants / Nats boots / Crit-Nats ring / SOJ / Trifect gloves / Trifect amu / Vile ward / EF socket + crit or LS offhand / High DPS (base dmg - no AS) crit + LS sock mainhand

Of course stuff with allres, vit and max out dex.

But this build has limitations - like spirit regen... with just a SOJ it's only 1-2.33 on gear. You are basically dead in the water if you're out of spirit (pvp?)...

It's more about what you want, but the 'all out dmg' set is definitely the most expensive to get... and savest as well because in PVE (unless youre walways fooling around with !@#$ like me) you generally want to max out your dmg to kill stuff fast... you cannot really go wrong with it.

If you wanna see some examples; you can check out this guy to have an idea:
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/INVIS-2291/hero/130395

I dont think that is within your budget tho (neither in mine) but that is an all out DPS monk who still have good EHP and runs MP10

As for PVP you definitely want DPS against Barb, but you need other stats against other players (SnB is good vs DH/Wizz/WD for instance)

goodluck
Reply Quote
02/15/2013 08:45 AMPosted by s4b0t
Well, What I want to do is have a set that I can farm through mp0-3 and walk over the minions. On the other hand I want something that I can hop into mp9-10 and hold my own without worrying about ever single suffix and have to run hover finger serenity and kite until its up again. The Tr/WOL idea was just discovered by me recently reading through some posts. I guess I would be willing to pay something to help me build together a set and would like some advice on whether any of the pieces I have are worth keeping. I have a scorn with 5.8 ls 300 dex 160 crit with like 1450ish max damage. I don't know how I feel about a faster attack speed with that. I also have an SOJ with 6% cold damage 2.2 sr , 28% elite with 6% WoL Crit. I guess I figured I had better stats when I threw together some stuff and was sadly mistaken. Also I'm bidding on a Mempo of twilight that is 2 dex less than puddinghead. I was told to avoid ais with TR/WoL for spirit costs. BUT I was curious if I got my spirit regen high enough to sustain it is there any reason why I would still avoid IAS? Any bugs or anything. I am new to the monk class I have a very high ranked barb. BUT I'm keeping things separate.

Skorn seems good and SoJ seems good.

Basically the reason most people avoid iAS when building for TR is that it drains 10*[Your attack speed] every second. If you get too high with your AS you will need to change abilities to compensate (moving from MoC/Submission to MoH/Circ Breathing for example).

I suppose SW no longer snapshotting removes the requirement of having 4 piece Inna, but it really does make it easier. And having peeked a little bit at Narc and Druin's TR/Bell spec, they are using Inner Storm which only provides its benefit at full stacks. So it seems like that is important! If that's the case, you are not going to want to use a Mempo for TR for several reasons:
1) Breaks 4 piece Inna's
2) Has iAS
3) Has no spirit regen

If you are serious about getting into TR, I highly suggest reading through Druin's guide on it:
https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7415793376

It hasn't been updated with 1.07 stuff yet (I think), but the general principles still apply and it will help you understand what you are looking for.
Reply Quote
If you just wanna go all out dmg and get a hard-on then you just go;

crit mempo / inna chest / TWH / crit-allres Lacuni / Inna pants / Nats boots / Crit-Nats ring / SOJ / Trifect gloves / Trifect amu / Vile ward / EF socket + crit or LS offhand / High DPS (base dmg - no AS) crit + LS sock mainhand

Of course stuff with allres, vit and max out dex.

But this build has limitations - like spirit regen... with just a SOJ it's only 1-2.33 on gear. You are basically dead in the water if you're out of spirit (pvp?)...

It's more about what you want, but the 'all out dmg' set is definitely the most expensive to get... and savest as well because in PVE (unless youre walways fooling around with !@#$ like me) you generally want to max out your dmg to kill stuff fast... you cannot really go wrong with it.

If you wanna see some examples; you can check out this guy to have an idea:
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/INVIS-2291/hero/130395

I dont think that is within your budget tho (neither in mine) but that is an all out DPS monk who still have good EHP and runs MP10

Well I guess if his setup is completely optimal it is something I could shoot for. I'll start with a budget of 10 billion and go from there. I have a feeling when I get close to those perfect stats I'm looking for I won't be able to utilize the AH. Any other trading forums other than d3jsp that I can use to locate pieces? I have 6k forum gold on d3jsp and 100k forum gold on d2jsp as well as up to 50 billion I could delve into if I want to make the 'topish monk'
Reply Quote
02/15/2013 11:09 AMPosted by s4b0t
I have 6k forum gold on d3jsp and 100k forum gold on d2jsp as well as up to 50 billion I could delve into if I want to make the 'topish monk'

jesus...how?
Reply Quote
02/15/2013 11:09 AMPosted by s4b0t
I have 6k forum gold on d3jsp and 100k forum gold on d2jsp as well as up to 50 billion I could delve into if I want to make the 'topish monk'

I have 20 million and i'm feeling frisky
Reply Quote
50 BILLION??? Thats like err 12.5k USD!

How? You barely played D3 from the looks of it, and willing to spend that amount just like that?

Jealous Much!!
Reply Quote
If you want top items you can search the item database on diabloprogress.com for the item you need and contact the person who has it. But you better know the prices before you blow away 2 bil+ on an item... and pretty sure they will not accept forum gold.

before you do any trade you check up on the player on site like d3blacklist.com (search b.tag) to see if the person is a known scammer or you use a trade mod (but they cannot always be trusted with 5bil+a 5bil item in their inventory (or $2500)).

you will most likely not find an EF with those stats on AH, tho most items can be found on AH.
Edited by prod#2134 on 2/15/2013 1:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
TR/WOL is the best and most fun build imo. Im doing VOTA runs in 2.5 mins on MP1 clearing all mobs farming demonic essence. I could just go after the elites but only takes a few more seconds to clear everything to get more legendarys. WOL one shots elites most of the time if you catch them close together.

If you get a good Skorn with LS you can use this build up to MP10 but you would need good gear to do so.

You don't need a Skorn with LS for low MP levels as health globes keep you alive when needed, especially if you get pick up radius. Depending on your damage you also can have peices with IAS as you can use more skill slots and passives for spirit generation. I use nats and highly recommend it, plus my gloves and pants have IAS and I never have an issue with spirit. Higher MP levels you will need more spirit regen to spam WOL so IAS may hurt you there.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
02/15/2013 08:28 AMPosted by Piffle
Of course, Druin logged out in weird gear. Of course he did!

I am logged out in my PVP gear.

I can't use my actual TR/Bells gear for pvp because it has zero vit. :D
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]