Diablo® III

How accurate is this incgamers.com article?

Blizzard linked an article from the diabloincgamers.com site:

http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/diablo-3-crafting-strategy-the-new-archon-items

If I'm reading this correctly, the best Archon crafting options for a monk, not considering what the monk is currently wearing, are these:

• DEX chest
  • VIT gloves
  • DEX or VIT shoulders
  • DEX or VIT bracers
  • DEX or VIT amulet

The article focuses on the combination of DEX and VIT, which isn't necessarily the biggest factor but is certainly an easy way of analyzing BIS. The article also points out that crafting will be more valuable if you play multiple classes, in which case I could see VIT choices being good because they'll probably roll well for one or more of your alts. That's not a concern for me, as I have no plans to move on from Monk any time soon.

So these are my two big questions:

1. Is this list of "what to craft" correct?
2. Would it make more sense for Monk-only or Monk/DH-only players to focus on DEX pieces?

Thanks.
Reply Quote
I just read it, and don't really agree with his standpoint on the crafting, and he should have had someone proofread it. It has some good points, and good information, but at the end some of those turn out rather irrelevant.

I've crafted maybe 500 or so items so far, and plan to just continue crafting the way i've been crafting.

-----

One of the issue I have with his analysis is that he seems to confuse affix counts within his article. Things like: "Those max totals all spend 3 of the 5 random modifiers just to build stats" aren't actually true statements, since he's talking about using a guaranteed affix + 2 randoms, leaving 3 random affixes free.

Then there's examples like shoulders, where he's basically just talking about main stats. A simple AH search will show that stats like the AR, Armor, and Life Regen (especially after 1.0.7) are all quite premium stats. There's a few more misc issues here and there with the article (I kind of wonder how much those people the write the articles actually play the game), though overall I guess it was a decent read just to see how other people think.
Reply Quote
I think it depends on how good your existing gear is.

My previous Strongarm bracers where truly lousy compared to this crafted bracers, and was easily beaten by a lousy 3rd time craft (which I have since vendored). Took me about 100+ tries to reach my current bracer.

Also trying for shoulders and gloves, because I think my ammy and chest arent easy to beat.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the feedback. In addition to the 2/3 affixes error, the author subs DEX/INT for STR/VIT once or twice. Just a warning for anyone who reads it: read carefully!
Reply Quote
Not using Inna's 4PC seems so annoying to me. So I can't agree on the chest, and if you already had good Vile Ward's, shoulder is a bit rough.
Reply Quote
I rolled good shoulders after 15 attempts. My VW was pretty good, too. So it doesn't have nearly the DEX Fitz's has, but it has an extra 10 VIT, my chosen elemental resistance, and a huge HG/pot bonus. Any potion or globe puts me back in great shape.

Regarding Inna's I said this in another thread, but I'll say it again here: starting SW cold and getting it up to 3 stacks is easy. Only TR players and overgeared farmers should be worried about losing their crit stacks between fights. Am I missing something about the value of it elsewhere? Of course, with 240K DPS, maybe even MP10 falls into the "overgeared farmer" territory, in which case I could see why you wouldn't want it to drop.
Reply Quote
02/22/2013 09:59 AMPosted by Vrkhyz
Regarding Inna's I said this in another thread, but I'll say it again here: starting SW cold and getting it up to 3 stacks is easy. Only TR players and overgeared farmers should be worried about losing their crit stacks between fights. Am I missing something about the value of it elsewhere?

One thing I've noticed is that it's hard to run both SW and big spirit spender like WoL in the same build if you have to spend 75 spirit at the beginning of the fight. I've never really run with 4-piece Inna's myself, but the ramp up time (especially if I'm also using BoH and want to be flashing my Mantra) makes me wonder if having virtually free SW might be worth a shot. Particularly with all the buffs to spenders lately.
Edited by Demiwraith#1534 on 2/22/2013 10:16 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
Demi it's hard in lower MPs cause everything dies fairly quickly but higher you have time to hit 3-4 time to gain the spirit to dump a bell or whatnot in the middle of fight with sweeping up. To make it easier I first used Bells with rune to make it cost cheaper. After that you can get a feel for it and then jump to bigger damage runes. My 2 cents at least.
Reply Quote
I rolled good shoulders after 15 attempts. My VW was pretty good, too. So it doesn't have nearly the DEX Fitz's has, but it has an extra 10 VIT, my chosen elemental resistance, and a huge HG/pot bonus. Any potion or globe puts me back in great shape.

Regarding Inna's I said this in another thread, but I'll say it again here: starting SW cold and getting it up to 3 stacks is easy. Only TR players and overgeared farmers should be worried about losing their crit stacks between fights. Am I missing something about the value of it elsewhere? Of course, with 240K DPS, maybe even MP10 falls into the "overgeared farmer" territory, in which case I could see why you wouldn't want it to drop.

Addressed my thoughts on this in the other thread, but might as well elaborate here too. What I value it for is the spirit savings of putting it up in general, not the stacks (although admittedly you tend to maintain the stacks too when it costs so little). 75 spirit is _not_ a small amount when you're using the base amount of spirit, that's half your bar.

A lot of my perspective on this probably revolves around how fanatical I am about efficiency. Unless I'm doing something with friends like ubers, I tend to gravitate towards an MP where I don't waste time killing things. Anything above 4-6s on a champion pack to me is slow, so Inna's allows me to both kill things really, really quickly and still not run out of spirit while spamming conviction, etc.

At the end of the day, there's a lot of things you can do with 75 spirit. Dashing strike sprinting around. Conviction spam. Actual spirit spenders. Meanwhile, what are you getting for not using Inna's? The best Inna pieces can be quite nice, and the only real game-changer you're missing out on is Mempo's.
Reply Quote
02/22/2013 11:12 AMPosted by Fitz
The best Inna pieces can be quite nice, and the only real game-changer you're missing out on is Mempo's.

and WH.

Yeah, I don't really understand the WH hype because I've compared a fair number of middling ones that are significant downgrades for me.
Reply Quote
@Zeriel

The situations where an Inna's belt beats out a WH are slim, and generally has to do with gearing choice. Additionally going with an Inna's belt puts greater strain potentially on other pieces to find the correct stats for balancing purposes.

I'd be interested in seeing what you normally use gear wise, rather than what looks like your farming gear in profile currently?
Reply Quote
@Zeriel

The situations where an Inna's belt beats out a WH are slim, and generally has to do with gearing choice. Additionally going with an Inna's belt puts greater strain potentially on other pieces to find the correct stats for balancing purposes.

I'd be interested in seeing what you normally use gear wise, rather than what looks like your farming gear in profile currently?

As a point of comparison, that would imply that WH has survivability to boast that Inna's doesn't, if it's not winning out in damage. And I'm pretty sure we all know WH is notorious for being really light on anything but damage.

I had the feeling maybe I was comparing mediocre WH's to my belt, so I went and looked at the best dex WH's on the AH. The really pricy ones are 4K-5K upgrades, so they're technically a DPS upgrade for 200M-1B. So you're right technically--that just doesn't seem like a huge amount to me.
Reply Quote
@Zeriel

As a point of comparison, that would imply that WH has survivability to boast that Inna's doesn't, if it's not winning out in damage. And I'm pretty sure we all know WH is notorious for being really light on anything but damage.

I had the feeling maybe I was comparing mediocre WH's to my belt, so I went and looked at the best dex WH's on the AH. The really pricy ones are 4K-5K upgrades, so they're technically a DPS upgrade for 200M-1B. So you're right technically--that just doesn't seem like a huge amount to me.

I recently made this switch.

Even with black weapons, the WH represented a 2-3k dps upgrade, but it also represented a 40-50k EH upgrade.

The thing that is nice about WH is that you can get Vit in addition to resist, so that's a nice jump of EH right there. It also allows you to expand your weapon search from only black to all types.

---
@OP
Vit might be a good call if you are trying to gear out multiple characters.

But it doesn't make sense to craft a Vit chest since that is the one place that Vit can roll up to 200.

I also don't think it makes sense to roll Vit gloves, because the only way you are coming out ahead in terms of Dex+Vit stats is if you sacrifice a damage affix.

So, for example:
Dex Gloves:
-200-230 dex guaranteed
1. 100 dex + 100 vit
2. 80 AR
3. CC
4. AS
5. CD

Total: 300 dex, 100 vit etc.

Vit Gloves:
-200-230 vit guaranteed
1. 200 dex
2. 80 AR
3. CC
4. AS
5. CD

Total: 200 dex, 200 vit, etc.

In both cases you are getting 400 total stats. Only if you replace #5 with a singular dex or vit roll does this change the equation and give the vit gloves an extra 100 stats overall.
Reply Quote
Addressed my thoughts on this in the other thread, but might as well elaborate here too. What I value it for is the spirit savings of putting it up in general, not the stacks (although admittedly you tend to maintain the stacks too when it costs so little). 75 spirit is _not_ a small amount when you're using the base amount of spirit, that's half your bar. A lot of my perspective on this probably revolves around how fanatical I am about efficiency. Unless I'm doing something with friends like ubers, I tend to gravitate towards an MP where I don't waste time killing things. Anything above 4-6s on a champion pack to me is slow, so Inna's allows me to both kill things really, really quickly and still not run out of spirit while spamming conviction, etc.

This makes sense. You're essentially coming from the "overgeared farming" perspective. For those players, I agree that the Inna's buff is pretty damn sweet, and they need the spirit they save to channel TR, drop bells, and do other fun stuff. I just get confused when someone posts something like, "I can't handle MP4 and keep dying and my SW keeps falling off." Those players, I think, get confused by all this talk of Inna's from TR players (mostly) and think they can't possibly let it drop, ever.

Anyway, I'm off to pick up the pizza :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]