Diablo® III

Has anyone actually played diablo 2 recently?

View profile
Even though this is a relatively old thread, I'll bite. I still play D2 on a semi-regular basis. I'd spend hours per game session. I get bored with D3 after about half an hour or so.

It honestly doesn't matter one iota that I've played D2 for over a decade. I still fire it up between games of SC2 or WoW. D3 just collects dust in my hard drive's sectors.

I don't feel bad at all about D3. It came for free with my year-long WoW sub and it costs me nothing to maintain. It's not horrible, but it's not great. It just doesn't pull me in like D2 does.

Specs and features are nice to compare between the two, but the ultimate decider is whether a game keeps my attention or not. That's all that matters in the end. D2/D2LoD wins out in that department big time.
Reply Quote
Specs and features are nice to compare between the two, but the ultimate decider is whether a game keeps my attention or not. That's all that matters in the end.

Agreed.

D2/D2LoD wins out in that department big time.

Hm, D2 pre-LoD was not so strong, imo. I'm truly wondering how D3's first expansion will shape up.
Reply Quote
View profile
03/25/2013 07:42 PMPosted by Urthas
Specs and features are nice to compare between the two, but the ultimate decider is whether a game keeps my attention or not. That's all that matters in the end.

Agreed.

D2/D2LoD wins out in that department big time.

Hm, D2 pre-LoD was not so strong, imo. I'm truly wondering how D3's first expansion will shape up.

I'll fire it up and give it a whirl if/when it shows up. I've played most of Blizz's games, and I'm not about to stop now. My opinion of D3 is not completely frozen in carbonite, unlike some D2 die-hards.
Edited by Taisenextric#1183 on 3/25/2013 7:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
i got a lvl 86 hardcore assassin right now
Reply Quote
I miss the build variations that D2/LoD permitted. In D3 you pretty much have to build every character the same way. You have to have critical hit chance to proc something, you need this much armor, that much resistances and so on.

D2/LoD, you want to play a barbarian? How is that going to be? Frenzy, Whirly, Concentrate, Berserker, Iron man, Wolf barb, Singer or Throw barb. Each build needed different gear and skill points and D2/LoD was mostly fixed builds untill they introduced respec in the last days. But each build you needed different gear.
In D3, you just change your skills/runes and use the same gear. Now you just respec your skills and play WW, frenzy or HOTA with your two weapons or you might switch to a Skorn or SnB for something different.

D2/LoD I have 30 odd mat/patriarch. In D3 all I need is five characters with one equipment set each. part of the fun of playing D2/LoD was finding the items you needed for your next build D3 is about finding the best rolled items to put into the auction house and brim anything besides a Skorn or an Echoing Fury.

D2/LoD is about the characters and the Items. D3 is about the auction house.
Edited by Asmodeous#1189 on 3/25/2013 9:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I enjoy all three Diablo games. But it's difficult to prove which one is the best. My family played Diablo 1 when we were still new to gaming, and the Butcher was a villain and a half. Years later, I could always kill him on the first try. Finding Arcane's Valor was a high point when we weren't used to finding valuable items.

I beat Diablo 2 with every character, some of whom were better than others, and I definitely got my money's worth. And I've been enjoying Diablo 3 for ten months now.
Reply Quote
Obviously, this will get lots of negative responses, but just try to listen for a minute. I played Diablo 2, and it was awesome, lots of fun, I had great times with it. And initially, I was a little disappointing with Diablo 3 because it didn't quite live up to my expectations, since I had such good memories playing Diablo 2. But I went back, and actually played Diablo 2 just recently, and it's really not a better game overall, the only reason people are so angry, is because they're comparing the MEMORIES of diablo 2 to diablo 3 as it is right now, rather than actually comparing the games themselves.

If you doubt what I'm saying, just go back and try the second game, it's the memories of playing it that make it seem better, while it's really not.

I hope this doesn't feed dev's to go farther from what players want more than this game already has.
Edited by scorch#1821 on 3/25/2013 9:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/SkyTaO-1609/hero/31787162
Reply Quote
I disagree with OP. I played D2 the whole way through the ladder last year, before the D2 release, and it was still amazing. And right now im playing PoE which is the spiritual successor.
Reply Quote
View profile
graphics and animationwise, it seems like d2 is just.. .really, really old :/ compared to d3.
Reply Quote
02/24/2013 02:34 PMPosted by Jowii
If you doubt what I'm saying, just go back and try the second game, it's the memories of playing it that make it seem better, while it's really not.

I still play D2 regularly. As for D3, check my profile.

Why would I do this, if it's the 'memories of playing it that make it seem better, when it's really not.'

I'll let you work it out.
Reply Quote
I really enjoyed the character planning and creation process in diablo 2. Diablo 3 is aimed at a much more casual audiance and therefore has been watered down too much.

diablo 3 is a lot less complicated than diablo 2. In diablo 2 you had complicated skill-item relationships - in diablo 3 these do not exist. In diablo 3 items are nothing special in relationship to skills; a set of items does not make your skills work.

In diablo 2 i would sit down, look at a classes skills, and then I would think what items would be awesome for what skills. I would need this much ias, this much crushing blow, deadly strike, leech, resists, enhanced damage, etc... I would make spreadsheets or even programs that detailed the character skill/item relationships and damage output. You cant do this in diablo 3 because the items are too simple, and obtaining a desirable item is left too much to luck.

Removing the stats also watered down the complexity of the game. No longer can u go all strength or all dex, all energy - which could make some builds a lot more powerful, of course while trading hit points. Instead you have special class-based stat increases, as if that really balances the game. The game is mentally unbalanced.
Edited by Evilcrap#1424 on 4/10/2013 6:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm playing both of them simultaneously and all the two are damn good games.
Reply Quote
i did !@# you say i have playede d2 for 5 days now (ladder) and i have too say your SOO WRONG DOG. d2 is way better first ladder reset makes it alot funnyer i am top 10 in druid atm and top 300 all over.

diablo3 dont have any thing good too offer the late game sucks the way you join games is $%^-ty only 4 players in a game wtf is dat no body pvp ah is *!@#ing stupid i have made 3000eur on it and its not funny its more funny when you have to sell thing like in d2. + the way your skills is working in d2 is soo good instead of d3 where you can use all spells whit the same gear -.- and no lvl skills its a hole different game and it SUCKS. you cant get a boost whit some one the is 4 diffeculitis WHY you only wanna play normal and inferno and then you have too play nm and hell for nothing. + the map is the same HOLE time. d2 is a 5-7 different maps in every zone now dats more like it. i can keep writing $%^- about d3 and what d2 got that d3 dont got. but no body plays d2.

if you say to your freinds lets play d2 thay laugh at you and say "why the graphic is soo bad" and on and on about dat. and thay play wow -.- or lol xD
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]