Diablo® III

Has anyone actually played diablo 2 recently?

02/24/2013 02:54 PMPosted by Jowii
Got any other opinions you wish to state as facts, while we are paying attention?

I wasn't trying to state it as a fact, although it may have come across that way, I admit it is an opinion, but I'm trying to make people think that it is possible that it's not quite as good as they remember it to be

also if you could not be so sarcastic maybe? just trying to discuss the game not argue with people

I suppose I could. What exactly do you remember diablo 2 to be? Having to start from scratch and level up in diablo 2 is worse, without a doubt. A lot of that also has to do with the fact that I've done it 50 times over the years. But, also without a doubt, once you acquire wealth, diablo 2 is indefinitely more interesting than diablo 3 to me... Simply because of how many options for building interesting characters becomes open to you. That is what I remember diablo 2 to be, a game full of interesting and powerful items that I could base a character build around.
Reply Quote
02/24/2013 03:04 PMPosted by Dead
Still not sure what the point of this thread is. You say "D2's really not the better game overall", but you refuse to give so much as a single example why, or why D3's better, or how this is relevant, or anything of the sort.

It's just an opinion, man. You're looking for an argument I dont want to be in. I'm just getting people to think
Reply Quote
The problem is OP you can't see past the graphics.. you are one of them.. only take things at face value.

Ask yourself this OP.. or try and wrap your ahead around this simple fact...

Both D1 and D2 (the game you say isn't better overall) won awards.. D3 did not.. so how do you explain that?

Your also not even through hell.. I don't believe you will find anybody who contest the game was bad during hell.
Edited by Deadlysynz#1583 on 2/24/2013 3:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
I just found D2 + LoD on sale for $12 at EB Games in Australia! Needless to say I bought it and am in the process of installing it as I write this. Can't wait to play it again!
Reply Quote
02/24/2013 03:04 PMPosted by Sunhammer
I think the only sad thing about this thread is the need of some people for everyone to think the way they do.

I dont really care, it's just a question
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
02/24/2013 03:06 PMPosted by Jowii
Still not sure what the point of this thread is. You say "D2's really not the better game overall", but you refuse to give so much as a single example why, or why D3's better, or how this is relevant, or anything of the sort.

It's just an opinion, man. You're looking for an argument I dont want to be in. I'm just getting people to think

If you say so.

In my opinion, no contest, never was.
Reply Quote
First, the OP's profile is impressive...

Second, if we are comparing a game with its predecessor over which is outright better then something is already wrong. D3 should have been the evolution of D2 and the franchise, but instead it stripped everything that made D2 iconic out of the game.
Reply Quote
02/24/2013 03:07 PMPosted by Jowii
I think the only sad thing about this thread is the need of some people for everyone to think the way they do.

I dont really care, it's just a question

Come'on man, if you didn't care you would not have posted a thread telling people they needed to go back and see what you saw about d2

02/24/2013 03:06 PMPosted by Jowii

The "I'm trying to get people to think" is definitely loaded insult which has the implied "like me".
I think quite nicely, and often thank you. The best thing about my thinking is that I do it for myself.

Really, I am happy for you that you enjoy d3 better than d2. More power to you.

There are things I like about d3 better, and things I like about d2 better.
My major frustration is the new game business model of releasing a game totally unfinished, then changing the rules everytime someone throws a fit. Its like watching a football or basketball where the rules change every quarter. It gets old and tiring.

In the world I grew up in, releasing something, anything, then spending the next year "patching" it was a sign of incompetence.

But, again, my own op.
Reply Quote
I did. Installed D2 again a few months ago and I'm playing it again whenever I have time. As for D3, I no longer play it. I lost interest before MP and paragon levels were added. Those features should have been released with the game. It was inexcusable.

I stay informed within the forums only in the hopes of hearing good news. So far, the PS4 news was not exactly good news.
Reply Quote
why can't u give us reasons/examples of why u think d3 is better than d2? we get that it's ur opinion, but what is ur opinion based on?

edit: nvm, ur opinions/reasons don't really matter in regards to how good or bad d3 is seeing that u havent even made it out of hell act 2. rofl
Edited by Noodles#1630 on 2/24/2013 3:30 PM PST
Reply Quote
why can't u give us reasons/examples of why u think d3 is better than d2? we get that it's ur opinion, but what is ur opinion based on?

edit: nvm, ur opinions/reasons don't really matter in regards to how good or bad d3 is seeing that u havent even made it out of hell act 2. rofl

Ouch... And I was even nice enough to drop my sarcasm on request for this troll. : (
Reply Quote
I think the better question for the OP if they dare to answer back in the thread is:

How exactly do they feel D3 evolved from D2, considering all the options that D2 had.. and what we see in D3 now. Tough question.. one that logically cannot be answered in favor of D3.. but I'd like to hear their take on it.
Reply Quote

I wasn't trying to state it as a fact, although it may have come across that way, I admit it is an opinion, but I'm trying to make people think that it is possible that it's not quite as good as they remember it to be

sure sound like someone that used to work here...
Reply Quote
Paladin, Going smiter build all the way.
Reply Quote
02/24/2013 03:41 PMPosted by WhiteBootz
Paladin, Going smiter build all the way.

had one didn't like it, made a zeal... I felt so baddass with my zakarum and ethzerk
Reply Quote
Actually I have put in more time in D2 since last playing D3 than my total D3 playing time. If that sentence makes sense. You may need to read it a few times :)
Reply Quote
72 Gnome Rogue
Combat is without a doubt better in D3, heck you could argue the overall gameplay IS BETTER, BUT most of the systems surrounding the superior combat engine are atrocious. Itemization, Customization, Character Stats, Crafting, Lack of Randomization/Campaign etc. etc. etc., which IMO is more important in the long run. This is why D3 was enjoyable for most D2 vets at first, but once all of the above starts to sink in it kills any longevity this game hopes to have.
Edited by revpersona#1230 on 2/24/2013 3:57 PM PST
Reply Quote
I played d2 and LOD for well over 5 years and played d2 up till d3s release. I'd be willing to admit if you took both games, lined them up, and played through it one time on normal, I could see how you would like D3 more. D2 was fun in my opinion even out of the start, but its greatness didn't come into play until you had played for a while. Designing your own builds around specific gear and underutilized abilities and still being able to complete the game efficiently despite it being "impossible". Fighting to the death on HC was probably the most fun I've EVER had with a game, largely due to me being successful at it. Lvl 33 tele necro killing level 80+ characters and a lvl 37 hon sun dan yari barb that dominated LLD on uswest during 1.09. As many issues as d2 had with trigger hacks, dupes, and bots etc, I think people forget that there was still plenty of fun to be had actually playing the game and that hammerdins didn't exist for a very long time.
Reply Quote
@OP

Yeah, I agree with you. I got D3 the day it was released and it took me a couple months to figure out what you stated in your initial post. I couldn't figure out why I felt a little disappointed with this game. Then I went back and played D2, and realized exactly what you're saying. It's the memories that are different!

But in reality, D3 is a better game overall. And trust me, I didn't think I would ever say that any game was better than D2...ever! But yeah, it's 90% nostalgia. D2 is still an amazing game though (obviously)!
Edited by deacon8#1815 on 2/24/2013 3:57 PM PST
Reply Quote
D2 was fun for a long time, and even better with the expansion. But that was then. This thread would be like trying to compare Fallout 2 to Fallout 3. Dramatic differences no matter how you look at it, and mainly because of the gap of years between them.
It's fine to like both. Period. xD
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]