Diablo® III

how important is attack speed for WW barb?

I have really focused a lot on crit chance and crit damage for my WW barb. I have pretty much neglected attack speed. How vital is it? I have read some of the other posts about it, but I still don't quite understand it.

Do I need to significantly increase my attack speed to really take advantage of the build? How much would I need to add? Thanks
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6037344497
Reply Quote
You need enough IAS to permawrath. IMO the very minimum is 2 slots of 8IAS+ if you use an EF with at least .24aps+ or 27ias if you use a mace/dagger combo.
Reply Quote
02/24/2013 08:11 PMPosted by PhatPhoEater
You need enough IAS to permawrath. IMO the very minimum is 2 slots of 8IAS+ if you use an EF with at least .24aps+ or 27ias if you use a mace/dagger combo.

That isn't the minimum...but it can be hard to pull it off with less than that....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p56XSaqHYKY

One of my first vids where I perma-wrathed with a mace/dagger and only 8% IAS from my Lacuni's.

I wouldn't suggest someone unfamiliar with the build try it though.
Edited by Wayneold#1685 on 2/24/2013 8:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
Permawrathing in an MP above your dps will be much easier without proper IAS. Skorn users do this all the time to compensate for low aps. I'm talking about farming where you kill things quickly.
Reply Quote
they are all important, but i prioritized crit chance, ias, then crit dmg in that order.

think about it. if your attack speed is 3 aps vs 2 aps, that's 1/3 extra dmg per second.
Reply Quote
02/24/2013 10:42 PMPosted by PhatPhoEater
Permawrathing in an MP above your dps will be much easier without proper IAS. Skorn users do this all the time to compensate for low aps. I'm talking about farming where you kill things quickly.

Ok, here is an mp4 video of the same set-up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEOkh3K_iCI&feature=youtu.be

The only reason I had no IAS was because I did not understand breakpoints at the time....it wasn't because I did not think they were important once I did understand them. Obviously, the better breakpoint you achieve with relatively the same average damage the better off you will be in general. But there is no necessity when it comes to IAS and perma-wrathing.

they are all important, but i prioritized crit chance, ias, then crit dmg in that order.

think about it. if your attack speed is 3 aps vs 2 aps, that's 1/3 extra dmg per second.

He is talking about WW build, which deals with breakpoints, and unfortunately that type of simple math doesn't work exactly as such.
Reply Quote
sigh. I'm not gonna argue with keeping wrath in 1 segment of a 5 zone run. Keeps 2 has the highest mob density in act3, but good job. People can see despite the high mob density, your wrath timer was almost expired several times.

Besides your OH is an IAS dagger and with only 8ias on gear you are hitting 2.23 on the OH.
Reply Quote

He is talking about WW build, which deals with breakpoints, and unfortunately that type of simple math doesn't work exactly as such.

maybe i'm not understanding something, but why is my statement incorrect?
Reply Quote
I love IAS.
Reply Quote
02/25/2013 05:23 AMPosted by Wayneold

Ok, here is an mp4 video of the same set-up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEOkh3K_iCI&feature=youtu.be

The only reason I had no IAS was because I did not understand breakpoints at the time....it wasn't because I did not think they were important once I did understand them. Obviously, the better breakpoint you achieve with relatively the same average damage the better off you will be in general. But there is no necessity when it comes to IAS and perma-wrathing.

If you had followed my PTR testing back in September, as well as my Rend + OPKS explanation, you wouldn't look like such a noob.
Reply Quote

maybe i'm not understanding something, but why is my statement incorrect?

Because breakpoints work in a system where they increase, and then level off until they reach another breakpoint. For simplicities sake if someone has 2 attacks per second and they change gear, and without changing any other damage modifiers other than attack speed they end up with 2.21 attacks per second they will still deal the exact same damage with a whirlwind build, despite increasing their attack speed by 10.5%. They gain literally no benefit.

For more information:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6037344497?page=1

02/25/2013 09:18 AMPosted by acrimonious
If you had followed my PTR testing back in September, as well as my Rend + OPKS explanation, you wouldn't look like such a noob.

Watered-down Joch is calling me a noob.....

I am so confused by this post....

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_fhvrGBeVQKI/Rq2rZwOjAFI/AAAAAAAAAcg/1UxoZo8yoFU/s400/Bunny%2BPancake.jpg
Edited by Wayneold#1685 on 2/25/2013 12:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
I guess my biggest question is this:

Is increasing the tick speed of tornadoes and whirlwind more about fury generation or the damage it does?

I have the full IK set and I duel wield mighty weapons, so fury generation is not an issue for me. If that is the case, should I just focus on more crit chance/damage, or is it still smart to try to increase my tick speed for the damage?
Reply Quote
Attack speed makes a difference with damage, a significant difference.
Reply Quote
I've helped some friends starting out build ww barbs and cm wizards, and what I usually tell them is to disregard crit damage altogether and just get as much ias and cc as possible. Yes, overstacking ias "inflates" your DPS, but my mentality is, that more is better than less for a beginner. That doesn't mean to blindly overstack, but, they'll likely be upgrading so frequently and won't have every piece planned out, so it's better to leave some wiggle room of a few APS above a breakpoint. High breakpoints and crit chance are what give the build functionality, higher damage in the form of strength, cd, and +damage are gravy on top that get added over time.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]