Diablo® III

SNS with meteor = FAIL

(Locked)

At least it did for me anyway. I am sure your results will vary so do your own testing to make your own conclusion. I am not saying meteor fails at all, just that replacing EB with meteor in your SNS build does. Adding meteor in place of teleport may be a good option for dps, however, the loss of mobility may not be worth it and that last yellow elite in the pack will be a real pain since your freeze will suffer.

MP 10 Ghom. Full SNS with EB. Total kill time 71 seconds.

http://youtu.be/HPZ3G9ifMtA

MP 10 Ghom. Full SNS with meteor. Total kill time 83 seconds.

http://youtu.be/wu5gik9r2_g

MP 10 Ghom. Full SNS with meteor and confag. Totall kill time 79 seconds.

http://youtu.be/hXWAyyGXeV8

As you can see, arcane power was no problem with only 19 APoC. Meteor taking up that attack turn appears to reduce the effectiveness of your freeze allowing the target to move slightly and get out of position of the twisters. He also got off more attacks and my effective LOH went down the toilet. Using conflag instead of cold snap, I nearly died from ghoms fart cloud due to insufficient LOH and I have 1100 at 2.82 APS.

Simply swapping EB for meteor resulted in a poor freeze and much lower eDPS. Dropping EVO for conflag resulted in an even worse freeze but it did help to increase eDPS. Unfortunately, the best case meteor with conflag still fell short of EB by a full 8 seconds.

BTW, videos may still be uploading.
Edited by KillerElite#1853 on 2/26/2013 2:39 PM PST
Great testing KillerElite, thanks!
- Diablo III (Wizard)
View profile
how does this reconcile with Aimless's recent post on meteors...
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7979508915

I get excited, then not excited, then excited again. At work right now. Guess I just need to try for myself and see. And stop being a lemming....lol.
how does this reconcile with Aimless's recent post on meteors...
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7979508915

I get excited, then not excited, then excited again. At work right now. Guess I just need to try for myself and see. And stop being a lemming....lol.

Like I said individual results will vary. I could probably make meteors more effective for me with a bit more practice but there is a pretty large gap to fill.
Aimless's build runs EB. OP is talking about dropping explosive blast for meteor, instead of what most builds drop is teleport.
I'm still dying when I pick meteor instead of EB, mp8-10. But I was sure meteor dealt more dmg. Nice post.
Going out for dinner and will have a look at that thread later tonight.
- Diablo III (Wizard)
View profile
02/26/2013 02:00 PMPosted by KillerElite
just that adding meteor to your SNS build does when compared to EB.

Yes, I got it. This statement was a little confusing.....should have been "replacing" instead of "compared"

But my bad.

Killer....did you use Molten Impact or Liquify? Would Liquify pick up the extra procs that you need?
I would assume this is all because meteor uses an attack turn, while EB does not. Therefore, meteor slows down your tornadoes, and tornadoes beat meteors for procs any day of the week.

Except Tuesday.
You want to get to the point where you only use twister once to power your windup, then spam meteors without letting go and having your rotation constant. You need EB to do this, and in most cases, more than a single target. I have to assume with 30 apoc and enough CC you can sustain meteor and your rotation on one target, but I don't know what the numbers are.
02/26/2013 02:23 PMPosted by PieHole
just that adding meteor to your SNS build does when compared to EB.

Yes, I got it. This statement was a little confusing.....should have been "replacing" instead of "compared"

But my bad.

Killer....did you use Molten Impact or Liquify? Would Liquify pick up the extra procs that you need?

Corrected :) Molten impact. Liquify may help at the loss of edps. Have not tried it.
02/26/2013 02:37 PMPosted by couchy
You want to get to the point where you only use twister once to power your windup, then spam meteors without letting go and having your rotation constant. You need EB to do this, and in most cases, more than a single target. I have to assume with 30 apoc and enough CC you can sustain meteor and your rotation on one target, but I don't know what the numbers are.

Then you might as well just use a straight up meteor build :) I was only doing some testing after reading a few threads about how great replacing EB with meteor is.
Well, SNS Meteor, for most of us, was never Meteor>EB. It's always Meteor>Teleport. It's Aph's build, and back then many players still played with 30 APoC.

Nonetheless I have never seen the idea Meteor>EB until recently, and there is a reason for that.
MP 10 Ghom. Full SNS with EB. Total kill time 71 seconds.

http://youtu.be/HPZ3G9ifMtA

MP 10 Ghom. Full SNS with meteor. Total kill time 83 seconds.

http://youtu.be/wu5gik9r2_g
Sounds about right. I did the same tests today myself (posted them in two other threads) and showed the exact same thing. Replacing Meteor for EB is a very BAD idea.
Yeah lol I never considered it as an option. However I still tested it and the result was not good. Without EB I lost too much EDPS.
If you replaced EB with Meteor the buid is crap, it uses 3 attack turns killing the spec and your freeze strength.

Where SNS-Meteor(instead of tele) shines is on Elites/whites, not single target Bosses like Ghom. And the build in multiplay where there's another Freeze wizard letting you drop FN and pickup Time Warp is OP as hell. A true Meteor spam build.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#VPXhgT!gWe!YaccZc

Overall solo though I still prefer SNS-Tele to farm solo with.
Edited by Aphraell#1269 on 2/26/2013 2:55 PM PST
02/26/2013 02:37 PMPosted by couchy

Well, SNS Meteor, for most of us, was never Meteor>EB. It's always Meteor>Teleport. It's Aph's build, and back then many players still played with 30 APoC.

Nonetheless I have never seen the idea Meteor>EB until recently, and there is a reason for that.

Yep, really couldn't have said it better. As for me I am at infinite meteors random single target elite (and not larger models either) Liquefy is the best possible replacement or additive skill. I surmise that at 2.74 (I was running 2.42) Liquefy@ 28 or higher Apoc could be used as a replacement for et/WW with Good meteor gear. The constraints for doing it via Meteor's with 20 Apoc is about the same as 10 Apoc via twister. Granted none of this stuff is cheap and with Todo's Force with high meteor and apoc going for 600 or more I would NEVER advise doing a total re-gear. But for end-game with an unlimited budget. I could potentially see meteor's as totally viable as a replacement for Et or Teleport.
Edited by Harrowing#1449 on 2/26/2013 3:06 PM PST

Yep, really couldn't have said it better. As for me I am at infinite meteors random single target elite (and not larger models either) Liquefy is the best possible replacement or additive skill. I surmise that at 2.74 (I was running 2.42) Liquef@ 28 or higher Apoc could be used as a replacement for et/WW with Good meteor gear. The constraints for doing it via Meteor's with 20 Apoc is about the same as 10 Apoc via twister. Granted none of this stuff is cheap and with Todo's Force with high meteor and apoc going for 600 or more I would NEVER advise doing a total re-gear. But for end-game with an unlimited budget I could see meteor's as totally viable. As a replacement for Et or Teleport.
Liquefy kinda works well. That's actually my preferred Meteor build. But I can tell you the build still has AP issues on single target (63%cc/2.74aps/27APoC/9Meteor Reduction Gear). To make it work pretty well for single, you have to significantly slim down SNS.
Edited by TekkZero#1963 on 2/26/2013 3:19 PM PST
You can actually slim down SNS by dropping EB and replacing it with Sparkflint. You'd be surprised how comparable it is.
Prism ftw.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]