Diablo® III

Barb or Monk

Me and my gf are going to dive right into HC, and I'm wondering which class might be more fun?

My gf is playing a witch doctor, and I have yet to decide what I'm going to play.

I have all but the wizard leveled to 60 on softcore so i know how both the monk and the barb play like.

I have put far more hours into my monk so part of my thinking with rolling a barb is to have something a little more fresh.

My main issue with rolling a barb is that I wasn't much of a fan of their rage generators (bash, cleave, frenzy). But I love some of their other abilities like leap and also felt that they had a bit more interesting resource spending abilities.

So what would synergize well with a WD? Are monks able to use some interesting abilities like inner sanctuary in hardcore? Do you prefer a monk or a barb? Does one have more viable builds than the other?

It's highly likely that I'll end up leveling both but what are your opinions on it?
Reply Quote
Not much experience with Barbs. I've been told by WDs that they love Monks using Cyclone Strike to gather all the enemies into a tight little ball. Kinda dangerous for the monks in HC, though.

I'd probably go with a Barb. Like you said, it's something new and fresh to do. Most people seem to think that Barbs and WDs are the easiest to keep alive on HC, too. So they're both probably good choices for a first HC character.
Reply Quote
I suggest wizard, since you haven't played one, and it's always most fun playing something new. This game isn't built so that you need a tank, you and the WD both have snares. So wizard and WD can work well together.

But if you have to choose barb or monk, I say choose the one with whom you enjoy playing more.
Reply Quote
I suggest wizard, since you haven't played one, and it's always most fun playing something new. This game isn't built so that you need a tank, you and the WD both have snares. So wizard and WD can work well together.

But if you have to choose barb or monk, I say choose the one with whom you enjoy playing more.

Wizard is pretty much out of the question (for now). My wizard is 57 and will likely be 60 today or tomorrow, the only reason that its not 60 yet is because I just find wizards boring.

In my time of playing I've found that I tend to have more fun with melee classes so that's the reasoning between barb or monk.
Reply Quote
I enjoy the play style of a barbarian much more than a monk. So I would vote for the barb.

The first class I made in HC was a monk. However when I died at 60(3), because my terrible laptop locked up on me, I was not as disappointed as I thought I would be. Mostly because I didn't enjoy playing the Monk that much. I know a lot of people that love it but it wasn't very enjoyable to me.

I had never played a monk before that though. So I had no knowledge of how enjoyable the class might be once you get a nice set of gear. My only monk experience was with a starter inferno set and maybe 25k DPS. That may be why I didn't find the class that exciting.

GL with whatever you choose!
Reply Quote
I've played both in HC, but I was frankly terrible at playing the Barb, so my experience is skewed toward monk :)

As for synergy, WD is IMO one of the most flexible classes in terms of synergy, capable of adapting to almost any party member's playstyle. Go with what you want to play, and chances are that your girlfriend will be able to easily work with it.
Edited by Sable#1266 on 2/23/2013 2:19 AM PST
Reply Quote
We can't decide what class will be fun for you, so like what the others said - go with what you enjoy the most. Barb would make a good HC starting character, because it requires the least investment to play at higher mp. Making a hellfire ring first could help your alts gain exp faster (keep in mind that low lvl characters could die by their own hellfire balls if they're reflected back by certain mobs). It won't be easy though. And if you like a challenge, I recommend playing monk. I'm having a blast with them in HC.
Reply Quote
I was in a similar position as you and up til now, my gf and I are level 28/33 paragon going strong with her on WD and myself on Barb.

As others have stated go with what you're going to have the most fun with. I am way addicted to the softcore whirlwind build and all we ever farm is MP0 so I can get away with that :D. If we decide to brave higher mp levels I switch to the much safer rend build (however I find it a snore to play so I avoid it when possible).

Nice thing about either monk or barb is the ability to boost each others resists/armor or other stats you need and the fact she'll feel a lot safer with you in the frontline.
Reply Quote
I love the monk play style and I dont enjoy barb. So im gonna say monk.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]