Diablo® III

The PC is dead?

well the pc will always have upgrades making it a win. but the ps4 isn't to shabby for what it is i mean 8 gb of ddr5 ram and a 8 core amd cpu with intergrated gpu is a nice step up imo.
Reply Quote
quote="79781400160"]Iso Whirl Wind motion controls. Seriously, Diablo 3 would be the best Wii game. Could even just call it Wii Fit 3.[/quote]
Reply Quote
The traditional pc is dying. In my business, I am getting fewer repair calls for pc's and fewer people buying pc's, fewer customers asking for custom built pc's - a lot fewer. The only people buying pc's these days are gamers and businesses. So yes, pc sales are down. But that's mainly because people who are just content oriented realized they don't need a huge tower on a desk to browse the web or read their emails - tablets are cheaper and portable and better for that.

Another reason sales are down is that, pc gamers are getting profficient enough to build there own pc's. They order parts on line and build a system themselves so, it doesn't count as a pc sale even though it is. Also, pc's last a lot longer than they did before. You used to have to upgrade/replace your pc about every 2-3 years to stay current. Now a pc can last 5 years or more with just an occasional RAM, CPU or GPU upgrade. Just throwing in an SSD to replace your old hard drive gives a huge boost in performance, adding an extra year or two before needing a new system.

People should stop looking at pc sales to judge how the market is and instead look at software sales. Excluding the new Win8 OS of course, that piece of crap isn't selling because it sucks big time, not because nobody owns a pc anymore.

There are a lot of people shifting from pc gaming to console unfortunately as they feel it's cheaper, easier and more reliable and, lately, increasingly more portable than pc gaming. Whether or not that's true is irrelivent. People believe it's true. Tablet games are selling like mad. PC gaming is becoming the domain of the hard core gamer as consoles cater more and more to younger, more casual players. Just ask a hard core player about the state of the xbox - they are pissing nails on how the xbox is catering more to the casual player and leaving the hard core players behind. The problem is, I can see a day where fewer and fewer companies want to bother making high end pc games for hard core gamers. The money is in consoles and tablets - games are easier to make and quicker to sell more copies.
Reply Quote
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the OP is making a joke.
Reply Quote
The PC is dead*

* As a gaming platform.

02/21/2013 11:04 PMPosted by Krystonosetz
Wiiablo
Blizzard want SC2 for the wii: http://kotaku.com/5919333/blizzard-says-starcraft-on-wii-u-might-work

Enjoy.
Reply Quote
12 million sales = PC dead? Fanboy logic is ridiculous.

Huge difference between sales and current active player base.

uhm yeah, but what is that saying about the PC as gaming platform? Exactly. Nothing. It speaks for the game not if there are many people playing PC games. Also I dont think D3 sold 12 million, probably less then 10m. But still a lot for an PC game.

No clue why anyone with a brain would think the "PC" as gaming platform would be dead. Well, so far it did quite well and there is no real sign that this will change. Infact the consoles have been pretty stagnant for the last years and the new PS4 doesnt seem to be THAT amazing either, at least the representation wasnt. It doesnt offer anything which the PC cant do, in some cases the PC was and will be better (see multiplayer, crowd funding projects, modifications, free2play games etc.).
Edited by CrniVuk#2227 on 2/22/2013 7:04 AM PST
Reply Quote
02/22/2013 07:02 AMPosted by CrniVuk
No clue why anyone with a brain would think the "PC" as gaming platform would be dead. Well, so far it did quite well and there is no real sign that this will change. Infact the consoles have been pretty stagnant for the last years and the new PS4 doesnt seem to be THAT amazing either, at least the representation wasnt. It doesnt offer anything which the PC cant do, in some cases the PC was and will be better (see multiplayer, crowd funding projects, modifications, free2play games etc.).
It is not consoles that are killing the PC gaming platform.

Both PCs and Consoles are being killed by mobile games. It is simple as that.
Reply Quote
Wait till Steambox comes out and with the push to Linux support from companies like Valve and Nvidia, the PC future looks brighter than ever, if these things can come to fruition. You no longer would need a $1000-$1500 PC to play games in all their glory. The PC offers everything the consoles offer and more.
Reply Quote
02/22/2013 06:55 AMPosted by BoyNamedGoo
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the OP is making a joke.

Maybe so, the problem is, he's spot on.

Like I said, tablet and console games are easier to make and sell like mad. Any gaming producer would have to be crazy to not cash in on them.

it's much easier to produce a game for a platform that is uniformely identicle i.e. every console having the exact same specs and hardware then it is to code a game for a pc which has an infinite combination of hardware that it has to be compatible with. Just making sure it can run on the thousands of different GPU's alone must be cumbersome and time consuming in the extreme.
Reply Quote
02/22/2013 07:08 AMPosted by KyRoS
Wait till Steambox comes out and with the push to Linux support from companies like Valve and Nvidia, the PC future looks brighter than ever, if these things can come to fruition. You no longer would need a $1000-$1500 PC to play games in all their glory. The PC offers everything the consoles offer and more.

Thats exactly what is needed - a uniform pc platform. Much easier to code a game for one pc platform than the multitude of hardware currently available.

Then again, a console is just a pc in a different box. A tablet is just a smaller, more portable pc. What really matters is the quality of the game. That, unfortunately seems to be going downhill. Mobile games are selling too well for companies to ignore.
Reply Quote
Blizzard smart to produce a game that can be played on more than one platform. Expose the awesomeness of D3 to more people!

Next up, D3 for tablets and smartphones!

I think they should skip consoles and go directly into tablet and smartphones.

Apple and Samsung are making a KILLING in this exploding market, while Microsoft basically let them have it for several years without much presence.

The only way the PC market is going to survive is through low-budget business contracts - gamers won't be top priority and that means Smartphone and Tablets are pretty much the final frontier so far as gamers go.

Blizzard should drop the console projects and get working on mobile devices ASAP.
Reply Quote
You have to go where the money is. Just look at RAGE form example - a very expensive game to produce in terms of manpower and money. It cost a fortune and, as far as big money games are concerned, it was a flop. Not as much return on investment as they hoped.

Now look at games like Plants vs. Zombies or MineCraft. Very little investment, both in manpower and cash but, a huge success. Massive return on investment. If you were an investor, where would you put your money?

My son bugs me all the time to buy him dlc for MineCraft. I'm talking $15-$20 add-ons less than 1MB in size! You'd have to be !@#$ house mad to pass on that kind of money!
Reply Quote
02/22/2013 02:55 AMPosted by Knightmare65
Merlock, you have to jesting.

Yes, I was just jesting. I'm surprised this topic got as many replies as it did.
Reply Quote
02/21/2013 11:13 PMPosted by Plutarch
But PC gaming of the future will be on smartphones and tablets.

uh no it'll still exist, i prefer to play on a monitor not on a screen the size of my hand or smaller than a nintendo DS. srsly..

during commute i prefer not to absorb myself into a smartphone and stare directly down or looked plugged in, it looks rather all very automated. kind of scary and sad really that that's what today's age is and i'm only in my twenties.
Edited by KradisZ#1651 on 2/22/2013 6:05 PM PST
Reply Quote
There's around 40mil xbox live members. WoW has what, almost 10mil? This one PC game alone has 1/4th of a console's population. I think they're doing ok.
Reply Quote
I've been a PC enthusiast since the late 80's. As much as I hate to admit it, I think the evidence of the PC falling out of favor of developers is getting to be too much to ignore.

I don't think the platform will ever completely die off, but I do think we will be a second thought in the future.

For the first time in my life I find myself wondering if I should get an Xbox or Playstation versus building a new gaming rig.
Reply Quote
Blizzard smart to produce a game that can be played on more than one platform. Expose the awesomeness of D3 to more people!

Next up, D3 for tablets and smartphones!

Is this some kind of bad troll? Rofl. Enjoy spamming poke on your tablet or smartphone. Are you going to hook up a keyboard to your phone or what? I guess at least with tablets you can hook up a keyboard. HF if that's really what you want to do. Diablo 3 doesn't seem like a very good tablet/smartphone game to me.
Reply Quote
The PC, even as a gaming platform, is far from dying IMO. People just need to realize that you don't need a >$1000 system to play games decently. The only problem with PCs compared to consoles is that it may require a little more maintenance from time to time: Viruses, hard drive fragmentation (SSDs make that problem nonexistant however), and clutter. Besides that, PCs are like a luxury car that can do many things, whereas consoles are comparable to a honda civic.

From the way things are going, consoles will cost anywhere from $300-$400, and cheap low end PCs used for office and internet browsing are (right now) also the same price. So building a custom made midrange gaming PC ($800-$1000) would be almost just as cost effective, give or take a couple hundred dollars.

I also can't seem to fathom why people are so deathly intimidated by PCs. It's like "Hmm, this card goes in this slot, put a few screws in, push button to turn on, put in disk in DVD drive and follow instructions for install".

Y U NO UNDERSTAND?!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]