Diablo® III

[GUIDE] The RoS 2.0 DH + FAQ

(Sticky)

Sticky definitely requested, thanks for the great work Oscar!

As a new DH, I had a question specific to the playstyle of the Hungering Arrow / Ball Lightning build. Since both are AoE attacks, in which situations do you use each skill?

I've currently been farming MP0 and just shoot 3 or 4 ball lightnings in the direction of mobs then vault on to the next pack... I find that I only use HA when I am low on hatred, which is honestly pretty rare with vengeance passive. I'm currently farming at about 50-60 million xp/hour, which seems pretty efficient considering I pick up some rares, gems, tomes. Insight into the "correct" playstyle would be helpful!
Reply Quote
What spec would you guys recommend for farming VoA on mp5-6?
Reply Quote
Thanks for the guide, this really should be a sticky.
Reply Quote
As a new DH, I had a question specific to the playstyle of the Hungering Arrow / Ball Lightning build. Since both are AoE attacks, in which situations do you use each skill?

I've currently been farming MP0 and just shoot 3 or 4 ball lightnings in the direction of mobs then vault on to the next pack... I find that I only use HA when I am low on hatred, which is honestly pretty rare with vengeance passive. I'm currently farming at about 50-60 million xp/hour, which seems pretty efficient considering I pick up some rares, gems, tomes. Insight into the "correct" playstyle would be helpful!

Ball Lightning is almost always my skill of choice if there are multiple targets in this case. If there is only one or two targets, Hungering Arrow, by a long shot, however, sometimes it's just easier to BL stutter step around everywhere. Especially at MP0, just a few shots will clear your view until the BL reaches it's maximum distance anyway.

it sounds like your method is quite effective, I wouldn't change anything you're doing.
Reply Quote
02/25/2013 10:14 AMPosted by Muahahaa
Thanks for the guide, this really should be a sticky.

That's the hope, but "The All Seeing Eyes" hardly seems to stop in here, with the exception of the most recent post about Sentries and Companions by Wyatt Cheng. Every other class has a player-written sticky except Demon Hunters. I'm hoping this makes the cut.
Reply Quote
Thanks for making this rather important thread that many of us were too lazy to put together, lol :P
Reply Quote
02/25/2013 10:57 AMPosted by TianZi
Thanks for making this rather important thread that many of us were too lazy to put together, lol :P

It actually wasn't so bad, maybe about 20 minutes of typing and compiling. I pulled most of it out of memory and the rest, well, partly from guides like yours. ;-) Thanks for the contribution TianZi!
Reply Quote
Just wanted to say thanks for making this topic. Really informative and helpful, since I like to play my DH alt every now and then.
Reply Quote
02/25/2013 01:22 PMPosted by punkmetalska
Just wanted to say thanks for making this topic. Really informative and helpful, since I like to play my DH alt every now and then.

I'm happy to help! I'm glad that it's been a resource for you.
Reply Quote
Are there any builds that rely on specifically IAS and movement speed? I saw strafe build earlier and then i read slow attack speed works best so that's out of the question.
Reply Quote
Am I really going to see a big difference by switching from Hungering Arrow / Ball Lightning to something else? I am farming MP8/9 quite hapilly with that set up, never thought to move away from it.
Reply Quote
This really should be stickied.
Reply Quote
Am I really going to see a big difference by switching from Hungering Arrow / Ball Lightning to something else? I am farming MP8/9 quite hapilly with that set up, never thought to move away from it.

Bad news: I can't tell you that.

Good news: you can test out some different specs and see if it works for you. ;-)
Reply Quote
02/25/2013 02:00 PMPosted by OldBub
Are there any builds that rely on specifically IAS and movement speed? I saw strafe build earlier and then i read slow attack speed works best so that's out of the question.

Having faster attack speed (higher Attacks Per Second) will be favored while using spammable stun abilities, such as Bola Thunderball or Stun Grenades. The Bola Shot spec with Thunderball does work very well for higher attack speeds and favors the faster attacks because the stun proc will occur more frequently (obviously the desired effect).
Reply Quote
I was thinking about using Rapid shot and trying to reduce the cost to under 5, for essentially getting "infinite" use of it. Then adding in Knockback for one of the passives.. but i was hoping there was a build around something like that already.
**EDIT** something like http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#WcYhgk!beY!ZabZZb but a better choice of main attack and if possible, more aoe.
Edited by OldBub#1207 on 2/25/2013 3:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/25/2013 03:05 PMPosted by OldBub
I was thinking about using Rapid shot and trying to reduce the cost to under 5, for essentially getting "infinite" use of it. Then adding in Knockback for one of the passives.. but i was hoping there was a build around something like that already.

Any channeled ability like Rapid Fire will favor slower attacks per second due to resource drain. If you're looking for a good Knockback, consider using a Windforce and stacking that with a high % Knockback set of Strongarm bracers. I personally HATE Knockback because I want the enemy right up to my nose where my traps are. I get low % Knockback Strongarms for myself, but you could find something nice out there I'm sure.
Reply Quote
hmmm, I guessed that. I will have to have a play around, but it will need to be something pretty spectacular to pull me away from HA/BL... Thanks!
Reply Quote
02/25/2013 03:59 PMPosted by GinZ
hmmm, I guessed that. I will have to have a play around, but it will need to be something pretty spectacular to pull me away from HA/BL... Thanks!

There's no harm in trying something different, but if you're having fun, who cares, right?
Reply Quote
02/25/2013 08:45 AMPosted by killuchen
What spec would you guys recommend for farming VoA on mp5-6?

Variations of the Bola/Spike Trap build worked best for me in VoA.

Over the weekend, I did 10 runs at MP7 using the following spec

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#WQkXgU!VfX!ZaccYZ

Oddly enough, I find the champs in VoA to be a bit tougher than Act 3 as some of them just kick out tremendous damage.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]