Diablo® III

3.01 breakpoint & 1.07 wiz spec help

I know this topic has been beat to death but I see what seems like a decent deal on a 1.78 wand that would push me to the 3.01 breakpoint from 2.74. I've never done 3.01, so the question is: is it worth it at the cost of substantial sheet DPS (like from 95k to 79k)? It already seems like my skills aren't going off as soon as they reset due to lag or some sort of enforced input limit, so while 3.01 theoretically make CM work much better, how well does this translate into action?

On a (semi) side note, I've just fixed my computer after 1.5 months... I've read the patch notes, but what do you all think about wizzies in 1.07?

Would really appreciate some responses, don't want this wand to get snatched up. Not like it's an amazing deal or anything so don't bother looking ^ ^

EDIT: Background info: I mainly solo farm Act 3, wouldn't mind soloing Ubers if I could do at least MP6/7 but haven't tried yet. Sometimes duo with a friend who has a CM wiz and a barb.
Edited by pj0078#1910 on 2/26/2013 1:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
Depends on your latency.

To feel the full effect of the change, you should have good latency to begin with.

But take it from a 3.0 user, I'm not going to drop down. Its too nice @ 3.0.

DPS drop that your going to face is significant, but game play is way more "fun" imo.

Do you use evocation with your current setup? Maybe try cold snap?

Use scoundrel? + Have enough CC/APOC?

These all effect cooldown of spells.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Wizard)
View profile
First thing, before answering you question, is check the latency while you're playing. Assuming that you're at 2.73 AS, 47 or so CC, and 18+ APOC. This will have a big impact on recommendations.
Edited by PieHole#1628 on 2/26/2013 1:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Wizard)
View profile
I'm agree mostly with Boozor....but since he has gg gear he can afford to stay at 3.0 and never look back! However, having a 1.78/9 wand allows you the flexibility to move easily between the breakpoints. I have like 130k DPS at 2.73, but only 100k at 3.01. I stay at the higher breakpoints to do Ubers...and it works great. I stay at the lower breakpoint for regular farming, which is nice. Basically I have 2 sets of gloves, ammy's and bracers that I switch around, depending on the situation. I like it better than having just one gearset...gives me something to always be thinking about.
Reply Quote
02/26/2013 01:22 PMPosted by PieHole
I'm agree mostly with Boozor....but since he has gg gear he can afford to stay at 3.0 and never look back! However, having a 1.78/9 wand allows you the flexibility to move easily between the breakpoints. I have like 130k DPS at 2.73, but only 100k at 3.01. I stay at the higher breakpoints to do Ubers...and it works great. I stay at the lower breakpoint for regular farming, which is nice. Basically I have 2 sets of gloves, ammy's and bracers that I switch around, depending on the situation. I like it better than having just one gearset...gives me something to always be thinking about.

This is true.

Most compromise with 2.73 for sake of avaliability and affordability.

But i'm 100% sure everyone wants as high APS as possible, its the balance of everything else that is difficult, so most stay around 2.73 which is a good compromise no doubt.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Wizard)
View profile
@boozor....

Most of my DPS loss comes from using a trifecta ammy to reach 3.01. I have to drop the 96% CD that I have on my standard ammy for trifecta. In fact, I ended up just picking up an ammy that has CC/IAS to reach min stats....and loaded it with armor and All res to make me tanky. No real DPS there. But in an uber group I'm more concerned with staying alive that dealing a bit more damage...I rely on my group for that (which....sometime is a mistake, lol ;-) My current setup is my 3.01 Uber gear (minus glass cannon, of course)

Its been awhile since i've looked for a trifecta ammy. I know prices have dropped since people have been crafting....perhaps I should revisit the ammy market.
Reply Quote
I have a high dps 1.79 aps wand, played a bit.

For farming, I use socket chant will, for maximize dps and usually freezing is not an issue with many mobs around u as long as your stats are not too low. (I have 2.76 aps and 59 crit chance for farming with teleport on)

For ubers, depends on my teammates, I use 1.79 aps chant will if my teammates are squish but mighty, so i can have time warp skill on to maximize our team dps ( 3.01/59 aps with time warp)

or if my teammates are sturdy with still decent dps, I will use socket chant will with time stretch to still get over 3.01 break point (3.05 with stretch time/57.5) .

With that said, right now with 1.79aps chant will and time stretch I am at 3.328 aps (damn, just below 3.33 breakpoint). I would like to get a 9ias tal armor so I can get over 3.34 break point in the future and test out the benefits of 45 ticks in uber fight.
Reply Quote
With good latency 3 allows you to drop evo for other things like GC and keep singles in one spot. I can keep sk magda locked tight with only evo no cold snap needed. yeah 3 is better and i run it on Sk uber but at a price. My lacuni is 200m and my ias trifecta ammy 200m to get there and give me terrible EHP compare to free bracers and free ammy i normally wear.
Edited by Aimless#1700 on 2/26/2013 8:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
3 aps is useless on kulle-berserker uber now T_T
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]