Diablo® III

New cpu

Ordering these parts, how will D3 and WoW run with this setup? Anything you'd get differently?

pcpartpicker.com/p/GhvC
Reply Quote
Hi Wesc!
A couple of things:
  • If you're planning to overclock your cpu, you should get the one with a "K" suffix.
  • I also noticed the video card and the case have no prices. Does this mean that you already own these parts?
  • If you are planning to buy a video card, i'd suggest getting a newer generation - if you're into nVidia, the 600 series; AMD, the 7900 series.
  • If you're not planning to add any more power-drawing components, that 600W power supply is overkill. I suggest going for a 400-500w psu. I also suggest going for those manufactured by SeaSonic, XFX, or Antec.
    That said, this setup will play D3 and Wow on high details very nicely.
    Edited by NealTan#6496 on 2/28/2013 5:07 AM PST
    Reply Quote
    AMD, the 7000 series

Fixed. 7900s are high end cards.

Also to elaborate, the new equivalents to the GTX 550 ti would be the GTX 650 ti and AMD 7770.

And the hard drive isn't listed.
    Edited by Hypersonic#1142 on 2/28/2013 5:56 AM PST
    Reply Quote
    please make sure you get ur parts from newegg..anyother place is overpriced and will be a hassle to deal with ..
    my 2c
    Reply Quote
    Hi! Thanks for the feedback!

I also noticed the video card and the case have no prices. Does this mean that you already own these parts?
    If you are planning to buy a video card, i'd suggest getting a newer generation - if you're into nVidia, the 600 series; AMD, the 7900 series.

Yeah, I bought the video card and the case back in the fall. I don't think there was a newer generation of video cards out then? At any rate, I haven't even gotten a chance to use the 550 yet, and if I will be able to run D3 and WoW without any issues on high settings, I think I'll just stick with the 550.

If you're not planning to add any more power-drawing components, that 600W power supply is overkill. I suggest going for a 400-500w psu. I also suggest going for those manufactured by SeaSonic, XFX, or Antec.

I figured it would be safe to get the 600w psu, just so that I have plenty of room to add things later on if I want to. At some point I'd like to set up a second monitor, maybe add some fans inside if my temps get crazy during long gaming sessions. And as far as the HDD goes, I've got one in my old cpu which is out of commission for the time being, and I'm hoping that the problems my old cpu is having have nothing to do with the HDD, as it's pretty new.

please make sure you get ur parts from newegg..anyother place is overpriced and will be a hassle to deal with ..
    my 2c

I was under the impression that pcpartpicker would cross-reference all online retailers and find the cheapest price for me?
    Reply Quote
    02/28/2013 05:05 AMPosted by NealTan
    If you're planning to overclock your cpu, you should get the one with a "K" suffix.

I must have left this part out by mistake. I've done some research about overclocking, and I've heard it can cause instability and data loss? This is my first custom build, you see, and I've never overclocked anything in my life. How big would the performance increase be? Can you equate the GHz increase into terms of in-game FPS? Do these even affect each other?

Also, on another note, I've heard Skyrim is a bit more gfx intensive than D3 or WoW. Will that also do well with these specs?
    Reply Quote
    If you're planning to overclock your cpu, you should get the one with a "K" suffix.

I must have left this part out by mistake. I've done some research about overclocking, and I've heard it can cause instability and data loss? This is my first custom build, you see, and I've never overclocked anything in my life. How big would the performance increase be? Can you equate the GHz increase into terms of in-game FPS? Do these even affect each other?

Also, on another note, I've heard Skyrim is a bit more gfx intensive than D3 or WoW. Will that also do well with these specs?

you can overclock your cpu to as much as you'd like it just speeds up calculation on your CPU making things run faster. Also wears out your CPU faster and if it overheats you can say gdbye to it, especially if you don't knwo what you're doing and doing BIOS settinsg to overclock it as opposed to built-in processor overclock tools, it's really not that hard but completely pointless if your computer isn't even struggling or if you're just a min/maxer lookign for fastest computational speed for faster access and the like... one of my pals has a comp with water cooling and submerged in mineral oil and overclocks his cpu like nuts, on any other regular rig it'd probably start a fire.
    so basically the more heat-absorption and cooling systems you have the more overclocking you can do.

CPU is NOT your computer. Computer is just everything put together.
    to make games run fast you want a good vid card + good CPU(Central Processing Unit) or AKA Processor

If your CPU usage isn't at 100% like 80% of the time there's no point. (How do you check..? Uh.. ctrl+alt+delete or rightclick start bar and just task manager ... bottom digit says CPU Usage... or under performance tab and you don't have a lot of spikes peaking at the top of the monitoring.)

Games are graphic intensive based on their engine, how they're coded and the like. My friend's !@#$tylaptop can play TERA but it can't run Diablo 3. And TERA looks fking amazing in comparison.
    Edited by KradisZ#1651 on 2/28/2013 7:48 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    Pretty good midrange PC build there OP. It will easily play D3, and WoW with little to no issues. One thing I would add though is to think about an after market CPU cooler, since Intel's stock solution is pretty bad.

02/28/2013 03:25 PMPosted by Wesc

For overclocking, it can degrade your CPU life cycle significantly if you decide to push it too far or have an inadequate cooling solution. As for game performance, for a mild overclock you could see around a 5-10% increase in FPS in many games that aren't overly graphics intensive. So it really is up to you if you think OCing is worth it. I do it on my rig because I enjoy pushing my computer to its limits.

As an example, I have a 2nd Gen. core i7 2600k which normally runs at 3.4Ghz, but I have it running at 4.3Ghz(very mild OC). That gives me around 5% FPS increase in the games I play, which are mostly shooters. For a much bigger boost, I OC my AMD 7950 HD, and that gives me 15%+ greater FPS in most cases. Doing this isn't all that difficult, but since you are new to PC building, you should definitely do your research on OCing before trying anything, because you can seriously screw up your expensive parts if you don't know what you're doing.

As for Skyrim, your specs would suggest that it will run very well. Probably not the highest settings possible, but it will definitely look very good.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]