Diablo® III

Skorn HoTA Barb -- When to add SoJ?

Hey guys, I'm reaching a point on my Barbarian where upgrades are minimal and expensive, and I'm starting to think about adding an SoJ to my character.

Obviously --- a -5 Fury HoTA Cold SoJ would be the premiere choice, but considering this could run me hundreds of millions to billions of gold, I'm considering the viability of a simple 28+ SoJ

With my current gear and set-up, Would replacing the weaker of my two rings with a very basic SoJ allow me to clear through MP10 runs faster?

Thanks for the help
Reply Quote
I would consider importing your Barb into http://www.d3rawr.com and run through scenarios with any potential ring change. While the damage against the Elites is certainly there with an SOJ, the cost per DPS increase might not be worth it depending on build and type of ring. With that said, you can also find some relatively cheap SOJ rings if all you are going for is the elite and the elemental damage, and ultimately could be a cheaper upgrade than pushing the CC/CHD/Str on the rings.
Good luck!
Reply Quote
I would say you're at the point where it's time to start thinking about one, as you have a healthy amount of crit chance and attack speed. You can check a calculator but honestly SoJ is so powerful that 99% of the time there won't be any rare ring that isn't worth billions that'll come close to it, and that's not even counting the benefits of +fury and -HotA cost towards higher HotA uptime and higher crit chance through fury. The only argument against it is the utility of cc and ias lost. I'm a very strong proponent of HotA reduction, but it's not absolutely necessary. My preference was to go for low elite damage (26%) and -4 fury reduction.
Reply Quote
Only time I ever use a SoJ is when I'm doing ubers, for farming I don't use it. My reasoning is this: If you're farming you want to be able to clear trash just as fast to get to the next elite. A simple and elegant solution is to use the brawler passive for farming. It's 30% increased damage to everything and in a typical MP10 farm run you'll constantly be surrounded by hordes of monsters to get really good use out of the passive.
Reply Quote
After running with you, I see that trash doesn't survive especially long around you. :)
Reply Quote
02/25/2013 10:15 AMPosted by silverfire
After running with you, I see that trash doesn't survive especially long around you. :)

:P.........Not much of anything lives for very long around me....I am "Death" after all lol
Edited by Death#1408 on 2/25/2013 10:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
02/25/2013 10:05 AMPosted by Death
Only time I ever use a SoJ is when I'm doing ubers, for farming I don't use it. My reasoning is this: If you're farming you want to be able to clear trash just as fast to get to the next elite. A simple and elegant solution is to use the brawler passive for farming. It's 30% increased damage to everything and in a typical MP10 farm run you'll constantly be surrounded by hordes of monsters to get really good use out of the passive.

That's kind of where I am at in my line of thinking currently...

For Ubers, I don't think there is much of a question that dropping the IAS/Crit from one of my rings and replacing it with SoJ would have a greater benefit, since I have no problem keeping WoTB up anyway.

My real dillema comes from MP10 runs (Core, Arreat2, Damned1, Keeps2 is my route).
I will try running with Brawler.

War Cry AND Nerves of Steel is kind of over kill for me now, and could spare the passive slot for more damage.

I think I will follow your advice if I can succesfully add Brawler to my spec. Stick with my rare rings, unless I can one day find the -5 HoTA one I really want.
Reply Quote
Mike, try this, you've got nothing to lose by giving it a shot. Go to the AH and find the cheapest ~28-30% elite bonus SoJ, disregard the skill entirely, and don't even worry about the elemental affix. Should only be a couple hundred K. Replace your rare ring with it and try one of your MP10 runs and see if you notice a difference. When I switched to one, it was night and day, especially noticeable with keywardens and goblins. (The latter I couldn't kill at all without one at the time I upgraded) Death's gear is at a level where he kills stuff in MP10 as fast as you or I would several MP's lower, and his rings are so good that it becomes harder to justify dropping one in typical PvE. In my case, a SoJ was actually a much cheaper route to somewhat drag me to the point of being able to kill stuff in MP10 with some efficiency.
Reply Quote
02/25/2013 02:24 PMPosted by silverfire
Mike, try this, you've got nothing to lose by giving it a shot. Go to the AH and find the cheapest ~28-30% elite bonus SoJ, disregard the skill entirely, and don't even worry about the elemental affix. Should only be a couple hundred K. Replace your rare ring with it and try one of your MP10 runs and see if you notice a difference. When I switched to one, it was night and day, especially noticeable with keywardens and goblins. (The latter I couldn't kill at all without one at the time I upgraded) Death's gear is at a level where he kills stuff in MP10 as fast as you or I would several MP's lower, and his rings are so good that it becomes harder to justify dropping one in typical PvE. In my case, a SoJ was actually a much cheaper route to somewhat drag me to the point of being able to kill stuff in MP10 with some efficiency.

Packing up at work right now and will give this a shot when I log on at home!

Thanks for the advice
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]