Diablo® III

Which Laptop should I buy?

Doing away with Desktop
Im looking at
Dell XPS system (785$) 6gig ram, i5, 1g vid card
Alienware 14 x (979$) same specs
Ibuy power 15" battallion 835$ (same specs)
anyone have any other suggestions? my budget is no more than 999

any suggestions on what to stay away from?

thanks!!

(posted in tech, but this is where the traffic is and i only really look at general)
Reply Quote
anyone?
Reply Quote
Are you sure you want a laptop? While they're great for mobility, a desktop for that price is tons more powerful. I only use my laptop for storage (Pictures, ect..) and work, but there are some good gaming laptops I suppose. The only issue I have with them is they overheat unlike desktops.
Reply Quote
Hi All,

Definitely not from the list you mentioned, Dell is more of a traveller PC for work and home. Alienware is for gaming, but its terrible for normal activities and Ibuy is noname.

I suggest you look at the following:

IBM
Toshiba
Asus

or

for the bang on for your money:

Acer | Aspire
Reply Quote
thanks for the info-
i need mobility, and just surf , watch dvds and play games.
wife has imac so i dont need a desktop and i am just playing wow and d3 on it now (256 mb vid card, low settings obviously)
havent heard anything good about acer/asus- read alot of bad reviews.
thanks again for the input
Reply Quote
interesting about the alienware comment...has some validity when compared to apple...paying for the name and all...
ill check out the sony, havent looked at that yet!
this helps me guys! (actually it hurts me because i will be researching for ever until i make a decision)
keep em comin if you dont mind.
What have you guys had good experience with?
Reply Quote
@mickblade:

..have an Alienware M17x R4 laptop with a 3610 QM, 17" screen 1080p res.,8 Gb. of 1600 Mhz memory and an NVidia GeForce GTX 680M Overclocked to 893 core Mhz and 2407 Mhz memory (719/1800 stock clocks). Max GPU temp. of 72-73 *C on Crysis 2, The Witcher 2, Battlefield 3, D3 at 1080p Ultra gfx setting. HWinfo 64 and FRAPS for monitoring in game.

It's a novelty laptop..
Edited by THIEF2004#1697 on 2/26/2013 2:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
@mickblade:

..have an Alienware M17x R4 laptop with a 3610 QM, 17" screen 1080p res.,8 Gb. of 1600 Mhz memory and an NVidia GeForce GTX 680M Overclocked to 893 core Mhz and 2407 Mhz memory (719/1800 stock clocks). Max GPU temp. of 72-73 *C on Crysis 2, The Witcher 2, Battlefield 3, D3 at 1080p Ultra gfx setting. HWinfo 64 and FRAPS for monitoring in game.

It's a novelty laptop..

forgive my dense-ness...by novelty you mean its all for show>? or *sarcasm*
seems like a pretty screaming laptop to me..the 17 isnt $999 either ;)
Reply Quote
:-)..
Reply Quote
Never buy a Sony laptop.

ThinkPad supremacy.
Reply Quote
I have an alienware mx14 and its a freaking beast, plays all my games, I love it.

dont know why people hate, its not anymore expensive than all the other top of the line laptops
Reply Quote
and ill add, hdmi out to my 46" led aquos and diablo 3 = winning combination
Reply Quote
thanks for the info-
i need mobility, and just surf , watch dvds and play games.
wife has imac so i dont need a desktop and i am just playing wow and d3 on it now (256 mb vid card, low settings obviously)
havent heard anything good about acer/asus- read alot of bad reviews.
thanks again for the input

I'm a huge ASUS fan. Started off using their parts (Mobo etc.) to build my own PC, liked their quality enough to go ASUS when I bought my laptop and I absolutely love it. A little out of your price range though for what I picked up.
Reply Quote
Good to hear about the 14x that's what in was interested in. Also, the asus reply is interesting, I had been looking At those too. I just don't like the esthetiques of them. Ya I'm a sucker for design and good looks.
Reply Quote
I'll also mention this about the ASUS RoG line of gaming laptops. They are, by far (in my experience) the coolest running laptops around. I generally use a wood lap piece to set my laptop on while gaming in the living room, and my old Dell (who also owns Alienware now) Inspiron 9300 would get so hot I would have to stop playing, my pants would be soaked with sweat etc.

The heat coming off my ASUS is an afterthought. The fans, and the exhaust port on the back work well to keep it running nice and cool, though my cat likes to sit on my legs behind the laptop and benefit from the warm air. That was a huge plus in my book.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]