Diablo® III

I don't get multi-platform negativity

Starcraft was available on N64.
Diablo was available on PS1.

Both were shadows of their PC selves.

While we are at a point now where consoles have actually caught up with, and in some situations, surpassed, the average gaming PC, D3 is still optimized for keyboard + mouse and any console, controller based version will still be alienating to anyone who has played the PC version. It's also under-powered to the point where much older rigs can run it at 100%.

That's not my main point, however.

Multi-platform releases are as old as video gaming. Whenever multiple game systems existed, multiple computer platforms existed, or even earlier, when either one of those existed alongside an arcade game, we've seen a multi-platform release of games.

Even when multiple platforms cross-communicated, such as Final Fantasy XI, none of the releases impeded any of the others.

What I want is a LEGITIMATE and WELL-THOUGH-OUT reason for why ANYONE thinks the PS announcement has ANY EFFECT WHATSOEVER on the PC D3.
Edited by Japhasca#1443 on 2/22/2013 2:52 AM PST
The argument is that the console versions has already had an effect on the design of the game some time during development. The decision to make versions for consoles meant that several aspects of the game had to be redesigned so that it can accommodate console gamers and as such, it resulted in the game being "dumbed down".

No one is arguing that cross-platform gaming is a bad thing. If D3 turned out to be a really good game, no one would care if they ported D3 over to consoles.
Edited by Hypersonic#1142 on 2/22/2013 3:00 AM PST
02/22/2013 02:57 AMPosted by Hypersonic
The decision to make versions for consoles meant that several aspects of the game had to be redesigned so that it can accommodate console gamers and as such, it resulted in the game being "dumbed down".

It really makes you wonder what Diablo 3 COULD have been, if they weren't planning on porting this game to consoles, doesn't it?
It really makes you wonder what Diablo 3 COULD have been, if they weren't planning on porting this game to consoles, doesn't it?

No, it doesn't. Not at all. the only difference would be control mechanisms, and D3 was clearly designed for PC controls (keyboard + mouse) so I don't see ANY choices designed for console.
as it stands the PS realease of D3 probably has no affect on the PC version..... the real question is, was the PC version affected because they planned on porting it?

And had it been well known that it was also going to be a PS3 release (which it may have been, but i personally did not know), would people have still bought the game?

There is a large skepticism about ports in the PC community, and most (but not all) are fairly well founded.

In this case many players had a preconceived idea of what a d2 sequel should be, which many PC geeks would have known would never be possible on a port.
02/22/2013 03:04 AMPosted by tbagala
Not for console, per se, but the console crowd most definitely.

How so? The console crowd since Xbox/PS2 has seen RPGs equivalent to PC in complexity; the best early example is Morrowind.

That is over a decade ago.

I am assuming your impression of the "console crowd" is one of simplicity, and if I am wrong, please correct me; but if that is what you're implying, YOU are wrong.
I can't imagine that the PS Version will have Battlenet Support (Or they will take 15% more from the gamers and give it to Sony ;) )

So, with an Offlinemode and no Battlenetsupport I can't see an AH or RMAH. Or duped Items would flood the market, right?

So if they don't have an AH I imagine that the Dropquality will be way better than our ... and that sucks!

BUT! I have no trouble sharing D3 with the Playstationcrowd!
Edited by DeltaMi#1632 on 2/22/2013 3:10 AM PST
Comparing the two situations is apples and oranges.
D1 was developed with the PC as medium in mind. The console version was an afterthought at best, i.e. it was developed for PC and then adjusted to console.

But the situation here seems different. As a lot of users point out, "console friendliness" might very well have been a design goal when D3 was developed, and consecutively might be responsible for many of the shortcomings of the title.

Another example of this would be TES. Morrowind has, to this day, the best UI of those games out of the box. Because it was developed primarily for PC use. Oblivion and Skyrim both have had their UI optimized for consoles, and as a result, they feel very clunky on PC. There is a reason why "SkyUI" is one of the most often downloaded modifications for Skyrim.

Or Deus Ex: Invisible War. The first Deus Ex had been developed primarily for PC, and it was great. It featured some really big and impressive levels (I think the very first time through the first level it took me three hours to explore everything in it). The second game had "it has to work on consoles, too" as design goal, and one of the results was that the levels suddenly were significantly smaller to accommodate the limited memory on consoles, and suddenly you wasted more time staring at loading screens than actually playing the game.
So...funny guys. No actual answer yet. Just useless meanderings.
Here's a good example.

I LOVED the Witcher. Great game; mouse and keyboard setup needed.

Witcher 2? Great game. Could have played on 360; optimized for controller.

DIDN'T PLAY ON 360.
Played on high-end PC with 360 controller. Way better than what 360 offered.

D3? Low stats good for any system.
Controls? Optimized for PC.

PLAYED ON PC.
02/22/2013 02:50 AMPosted by Japhasca
While we are at a point now where consoles have actually caught up with, and in some situations, surpassed, the average gaming PC

i quite strongly disagree with this...

02/22/2013 03:02 AMPosted by Japhasca
No, it doesn't. Not at all. the only difference would be control mechanisms, and D3 was clearly designed for PC controls (keyboard + mouse) so I don't see ANY choices designed for console.

there were many hints the game would be moving to console ( or at least a more generic console like audience ) :

Changes in D3's skills, systems etc are reflective of a shift from the accessible complexity of D2 to streamlined linear progession in D3 that a console gamer target base would appreciate more..

no way to create characters that could not hit end game and upset a crowd who expects to finish every game ( unlike 10 years ago where you could hit a brick wall in a PC game for earlier mistakes)

map design and the linear dungeons are also typical of a console environment that guide players where they need to go..

Obvious directional guides ( arrows on minimap ) and floating, talking bosses to guide gamers through environments.. these were not part of the previous installments and their omission was a critical part of the diablo atmosphere but the lack of direction is not typical for console crowd.

"tight " environtments that will allow 4 players on 1 tv to follow the same screen with their characters on it.. D3's environments remind me of the old gauntlet style arcade games...

controls actually clearly designed for gamepad.. count the skills and then buttons on an xbox controller.. characters will be moved with directional pad .. bam.. works flawlessly.. D2 had more keybind options and controls ( though not heaps ) that were reduced to fit this control scheme.

EDIT: deleted a paragraph by mistake
graphics.. made more colorful and accessible with strong visual indicators, swipes etc as to what is going on which makes MUCH easier to follow on a TV screen while sitting on the couch.
blurred, low res textures and low visual fidelity is not an issue when on TV screen but helps with the consoles lack of memory .

EDIT: just want to add i think D3 will be GREAT on console.. i can't stand the PC version because of all it should have been but wasn't but i can see it being great fun on a couch... shame its keeping diablo name though... will be a completely different game from the other 2 when the transition is complete.
Edited by MGH#1860 on 2/22/2013 3:32 AM PST

While we are at a point now where consoles have actually caught up with, and in some situations, surpassed, the average gaming PC, D3 is still optimized for keyboard + mouse and any console, controller based version will still be alienating to anyone who has played the PC version. It's also under-powered to the point where much older rigs can run it at 100%.

That's not my main point, however.

Multi-platform releases are as old as video gaming. Whenever multiple game systems existed, multiple computer platforms existed, or even earlier, when either one of those existed alongside an arcade game, we've seen a multi-platform release of games.

Even when multiple platforms cross-communicated, such as Final Fantasy XI, none of the releases impeded any of the others.

What I want is a LEGITIMATE and WELL-THOUGH-OUT reason for why ANYONE thinks the PS announcement has ANY EFFECT WHATSOEVER on the PC D3.

They got tired of whining about whatever else was the hot topic of the week and moved on to this. Give it a week or two and they will be whining about something else.
View profile

Both did not have their PC versions dumbed down and were actually respectable finished products when they hit release. I'm not entirely sure and I could be wrong, but I imagine the console versions of these games was made at a far later date than the PC release.

D3 on the other hand is clearly dumbed down specifically for consoles, and was nowhere near finished at launch.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]