Diablo® III

I don't get multi-platform negativity

Because most PC players just need to get off the PC only high horse. Diablo 3 on consoles may force them to update this game more often and the more players that can play the game is always better.
we get 6 active skills only because console button limits...
You said that right ammo. It is not killing this game for 'harcore-gamers'. Honestly the idea of 'hardcore-gamers' playing a hack n slash is hilarious. Those words do not belong together.

True Hardcore hack n slash, haha. come on guys, stop playing. Hack n slash is not highly competative, it's just enjoyable.
I'd love all these people who think that a RPG has to be "dumbed down" to be on a console to go and play Demon's Souls for a bit.
There is, for the most part, an agreement that D3 was at some point intentionally diluted or stripped or however you want to say it, of a lot of interesting and good features. Not only the stuff we saw from closed beta but ideas they could have easily borrowed from D2. I don't think anyone here would say that spell synergies was a dumb idea.

The 2 sides I see as an explanation as to why D3 is not at its full potential right now is (my opinion) either
A. The choice to release it as a console game impacted design choice, in order for D3 to accommodate for the MUCH BROADER age range of console players more intricate features were opted out to appeal to a MASS MARKET.
B. Blizzard has made some poor choices in development leading to what we have now.

Now I personally (remember opinion) feel that option B is harder to believe. Because blizzard has the financial backing of WoW, the experience of being what some would say a leader in the gaming industry for over a decade, and having amazing titles in the past to learn from their previous successes.

They have money, they have experience, and they have a reputation and name to attract top developers to want to work with them. It's because of all of these reasons that I feel like its harder to believe that blizzard just made a flop of a game on accident. I mean look at Starcraft 2. They didn't just scrap the basis of the game. They built upon and improved Starcraft 1 and its great.
02/22/2013 03:02 AMPosted by Japhasca
No, it doesn't. Not at all. the only difference would be control mechanisms, and D3 was clearly designed for PC controls (keyboard + mouse) so I don't see ANY choices designed for console.

In Diablo 1 and Diablo 2 you had the option of alloting skill points to different skills essentailly allowing you to have every skill at lvl 1 and build the skills that were the most useful NO?

Now you are strapped in at 6 skills ONLY, with 3 passive.
How many buttons are on a PS or Xbox Controller that arent movement 6-8, how is that not optimal for a console?
And that's not including the analog stick buttons
02/23/2013 07:21 AMPosted by obie1970
I'd love all these people who think that a RPG has to be "dumbed down" to be on a console to go and play Demon's Souls for a bit.

The first part i read about demon's soul is how when a player dies online others can view how that player died "to avoid the same fate"
That is a dumbed down mechanic to allow players to suck and progress while never dying only watching other people die and not actually playing for themselves
02/22/2013 03:26 AMPosted by MGH
While we are at a point now where consoles have actually caught up with, and in some situations, surpassed, the average gaming PC

i quite strongly disagree with this...

No, it doesn't. Not at all. the only difference would be control mechanisms, and D3 was clearly designed for PC controls (keyboard + mouse) so I don't see ANY choices designed for console.

there were many hints the game would be moving to console ( or at least a more generic console like audience ) :

Changes in D3's skills, systems etc are reflective of a shift from the accessible complexity of D2 to streamlined linear progession in D3 that a console gamer target base would appreciate more..

no way to create characters that could not hit end game and upset a crowd who expects to finish every game ( unlike 10 years ago where you could hit a brick wall in a PC game for earlier mistakes)

map design and the linear dungeons are also typical of a console environment that guide players where they need to go..

Obvious directional guides ( arrows on minimap ) and floating, talking bosses to guide gamers through environments.. these were not part of the previous installments and their omission was a critical part of the diablo atmosphere but the lack of direction is not typical for console crowd.

"tight " environtments that will allow 4 players on 1 tv to follow the same screen with their characters on it.. D3's environments remind me of the old gauntlet style arcade games...

controls actually clearly designed for gamepad.. count the skills and then buttons on an xbox controller.. characters will be moved with directional pad .. bam.. works flawlessly.. D2 had more keybind options and controls ( though not heaps ) that were reduced to fit this control scheme.

EDIT: deleted a paragraph by mistake
graphics.. made more colorful and accessible with strong visual indicators, swipes etc as to what is going on which makes MUCH easier to follow on a TV screen while sitting on the couch.
blurred, low res textures and low visual fidelity is not an issue when on TV screen but helps with the consoles lack of memory .

EDIT: just want to add i think D3 will be GREAT on console.. i can't stand the PC version because of all it should have been but wasn't but i can see it being great fun on a couch... shame its keeping diablo name though... will be a completely different game from the other 2 when the transition is complete.
The problem is that a lot of you people think that the console crowd are nothing more than a bunch of simple people who can't handle REAL complex PC games like D2 and that is the reason why D3 was "dumbed down". Truth is it's 2013 and the amount of people that play video games is 10x bigger on both PCs and consoles then it was back in 2000... it's streamlined like everything else to appeal to a larger audience. Hell how many "hardcore gamers" do you think play PC games like LoL or WoW?
02/23/2013 07:21 AMPosted by obie1970

As if Demon's Souls is a good example of an rpg -.-''
From experince.

Started FFXI way back when it first came out on Ps2, Switched to PC with better graphics.
played ffxi for over 10years.

The only thing they "Dumbed Down" on that game that held it back a little was the Graphics. They couldnt put to much detail into the game . That was already awsome mind you. because the ps2 couldnt handle all the upgrades.

other then that we had everything. it was not limited one bit.

On a 2nd note. if you look at alot of the games coming out in 2014 and on they are all mixed platform games. its what the gaming world is coming to. And it is awsome!
The souls series is not a good comparison. They did indeed stick to their guns and have made a non simplistic game that is as punishing as it is rewarding. Dark souls has also only sold 2 million copies with Xbox and ps3 combined. Compared to skyrims 12.5 million. As far as simpler more streamlined games go skyrim wins by a mile over dark souls. Blizzard wants skyrim numbers not DkS numbers.
02/23/2013 08:31 AMPosted by Swagman
The souls series is not a good comparison. They did indeed stick to their guns and have made a non simplistic game that is as punishing as it is rewarding. Dark souls has also only sold 2 million copies with Xbox and ps3 combined. Compared to skyrims 12.5 million. As far as simpler more streamlined games go skyrim wins by a mile over dark souls. Blizzard wants skyrim numbers not DkS numbers.

Non simplistic game? LOL. There is nothing of complex in Dark Souls -.-''
Times have changed, the ones QQ-ing are oldies stuck in the diablo 2 era.
There is, for the most part, an agreement that D3 was at some point intentionally diluted or stripped or however you want to say it, of a lot of interesting and good features. Not only the stuff we saw from closed beta but ideas they could have easily borrowed from D2. I don't think anyone here would say that spell synergies was a dumb idea.

The 2 sides I see as an explanation as to why D3 is not at its full potential right now is (my opinion) either
A. The choice to release it as a console game impacted design choice, in order for D3 to accommodate for the MUCH BROADER age range of console players more intricate features were opted out to appeal to a MASS MARKET.
B. Blizzard has made some poor choices in development leading to what we have now.

Now I personally (remember opinion) feel that option B is harder to believe. Because blizzard has the financial backing of WoW, the experience of being what some would say a leader in the gaming industry for over a decade, and having amazing titles in the past to learn from their previous successes.

They have money, they have experience, and they have a reputation and name to attract top developers to want to work with them. It's because of all of these reasons that I feel like its harder to believe that blizzard just made a flop of a game on accident. I mean look at Starcraft 2. They didn't just scrap the basis of the game. They built upon and improved Starcraft 1 and its great.

Oh, come on.

So your argument is that Blizzard has too much money and is just too darn perfect to make a sub-par game unless they intentionally sabotage themselves? And you think that is the more realistic argument?

Hell, if you look at WoW, you can see some of the trends indicating that Diablo 3 was going to end up where it is now. That game has steadily been simplified and streamlined. Not to mention that Diablo 2 (the great game that Diablo 3 was really supposed to resemble) was made 12 years ago with a completely different development team.

Non simplistic game? LOL. There is nothing of complex in Dark Souls -.-''

As if Demon's Souls is a good example of an rpg -.-''

Compared to what? If you're actually saying that the Souls games are easily accessible, then you have openly declared that you don't know what you're talking about. The Souls games are examples of ARPGs. They don't bang you over the head like other RPGs, but that doesn't change that the fact that it's still an RPG.
02/23/2013 09:38 AMPosted by Petyr
Compared to what? If you're actually saying that the Souls games are easily accessible, then you have openly declared that you don't know what you're talking about. The Souls games are examples of ARPGs. They don't bang you over the head like other RPGs, but that doesn't change that the fact that it's still an RPG.

Arpg? Maybe its you who dont know what are you talking about. A game that relies on memorizing enemy patterns to avoid them,how complex. Ffs, the game even has the option to leave notes to other players -.-''. Do you really want me to start compare it to real rpgs? Just because you have items and skills,that doesnt make it an rpg. Hell,i dont even see d3 as an any kind of rpg.
5 Orc Warrior
Diablo 3 coming out to ps3& ps4...... I don't think blizzard even cares about makin games anymore diablo 3 is without the worst game they made EVER.......
5 Orc Warrior
EVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Both were 100% PC games ported to consoles. Both were bad and both were forgotten.
The player base has significantly dropped in D3, so bringing console players into the mix may help the game in many ways. That is, if PC players can co-exist with console players.

However, the main argument is not about bringing the game to consoles, but about the quality D3 shipped with onto PC's. A 2012 title such as D3 could have, and should have been way bigger than what it was. It shipped as an arcade style type of game, and still feels that way for many. I had 10+ friends on my list that haven't been on for 80+ days. That is all you need to know about how the player base dropped in this game. Some people will say, "oh that's great, let them leave, who needs them." However, in reality...we do need these players back. A minimal player base = a dying game, and a dying game simply dies out quick.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]