Diablo® III

I don't get multi-platform negativity

02/23/2013 09:55 AMPosted by Amiscar
Compared to what? If you're actually saying that the Souls games are easily accessible, then you have openly declared that you don't know what you're talking about. The Souls games are examples of ARPGs. They don't bang you over the head like other RPGs, but that doesn't change that the fact that it's still an RPG.

Arpg? Maybe its you who dont know what are you talking about. A game that relies on memorizing enemy patterns to avoid them,how complex. Ffs, the game even has the option to leave notes to other players -.-''. Do you really want me to start compare it to real rpgs? Just because you have items and skills,that doesnt make it an rpg. Hell,i dont even see d3 as an any kind of rpg.

I never said that Diablo 3 was an RPG. I'd agree with you on that one. The only thing vaguely customizable in Diablo 3 is the character name. That's not the case with the Souls games. Also, I'm not really sure that I get why the notes that people can leave are somehow a problem. Not to mention that there's a whole lot more to those games than just items and skills.
02/23/2013 10:50 AMPosted by Petyr
Also, I'm not really sure that I get why the notes that people can leave are somehow a problem.

It's not a problem,just an indication of a option made to facilitate players progression. I give credit for Dark Souls for what it is (despite its lousy pc port), but I think you can find Rpgs with more depth to compare.
JOIN THE AH THEN THERE WILL BE NO NEGITIVITY
I don't understand how folks feel that this game has been optimized for the console controller. As with all of the other blizzard games for console, I have never understood how a controller can be used to perform all of the same functions as a mouse.

Some examples that I have difficulty seeing converted:
Item Pickup: How do you go about programming item pick up for a controller? Right now, we have a dedicated pointing device that is ideal for differentiating between desired and undesired items. What do you use for console? The right thumb stick? You will lose a tremendous amount of accuracy and will result in frustration on level higher than even D3 has seen. If you instead take the cursor out, what do you do then? Use a highlighting system that will have to cycle through every single item on screen to get to the one you want? That doesn't seem very optimized to me.

Movement: This suffers from the same problem as Item Pickup - The mouse cursor. Moving that damned cursor to point to where you want to be will be too frustrating and time consuming that it will result in many deaths and returned copies of D3. If you take the cursor out, it will help greatly free up movement, but you will end up with Item Pickup concern as well issues with...

Targeting: This one is key. Most of the skills in this game have some measure of directionality and distance requirement to cast. Right now, we use the mouse pointer to accomplish this task, but with a console, you will have the same issues discussed about. The problem becomes compounded even further if you remove the cursor to fix the movement issue. AOE abilities can generally be targeted with a thumbstick but this will require starting from the caster and moving the target box to the desired location. Single target abilities like Exploding palm will have massive targeting issues as well. Will you have to cycle through all of the enemies surrounding you just to get to the ONE enemy you are wanting to hit?

While I cannot dismiss the possibility that Activision (Not Blizzard...not anymore) designed the game with consoles in mind, it doesn't seem very likely. The current skill set and controll scheme will lose too much in translation to make the case very well.
So many butt hurt console player in this thread - Even the thought that this game was dumbed down because it was destined for consoles is more than you can stand? It is obvious to all where the complexity of the game went whether you want to admit it or not
This is coming from a long-time fan of gaming, particularly Blizzard games.
I absolutely LOVED Starcraft, Warcraft, even The Return of Superman for SNES. However, I was disappointed in the finished product of Diablo 3. Is it a bad game? No. Could it have been better, especially based on what was shown in the developer videos pre-release? Absolutely...but I digress...
When I saw the video of the Playstation event and the Blizzard logo came on, I got EXCITED. In spite of my disappointment of Diablo 3 and the general attitude of some of the newer Blizzard team members, I still wanted to see what was next. That, and i wanted a good reason to buy a PS4. :)

Was it a completely new and original game? No.
Was it a possible sequel or spinoff to a game I liked? Again, no.
When Chris Metzen got onstage, he said, "We feel...we KNOW, in partnership with Sony, that we HAVE OUR GAME." What we got was a rehash of a semi-decent game that shrouded in some bad publicity.
Everything from Jay Wilson cussing out David Brevik(the co-founder of Blizzard North and developer of Diablo), to the now-infamous Error 37, the whole Diablo franchise is now sadly covered with a awful stigma, yet THIS is the game that Blizzard chooses to highlight as its flagship product for the Playstation 4? Not only is it not new or a PS4 exclusive, but it's something that NO ONE was asking for. Add this to the deliberate design decisions for Diablo 3 and it seems like this was the plan all along. Compromising the quality of a game, simply to sell it to a wider audience, might be financially beneficial in the short run. But in the long run it simply alienates your current customers and will cause them to hesitate when considering a future purchase of your product.
Yet again, I'm disappointed in Blizzard. It's becoming par for the course.
People are mad that they are focusing on porting the game over to the console when the PC version is far from being fixed.

They are essentially porting over a beta version. I'm pretty damn positive that nobody would care if it made it to every single console out there if the actual PC version was good instead of broken beyond repair.
02/22/2013 03:02 AMPosted by Japhasca
It really makes you wonder what Diablo 3 COULD have been, if they weren't planning on porting this game to consoles, doesn't it?

No, it doesn't. Not at all. the only difference would be control mechanisms, and D3 was clearly designed for PC controls (keyboard + mouse) so I don't see ANY choices designed for console.

Have you not played D2 and how many hotkeys you could have assigned to skills? All the micro you could have done with that many hotkeys?
The decision to make versions for consoles meant that several aspects of the game had to be redesigned so that it can accommodate console gamers and as such, it resulted in the game being "dumbed down".

It really makes you wonder what Diablo 3 COULD have been, if they weren't planning on porting this game to consoles, doesn't it?

They never wanted to "port" the game. They wanted to see if it was possible to design the game for a console. So, they designed a DIFFERENT version of the game for the console. The changes made to the PC version have NOTHING to do with the console version. Have you seen the screen shot of the PS version?? Notice how NOTHING looks the same....hmmmm....if the way you do EVERYTHING is different...how can one effect the other?
Edited by MrBojangles#1676 on 2/23/2013 1:52 PM PST
I don't understand how folks feel that this game has been optimized for the console controller. As with all of the other blizzard games for console, I have never understood how a controller can be used to perform all of the same functions as a mouse.

Some examples that I have difficulty seeing converted:
Item Pickup: How do you go about programming item pick up for a controller? Right now, we have a dedicated pointing device that is ideal for differentiating between desired and undesired items. What do you use for console? The right thumb stick? You will lose a tremendous amount of accuracy and will result in frustration on level higher than even D3 has seen. If you instead take the cursor out, what do you do then? Use a highlighting system that will have to cycle through every single item on screen to get to the one you want? That doesn't seem very optimized to me.

Movement: This suffers from the same problem as Item Pickup - The mouse cursor. Moving that damned cursor to point to where you want to be will be too frustrating and time consuming that it will result in many deaths and returned copies of D3. If you take the cursor out, it will help greatly free up movement, but you will end up with Item Pickup concern as well issues with...

Targeting: This one is key. Most of the skills in this game have some measure of directionality and distance requirement to cast. Right now, we use the mouse pointer to accomplish this task, but with a console, you will have the same issues discussed about. The problem becomes compounded even further if you remove the cursor to fix the movement issue. AOE abilities can generally be targeted with a thumbstick but this will require starting from the caster and moving the target box to the desired location. Single target abilities like Exploding palm will have massive targeting issues as well. Will you have to cycle through all of the enemies surrounding you just to get to the ONE enemy you are wanting to hit?

While I cannot dismiss the possibility that Activision (Not Blizzard...not anymore) designed the game with consoles in mind, it doesn't seem very likely. The current skill set and controll scheme will lose too much in translation to make the case very well.

The item pick up I can't really see how that's going to work, but from watching the Playstation release that took place on Feb. 20th, and had a Blizzard rep there talking about Daiblo 3...you're going to move just by simply moving the left joystick and press face buttons to use your attacks...as far as targeting...IDK, hold R1 on the controller?? Easy. Not to mention they're going to have all 4 D-Pad buttons at their disposal for things such as bringing up the skills window, town portal, inventory screen, and map. As far as the item pickup...now that I think of it...you could probably click the thumbstick for that...IDK. There are sooooo many ways they can map the controls onto the PS controller. I don't really see much of an issue.
You guys are so childish to ever mind about things like this. There are people who works on the game patch and there are other people who codes it into the console. Not all programmers are "geniuses" who can do everything from console port programming to game developing programming even towards game mechanics programming. They write different codes and they do different jobs. A company can work in several project at the same time, especially, a mega game developer.

I find a lot of PC gamers either overly childish or way too selfish/jealous for others to have what they have. You can never change that console has taken over the gaming market and it will for a very long time. Just deal with it.
02/23/2013 01:41 PMPosted by DeadRu
So many butt hurt console player in this thread - Even the thought that this game was dumbed down because it was destined for consoles is more than you can stand? It is obvious to all where the complexity of the game went whether you want to admit it or not

We keep hearing this, I ask for examples and they basically come up empty. This whole fox news take it out of context or make it up mentality needs to go. On the 4 player thing, We have had players in the game state that in 4 player games at time you can't even see the mobs. Then the fact that now consoles support more than 4 players. This is the same mob that was waving the WoW ruined the game flag a month ago.

Let's face it Dead it doesn't matter what examples you are given, you just trot out the same fanboi responses every time. Someone mentions the more complex systems in D2 and you talk about botting and cheats. When POE is mentioned you talk about how you spent all of 5 minutes playing it and that was enough for an expert like yourself to know that it was trash. There is no objectivity in any of your posts, you support Blizz no matter what. I really hope you are getting paid for this because there can be no other logical reason for you cut and pasting the same responses into every thread that even slightly criticizes D3
You guys are so childish to ever mind about things like this. There are people who works on the game patch and there are other people who codes it into the console. Not all programmers are "geniuses" who can do everything from console port programming to game developing programming even towards game mechanics programming. They write different codes and they do different jobs. A company can work in several project at the same time, especially, a mega game developer.

I find a lot of PC gamers either overly childish or way too selfish/jealous for others to have what they have. You can never change that console has taken over the gaming market and it will for a very long time. Just deal with it.

I beg your pardon??

PC gaming is on the rise again, deal with it :))

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/pc/why-pc-gaming-is-far-from-dead-1118383

http://www.techspot.com/news/47701-dead-or-alive-pc-gaming-generates-a-record-186-billion-in-2011.html

http://gametheoryonline.com/2012/02/04/pc-gaming-not-dead-computer-games-steam/

http://www.gamespot.com/news/pc-gaming-not-dead-says-maxis-6393894

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/97047-thank-you-farmville-pc-gaming-will-soon-overtake-consoles

And I could go on. Those are just from the top of my search.
I agree with OP, consoles are very competitive these days, so why not to expand possibilities.
People are trolling here, it's clear the game is not designed with PCs strictly in mind, because the game sucks !@# compared to what it could have. Everything about the game seemed so limited and non-intuitive and it's the final piece to the puzzle, the game was designed for consoles, not for PC.
+1 OP
02/23/2013 04:23 PMPosted by Rowan
People are trolling here, it's clear the game is not designed with PCs strictly in mind, because the game sucks !@# compared to what it could have. Everything about the game seemed so limited and non-intuitive and it's the final piece to the puzzle, the game was designed for consoles, not for PC.

You didn't give a thought-out reason which is what OP inquired about
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]