Diablo® III

I don't get multi-platform negativity

It will have positive effects on the PC community.

It will serve as an "up-sell", whereby console folks can get their D3 on and then find out that the one true way of experiencing it is on PC. So it could drive new customers.

I will also increase brand awareness. Blizzard don't have a big presence on console at the moment. That's a huge market to ignore, so by increasing the overall market for D3, we could see Blizz sinking more resources into updating the game. Don't forget PS seems to have feature-parity with PC so I would expect the knife to cut both ways, Blizz would update the core experience across all platforms.
Simplified Skill tree

Even more simplified skill allocation/changes

No stat allocation

Super linear maps

Colorful maps all over

Health globes ( even if i like them )

The number of total skills you can use ( count how many buttons a pad has , coincidence? )

No LADDER

No PVP yet

The buttons comment perhaps notwithstanding, this is a primary example of a really bad, snobbish argument.

I have been playing console games since the Atari 2600. I have been playing PC games regularly since Ultima 4. In the long-term since then, I have played many, MANY console games that surpassed the assumed "complexity" of PC games, and many had systems that you mentioned above.

The console market is not entirely made up of simpletons like such a post implies. There are many complex games that are designed for consoles and that console gamers and PC gamers alike enjoy.

While it is true in the past there were differences, they were generally due to technological considerations, and the other differences--like the long standing difference between "console" and "PC" RPGs, for example--came down mainly to target audiences.

This is no longer the case. A high-end gaming rig is simply another "console" to complete with other consoles. The only real differences in what games can be like on each comes down to available controlling methods (pads, mouses, keyboards, motion control, etc.) and the artificial limitations on content manipulation that console makers tend to impose on games. A PC can be replaced or upgraded without changing its game choices, whereas consoles come in discrete iterations that limit (nowadays) nothing more than graphical considerations, realistically speaking.

To assume that console gamers need a "dumbed-down" version of something is to be a boorish snob.
Edited by Japhasca#1443 on 2/24/2013 12:28 AM PST
The multi-platform negativity is in fact a Blizzard negativity. The relative merits of each platform aside, most attacks around here are not directed at PS3/4 or Xbox, but at the fact the game was structured in a (simplistic) way that would make it accessible for consoles - and that in order to make this possible many features of D2 (skill tree, multiplayer, itemization etc) were sacrificed by the devs - who did not own up to this and instead lied to the community about the true reasons behind their substandard game.
Those who want to, do enjoy your D3 on a console, by all means. All of us playing on PC are just a bit miffed because we have been test-driving the game for you, and because this steps means that it's now official that all future updates of D3 cannot contain the many improvements required to make this a great PC game.
02/24/2013 02:16 AMPosted by Presence
but at the fact the game was structured in a (simplistic) way that would make it accessible for consoles - and that in order to make this possible many features of D2 (skill tree, multiplayer, itemization etc)

This keeps coming up and it literally makes no sense. I have played many console games with these things.

Why do you people keep insisting that console somehow means dumber?

Try a new angle, this one is patently wrong.

If anything, computer games are getting dumber, all these two-motion, touchscreen games and angry birds knockoffs (which is a knockoff, itself.)
Edited by Japhasca#1443 on 2/24/2013 2:26 AM PST

While we are at a point now where consoles have actually caught up with, and in some situations, surpassed, the average gaming PC,

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh, man people really are this !@#$ing STUPID, no wait that would be an insult to stupid people.

%^-*ING WASTE OF OXYGEN.
It will have positive effects on the PC community.

It will serve as an "up-sell", whereby console folks can get their D3 on and then find out that the one true way of experiencing it is on PC. So it could drive new customers.

I will also increase brand awareness. Blizzard don't have a big presence on console at the moment. That's a huge market to ignore, so by increasing the overall market for D3, we could see Blizz sinking more resources into updating the game. Don't forget PS seems to have feature-parity with PC so I would expect the knife to cut both ways, Blizz would update the core experience across all platforms.

No it won't, how will it have positive effects? Look at the Diablo PC community right now.
It won't brand Blizzard any better if the game sucks, just makes them look like their harvesting a cash cow. Blizzard's updates wouldn't make a huge difference at this point, the game was broken and boring to begin with so your argument is invalid.
One thing I don't get about everyone is hating on the drop rates in Diablo 3. If you could just get all of your gear super easy why would you even play?
OP: SC1 and Diablo 1, was developed solely to the PC, without Consoles in mind.

However, Diablo 3 developed on first Consoles in mind, and PC after.

Huge difference.
02/22/2013 03:00 AMPosted by Oxygenetic
The decision to make versions for consoles meant that several aspects of the game had to be redesigned so that it can accommodate console gamers and as such, it resulted in the game being "dumbed down".

It really makes you wonder what Diablo 3 COULD have been, if they weren't planning on porting this game to consoles, doesn't it?

Not really, do you have absolutely any experience porting a game from one system to another?
02/24/2013 06:46 AMPosted by TheSarian
One thing I don't get about everyone is hating on the drop rates in Diablo 3. If you could just get all of your gear super easy why would you even play?

Ha! Tell that to console player, Imagine playing God of War with grieving RNG,
no console player would be pleased, if the game have grieving PC RNG.

Hey guess what, D3 PS3 is offline, it has been confirmed. I'll buy D3 again for the offline mode.
Japhasca

Starcraft was available on N64.
Diablo was available on PS1.

Both were shadows of their PC selves.

Problem is that.

Starcraft and Diablo 1 have been porteted from PC to consoles. Diablo 3 is ported from consoles to PC.
Edited by Zloteusz#2883 on 2/24/2013 8:15 AM PST
66 Orc Warrior
I swear its like this community has amnesia or is mildly retarded. The game was not dumbed down to fit the console, YOU the community dumbed it down with your incessant whining about how it is too hard. Why don't people admit it lol? YOU dumbed it down. And how is a new skill system, linear maps representative of a console game? WTF does that mean, its just a new type of skill system and game interface, that's it. For real stop complaining.

sincerely,

Avic
I've found it really surprising how so many pc players think they are superior to console players.
Starcraft was available on N64.
Diablo was available on PS1.

Both were shadows of their PC selves.

While we are at a point now where consoles have actually caught up with, and in some situations, surpassed, the average gaming PC, D3 is still optimized for keyboard + mouse and any console, controller based version will still be alienating to anyone who has played the PC version. It's also under-powered to the point where much older rigs can run it at 100%.

That's not my main point, however.

Multi-platform releases are as old as video gaming. Whenever multiple game systems existed, multiple computer platforms existed, or even earlier, when either one of those existed alongside an arcade game, we've seen a multi-platform release of games.

Even when multiple platforms cross-communicated, such as Final Fantasy XI, none of the releases impeded any of the others.

What I want is a LEGITIMATE and WELL-THOUGH-OUT reason for why ANYONE thinks the PS announcement has ANY EFFECT WHATSOEVER on the PC D3.

Let me help you understand bro...this game is broken and most players are really hating it and leaving...The game directer has even left the game completely...now instead of Blizzard working to better this game...they are working to port it to a PS3 so they can line their pockets with more money...they are not worried at all about our experience all they care about is the money. That is the problem! Fix this game...don't just port it to a damn PS3...
I swear its like this community has amnesia or is mildly retarded. The game was not dumbed down to fit the console, YOU the community dumbed it down with your incessant whining about how it is too hard. Why don't people admit it lol? YOU dumbed it down. And how is a new skill system, linear maps representative of a console game? WTF does that mean, its just a new type of skill system and game interface, that's it. For real stop complaining.

sincerely,

Avic

You are one of the very few people that understand what is really going on with this game...Now I must say that for as long as they had to develop this game they still massively failed. But it has been the community that has been the complete down fall of this game. I believe all the pay 2 win games have broken people to real gaming. Everybody just wants to drop a lil cash and be elite...nobody wants to work for it. It took me over a year in old school Wow before I got even ONE epic item...by the time I left all you had to do was grind the in the battle ground for an hour or two and you had enough to buy a new purple. Everything has become easy mode...I can hardly stand gaming any longer. Not to mention the terrible community and extremely negative people.
I'm still so blown away by all the hatred towards D3 . All these people moaning and groaning about how bad the game is , and how much they hate it . Here's a crazy idea , if you dont enjoy the game .....dont play it .
02/24/2013 08:46 AMPosted by whoopadeedoo
I can't say for sure if multi-platform is to blame for D3's current state; No one really can (except the people in control). But I'm humored by anyone who suggests that console games can be as deep and complex as PC games.

You play through Halo 3? That was a pretty epic adventure...i've never had a game pull me into the story line like that before...but you are right PC gaming just offers much much more in terms of customization and a skilled keyboard and mouse user should own a control user...although I got a buddy that plays CoD on the highest sensitivity level and he is amazing at it...I'd say he's close to the level of play a high end mouse user would reach...
02/24/2013 08:49 AMPosted by ZEROCOOL
I'm still so blown away by all the hatred towards D3 . All these people moaning and groaning about how bad the game is , and how much they hate it . Here's a crazy idea , if you dont enjoy the game .....dont play it .

What you don't get is that a lot of us have been die hard Blizz fans and have defended them...have stood by them. Have talked up this game for over 10 years...the hype was insane for this game...and then it came out...People like me have stopped playing but we are still here on the forums giving input hoping that maybe somebody on the blizz team reads something and realizes how far off track they have gotten over the years. GREED has become the biz model...it didn't used to be so. Catering to the casual gamer is not the way to go...if you want to cater to those people make a damn casual game!!! You dumbed down Wow to cater to them...now you've nerfed this game to hell and it's a shell of what it was supposed to be.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]