Diablo® III

I don't get multi-platform negativity

I honestly do not believe that making D3 a cross platform game would "dumb it down" in anyway, D2 would have worked fine on the consoles of time. Maybe the graphics will be toned down a little but other then that, there would be no difference. Even if the developers had in mind to bring D3 out on the PS, why not do it a year a go when the game came out?

if anything this just sounds like another good old episode of pc fan boys crying about "their" games being given to the console gamers.

You just don't get it. D3 is simplified not because of any technological aspect of consoles inability to handle it or system limitations like controller buttons.

It's because the console gaming crowd has a broader age range than PC gamers. I would bet that blizzard wants D3 to have mass appeal like CoD so they have purposely opted out of more intricate design choices like skill trees and stat points so that 8 to 12 year olds will be able to understand and play the game with ease.
I hope Blizzard uses this as an opportunity to better flesh out act III and act IV, especially the latter.

As a writer, as well as a gamer, I can plainly see what is wrong with the game. Not that it is necessarily bad--just that it could be better.

In regards to Act I and Act II, it's easy: we've been to Tristram before and haven't we seen enough desert dunes in the Diablo universe to last a lifetime? When facing something that has been done before, especially in your own universe, you have to take those old ideas and revisited lands and try to take them in another direction, at the very least.

Belial was the Lord of Lies, wasn't he? Act II should have been under a vibrant but deceitful mirage of his making. Unfortunately, this didn't happen.

As for Act III, I would like the storm in the beginning to be a little more intense to try to give the game the ambience that was in the first two games, which in this edition it is more or less lacking.

We haven't visited the High Heavens before. For me the architecture doesn't work. Even with the corruption, I still think the High Heavens would be radiant to behold, for us mortals might you. We wouldn't necessarily be able to see the distant architecture. The blinding radiance would also fix the ambience problem.

And that's just a few ideas.

P.S. Golden still hasn't paid me for my short story (wouldn't mind reading her Fable novel)
I honestly do not believe that making D3 a cross platform game would "dumb it down" in anyway, D2 would have worked fine on the consoles of time. Maybe the graphics will be toned down a little but other then that, there would be no difference. Even if the developers had in mind to bring D3 out on the PS, why not do it a year a go when the game came out?

if anything this just sounds like another good old episode of pc fan boys crying about "their" games being given to the console gamers.

You just don't get it. D3 is simplified not because of any technological aspect of consoles inability to handle it or system limitations like controller buttons.

It's because the console gaming crowd has a broader age range than PC gamers. I would bet that blizzard wants D3 to have mass appeal like CoD so they have purposely opted out of more intricate design choices like skill trees and stat points so that 8 to 12 year olds will be able to understand and play the game with ease.

What's so intrincate and complex about skill trees and stat points?
To a 50 year old business exec who has never played video games in his life and wants to make the game more appealing to younger gamers, I bet that skill trees and stat points look confusing as hell to him, so if he doesn't get it then surely youngsters won't either. That's who is calling the shots.
Community Manager
02/22/2013 02:57 AMPosted by Hypersonic
The argument is that the console versions has already had an effect on the design of the game some time during development. The decision to make versions for consoles meant that several aspects of the game had to be redesigned so that it can accommodate console gamers and as such, it resulted in the game being "dumbed down".

This particular argument is certainly making its rounds. And, in most cases, it's being used to validate the viewpoints of people who disagree with how Diablo III was designed. While having those disagreements is fine, blaming console for why they even exist is a pretty poor scapegoat.

No, the PC version of Diablo III was not designed for console from the beginning. It was developed for the PC with one major goal in mind: provide players with an awesome hack-and-slash computer game that's both fun and engaging. Whether or not we achieved that goal is certainly up for debate within this community, but it doesn't make it any less real or valid. All the decisions we made when developing Diablo III -- including combat, skills, character controls, user interface, and itemization -- were ones we believed would deliver a great experience on the PC, and the same can be said for the improvements we've made since launch. These decisions were not hindered (i.e. "dumbed down") by the development of a PlayStation version or altered to accommodate it.

For clarity, the PS3 version of Diablo III is based on the PC version and will include many of the same features as the PC game, including content all the way up to patch 1.0.7. From there, it's being tailored specifically for the PlayStation platform and will feature changes like a redesigned control scheme, camera perspective, and UI.

So, while there may be some players who don't like how Diablo III was designed for PC, the PlayStation version of the game was ultimately predicated by the PC experience (not vice-versa). If you don't like the skill system, the inclusion of the auction house, or how itemization works, that's fine and we certainly respect those opinions, but please try to attribute those disagreements to the right place. :)
Edited by Lylirra on 2/26/2013 11:33 AM PST
02/25/2013 04:17 PMPosted by Lylirra
So, while there may be some players who don't like how Diablo III was designed for PC, the PlayStation version of the game was ultimately predicated by the PC experience (not vice-versa). Therefore, if you don't like the skill system, the inclusion of the auction house, or how itemization works, that's fine, but please try to attribute those disagreements to the right place.

I wish I could believe this wasn't just more spin...

Unfortunately, I don't. There are too many aspects of the game that are tailor made for a game pad. There is a reason this speculation is here and it is well-founded. At least the "we designed it to easily port to a console" explanation doesn't make it abundantly clear that the design team was under-qualified to make an ARPG...
Edited by Fayld#1951 on 2/25/2013 4:28 PM PST
diablo 3 was dumbed down to work for console

random match making

auction houses instead of name game trading

no stats not skill tree yeah smells like a console game
Edited by Kevin#1555 on 2/25/2013 4:25 PM PST

They got tired of whining about whatever else was the hot topic of the week and moved on to this. Give it a week or two and they will be whining about something else.

LOL Thats is so true.
So, while there may be some players who don't like how Diablo III was designed for PC, the PlayStation version of the game was ultimately predicated by the PC experience (not vice-versa). Therefore, if you don't like the skill system, the inclusion of the auction house, or how itemization works, that's fine, but please try to attribute those disagreements to the right place.

In essence, the playstation lovers should be mad that D3 was originally made for PC and not specifically made for playstation, not the other way around. :) Just kidding! No one should be mad.
The argument is that the console versions has already had an effect on the design of the game some time during development. The decision to make versions for consoles meant that several aspects of the game had to be redesigned so that it can accommodate console gamers and as such, it resulted in the game being "dumbed down".

This particular argument is certainly making its rounds. And, in most cases, it's being used to validate the viewpoints of people who disagree with how Diablo III was designed. While having those disagreements is fine, blaming console for why they even exist is a pretty poor scapegoat.

No, the PC version of Diablo III was not designed for console from the beginning. It was developed for the PC with one major goal in mind: provide players with an awesome hack-and-slash computer game that's both fun and engaging. Whether or not we achieved that goal is certainly up for debate within this community, but it doesn't make it any less real or valid. All the decisions we made when developing Diablo III -- including combat, skills, character controls, user interface, and itemization -- were ones we believed would deliver a great online experience, and the same can be said for the improvements we've made since launch. These decisions were not hindered (i.e. "dumbed down") by the development of a PlayStation version or altered to accommodate it.

For clarity, the PS3 version of Diablo III is based on the PC version and will include many of the same features as the PC game, including content all the way up to patch 1.0.7. From there, it's being tailored specifically for the PlayStation platform and will feature a redesigned control scheme, camera perspective, and UI.

Lylirra,

While Blizzard had a kick at the can of making a fun engaging hack and slash game.. I think you and I both know where the community as a whole stands on this...

With that being said; how can Blizzard think about porting the game to console, when the current PC version it's based off of, is not adopted all that well by the community? If the console version is to be successful and sell a lot of copies.. does it not make sense to port a game over that is well received?
90 Draenei Shaman

No, the PC version of Diablo III was not designed for console from the beginning. It was developed for the PC with one major goal in mind: provide players with an awesome hack-and-slash computer game that's both fun and engaging. Whether or not we achieved that goal is certainly up for debate within this community, but it doesn't make it any less real or valid. All the decisions we made when developing Diablo III -- including combat, skills, character controls, user interface, and itemization -- were ones we believed would deliver a great online experience, and the same can be said for the improvements we've made since launch. These decisions were not hindered (i.e. "dumbed down") by the development of a PlayStation version or altered to accommodate it.

For clarity, the PS3 version of Diablo III is based on the PC version and will include many of the same features as the PC game, including content all the way up to patch 1.0.7. From there, it's being tailored specifically for the PlayStation platform and will feature a redesigned control scheme, camera perspective, and UI.

So Lylirra do you eat bologna for breakfast, lunch and dinner? And you know what I mean by bologna? Well its brown and it stinks. Like huge horse bologna. Or Elephant bologna...which ever you prefer.
Edited by GunnerSquad#1122 on 2/25/2013 4:46 PM PST

"The PC version of the game is "Dumbed down" for the need of producing a console version in the future" - this may sound awful to you, well then,
how about this:
The dev team completely underestimated the diablo fanbase and thought that a lazy design of the game with just a few cool features can be comparable with its predecessor in which it was suitable to be played in many, many ways that satisfied a big size of player group where there is with many different type of playable ways.
90 Blood Elf Warrior

That still doesn't change the fact that D3 is a dumbed down version of D2.

Your opinion does not = fact, regardless of how loudly or repetitively you state it.

Is it different, sure. But I'd say it's more streamlined as opposed to dumbed-down, especially considering the nature of games today versus the nature of games in D2's time. There's heaps of opportunity for ongoing patches, fixes, and content. Frankly, I'm having more fun with D3 than I ever did in D2 so many years ago.

I don't know if it's the MMO mindset making people expect a different flow of gameplay, but based on how many people complain about 'class balance' (a laughable standard in what is ultimately a single-player hack & slash withoptional teaming, no real pvp and thus no need for balance), I suspect that's part of it. In regards to class balance, ok sure let's balance the classes. D3 then becomes WoW with fewer buttons, gg.

This isn't an MMO with infinite replay value. This isn't D2. It's a different game, different style, different gaming era. If you have criticism (x would be great, y is a little meh, z could use a lil work) stick around and let the developers know. If you just plain don't like it and proclaim it's terrible, gtfo the forums and play something else.

Half of you probably got it free with an annual pass anyway, and those that didn't had every opportunity to see what it was before you paid.

Craps given = 0.

Thanks for addressing a real issue people have... Well said and well respected.

+1 Respect to Lylirra

Remember, Bruce Lee got famous for breaking the rules. I know you are a community manager but you don't have to be politically correct all the time. Getting dirty on these forums and addressing the most passionate players make you real. Thanks for the feedback.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]