Diablo® III

I don't get multi-platform negativity

So, while there may be some players who don't like how Diablo III was designed for PC, the PlayStation version of the game was ultimately predicated by the PC experience (not vice-versa). Therefore, if you don't like the skill system, the inclusion of the auction house, or how itemization works, that's fine, but please try to attribute those disagreements to the right place.

On second thoughts, that statement sounds like it agrees that it wasn't dumbed down on purpose but it's solely because of the lack of vision and wisdom to create a greater, successful sequel.

That sounds even worse. Since the game has already turned out to be like this even without putting console into account.
Edited by MisterAjikko#1937 on 2/25/2013 4:49 PM PST
This isn't an MMO with infinite replay value. This isn't D2. It's a different game, different style, different gaming era. If you have criticism (x would be great, y is a little meh, z could use a lil work) stick around and let the developers know. If you just plain don't like it and proclaim it's terrible, gtfo the forums and play something else.

Half of you probably got it free with an annual pass anyway, and those that didn't had every opportunity to see what it was before you paid.

then fking tell them to change the game's name.
it's such a pathetic thinking you have there.
02/25/2013 04:22 PMPosted by whoopadeedoo
So you're telling us that at no time was the console taken into consideration during the development of the PC version? I find it difficult to digest that a PC version can directly translate into a console version without compromise by mere coincidence.

this guy for president
90 Draenei Shaman
02/25/2013 04:45 PMPosted by OldSchool

This particular argument is certainly making its rounds. And, in most cases, it's being used to validate the viewpoints of people who disagree with how Diablo III was designed. While having those disagreements is fine, blaming console for why they even exist is a pretty poor scapegoat.

No, the PC version of Diablo III was not designed for console from the beginning. It was developed for the PC with one major goal in mind: provide players with an awesome hack-and-slash computer game that's both fun and engaging. Whether or not we achieved that goal is certainly up for debate within this community, but it doesn't make it any less real or valid. All the decisions we made when developing Diablo III -- including combat, skills, character controls, user interface, and itemization -- were ones we believed would deliver a great online experience, and the same can be said for the improvements we've made since launch. These decisions were not hindered (i.e. "dumbed down") by the development of a PlayStation version or altered to accommodate it.

For clarity, the PS3 version of Diablo III is based on the PC version and will include many of the same features as the PC game, including content all the way up to patch 1.0.7. From there, it's being tailored specifically for the PlayStation platform and will feature a redesigned control scheme, camera perspective, and UI.

So, while there may be some players who don't like how Diablo III was designed for PC, the PlayStation version of the game was ultimately predicated by the PC experience (not vice-versa). Therefore, if you don't like the skill system, the inclusion of the auction house, or how itemization works, that's fine, but please try to attribute those disagreements to the right place.

Thanks for addressing a real issue people have... Well said and well respected.

+1 Respect to Lylirra

Remember, Bruce Lee got famous for breaking the rules. I know you are a community manager but you don't have to be politically correct all the time. Getting dirty on these forums and addressing the most passionate players make you real. Thanks for the feedback.

Why are you comparing a community manager for Blizzard to Bruce Lee? She did not address anything.
90 Blood Elf Warrior

Sad. Just sad that because Blizzard slaps their logo on something people are willing to just accept any standard for game design.

Has nothing to do with logos, no idea what part of my post you took this from. The game could have been made by NCSoft or anyone else. Fun game = fun game. And speaking of NCSoft...

Sure, it's not an MMO. It's basically a single player ARPG designed around the gear chase. The problem is that they've done everything possible to make that grind as monotonous, boring, and sometimes unrewarding as hell for days on end.

You haven't played many games have you lol. Specifically, anything by NCSoft. You think Diablo's grind is bad? You're spoiled, bud. Everything's guaranteed - either by virtue of patience through monster drop, crafting (sorta), or the AH. Either farm it or buy it - heaps of folks have no problem doing this.

So yeah, don't expect people to sing high praises simply because they've slapped on some band-aid fixes and cosmetic changes without actually altering the root problems with the game.

People don't need to sing high praise, but people do need to remove heads from rear before going all up-in-arms. And speaking of root problems with the game, I have yet to see one pointed out in this thread. Please note that buzzphrases like 'dumbed-down', 'clone', 'appealing to age groups', and other vague complaints don't actually provide examples of key problems with the game. What I do see is 'I PLAYED THIS FOR X THOUSAND HOURS AND IT SUCKS'. If it sucks, the hell you still doin here?

then fking tell them to change the game's name.it's such a pathetic thinking you have there.

Why should they change it? And what should it be? It's the Diablo storyline, but with boobs and newer graphics.

Your bandwagon is boring and baseless, but at least it's carrying you out the door (I hope).
Why should they change it? And what should it be? It's the Diablo storyline, but with boobs and newer graphics.

Your bandwagon is boring and baseless, but at least it's carrying you out the door (I hope).

You can't understand it with that mindset, that is.

But, fine. Guess it suits you. Go outside and call a guy "Dad" because he has beard, and call a random woman "Mom" because she has boobs, then.

*Nope, I don't think I have problem with my comprehension. I'm more suspecting that someone has an extra-ordinary mindset.
Edited by MisterAjikko#1937 on 2/25/2013 5:15 PM PST
90 Blood Elf Warrior
Yeah, ok something about beards bro. In your case, comprehension skills might be part of your problem.

Oh, and I'll be having just as much fun playing on my PS3 as I do on the PC. Just thought I'd throw that in there.
Edited by Paincake#1832 on 2/25/2013 5:06 PM PST
Community Manager
02/25/2013 04:22 PMPosted by whoopadeedoo
So you're telling us that at no time was the console taken into consideration during the development of the PC version?

During the development of the PC version, the job and goal of our design team was to create a fun product for the PC. After launch, it's been to support the game in the form of content updates, balancing, and bug fixes. That's their focus.

Beyond that, we actually have an independent team of designers, engineers, artists, and producers that are dedicated to adapting Diablo III to the PlayStation and creating an epic console experience. It's their job to take the PC game and translate it to the PS3, and in a way deal with all the considerations you're talking about. While our console team and PC team do collaborate (and have collaborated in the past), it's always to ensure that we’re staying true to D3 on the PlayStation platform.
02/25/2013 04:17 PMPosted by Lylirra
The argument is that the console versions has already had an effect on the design of the game some time during development. The decision to make versions for consoles meant that several aspects of the game had to be redesigned so that it can accommodate console gamers and as such, it resulted in the game being "dumbed down".

This particular argument is certainly making its rounds. And, in most cases, it's being used to validate the viewpoints of people who disagree with how Diablo III was designed. While having those disagreements is fine, blaming console for why they even exist is a pretty poor scapegoat.

No, the PC version of Diablo III was not designed for console from the beginning. It was developed for the PC with one major goal in mind: provide players with an awesome hack-and-slash computer game that's both fun and engaging. Whether or not we achieved that goal is certainly up for debate within this community, but it doesn't make it any less real or valid. All the decisions we made when developing Diablo III -- including combat, skills, character controls, user interface, and itemization -- were ones we believed would deliver a great online experience, and the same can be said for the improvements we've made since launch. These decisions were not hindered (i.e. "dumbed down") by the development of a PlayStation version or altered to accommodate it.

For clarity, the PS3 version of Diablo III is based on the PC version and will include many of the same features as the PC game, including content all the way up to patch 1.0.7. From there, it's being tailored specifically for the PlayStation platform and will feature a redesigned control scheme, camera perspective, and UI.

If playstation gets offline play, PC players should get the same.
90 Draenei Shaman
So you're telling us that at no time was the console taken into consideration during the development of the PC version?

During the development of the PC version, the job and goal of our design team was to create a fun product for the PC. After launch, it's been to support the game in the form of content updates, balancing, and bug fixes. That's their focus.

Beyond that, we actually have an independent team of designers, engineers, artists, and producers that are dedicated to adapting Diablo III to the PlayStation and creating an epic console experience. It's their job to take the PC game and translate it to the PS3, and in a way deal with all the considerations you're talking about. While our console team and PC team do collaborate (and have collaborated in the past), it's always to ensure that we’re staying true to D3 on the PlayStation platform.

So if after launch you have a team that is here to support the game, why is there still duping going on? I mean we all know that we are in fact the ones getting duped.
Edited by GunnerSquad#1122 on 2/25/2013 5:11 PM PST
[quote]

Craps given = 0.

yes, your wall of text certainly highlights this point

and lylirra - bull!@#$. i know your job is damage control but its impossible to fathom that you actually believe what you are saying.

I think you are kinda just beating around the bush.
You still can't be 100% sure that some certain elements of the game are being designed (or redesigned during the game is being made) are taken into account because of a possibility of console port in the future.
View profile
I still wanna see people spam their fury spenders for permawrath with a PS3 controller :)
I can see blisters and cramps in their future!
02/25/2013 05:06 PMPosted by Lylirra

i can barely read this without laughing
What is with Blizzard's obsession with the word 'epic'? There is nothing epic about D3. Such a disaster.

Many people theorized that the game was dumbed down for consoles before it even released for PC, guess they were right. Also, can the blues beat around the bush any more? I'd love it if one day they just came out with a straight answer
Edited by bend0ver#2564 on 2/25/2013 5:14 PM PST
What is with Blizzard's obsession with the word 'epic'? There is nothing epic about D3. Such a disaster.

Many people theorized that the game was dumbed down for consoles before it even released for PC, guess they were right. Also, can the blues beat around the bush any more? I'd love it if one day they just came out with a straight answer

You are kidding right?

02/25/2013 04:17 PMPosted by Lylirra
No, the PC version of Diablo III was not designed for console from the beginning. It was developed for the PC with one major goal in mind: provide players with an awesome hack-and-slash computer game that's both fun and engaging.

How is that not straight forward. I mean, did you even bother reading or is that too much work?
Edited by Nilrem#1603 on 2/25/2013 5:20 PM PST
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]