Diablo® III

I don't get multi-platform negativity

02/22/2013 04:04 AMPosted by Doomherald
They got tired of whining about whatever else was the hot topic of the week and moved on to this. Give it a week or two and they will be whining about something else.

Sadly, that seems to be the case. I, personally, believe that the more people enjoys Diablo 3, the more we benefit with attention, content and stuff.
02/22/2013 02:53 AMPosted by tbagala
Both were pretty terrible,

if d3 is "so bad" on pc imagine on a console xD
Nobody cares that consoles get D3. The entire source of anger is that blizzard knew it was a port from the start and that impacted design choices.

Why/how? You ask. It's basically this, consoles have a much much higher amount of younger gamers. There's a ton of 8 to 12 year olds that own Ps3 or Xbox not so many that have a gaming computer. For a business exec this is a prime untouched market. So diablo 3 will be designed in such a way so it can be inclusive to the 8-12 year olds, because if you make it too complex to exclude them that's leaving money on the table.

Morrowind is a fantastic example. That was a PC game ported to console. Everything about the UI showed that this was a PC game designed for the PC.

Now skip ahead to skyrim. The UI is so blatantly designed around using a controller that it feels really clunky on a PC. Skyrim was designed for consoles.

Now look at the complexity in character building, stat allocation, gear (remember gloves and pauldrons?) in Morrowind compared to Skyrim. One was designed with the PC in mind one was designed with consoles in mind. And there is still a large group of people that say Morrowind is still the best TES game.

So now using that example look at diablo. D2 was designed completely for the pc,it was complex and had real rpg character developing in stat points skill trees and gear customization.
Now look at this super watered down version of it that is D3. For a long time people were holding out hoping that they will make it better, but this announcement happens and then people put it together in their head.
Oh d3 is such a lackluster successor to d2 because it was designed for consoles from the start.

It parallels why skyrim is a lackluster rpg when compared to Morrowind. One was designed for the PC crowd the other for consoles.
Understand I'm not saying console gamers are dumb, but you cannot deny that consoles have a much higher amount of 15 and younger gamers. And as a business if you are going into a new market it only makes sense to want to have your product be inclusive to a large consumer group in that market, that's just good business.
The argument is that the console versions has already had an effect on the design of the game some time during development. The decision to make versions for consoles meant that several aspects of the game had to be redesigned so that it can accommodate console gamers and as such, it resulted in the game being "dumbed down".

No one is arguing that cross-platform gaming is a bad thing. If D3 turned out to be a really good game, no one would care if they ported D3 over to consoles.

Thre is no argument. There have been really successful console titles with plenty of depth. The real problem is pc gamers sometimes tend to have this holier than thou attitude towards console "peasants". This is of course, nothing more than absurd snobism. These people are just mad because the game didn't turn out to be a d2 clone with upgraded graphics, and are using this announcement to rationalize their unfunded assumptions, even though several of the explanations given to support some of the changes made a lot of sense, regardless if they took the best decisions or not.
D3's skill and stat system definitely looks like it was designed for console.
Starcraft was available on N64.
Diablo was available on PS1.

Both were shadows of their PC selves.

While we are at a point now where consoles have actually caught up with, and in some situations, surpassed, the average gaming PC, D3 is still optimized for keyboard + mouse and any console, controller based version will still be alienating to anyone who has played the PC version. It's also under-powered to the point where much older rigs can run it at 100%.

That's not my main point, however.

Multi-platform releases are as old as video gaming. Whenever multiple game systems existed, multiple computer platforms existed, or even earlier, when either one of those existed alongside an arcade game, we've seen a multi-platform release of games.

Even when multiple platforms cross-communicated, such as Final Fantasy XI, none of the releases impeded any of the others.

What I want is a LEGITIMATE and WELL-THOUGH-OUT reason for why ANYONE thinks the PS announcement has ANY EFFECT WHATSOEVER on the PC D3.

Their point is that they have always wishfully thinking that the conspiracy theory that they don't like Diablo because it was intended for consoles was true.

Of course, it really doesn't hold any water. If you see the screenshots for the Console version, there are huge changes in interface. Which shows that really the port and PC version are different. Simple as that. The ideas that these people do not like in D3 are attributable to the design team having different tastes than them. Not because Blizzard intended to release it for consoles.
The argument is that the console versions has already had an effect on the design of the game some time during development. The decision to make versions for consoles meant that several aspects of the game had to be redesigned so that it can accommodate console gamers and as such, it resulted in the game being "dumbed down".

No one is arguing that cross-platform gaming is a bad thing. If D3 turned out to be a really good game, no one would care if they ported D3 over to consoles.

Thre is no argument. There have been really successful console titles with plenty of depth. The real problem is pc gamers sometimes tend to have this holier than thou attitude towards console "peasants". This is of course, nothing more than absurd snobism. These people are just mad because the game didn't turn out to be a d2 clone with upgraded graphics, and are using this announcement to rationalize their unfunded assumptions, even though several of the explanations given to support some of the changes made a lot of sense, regardless if they took the best decisions or not.

Seriously did you even read the follow up.

It has nothing to do with a perception that PC gamers are better than console gamers

It has everything to do with an old guy in a suit with an MBA that looks at a graph that shows average number of consumers by age, and he notices that the 8-15 year old range is dramatically higher on consoles than it is on PC. HE then makes the decision that he wants to cater towards including that group to maximize profits.

This isn't an attack on you or any console gamers its just a fact that more 4th graders own a playstation than an Alienware computer.
I just think Blizzard is loosing time making a game that half world thinks it is very disappointing to the consoles, when it should be making a NEW Diablo 4, fixing all the problems that Diablo 3 has.

An then, they could port Diablo 4 for the consoles too, I really don't care. But... why loose more time making this game to the consoles?

More time working in a piece of crap game that no one likes so much...

Blizzard is a big and rich enterprise... you dont need to make your players wait more 10 years to announce a new Diablo 4. Just do it now. Diablo 3 was not good, stop loosing time with it. Give support to the game of course, but.. leave it behind and make a real Diablo game.

While we are at a point now where consoles have actually caught up with, and in some situations, surpassed, the average gaming PC

What situations have consoles surpased PC in? I can only think of one and that is being able to have 4+ players on the same system
OP - this game was built and designed ground up for consoles. Period.

The complexities have been stripped completely.

Only having 4 players in a group.

Even the design of... everything... it all makes sense to me now why the massive deviation from the original Diablo title.

That's what it is... "Ohhhhhh - now I get it." That is what is happening here collectively we all just got a light bulb. This is why Diablo3 is the way it is and so vastly inferior to the past Diablo titles... because they designed it ground up for consoles and not PC.

Consoles have zero complexity to them. They are arcade style gaming for arcade styles gamers... there's no thought to the games... they MUST follow X formula to be successful... they cannot have anything "difficult" to them in terms of design and decisions with your characters.

I get it now. I understand why this game was so fail from the ground up it was designed specifically for consoles and tested on us poor saps. GG Blizzard GG.
ok first a console cant touch a real pc consoles are limited in everyway tell the next best one comes out where as a pc i want better graphics new card more memory add ram more procssing speed new procssor so on and so farth consoles have one thing a controler? wait i can hook that controler up to my pc. i have an 8120 eight-core processor bulldozer black editon that i have clocked at 4.0 G-Skillz RipjawsX2x 4gbXL DDR3-1866 & 2x 2gbXL DDR3-1333 for my memory and a evga nvidia 550ti gtx video card. now why would i touch a console let alone buy a game for console. only 1 thing hackers. other then that get console players out of here and make better pc games. my pc isnt pro or close its just ok alot of upgrades still to be done but will smash any console out there. pc gamers are that PC GAMERS console gamers are CONSOLE GAMERS true pc users dont even touch consoles cuz they cant compare. some play both me nope true pc to the end.
OP, are you comparing a game from the 90's to a game in 2013?

I suppose that PS4 announcement explains everything about D3.

---4 players.

---The full-retard mode itemization.

---The full-retard mode skill system.

---Low mob density almost everywhere. I guess handling more mobs would be too difficult on a PS pad.

Terminal case of consolitis. Shame.

I might just uninstall the game now, there is just NO HOPE the game will be ever fixed, now that we know that from day 1 it was all about consoles.

GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER.

None of those design decisions has to do with porting to PS. People just wanna feel like they can lame blame somewhere to justify their anger of wanting the game to be something different.

8 player games would suck. 8 players in the keeps all spamming nados, twisters, and cyclone and I wouldn't even be able to see where to go with all the graphics.

How would a PS not be able to handle loot with more affixes or procs?

Skill system was designed because players demand to respec rather than reroll in this day and age. Devs determined that a skill tree that encourages choice is pointless when you have builds that you can't delineate from, where people would just look up the "build". That doesn't mean there are flaws with the current skill system. But it has nothing to do with PS

Low mob density was designed with their original version of Inferno in mind. When you then nerf Inferno philosophy it makes low mob density look bad, but its probably not something you can change until an expansion.
8 player games would suck. 8 players in the keeps all spamming nados, twisters, and cyclone and I wouldn't even be able to see where to go with all the graphics.

So the decision to make it 4 players max was a design decision based on testing and the fact that consoles have a 4 player limit is a bloody coincidence?

Seriously did you even read the follow up.

It has nothing to do with a perception that PC gamers are better than console gamers

It has everything to do with an old guy in a suit with an MBA that looks at a graph that shows average number of consumers by age, and he notices that the 8-15 year old range is dramatically higher on consoles than it is on PC. HE then makes the decision that he wants to cater towards including that group to maximize profits.

This isn't an attack on you or any console gamers its just a fact that more 4th graders own a playstation than an Alienware computer.

I didn't take it as a personal attack at all. The point is, a lot of people seem to believe the "complexity" of Diablo (whatever that nonsense may be) was somehow "sacrificed" to cater to teenagers. Diablo was never a complex game, despite what many of these self appointed "hardcore experts" want to believe, yet they keep believing it was so they can stroke their interwebs ego by pretending they are somehow superior for finding number crunching and theorycrafting appealing.

To be honest, i find the "beta testing" argument more convincing, because the game in it's original release was in fact, a blatantly unfinished product. Not saying it has improved all that much, but at least the sentiment makes sense to a certain extent, as opposed to those self appointed ARPG experts claiming their soul was forever shattered because their made up complexity was forever taken away by evil corporate pigs. It gets even funnier when they talk about how complex and intrincate D2 was. It's like watching some snobby art critic trying to extrapolate some deep meaning off a contemporary art piece, when he's in fact just expressing his opinion.

In the end, these people are simply trying to rationalize the hate they developed as a product of D3 not being the upgraded D2 clone they expected it to be.
I don't understand why people don't get why some are upset about it.

It doesn't have anything to do with D3 being ON a console - but that it was MADE for consoles.

Startcraft and Diablo 1 for consoles where originally designed for PCs THEN ported.

It's only been said hundreds of times in different ways with varying degrees of rage since the ps4 news.

Why is it that hard to understand that Diablo 3, which was designed for consoles from the start, is limited to what a console can do and not what a PC can do (usually more)? That's why people are mad.

How is it not able to be understood?
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]