Diablo® III

I don't get multi-platform negativity

Community Manager
Hey Lyr... any chance you might respond the questions I formulated to ya?

Thanks!

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7979938071?page=19#368 :)

Someone asked some very similar questions to yours!
MVP
View profile
I'll take the "we didn't know" stance, then though I'm sure that a lot of this happened more in upper management closed door talks (more than you are probably privy to)......

Riddle me this though....Why is the PS3 version just announced with an Offline Mode? Is that not a PR nightmare at this point? It was WELL known that every single person from the minute that it was announced to be online only for PC wanted the offline version. Why in the world would you guys all of a sudden announce the exact thing you slammed the PC version down for if the PC version was the "first one that was programmed for"?

Online only is largely a measure to prevent piracy and item duping.

This shouldn't be an issue on consoles given that piracy is almost nonexistent on the PS3.
MVP FAQ: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4038704716#2
88 Worgen Warrior
I can't buy that as the full answer though. I remember specifically that it was said that it COULDN'T be programmed for an offline mode. The game wasn't designed to do that. It would have to be a complete re-architecture of the code to do it. So if the PS3 version is based off of the PC version (because the PC version was "first" and focused on), then how in the world can an offline mode in the PS3 version exist? That means it IS possible for offline play in the PC version, but they just won't do it. To me that seems like a PR nightmare.
So just like patch 1.03 then patch 1.05 where new legendaried got added to the game thats going to keep happening making people spend more time and money into the game?.

The problem is peoples old gear will become worthless and i just have to mention u need to look into buffing demon hunters for the next patch and i really hope next patch isnt months away.
02/25/2013 06:55 PMPosted by DarkKnight
i really hope next patch isnt months away.

Learn to never get your hopes up with d3. A lot of people would be better off if they expected crap from the beginning.

This shouldn't be an issue on consoles given that piracy is almost nonexistent on the PS3.

You're joking, right?
You can say "there's way more piracy in PC than in PS3", but what you said is just not true. Every PS3 game is pirated, and I have first hand experience with this, even though I don't own a PS3.
88 Worgen Warrior
Yea like I said, I can't buy that's the full argument. Is it likely the truth that all it was was to deter piracy and (putting my conspiracy hat on) save the code from being looked at to see that there was some things programmed for consoles in it? Sure. But I remember being fed the lines that it just couldn't be done. The coding would take a massive amount of time to remove from being server side code to run on client side, so it wasn't feasible. So are we to buy into (considering the response we just saw that the PS3 version is written on the PC code) the fact that the console team has completely recoded the architecture for the code to allow this in the PC code? That they spent most of their time making it so you COULD play it offline? I get that they reskinned the GUI and changed some camera controls, but re-worked the entire engine? I don't think they would spend the development resources on that......
02/25/2013 06:51 PMPosted by Drothvader

And yet those things still exist.

All this DRM does is hurt the people who play the game legitimately...
02/25/2013 07:06 PMPosted by Tomac

Like all DRM's in all games. They're short-sighted measures.

I'd love to see a CM comment on this (offline play for PS version), though I know I never will.
MVP
View profile
You're joking, right?
You can say "there's way more piracy in PC than in PS3", but what you said is just not true. Every PS3 game is pirated, and I have first hand experience with this, even though I don't own a PS3.

A very small minority of people actually run with a custom firmware capable of loading games directly from the disk.

I did not say it was impossible, nor did I said it DIDN'T exist. I said it was ALMOST nonexistent.

I know exactly how it's done and I'm not oblivious to it. It just said it's not prevalent.

Any PC that can run a retail version can run a pirated version of a game. Only a very small number of PS3's can actually do this if modded correctly. The infrastructure to facilitate it is drastically different.

Didn't say they didn't exist. I just stated they were countermeasures that discourage those actions.
View profile
Hey Lyllria,
Once you guys complete production on the PS3 version, are you going to go ahead with plans to release it or will you be holding back its release until the PS4 version is complete?
88 Worgen Warrior
You're joking, right?

A very small minority of people actually run with a custom firmware capable of loading games directly from the disk.

I did not say it was impossible, nor did I said it DIDN'T exist. I said it was ALMOST nonexistent.

I know exactly how it's done and I'm not oblivious to it. It just said it's not prevalent.

Any PC that can run a retail version can run a pirated version of a game. Only a very small number of PS3's can actually do this if modded correctly. The infrastructure to facilitate it is drastically different.

Didn't say they didn't exist. I just stated they were countermeasures that discourage those actions.

Ok so you're saying it can be pirated.....I get it. Now how about the coding part? Don't tell me you don't remember them coming back about it not being "possible" in the PC version due to the focus being online. How you explain that one smart guy? :)
MVP
View profile
Hey Lyllria,
Once you guys complete production on the PS3 version, are you going to go ahead with plans to release it or will you be holding back its release until the PS4 version is complete?

From what I saw the PS4 is IBM x86 based.

As long as it is written in a code that is understood by the PS4 such as C++ (Which I'm pretty sure it is) a port should be almost flawless.

Ok so you're saying it can be pirated.....I get it. Now how about the coding part? Don't tell me you don't remember them coming back about it not being "possible" in the PC version due to the focus being online. How you explain that one smart guy? :)

It's not possible by the simple "flick of a switch" so to speak as all of the processing is done server side. However, it can likely be rewritten.

You would basically need to rewrite the PC version to play it offline. Since the console version is being rewritten anyway to be optimized for a console, this is feasible.
Edited by Drothvader#1215 on 2/25/2013 7:17 PM PST
Hey Lyr... any chance you might respond the questions I formulated to ya?

Thanks!

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7979938071?page=19#368 :)

Someone asked some very similar questions to yours!

I saw those answers. I meant I understand if you can't/don't have the answers as my questions were more in-depth, (juicy details) them the ones you've answered. But thanks. At least these problems are being considerated....

One last thing Lyr... regarding Legendarys with more unique affixes, It would be pretty awesome if you guys took some of the lowbies legs the way D2:LoD made them: viable gear alternatives and components to itemization and item diversity. The system of "uping" the base legendary item was a one that I was very fond of and one that many people utilized... Upped Vmagis, Uped Travs, Uped chances, Uped Arreats, Uped weapons (that'd be really nice).
Even if the port to PlayStation didn't have anything to do with how !@#$ty the game is right now, there are still many problems. I really have no idea why I check out the forums anymore. I quit playing months ago. Maybe I just hope that someday Blizzard will do something right? I try to have hope...but you've crushed my dream that Diablo 3 can still be the game I had hoped it could be.

I wish the %^-* itemization got fixed
(http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/9989/infographiclarge.png
http://i.imgur.com/nbrls4t.png).
I wish we could have more randomized maps instead of a slightly different tunnel from A to B every time.
I wish we could battle anywhere, not just a little brawling pit (I know why this is the case, but it's retarded).
I wish there wasn't a 4 player cap (gee, that's oddly familiar to a console number of players).
I wish the player could move around the acts like they did in D2.
I wish there were more customization options.
I wish that there were items that gave me skills from other classes or let me turn into a vampire or anything cool (see !@#$ itemization again).
I wish there were more than just 4 gems, because after 10 years it doesn't make sense to reduce the number of options. Or does it? Blizzard is that fun? Ok I believe you.
I wish D3 had that 'special something' that always had me coming back to D2.

It's kind of sad that these things could have been implemented...because the game was in production for a decade.

Sincerely, a worried Diablo fan.
Edited by TheCrow#1349 on 2/25/2013 7:21 PM PST
02/25/2013 07:11 PMPosted by Drothvader

So like i said, all the DRM does is hurt legitimate players. Do you not agree?
88 Worgen Warrior
Hey Lyllria,

From what I saw the PS4 is IBM x86 based.

As long as it is written in a code that is understood by the PS4 such as C++ (Which I'm pretty sure it is) a port should be almost flawless.

It's not possible by the simple "flick of a switch" so to speak as all of the processing is done server side. However, it can likely be rewritten.

You would basically need to rewrite the PC version to play it offline. Since the console version is being rewritten anyway to be optimized for a console, this is feasible.

No doubt feasible....and that's my beef with it. It CAN be done (in fact they are doing it). So do you think they spent most of their development cycles to rewrite the code THAT much and spend most of their time making it work offline? I highly doubt that. They set some artists at the GUI and then reworked the camera / controls. Then most of the other devs are porting the main code to work on the CELL / PS3 API. I can't see them spending too much time on restructuring the code completely to work offline if it wasn't already in there to begin with to do it. So that being the case, outside of saying "it was because of DRM and piracy and the RMAH", then why in the world all the fuss that they just "couldn't recode the game to work offline"? Bait and switch? It just contradicts the entire statement that the PC version was created with JUST the PC version in mind......you'd HAVE to have made decisions in the code to make it easier to port and do these kinds of features. It's just not time / money management feasible not to. So don't give us the line that the PC was built for just the PC version and not consoles.
Heh guys,

Just let them have their way, everyone one knows they will make it for the console what company wouldnt want to make as much money on thier property rights. But look at this way console gamer are casual players end of story. they will but D3 for console than play it than once kill diablo himself they will go on to other games for the console... console gamer has never had a true following for any games for years. Call of duty? give me a break they have so much of expansion on call of duty. it was design for the console gamer who gets easily bored due to the simplicity of game create for them.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]