Diablo® III

I don't get multi-platform negativity

02/26/2013 07:02 AMPosted by papadanko
Personally I don't want to have to sda24c2q2wa21aw1c1az when I play, I play in the dark, so 1211214413 is more my style.

That's why you develop muscle memory so you don't have to look at the keyboard when you type and play games.
Ok so lets suppose that what Lylirra said is true.

That means that D3 is blizzards 100% at giving us a great game. How's that grab you? There was no ulterior motives changing design decisions. This game as we have it is blizzards all in effort to give their fans a fantastic diablo game.

Whats the opposite of that? Trying to give a 0% great game? Is Blizzard purposely trying to go out of business by making junk games for the public?

I'm saying if what Lylirra is saying is true this game is their best effort. I'm not saying they didn't try Lylirra just said they did. This game is the best showing blizzard could possibly manage when it came to D3. As Lylirra said this is blizzard putting their best foot forward, thinking of delivering the best possible game and keeping the player experience the number 1 goal. That's exactly what was said.

So if blizzards absolute best effort is this game, then yes I would assume that they will be going out of business in the future. Either that or Lylirra lied. You can choose which to believe.
02/25/2013 04:17 PMPosted by Lylirra
No, the PC version of Diablo III was not designed for console from the beginning.

I'de seriously recommend as many people as possible sending screencaps of these statements to every gaming press source they can think of. Seems like some folks could use a good lesson in accountability. Shareholders just love reading about stuff like this.
02/26/2013 07:30 AMPosted by Tomac
That's why you develop muscle memory so you don't have to look at the keyboard when you type and play games.

Well, I've had 20+ years of keyboard experience, so the muscle memory is there, but I drink when I play, so I do get a bit sloppy when things get hot and button-mashy. :D
I'de seriously recommend as many people as possible sending screencaps of these statements to every gaming press source they can think of. Seems like some folks could use a good lesson in accountability. Shareholders just love reading about stuff like this.

02/26/2013 07:32 AMPosted by Raby
No, the PC version of Diablo III was not designed for console from the beginning.

PC version

not designed for console

c'mon man, read!

also, you seem kinda mad about something
SERIOUSLY Blizzard... CUT THE CRAP...

Even before the realease it was said that you are planning to ship the game on consoles too.

This is the reason why the game got cut by half in all the great ideas you presented durring Blizzcon... It's the reason why the max party size is 4, why there will not be duels in bigger partiesm why we can use only 1 kind of potion, why there are only 6 active skills to use etx etc...

BTW. I can already see the shopping lines for console version of the game :)
Edited by Dako#2201 on 2/26/2013 7:54 AM PST
02/25/2013 04:17 PMPosted by Lylirra

No one is saying that Diablo 3 was designed for consoles from the beginning. At least not that I've heard. What I have argued, and continue to argue is that somewhere in the middle of development, a deal was struck with Sony. "Which of our great titles could translate well to Consoles" is what we were told on the Sony stage. That deal, in my mind was struck mid 2010.

That’s when we, the REAL fans of Diablo, started getting all kinds of weird news about the development:

Skill Trees: Gone
Stat Points: Gone
Stat System: Reworked
Rune Itemization: Gone

Everything started getting streamlined, and dumbed down during mid 2010.

So no, we don't think D3 was designed for consoles FROM THE BEGINING. It took the development and yanked the wheel off course during mid 2010.

"One couch to rule them all" What an insulting slogan for Diablo fans - I was genuinely embarrassed and insulted by that. He used the words "Ease and simplicity" when describing D3. The game was streamlined and made EASY once the console agenda was set in place.

Spin it any way you want, Lylirra, but your just playing with words.
Edited by Snow#1554 on 2/26/2013 7:54 AM PST
If you don't like the skill system, the inclusion of the auction house, or how itemization works, that's fine and we certainly respect those opinions.

I hope you do because those are they only opinions I've ever heard about this game. Keywords: "don't like."
@ Lylirra

Thanks for opening my eyes about blizzard with all this lying
Then why the F is there no 5 player coop? Did you hit a breakpoint in performance? There are 5 chars in case you missed!
25 Blood Elf Priest
02/25/2013 04:38 PMPosted by Deadlysynz
While Blizzard had a kick at the can of making a fun engaging hack and slash game.. I think you and I both know where the community as a whole stands on this...

I think you assume too much. There's a lot more to it than just forums and it's not as if things are even close to unanimous here. People who post here either way are a very tiny minority of the whole and it's easy to forget that when you make a complaint and the same 100 people chime in to agree that it's still not that many people.
25 Blood Elf Priest
No one is saying that Diablo 3 was designed for consoles from the beginning. At least not that I've heard.

Plenty of people have said exactly this.
I feel confident enough to say that if you took a poll of all the people who bought D3 the % of players that would call the game disappointing is higher than those that would say its good. Followed closely by the response "which one is d3 again?"
Edited by Swagman#1757 on 2/26/2013 9:23 AM PST
02/22/2013 03:02 AMPosted by Japhasca
clearly designed for PC controls

Mmm I beg to differ bud. Designing a game with 4 abilities, a Main attack and a Secondary attack then one last "key" to activate potions... I see 4 spots for your typical 4 button map on a controller, a Right and Left Trigger map for your Prime & Sec attacks and your D-Pad for anything else you might need.

Joystick control can be adjusted for movement and potentially cursor control. Hell, SixAxis could even be implemented and just go for motion ctrl.

I'm all for moving the game to console provided that 2 things are respected post-migration:

1. The game stays intact - PC and PS versions must be seemless in every single aspect

2. Linking B.net characters with console characters.

I can already hear the pesimist community whine and cry about how impossible it would be to cross platform Bnet characters over into console or viceversa. And I'm going to call Bull on that.

With the budget Blizzard has been packing in over the years - WoW being an AMAAAAAAAAAAAAZING source of revenue and destroying Release Day sales with D3 - It is utterly inconcevable to designate a Dev team SOLELY on integrating crossplattform between both Bnet and Console characters.

If I use the same e-mail to log into my PSN account and my Bnet account - I'M POSITIVE Blizz has some DevWiz somewhere in their ranks that can wip up a chunk of code allowing its LOYAL FANS to play their well groomed Bnet characters in the confort of their damn couch.

There, I said it.
02/26/2013 09:19 AMPosted by Moanshadow
No one is saying that Diablo 3 was designed for consoles from the beginning. At least not that I've heard.

Plenty of people have said exactly this.

Ok, no one who was paying attention then. I followed the development relgiously, and it veered toward simplified consoldom in mid 2010
That "other stuff included" can make a HUGE difference though.

And since it has the name DIABLO, the "other stuff" should make a huge difference!

But D3 seems to be just a DPS machine, and so it is "just" a hack-n-slash instead of DIABLO game.

That is what I was trying to point out when our beloved CM quoted me and then made that statement!

A good hack-and-slash game is still just a hack-and-slash game.
I never really got into console's, but one thing I observed while watching my brother and others play console games, is that they appear to be designed for people with low attention spans.

My brother would buy a game play it for a week, invest a total of 20 hours into the game tops, complete it, then take it back and exchange it for another game.

The only reason I see people continuously play the same console game is because of the multiplayer factor (PvP not PvE).

The way D3 was designed there will never be a viable multiplayer PvP element to the game (for PC's at least anyways). This is why one still isn't released and they brought out brawling to try and sedate people for awhile, they totally recognize they can't create a balanced PvP environment within the current context of the game.

Even if they did manage to balance the classes completely, the mechanics of the AH and RMAH have destroyed any chance to have a balanced encounter. No matter what Blizzard thinks they can come up with they will never have a balanced PvP environment , without changing all the game rules for PvP, which is counter intuitive. Look what they did already, they bumped all ranged champ's base defense up to match melee's. It's changes like this that break the game, these are work arounds for a flawed system.

Since it's very apparent that the game indeed had changes made to it for a console release, it's disappointing for me (and I only speak for myself here), because they kept the same original concept of mass farming (a PC concept), but dumbed the game down soo much that mass farming is so boring (and yes i've tried pretty much every skill build possible on my wizard, built a monk and a barbarian, I've tried to diversify), but none of that helps me get over the fact at login screen that no matter what I do, it's still going to be the same boring repetitive game.

D3 is a throwaway game, they're just looking to make the initial sale for their initial profits, then after 20-30 hours of playing on the console people will move on to the next game, and Blizzard won't care, because their goal of making that initial sale was reached. Or with the console system if done right they could introduce a truly effective PvP that will keep people around longer. The PC system is already too broken to accomplish this without a complete redesign.

I've played 500+ hours already, could you really picture a console gamer investing 500+ hours and not getting at least 1 BiS item? I still have yet to get a single BiS item, and 95% of my equipment was bought on the AH. I would still keep grinding away to get one if the game wasn't so boring. There's zero sense of accomplishment for me at this point.
Here is a direct link of Blizzard answering most questions. Including the controversial dumbed down for console question.

http://www.diablofans.com/news/1575-gear-customization-coming-in-future-patch-diablo-3-was-designed-for-pc-no-cross-platform-play-or-characters-witch-doctor-suggestions-compilation/
The argument is that the console versions has already had an effect on the design of the game some time during development. The decision to make versions for consoles meant that several aspects of the game had to be redesigned so that it can accommodate console gamers and as such, it resulted in the game being "dumbed down".

This particular argument is certainly making its rounds. And, in most cases, it's being used to validate the viewpoints of people who disagree with how Diablo III was designed. While having those disagreements is fine, blaming console for why they even exist is a pretty poor scapegoat.

No, the PC version of Diablo III was not designed for console from the beginning. It was developed for the PC with one major goal in mind: provide players with an awesome hack-and-slash computer game that's both fun and engaging. Whether or not we achieved that goal is certainly up for debate within this community, but it doesn't make it any less real or valid. All the decisions we made when developing Diablo III -- including combat, skills, character controls, user interface, and itemization -- were ones we believed would deliver a great online experience, and the same can be said for the improvements we've made since launch. These decisions were not hindered (i.e. "dumbed down") by the development of a PlayStation version or altered to accommodate it.

Many articles tend to differ with you. Remember these two?

Sept. 2011 Jay Wilson is exploring console version
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/09/diablo-3-on-consoles-why-the-game-may-work-better-on-a-controller/

Jan 2012 Bashiok confirms console versions
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/01/diablo-3-consoles/

I imagine that considering this is when we heard about it that this was discussed much earlier, probably early enough to have a significant impact on how the game was developed, even the PC version (mid 2010-ish as people are mentioning probably).

Of course, they denied it later on without actually outright denying it:
http://gamerant.com/diablo-3-console-version-not-experimenting-dyce-149072/

My belief is they began to deny out of fear of what is happening now: people believe the PC game's development was hindered by attempts to bring it to console. Denying it allowed them to respond with the above quote and similar others.

My belief is that Blizzard had plans well in advance to bring this to console, and that these plans did, in fact, affect development.

Also, as people have pointed out, of course it wasn't developed from the beginning to be for console. That doesn't mean the decision to bring it to console had no effect on development.

Edit: I also wanted to point out how funny it is that Runic Games, some of whom worked on D2, took Torchlight in the opposite direction. The first game was for both PC and Console and had no multiplayer at all but they made the second game PC only with multiplayer. Unlike Blizzard, though, they allowed for both online and offline play. they allowed modding, and they allowed more than 4 people in a game (likely a product of plans for a console version for D3). This is among many other things they changed and innovations they made for the better.
Edited by pavi#1390 on 2/26/2013 11:24 AM PST
25 Blood Elf Priest
Again, Blizzard would be stupid to design Diablo III in such a way as to make it completely impossible to port it to consoles at some point. They missed that opportunity entirely with Diablo II and I'm quite sure were not anxious to make that mistake a second time.

But, that said, that is not the same thing as saying that it was designed purely for consoles. Your mileage may vary on that but there is a distinction. Every game design has boundary conditions. Insuring that you don't design your way into eliminating a potential several-hundred-million dollar market is a reasonable condition to consider.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]