Diablo® III

I don't get multi-platform negativity

My biggest concern is the focus on consoles is going to cause longer delays for updates on the pc side of things.

We as players have already done everything there is to do, and brawls are just not engaging in any meaningful way. I think some serious end game content(infinity dungeons with procedural generation) would go a long way in showing the players, hey we still love you, and its not going to be another year before you get some real content to play with.

Right now we are looking at multiple months between patches, and when those patches come they seem pretty lack luster and lacking in quality vs how long it took for them to come.

this latest patch added brawling which was more then a year in the making, scrapped, and then duct taped together while you go back to the drawing board. We got 2 classes with updates out of 5, and then 5 craftable items which are account bound.

There isn't really any new content there with worth meaningful time investment. and then you announce the ps3 version and it gets people thinking "well thats why we have not gotten any new content, they are focused on ps3 now"

As a huge supporter of d3 through all the issues, i have to say it does hurt
02/25/2013 05:06 PMPosted by Lylirra
Diablo III to the PlayStation and creating an epic console experience.

Lyliriririra, how are they going to port the RMAH to the PS4?
02/28/2013 07:58 AMPosted by terrychelsea
Look at the 6 active skills cap, best fit ps3 controller L1 R1 + Square Cross Triangle Circle

You forgot there's an L2 and R2 button..
You forgot there's an L2 and R2 button

Potion and map
I believe Lylirra completely. Diablo was designed as a PC game first. I am sure there were design considerations made to be multi-platform but I see nothing that indicates that the console designers hired were hired for nothing more than a proof of concept initially. That doesn't mean Blizzard was officially considering making a console port at that point. Blizzard had to see if it was possible and even that good before moving forward with a full port. Blizzard would be absolutely crazy to commit to something without testing the waters first. I see nothing inconsistent or deceptive about this at all. In business, you typically want to proto-type something before even considering whether it is a good idea. You guys are absolutely reading what you want to see to justify your very low opinion of Blizzard. While I myself have been let down by Diablo 3 in certain areas, I think this hate is rubbish and reeks of paranoia.
So based upon what Lylirra says, instead of attributing the D3 design choices to console architecture needs, we're back to attributing the D3 design choices to bad decision-making.

Got it.
Getting into to this pointless debate with CM Lylirra will solve nothing. She threw the hammer down, if you don't want to look at the ground she pounded than so be it, just don't expect her to keep continually pounding that same beaten ground.

02/28/2013 08:57 AMPosted by tekkazerox
I believe Lylirra completely. Diablo was designed as a PC game first. I am sure there were design considerations made to be multi-platform but I see nothing that indicates that the console designers hired were hired for nothing more than a proof of concept initially. That doesn't mean Blizzard was officially considering making a console port at that point. Blizzard had to see if it was possible and even that good before moving forward with a full port. Blizzard would be absolutely crazy to commit to something without testing the waters first. I see nothing inconsistent or deceptive about this at all. In business, you typically want to proto-type something before even considering whether it is a good idea. You guys are absolutely reading what you want to see to justify your very low opinion of Blizzard. While I myself have been let down by Diablo 3 in certain areas, I think this hate is rubbish and reeks of paranoia.

^ Couldn't have said it better myself.
Lets say you are right!

Tell me what you have to say about these OFFICIAL , Jay wilson statements PRIOR to PC release.

====> Some players might not have access to a stable internet connection. What should a player do if, say, the internet wiring in his house is flawed?

“Erm… upgrade the wiring in his house?” suggests Wilson. “I mean, in this day and age the notion that there’s this a whole vast majority of players out there that don’t have online connectivity – this doesn’t really fly any more.

“An online experience is what we want to provide for this game. Every choice you make is going to omit some part of the audience. Some people don’t like fantasy games, so should we have not made Diablo a fantasy game, because some people don’t like that? Some people don’t like barbarians. Should we not have put a barbarian in the game because some people don’t like it?”

====>Wilson also told us some of the philosophical and practical reasons behind the decision not to include any sort of offline mode.

“There’s two basic problems with us doing that,” said Wilson. “One is players default immediately to that. So, they basically unintentionally opt out of all the cooperative experience, all the trading experience, and the core of Diablo is a circle-trading game. So for us we’ve always viewed it as an online game – the game’s not really being played right if it’s not online, so when we have that specific question of why are we allowing it? Because that’s the best experience, why would you want it any other way?”

====> Wilson admits that the decision will alienate some players, but also suggests that it’s impossible to please everyone.

“You’ve got to make choices about what you want to do, and sometimes those choices are going to make some people unhappy, but if you feel like it’s what is the right thing to do to making a better product then you have to do it,” he says.

====> From a practical angle, piracy was also a concern for Blizzard when they made the decision to make Diablo 3 require an internet connection.

“If we allow an Offline mode, it changes the structure of the data that we have to put on the user’s system. Essentially we would have to put our server architecture onto the client so that it can run its own personal server. Doing that essentially is one of the reasons why Diablo 2 was a much easier game to hack than obviously any other game you’d mention and so it’s what led to extensive cheating and item dupes and things like that.”

And after all these official statements you actually making a console port WITH OFFLINE mode.

So can you tell me what changed over all this philosophy over offline mode that you had prior to release? Because you cant deny all these things above since are official. Im eager for your explanation. Playstation will have offline suddenly? Isnt bad for game anymore?

---> INTERVIEW WAS ON PC GAMER , if you want to read it yourself.

---> http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/08/22/diablo-3-lead-designer-on-lack-of-offline-mode-the-game%E2%80%99s-not-really-being-played-right-if-it%E2%80%99s-not-online/

Im eager to hear from you fellow community managers. Thnx
Edited by Azatis#2345 on 2/28/2013 9:21 AM PST
So you're telling me going from being able to switch skills at will and not being punished for it while having only 2 skills active at any one time to left and right mouse + 4 more skills is in no way shape or form connected to let's say... left bumber, right bumber, cross, square, triangle and circle? Naw, it can't be, right? I mean... c'mon. Why did you scrap the 5th skill?

While playing LoD I could screw about with a lot of skills that weren't part of what I'd normally use, BECAUSE IT WAS FUN. Right now I can't. I'm limited to using the skills I MUST use to be able to do anything as opposed to the skills I WANT to use.

The most popular builds pretty much involve 2 buttons of not much excitement. Whirlwind Barbarian spams Sprint and Whirlwind, Monk spams Overawe and Fists, Wizard spams Wicked Wind and 3 buttons, which might I add are not fun at all...

Furthermore, what's this ridiculous emphasis on long game sessions? LoD was all about go in and get out, it rarely took more than 3 minutes to farm and it was fun. Now you get bull!@#$ affixes like Plague, Molten & Desecrator combos.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Diablo 3, I have about 300 some hours in it and it's fun, but you can't deny the fact that you changed it so it could launch on consoles later on. It was obvious to the point that a retard would figure it out. I'm sorry, but any amount of denying this isn't going to change anyone's opinion about this screw up. This game could have been so much more were it not intended to go on to consoles.

Edit: I scrolled up and saw someone quoting Jay Wilson on something and I want to make it clear to you.

Jay Wilson might've said a lot of things you can't agree with, but there's one undeniable truth: Diablo is a freaking ONLINE GAME. Most of you yapping about it are just sour about something entirely different and that's the reason you're trashing the online only thing. You probably heard AVGN or AngryJoe, TB and a !@#$ ton of other people say "Oh well, online only is bad and you should feel bad". News flash, these people suck when it comes to Diablo. They don't know jack %^-* about jack !@#$ about anything. Diablo was all about trading, all about cooperative play. How do you think otherwise if the game was single player you'd ever be able to make a %^-*ing Enigma? A HoTO? BotDs, CtAs, CoHs and a !@#$ ton more? How else do you think you'd be able to do ubers? How else do you think you'd be able to get a freaking Torch, or Skillers? The game would never have been anything like it was if it wasn't an online game. Diablo is at heart an online game, it always has been and it always will be. If LoD had no single player that wouldn't have hurt anyone one bit. So stop blowing %^-* out of your arses.
Edited by Nyne#2955 on 2/28/2013 9:27 AM PST
For me, situation is simple.

Business is business. Nowadays, what is most important is money, big markets, big revenues and domesticated customers.

It is really noticeable how Lylirra is the only CM facing the Community (thanks so much), but she will try always to keep the current status quo. Unless a big fish -no offense intended- enters this discussion, everything will be forced to simple "taking the bullet for the team".

Positivism? Criticism? Negativism? or pure and simple reality. Game developing companies are tied to revenue! Not to what they customers want! It is a simple fact and that is why our complains and even suggestions are taking as nothing.
Let's focus the criticisms here, though. It seems your primary concern is that Diablo III was designed and/or has evolved in a way you don't entirely agree with. You're attributing that to the fact we're porting the PC game to the PlayStation. Because a lot of features and systems in Diablo III seem to sync well with console play, you feel this is evidence that the PC game was purposely handicapped for the PlayStation, and is one of the main reasons why we chose not to implement certain design features from Diablo II (i.e. the type of gameplay you prefer).

It's not unreasonable to think that the order of operations for bringing Diablo III to console was a) decide to release Diablo III on console and then b) develop the PC game around that philosophy -- especially if thinking that helps validate your own concerns. In reality, though, the order was a) develop a great game for PC and then b) see if it makes sense to release that game on console

Well, I believe you guys can do what you want with the franchise. I dont really care if is available for every single gaming device there is. I do have a proble though if he PC version is not polished and actually finished.

Just don't forget about that :)
02/27/2013 11:59 PMPosted by Lylirra
In reality, though, the order was a) develop a great game for PC and then b) see if it makes sense to release that game on console.

Let me correct this for you here:

In reality, though, the order was a) develop a great game for PC and then b) make sure it's easily portable to the console.

If you expect us to believe that console porting was not originally considered when the game was being designed for the PC I feel offended for you thinking we're stupid enough to believe that.

Of course the interface will be a little different. We're not questioning that.

But as someone already mentioned there were telltale signs early on:

- game limited to 4 play coop only. Really? Not a design limitation because of the console port? 10 years ago D2 could support 8. I read a comment that said 4 only because of early server stability and testing issues. Well, it's 9 months past "early server stability" Can we have more than 4 players? No? Of course not. What's the excuse now?

A lot of the decisions you made about the game early on really start to make sense now. Most of the changes/updates to the game take forever to implement. Why? Because it takes a long time to implement those changes both on the pc version and the console version, then testing both, making sure it works well on the console and so forth.

I wouldn't be surprised if I found out you've had a playable console version probably since the PC version was released.

You guys are shady. What happened to Blizzard?
Lylirra, I'm not disrespecting. I'm asking or begging nicely. Is single player offline mode confirmed for PS3/PS4?
02/28/2013 07:58 AMPosted by terrychelsea
Look at the 6 active skills cap, best fit ps3 controller L1 R1 + Square Cross Triangle Circle

what about L2, R2, up, down, left, right(on the D-pad), R3, and L3...there's 8 more buttons available there. Shouldn't that mean we should have MORE skill slots if they were developing the PC game to fit for consoles too??
Edited by MrBojangles#1676 on 2/28/2013 9:53 AM PST
02/28/2013 09:47 AMPosted by MrBojangles

what about R1, R2, up, down, left, right(on the D-pad), R3, and L3...there's 8 more buttons available there. Shouldn't that mean we should have MORE skill slots if they were developing the PC game to fit for consoles too??

What? are you serious? The other buttons you need for the options menu, the achievements, the inventory, quests, map, skills menu, friends menu...

Why would they assign all buttons to skill slots? Stop trolling.
02/28/2013 09:53 AMPosted by Jan3Sobieski

what about R1, R2, up, down, left, right(on the D-pad), R3, and L3...there's 8 more buttons available there. Shouldn't that mean we should have MORE skill slots if they were developing the PC game to fit for consoles too??

What? are you serious? The other buttons you need for the options menu, the achievements, the inventory, quests, map, skills menu, friends menu...

Ummmm...because they've redesigned the UI. Your inventory, quests, and everything else are available in ONE menu section. Which when brought up...obviously would allow you to navigate the menus with the D-pad...simple.
02/28/2013 09:53 AMPosted by Jan3Sobieski

Do you understand how user interface design works? You can have one button that opens a menu, that has the option to pick 'quests, achievements, skills' etc.. I doubt that achievements needs it's own button like a skill would require. It wasn't trolling, it was an observation. Click one button, get presented with a list of options (aka menu)... it happens all the time on consoles.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]