Diablo® III

I don't get multi-platform negativity

02/28/2013 07:11 AMPosted by Seamanstains
Thank you Lylirra for clearing that up. I hope this ends this type of discussion.

She didnt clear up anything. Another blizz fanboi i see....

At the blizzcon in 2011, before D3 was released they had plans for the console version.

1.) Sorry Lylirra, but Jay Wilson is a liar and always conradicts himself. For example, at Blizzconn 2011 the D3 Q&A panel.
Go to 10:45 in the video when JW is asked if there are any console plans for D3. He replies, YES, we have hired people and have plans for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63yEdfuG-Z8

2.) Another question to him about consoles Go to 4:00 in the video. He asked if there are plans for console control for PC. JW refers to "As the console version contnues".. Suggesting that they ARE working on a console version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A1892-Y6wo

3.) The First Question. He is asked what challenges they faced with the Console Version.
He responds, "we haven't built it yet .gameplay feels smoother on the console version. "
Then Jason Regier at 1:44 says "On the console version that we're PLAYING around with" He is clearly saying here that they ARE in the development process for it!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baF-Kj2eKnA

Again, please remember this is 2011!!! FAR before the game was released for PC!!!
So please do not speak to the OP as if he is a complete moron, when you're research on the topic concluded to a "quote" by JW.

Hey Blue....Why does this quote contradict everything you said about there not being console version?

What? are you serious? The other buttons you need for the options menu, the achievements, the inventory, quests, map, skills menu, friends menu...

Why would they assign all buttons to skill slots? Stop trolling.

Do you understand how user interface design works? You can have one button that opens a menu, that has the option to pick 'quests, achievements, skills' etc.. I doubt that achievements needs it's own button like a skill would require. It wasn't trolling, it was an observation. Click one button, get presented with a list of options (aka menu)... it happens all the time on consoles.

So you're telling me that to throw a town portal, drink a potion or hold movement (shift key on PC) we'd have to open up a menu? yeah, that makes sense. (Not to mention camera position, zoom in on the character and throwing a flag)
Edited by Jan3Sobieski#1482 on 2/28/2013 11:19 AM PST
For me, situation is simple.

Business is business. Nowadays, what is most important is money, big markets, big revenues and domesticated customers.

It is really noticeable how Lylirra is the only CM facing the Community (thanks so much), but she will try always to keep the current status quo. Unless a big fish -no offense intended- enters this discussion, everything will be forced to simple "taking the bullet for the team".

Positivism? Criticism? Negativism? or pure and simple reality. Game developing companies are tied to revenue! Not to what they customers want! It is a simple fact and that is why our complains and even suggestions are taking as nothing.

I dont disagree but if they want to be like this they need to be HONEST about it ...

Not try to find millions of excuses or try hiding behind lies... Thats the difference.
Edited by Azatis#2345 on 2/28/2013 11:22 AM PST

No, the PC version of Diablo III was not designed for console from the beginning. It was developed for the PC with one major goal in mind: maximize profits by capitalizing on a previous successful genre and also by minimizing returns, hours developers work on improving the game, and hours community managers put into answering questions as well as taking in and delivering constructive feedback.

Fixed. The game lacks content. When I say content, I mean the summation of mediocre visuals, sounds, and horrendous dialogue. It has "I'm lazy and not trying" written all over it. Either that or someone at Blizzard who led these processes was easily impressed.
In reality, though, the order was a) develop a great game for PC and then b) see if it makes sense to release that game on console.

Let me correct this for you here:

In reality, though, the order was a) develop a great game for PC and then b) make sure it's easily portable to the console.

If you expect us to believe that console porting was not originally considered when the game was being designed for the PC I feel offended for you thinking we're stupid enough to believe that.

Of course the interface will be a little different. We're not questioning that.

But as someone already mentioned there were telltale signs early on:

- game limited to 4 play coop only. Really? Not a design limitation because of the console port? 10 years ago D2 could support 8. I read a comment that said 4 only because of early server stability and testing issues. Well, it's 9 months past "early server stability" Can we have more than 4 players? No? Of course not. What's the excuse now?

A lot of the decisions you made about the game early on really start to make sense now. Most of the changes/updates to the game take forever to implement. Why? Because it takes a long time to implement those changes both on the pc version and the console version, then testing both, making sure it works well on the console and so forth.

I wouldn't be surprised if I found out you've had a playable console version probably since the PC version was released.

You guys are shady. What happened to Blizzard?

+1

-> SUPER LINEAR MAPS

-> SUPER COLORFUL MAPS

-> SIMPLIFIED SKILL TREES

-> SIMPLIFIED SKILL ALLOCATION

-> NO STAT ALLOCATION

-> NO LADDER

-> NO PVP

-> HEALTH GLOBES

-> SIMPLIFIED ITEMIZATION

-> 4 PLAYERS CO-OP ONLY ( because obviously consoles wouldnt handle it )

-> 7+1 SKILLS TO USE IN GAME ( how many buttons a controller has? coincidence? )

So you want me to beleive all these changes and downgrades meant to be for a PC only game ?

ITS ENTIRELY DIFFERENT TO MAKE A PC GAME AND THEN TRY TO PORT IT TO CONSOLES AND ENTIRELY DIFFERENT THING TO MAKE A PC GAME WITH CONSOLES IN MIND SINCE ITS EARLY DEVELOPMENT ( keyword --> early development ( for dummies) )

About offline mode i think you need to read this and everything makes sense :

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/08/22/diablo-3-lead-designer-on-lack-of-offline-mode-the-game%E2%80%99s-not-really-being-played-right-if-it%E2%80%99s-not-online/

You running out of excuses here ... Someone should take lead ( as lead designer of the game ) and have an honest communication with Diablo 3 community ( something that Wilson never did , nor that he could after this mess he released )... and fast.
Edited by Azatis#2345 on 2/28/2013 11:35 AM PST
02/28/2013 11:26 AMPosted by FSM
Fixed. The game lacks content. When I say content, I mean the summation of mediocre visuals, sounds, and horrendous dialogue. It has "I'm lazy and not trying" written all over it. Either that or someone at Blizzard who led these processes was easily impressed.

"Look. Tyrael...your old lieutenant."
02/28/2013 11:31 AMPosted by Jake

"Look. Tyrael...your old lieutenant."

The boss dialogue is like listening to the bad guys from power rangers.
Don't forget about me now CM. I'm asking nicely here.
Its no coincidence that you have 4 skills that you can use at a time and that the PS3/4 // Xbox has 4 main buttons.

No matter how much propaganda BobbyKotick-Blizzard spews at you its the truth. This game was absolutely positively ruined by Bobby Kotick and activisions greedy money hungry battle plan.

Blizzard has forever ruined their reputation in my book after absolutely positively eviscerating my favorite video game franchise of all time for the sake of Greed. I've read interviews from Kotick, hes video game industry scum.. would rather people be miserable then put out a good product and Diablo III reflects his business model perfectly.

Its also no coincidence that the PC gaming is in a bit of a lull right now, so it makes perfect sense that they forced online only to the PC Version to increase revenue from PC Sales because PC sales will not be as strong as the console sales.
Edited by Skeeks#1791 on 2/28/2013 12:11 PM PST
You have to be an idiot to not see how the design are greatly affected with the plans to do a console version. The biggest aspect is the auto quick game instead of creating game with names, which screams CONSOLE all over it. And there are numerous others as people have pointed out.
Its no coincidence that you have 4 skills that you can use at a time and that the PS3/4 // Xbox has 4 main buttons.

No matter how much propaganda BobbyKotick-Blizzard spews at you its the truth. This game was absolutely positively ruined by Bobby Kotick and activisions greedy money hungry battle plan.

Blizzard has forever ruined their reputation in my book after absolutely positively eviscerating my favorite video game franchise of all time for the sake of Greed. I've read interviews from Kotick, hes video game industry scum.. would rather people be miserable then put out a good product and Diablo III reflects his business model perfectly.

Its also no coincidence that the PC gaming is in a bit of a lull right now, so it makes perfect sense that they forced online only to the PC Version to increase revenue from PC Sales because PC sales will not be as strong as the console sales.

I'm with you buddy. Have you tried PoE yet?
100 Night Elf Hunter
02/28/2013 07:11 AMPosted by Seamanstains
Thank you Lylirra for clearing that up. I hope this ends this type of discussion.

She didnt clear up anything. Another blizz fanboi i see....

At the blizzcon in 2011, before D3 was released they had plans for the console version.

1.) Sorry Lylirra, but Jay Wilson is a liar and always conradicts himself. For example, at Blizzconn 2011 the D3 Q&A panel.
Go to 10:45 in the video when JW is asked if there are any console plans for D3. He replies, YES, we have hired people and have plans for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63yEdfuG-Z8

2.) Another question to him about consoles Go to 4:00 in the video. He asked if there are plans for console control for PC. JW refers to "As the console version contnues".. Suggesting that they ARE working on a console version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A1892-Y6wo

3.) The First Question. He is asked what challenges they faced with the Console Version.
He responds, "we haven't built it yet .gameplay feels smoother on the console version. "
Then Jason Regier at 1:44 says "On the console version that we're PLAYING around with" He is clearly saying here that they ARE in the development process for it!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baF-Kj2eKnA

Again, please remember this is 2011!!! FAR before the game was released for PC!!!
So please do not speak to the OP as if he is a complete moron, when you're research on the topic concluded to a "quote" by JW.

Did you even go to the links Lylirra provided? Two of the articles are from 2008 and one is from 2010. Of course in 2011, they'd progressed from discussing it to actively designing a console version.

Jeeze Louise.
Hey Lylirra,

Thanks for this post. I wish there were more like it. Too many CM's and Dev's seem to answer in political-speak. They talk lots but say little and dance around the questions and don't face the issues that bother the players. I'd rather have a Dev tell me I'm an idiot and I'm wrong.. then explain why... than have the kind of non-answers we usually get. I'm thinking especially of the ask-the-dev's round 1.

If I could give one piece of advice to the CM's it would be: Stop being afraid of offending us!! Tell us what you really think. We'd appreciate it a lot more! :o)
100 Night Elf Hunter
Hey Lylirra,

Thanks for this post. I wish there were more like it. Too many CM's and Dev's seem to answer in political-speak. They talk lots but say little and dance around the questions and don't face the issues that bother the players. I'd rather have a Dev tell me I'm an idiot and I'm wrong.. then explain why... than have the kind of non-answers we usually get. I'm thinking especially of the ask-the-dev's round 1.

If I could give one piece of advice to the CM's it would be: Stop being afraid of offending us!! Tell us what you really think. We'd appreciate it a lot more! :o)

We had someone like that: Bashiok. And, unfortunately, we all know how that turned out.
02/25/2013 05:06 PMPosted by Lylirra
So you're telling us that at no time was the console taken into consideration during the development of the PC version?

During the development of the PC version, the job and goal of our design team was to create a fun product for the PC. After launch, it's been to support the game in the form of content updates, balancing, and bug fixes. That's their focus.

Beyond that, we actually have an independent team of designers, engineers, artists, and producers that are dedicated to adapting Diablo III to the PlayStation and creating an epic console experience. It's their job to take the PC game and translate it to the PS3, and in a way deal with all the considerations you're talking about. While our console team and PC team do collaborate (and have collaborated in the past), it's always to ensure that we’re staying true to D3 on the PlayStation platform.

While I appreciate the response from a blue, I can't help but notice something inconsistent here. You say that there is a PC team and a Console team, and you also say that Diablo 3 was designed entirely for the Pc, but you ALSO say that the console and PC team have worked together in the past. So which is it? How long has this 'console team' existed, and for how long has collaboration been taking place between the two teams?

If the 'console team' existed during the development of D3, (as I assume is the case given how many times Jay Wilson has mentioned the console version in interviews that date back to 2011) then how can you say that D3 was not designed to be easily portable to the console? It's like you're saying "the game was designed for PC, except it was also designed for consoles at the same time, but it being portable to the console has nothing to do with it being dumbed down for the pc". That's pretty contradictory.

Again, I'm sure many of us appreciate the blue response... But I am sure that many of us also do not appreciate being mislead, which seems to be the case with these blue posts on the subject. There is clear evidence that this game was supposed to be ported to consoles before it was ever finished (again, interviews from 2011 on the subject) that is easily available to the public, so why tell us something like this? It doesn't ring true.

Why can't you just tell us the truth? The whole truth, and not some half-truth that is contradicted by the game director's own words two years ago? I'm sorry if this comes across as hostile, but the blue statements on this subject don't seem to be accurate.
02/25/2013 04:17 PMPosted by Lylirra
No, the PC version of Diablo III was not designed for console from the beginning. It was developed for the PC with one major goal in mind: provide players with an awesome hack-and-slash computer game that's both fun and engaging.

bunch of bull!@#$
If the 'console team' existed during the development of D3, (as I assume is the case given how many times Jay Wilson has mentioned the console version in interviews that date back to 2011) then how can you say that D3 was not designed to be easily portable to the console? It's like you're saying "the game was designed for PC, except it was also designed for consoles at the same time, but it being portable to the console has nothing to do with it being dumbed down for the pc". That's pretty contradictory.

+1

Can a CM just give us a definite timeline when the console team was formed and when collaboration with PC team started? Unless we get an answer, we'll assume it started way before the game was released, which would prove our point.
Note that 'a great PC experience' is subjective. He didnt say 'the best diablo game we could make', or 'the best PC experience we could make'.

I just came to Diablo recently after having played a different game for the past 5 years. That game too suffered from being developed by people that had priorities other than making it the best game possible. It was a good game, just not the best it could be, and when youre a long time fan/supporter of a franchise, you tend to have high expectations.
Can a CM please confirm single player offline play for consoles please??
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]