Diablo® III

I don't get multi-platform negativity

Doesn't Skyrim also have console versions?

And whatever duping that happened in Wow (if it happened at all--it was never confirmed) was very, very short lived.

They didnt sacrifice the PC version for the console version. They also released the builder kit for skyrim. Making the PC version that much better.

It was developed for the PC with one major goal in mind: provide players with an awesome hack-and-slash computer game that's both fun and engaging.

Lol...fail!
Sigh... Why no blue post on my left question....
What I am not afraid of is the past and what decisions were made, etc. What I am afraid of is that Blizz wont change the PC version without updating the console version.

For instance, there are a lot of core game play systems in Diablo 3 that need major revamping. However these core features are being desinged right into consoles.

So what is going to happen for PC? Are any core issues going to be put on the back burner until the console release, then address these issue on both platforms?

Right now, my only complant with consoles is that it will hold up change in the PC version, not because they dont have different dev teams, but because the console version is working for a release... and any changes to PC would just delay console release. Case in point, they are adding BoA, Paragon, and MP, etc to consoles. Any more changes and they might delay the release.

So, is there a way to get everyone to take off their console-tinfoil hats? I think so. Blizz you should start to actively change core systems in the PC version. Leave the console version as it stands now, dont worry about updating the console with any changes to the PC until well after you get the console version released.

this will never happen. diablo 3 is how blizzard intended it to be, a crappy, shallow, lowest common denominator hack-and-slash that is delivered with zero grace or eloquence. they built diablo 3 to be a revenue stream and not to be the greatest game diablo 3 could be. it is a slap in the face to their loyal fans.
02/28/2013 02:01 PMPosted by Crunchyblack
D3 evolved from D2 and wasnt a copy paste which you would have complained about anyway....deal with it and move on please.

two things here...

1. if anything d3 devolved from d2. there are very few things that the current d3 does better than the current d2.

2. people would be right to complain about a rehashed d2. the game was released 12 years ago, there isn't anything they could do now to make it better?

if d3 is any sort of indicator, they can not.
Edited by Jake#1242 on 2/28/2013 9:11 PM PST

Doesn't Skyrim also have console versions?

And whatever duping that happened in Wow (if it happened at all--it was never confirmed) was very, very short lived.

They didnt sacrifice the PC version for the console version. They also released the builder kit for skyrim. Making the PC version that much better.

I feel like you must not have played it much. The number 1 complaint when skyrim was released was the menu interface. It was tailor made for use with a controller and very clunky on the PC. One of the first community fixes was cleaning it up.

Skyrim did sacrifice a lot if you look at its predecessor Morrowind, BUT.... BUT, and this is a big but. Bethesda does have an open door policy on mods and released their authorizing tools not too long after release in the creation kit. Which allowed the PC version to really shine.
02/22/2013 03:00 AMPosted by Oxygenetic
The decision to make versions for consoles meant that several aspects of the game had to be redesigned so that it can accommodate console gamers and as such, it resulted in the game being "dumbed down".

It really makes you wonder what Diablo 3 COULD have been, if they weren't planning on porting this game to consoles, doesn't it?

nope not at all, it would have been the same. what "COULD" of been was what it was before beta, there were alot of features in the alpha phase of the game that were taken out most likely to be saved for an expansion.

That's the coulda shoulda arguement, not what could have been just because it's going to consoles. I have no problem with it goin to ps3/ps4, it opens the game to a wider audience, heck I might even get it for one of those systems as well
When the conspiracy theorists post I typically just read it and move on, but there are a few things which stand out in this particular rant.

I personally do not believe the game was made for an easy port to consoles, based on lack of evidence to support the claim.

There are no proofs what-so-ever beyond speculation.

Controller thing is probably the biggest for me. Has anyone here played Sacred 2 for the ps3? If not, its a pretty fun game very similar to diablo series.

Anyway, with how the skill system works you have 4 main skill buttons to use right off the bat with the four buttons. With a simple press of the L1 and R1 (forget which) it brought up another diamond shape with 4 more skills to be used. You could say using R1 or what ever it was was similar to using shift on a keyboard (in some games) to bring up a secondary set of skills.

With the above mentioned, diablo 3 for the PC could have had more usable skills and still worked just fine on the console version using that method.

Lastly, being linear, not all Ps3 or console games are linear.

If a game on the console is not linear, how can one use the excuse anymore? Games do not have to be linear on the console.

If the control aspect can be made with more then just the 4 console buttons, that also falls flat.

Bottom line is we got a game that wasn't finished, had bad decisions in it, and is being improved now. I think that is more likely then the port conclusion.
Starcraft was ported to the N64, so clearly it was designed for the N64 from the ground up

Yep.
Even the UI and entire conrol setup lends itself very much to a controller layout, as do the amount of abilities.

Except that both the UI and control scheme are being redeveloped for PlayStation. (Not to mention that console games can support more than 6 input buttons, if that's what a particular design calls for.)

Let's focus the criticisms here, though. It seems your primary concern is that Diablo III was designed and/or has evolved in a way you don't entirely agree with. You're attributing that to the fact we're porting the PC game to the PlayStation. Because a lot of features and systems in Diablo III seem to sync well with console play, you feel this is evidence that the PC game was purposely handicapped for the PlayStation, and is one of the main reasons why we chose not to implement certain design features from Diablo II (i.e. the type of gameplay you prefer).

It's not unreasonable to think that the order of operations for bringing Diablo III to console was a) decide to release Diablo III on console and then b) develop the PC game around that philosophy -- especially if thinking that helps validate your own concerns. In reality, though, the order was a) develop a great game for PC and then b) see if it makes sense to release that game on console.

We've always thought that, out of all our games, the Diablo franchise would translate best to the console platform (heck, even the first Diablo was ported to PlayStation). The gameplay and controls are very straightforward, which lends itself better to consoles than other titles we've released. This is something we've said for many years now.

[...]

Ultimately, Diablo III was a game designed for the PC. It has since been released for PC, and we've made several improvements to the PC game since launch. We plan to continue that support (see [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7004016367?page=14#274"]here[/url] and [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7593582072?page=2#35"]here[/url] as examples). From there, we've been working to port the game to the PlayStation, because we feel it would play really well on that platform.

The part I think a lot of players are getting caught up on is that there's a big difference between believing that a PC game can work well on console after some adjustments, and designing a PC game specifically for console. Diablo III is an example of the former. This means that your concerns are with our approach towards designing a PC game in general, and not the fact that the game makes a good candidate for a console port.

Great, first ever bluepost and I managed to !@#$ up "control". Now it's all over the internet. People are gonna toss that at me when our game releases and they notice it's me *facepalms* Couldn't you have taken A DIFFERENT PART OF MY POST?! *shakes his fist angrily*

First of all I'd like to point out that just 3 posts below yours, we have sources from youtube that clearly state that a console version was developed. So while I find it entertaining to discuss the topic, there is clear public statements that a console version was developed and as such also very much influenced the decision, making your entire attempt to try and twist it like I just talk based on my personal preference a bit pointless. But I will forgive you for that and entertain this discussion a little bit for the sake of the experience.

I do not say Diablo 3 wasn't designed with a first PC release in mind. I am simply stating that you could port it very quickly and very effectively to a console (appearently happened going by Jay) and that it very much surprised me this didn't happen right away with how easily it could be adapted by a team of your size. After all I am very much aware of the amount of work required to do this ;)

And I am pretty sure people around the office over in Irvine thought about this when developing D3 (they did, as Jay stated). One doesn't plan to make a game without thinking about the other big markets <insert meme>. And this influence you can find in a lot of modern titles, even if they release a bit later for a different platform. You will still find that it unconciously is being influenced by it and when somebody plays it, they can see this influence. You just kinda make sure that you don't have to rework the entire product to fit a different control setup (in this case it probably wasn't just unconcious, this was probably on purpose to ease the port).

So that is why I was stating that clearly Diablo 3 was developed with a console in mind (not developed for consoles only and adjusted for the PC). If I personally have a taste for the design itself behind Diablo 3 is a entirely different thing that I will comment on just a bit below. And it doesn't go just for Diablo 3. As you said, even older Diablo games were and could've easily been ported over.

So because you felt the need to bring up the topic of me disagreeing how you design games for the PC, I'd like to address it. I am not very happy about Diablo 3. I was bullied into buying Diablo 3 by peer pressure. I personally decided during the beta that Diablo 3 was not a game that could compete with the quality of the older Blizzard titles (and I think a lot of the feedback you received is in line with this assessment on my end).

This was even more evident when I finally played it. I haven't had Diablo 3 installed in months, so I am not sure if you adjusted this yet, but I found quite a few assets that you simply took from your other products within Diablo 3. From the top of my head there is SC2 zerg creep webbings and textures, but also quite a few WoW assets (and even models on the demon huntress companions are from WoW ... Boar anyone?). That doesn't leave a good impression with me, even if I can consent to recycling assets. Just maybe not such obvious ones.

The gameplay itself for Diablo 3 wasn't bad per se. I enjoy talent trees a lot more than I do enjoy the new kind of skill and talent distribution now found in both Diablo 3 and WoW, as well as games from other companies. But for Diablo 3 it still felt somewhat okay, especially due to the runes. A lot of the skills were fun to use. Sadly with how badly the balance testing was for higher difficulty modes and how meh the drops were (ultimately leading to me spending more time in the AH than inside the game) it turned out that a lot of skills were not viable to use. Barbarians tended to build themselves around that one secure build that allowed one to advance without danger of constant death by BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEs when I last played.

The writing of Diablo 3 was pretty terrible. We can all agree on that. Hey look, I am the big bad Azmodan, let me tell you EVERYTHING ABOUT MY PLAN - especially after you managed to already thwart half his plans. Even if you consider that he might be arrogant, any "demon master tactican" would be careful after his brothers got done in. This is just lazy writing to make the player go somewhere and do stuff. There is more like this in the entire storyline, but that one is the big evident one everyone could see.

The worst part though was the sad excuse for always online DRM. I mean, nobody really believed the statements given for the why anways and it's clear this was an attempt to a) "combat" piracy, b) get people to use the RMAH and c) get rid of hacking (which appearently still exists going by forum threads - but it was at least a decent reason). And now for consoles - a market where Blizzard has not nearly as many loyal fans - can suddenly have offline mode (a thing asked for many times during beta and denied)? I mean if that doesn't make people angry, I do not know what does. Also Error 37 ruined my entire first week.

Funny enough this entire thing reminds me very much of the latest blogpost by Buzzkill over on Manaflask. You should read it some time, it's quite a interesting thing, even if the guy is unlikeable. For myself I will keep an eye on the console version as well as it's sales figures out of personal interest. I just kinda of want to know for one how much work really went into this compared to what was stated and on the other how many people will actually buy Diablo 3 after the PC had a very bad start.

Also, you now owe me a cupcake. Make that TWO cupcakes.
Edited by Xaragoth#1259 on 3/2/2013 10:48 AM PST
90 Undead Death Knight
Would love to have the controller option on PC asap

So much easier to play this type of game on a controller. Keyboard/mouse is like a carpal tunnel wishlist.

I have no idea why they wouldn't add in a controller option to the PC version. Annoying as hell.
90 Draenei Hunter
02/22/2013 08:05 AMPosted by whoopadeedoo
Imagine if SC Broodwars was dumbed down to SC64 level

Yet BW was on N64, and was the same thing minus battle.net.
eh,
skipped most of it because TLDR...

but I was exposed to the Diablo universe on the console (Diablo 1 PS1) Since then I've transitioned to solely PC as my gaming console of choice.

So I think it's fantastic they are developing it for muti platforms. Would prefer to be able to play along with the PS owners though.
Would love to have the controller option on PC asap

So much easier to play this type of game on a controller. Keyboard/mouse is like a carpal tunnel wishlist.

I have no idea why they wouldn't add in a controller option to the PC version. Annoying as hell.

Yeah, and also the local co-op option, there are computer games that have local multiplayer, so it's not a bad idea. It will be great for people who can't buy several licences/computers, in my country, for example, the games and the hardware to run well latest games are expensive :(
I just don't like the fact that their itemization is being fixed before ours.

I feel like you must not have played it much. The number 1 complaint when skyrim was released was the menu interface. It was tailor made for use with a controller and very clunky on the PC. One of the first community fixes was cleaning it up.

Skyrim did sacrifice a lot if you look at its predecessor Morrowind, BUT.... BUT, and this is a big but. Bethesda does have an open door policy on mods and released their authorizing tools not too long after release in the creation kit. Which allowed the PC version to really shine.

Actually I think they just released it with all the its flaws because they knew the community guru's would fix it for them.
Edited by Remnance#1696 on 3/29/2013 10:48 PM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]