Diablo® III

I don't get multi-platform negativity

I believe we think of console players negatively because they think the same thing to us.
Or atleast most people do. And trust me i've asked hundreds of people and alot of the feedback is negative if they are console players. They say we are cheap, and we have no skill but in reality, the whole reason why we don't have cross-platform (the only one that I can think about is FFXI because I played it for years.) Is because PC players would constantly dominate console players in every game there is. Why do you think we don't have CS in cross-platform? Why do you think they didn't want CS:GO to be cross-platform anymore either?(I have many other examples, but i'll simplify it and just say every single fps game known to man) Because we DOMINATE the consoles. So in the end I think it the relationship is mostly mutual.. WE all mostly hate each other I guess! And i'm alright with it because if the time ever comes, and we get the chance I will splatter the console players blood all over the walls with a headshot, my axe, my sword, my crossbow, my wand, and my spells.
The problem is they HAVE been getting their way with D3 since launch, but once you give the begger a coin, what does he do? He asks for more.

Although, I don't totally disagree with you about educated people and internet and what they deserve what they want and stuff. I would rather describe the situation as, if it's really have to be the beggar's way, it's more like everyone gave the "beggar" 60 bucks for his effort to beg with a nice sign saying "I will get a job!" but then the "beggar" never attempts to bother getting the job while he went to a different "district" and start begging all over again with the same begger's bowl...

the bowl that doesn't even have any depth, either.
come on guys, it doesn't matter if diablo3 got ported to ps3/ps4 i just a game, think this, if they allow bnet on ps3/ps4 more people will play d3 more games available and stuff.

about "complexity" or the lack of it on console games, have u ever play Metal gear solid saga on console? or play Final Fantasy saga? those games have so much "complexity" than a facebook game that is designed for pc
I think in general people in this age are very concerned that there is a conspiricy threatening their experiences in life, with anything, not just diablo 3. We are in a paranoid delusional time full of internet educated people who feel they deserve what they desire, and if it cant be the way they want it, the only way they know how to deal with that is to whine and moan in hopes that they will get their way.

The problem is they HAVE been getting their way with D3 since launch, but once you give the begger a coin, what does he do? He asks for more.

They will always find something new to blame their dislike of D3 on. As if it were suppose to be the best game of all time that can somehow please every little whinebag in this forum.

Diablo has always been quite a simple game. Kill lots of demons. Get new loot. Very random loot. kill your freinds. Thats pretty much the basis of this game and it most defenately exists in its latest iteration of Diablo 3.

Since when did giving a begger $ .25 solve their problems? This makes zero sense.
02/22/2013 12:37 PMPosted by Kaelthalas21
come on guys, it doesn't matter if diablo3 got ported to ps3/ps4 i just a game

There are a lot of games that suck. And that's not a subjective statement about some of them, it's believed unanimously about that title. Would defend that game as "it's just a game"? That line is nothing more than the political double-speak used to avoid real issues.
WE all mostly hate each other I guess! And i'm alright with it because if the time ever comes, and we get the chance I will splatter the console players blood all over the walls with a headshot, my axe, my sword, my crossbow, my wand, and my spells.

Gosh I've enjoyed PC games (Diablo series, C&C series, SIM games, RC Tycoons) and Console games (Zelda series, Final Fantasy series, Metroid games, Pikmin, et al.)... so this us/them mentality is a bit weird to me. I feel like I'm supposed to have some kind of inner conflict!

Though I like both cats AND dogs too.
Edited by Fuzzbear#1929 on 2/22/2013 12:55 PM PST
It's crazy to me that I can log in to the forums and read posts about how bad Diablo 3 is, how they ruined the game and it was a waste of their money. Yet I view their profile and they have 4 level 60s and have put in over 500 hours of gameplay. The game is far from perfect but it is a good game and they are trying to make it better. I just don’t understand if the game is so bad how you put so much time into it. If you don’t like the PS3 port don’t buy it. I think it’s awesome that they are going to give people who don’t have PC a chance to play a game they may want. I doubt it will have a big effect on the gameplay for PC users.
02/22/2013 11:31 AMPosted by Zaxxon23
They are right about one thing. Diablo 3 was "dumbed down". Not for the console crowd, but for the Blizzard crowd. Take a long look at WoW. Diablo 3 is much closer to WoW than it is to Diablo 2.

So you agree that the game was dumbed down, but feel that it is absurd consoles could play a part in this or possibly be a defining factor? That doesn't make much sense. I agree that wow gamers tend to be entitled kids, and accept that they as well could have played a role in dumbing down the series.

I suspect the answer lies somewhere in between or covers the whole darn thing. Maybe the game was dumbed down for BOTH the wow kids and console.

Either way no matter which way you look at it, D3 doesn't appear to have been made for Diablo fans.

I don't think that there's any question that the game was simplified. I also agree that Diablo 3 doesn't connect with its predecessors.

However, when people blame consoles (and console gamers) or even suggest that Diablo 3's PC release was just a primer for the console release, it becomes absurd. The latter is obviously much more absurd, but the former assumes the position that consoles are for dumb, simple people. This may come as a surprise to some people, but there are a number of nuanced and deep games on consoles. There are also very simple games that are on PC's.

The reason that people are targeting consoles in this whole discussion is because they're a popular target. They've completely lost sight of WoW's obvious influence over the design of the game.

So, yes, I do think that Diablo 3 being "dumbed-down" and being ported to the Playstation 4 are two separate things. Diablo 3's failures may be a Blizzard thing, or a generational thing (gaming has changed), but too many people have clutched at the console thing being the "obvious" explanation.
02/22/2013 03:15 AMPosted by tbagala
So...funny guys. No actual answer yet. Just useless meanderings.

Multi-platforming is bad for 1 reason.
PC players will ALWAYS dominate the console players.
ALWAYS.
The precision of the mouse/keyboard cannot be touch by that of any controller on the market.
Even Microsoft stated this as to why some of their games weer being refrained from multi-platform support.
Also there is the issue of frame rate, while my personal computer can handle a rock solid 60fps on pretty much all games, consoles cannot, to be able to compensate for that, the frame rate for online activity would be synced at about 30fps.
Personally, idc, let em play with us, we'll just crush em in whatever genre they bring our way.

That is so not even true. Depends on the game for one thing. I can agree with you on FPS games and RTS for sure. However tell me how well mouse and keyboard does you on Street Fighter 4. Its on PC and I will put my next paycheck that a PC gamer using a keyboard will get his butt stomped by somebody using a joystick or gamepad.

I don't think that there's any question that the game was simplified. I also agree that Diablo 3 doesn't connect with its predecessors.

However, when people blame consoles (and console gamers) or even suggest that Diablo 3's PC release was just a primer for the console release, it becomes absurd. The latter is obviously much more absurd, but the former assumes the position that consoles are for dumb, simple people. This may come as a surprise to some people, but there are a number of nuanced and deep games on consoles. There are also very simple games that are on PC's.

The reason that people are targeting consoles in this whole discussion is because they're a popular target. They've completely lost sight of WoW's obvious influence over the design of the game.

So, yes, I do think that Diablo 3 being "dumbed-down" and being ported to the Playstation 4 are two separate things. Diablo 3's failures may be a Blizzard thing, or a generational thing (gaming has changed), but too many people have clutched at the console thing being the "obvious" explanation.

It's not that console gamers are dumb or simple (although they are a younger demographics). It's that console games are limited by their UI. Consoles are better suited for shallow gameplay. You can not design a game like Starcraft for console not because of hardware requirements but because of consoles' interface limitations. And a lot of people are upset that D3 was developed with the console's limitations in mind.

BTW, if you followed D3's development, you'll realize just how dumbed down it is not only from its D2 LOD but from its original concept. We don't know for sure if consoles porting played a role in this decision, but all the coincidences sure smells fishy.

Load up D2. Tell me what about that cannot be put on a console.
View profile
Anyone who has ever played the PC version of Borderlands 2 knows how a game designed for consoles plays on a PC. It's a vastly different experience. Try it for yourself and then judge. Surely they have a demo out by now (I wouldn't recommend anyone actually waste money on it).
It's not that console gamers are dumb or simple (although they are a younger demographics). It's that console games are limited by their UI. Consoles are better suited for shallow gameplay. You can not design a game like Starcraft for console not because of hardware requirements but because of consoles' interface limitations. And a lot of people are upset that D3 was developed with the console's limitations in mind.

BTW, if you followed D3's development, you'll realize just how dumbed down it is not only from its D2 LOD but from its original concept. We don't know for sure if consoles porting played a role in this decision, but all the coincidences sure smells fishy.

Consoles have both simple and deep games. Yes, they do have a different interface. But just because something like Starcraft doesn't work as well on a console doesn't change the fact that consoles have a extensive library of great games.

And you pretty much made my point for me: people don't actually know if consoles played a role in this at all. They're just upset and suspicious and want to blame *something* for what happened to Diablo 3. They should try looking at Blizzard. And they should also try to wrap their mind around the fact that gaming has changed dramatically in the last 10-15 years.
I didn't say there aren't great console games. I trust most people here own and play consoles. But you have to recognize the limitations of a console's UI.

And as much as I enjoy console gaming, you will never create a game as complex or deep on a console as you can on a PC (e.g. Starcraft). Again, the UI gets in the way.

I'll have to agree to disagree. I've always taken the position that consoles are better for some kinds of games, while computers are better for others. I also can't get behind the notion that somehow Starcraft is the pinnacle of depth and complexity in gaming. It probably doesn't help that we're talking about wildly ambiguous terms.

Back to the actual topic here: the negativity comes from the community here wanting someone to blame for Diablo 3. The anti-console argument very loosely fits the facts, and it's easier to think about than Blizzard trending downward or gaming having fundamentally changed.
View profile
02/22/2013 01:37 PMPosted by Zaxxon23
I've always taken the position that consoles are better for some kinds of games, while computers are better for others.

I agree. I would never want to play Madden on a PC. Just like I don't have interest in playing Diablo on console.

I could see playing Madden at a VERY intense level with a keyboard and mouse...

I imagine having a level of instant control over the entire team that could not be matched on a console.

Either way more players playing Diablo can only be a good thing (more players = more money = more content = fun game for years to come).
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]