Diablo® III

I don't get multi-platform negativity

25 Blood Elf Priest
Sir, I think the salient point missed its mark with you. People blame the console for limiting D3 to six or seven buttons. They blame Blizzard for designing D3 to easily port over to a console.

And why wouldn't they put a box around the design to say "This is going to be a hit. Don't make this impossible to port to another platform."

People seem to want to believe that companies like Blizzard will say "Well, console games don't matter much. Let's be sure and attempt to please our forum kids and a PC gaming market that's shrinking."

I would never imagine that. The continuous bleating where people seem to think that Blizzard was some small-time indy game designer with 30 employees and now feel betrayed because--surprise!!!--they aren't is divorced entirely from reality.

Look for clues about Android upcoming. If not now, eventually.
25 Blood Elf Priest
02/22/2013 04:19 PMPosted by MEc
on the other hand, what pc gamers are left with is an inferior pc game that was originally designed with multiple platforms in mind.

Whether or not the game is inferior because of this is unknowable. Actually whether or not the game is inferior is subjective in any case. Being the noisiest does not make things true or factual.
There's a lot of power in a name. I wonder when they are going to rename Diablo 3 to Dumbedownbola 3.
cross compatible multiplayer would be great! just them slacking giving you the updates they promised because they're trying to port it to a console isn't so great.
25 Blood Elf Priest
Diablo fans expected Diablo 3 to play like a Diablo game. It's a crazy unreasonable expectation, but such is life.

Expecting a game in 2012 to be a lot like a game that's 12 years old is pretty crazy and unreasonable. Really have to agree with that.
02/22/2013 04:28 PMPosted by Moanshadow
on the other hand, what pc gamers are left with is an inferior pc game that was originally designed with multiple platforms in mind.

Whether or not the game is inferior because of this is unknowable. Actually whether or not the game is inferior is subjective in any case. Being the noisiest does not make things true or factual.

the point of my argument is that no matter what, the industry/gaming companies can do what ever the F they want (id est dumb down pc games to fit a console format before release during the development stages), regardless of whether or not gamers believe the quality of the game was actually affected.

just the fact that companies can get away with it is a cause for concern for pc gamers.
Sir, I think the salient point missed its mark with you. People blame the console for limiting D3 to six or seven buttons. They blame Blizzard for designing D3 to easily port over to a console

No I didn't. In fact, thanks for reiterating my statement. Considering that you already use limited number of buttons/keys while playing on PC (similar to what you use on the console) how is the mere fact that the game becomes cross-platform "dumbing it down"?

P.S. How is your quitting going? ;)
Diablo 1 - Fabulous game
Starcraft - Can't comment personally as I never played but people said it was a fabulous game

Diablo 3, not fabulous a game. So if the game sucks and needs a ton of work, why are they porting it over to console before it's fixed?
Most hack n slash games only use a few keys so arguing that it was 'dumbed down' for console is a little ridiculous.

It some ways you could try to argue that point (like graphics, I guess ha?), regardless I doubt porting the game to another platform really hurt D3 in an measurable way. Much better arguments are to be had as to why you could not like this game, porting should not be one of them.
Starcraft was available on N64.
Diablo was available on PS1.

Both were shadows of their PC selves.

While we are at a point now where consoles have actually caught up with, and in some situations, surpassed, the average gaming PC, D3 is still optimized for keyboard + mouse and any console, controller based version will still be alienating to anyone who has played the PC version. It's also under-powered to the point where much older rigs can run it at 100%.

That's not my main point, however.

Multi-platform releases are as old as video gaming. Whenever multiple game systems existed, multiple computer platforms existed, or even earlier, when either one of those existed alongside an arcade game, we've seen a multi-platform release of games.

Even when multiple platforms cross-communicated, such as Final Fantasy XI, none of the releases impeded any of the others.

What I want is a LEGITIMATE and WELL-THOUGH-OUT reason for why ANYONE thinks the PS announcement has ANY EFFECT WHATSOEVER on the PC D3.

Here is your legitimate and well-thought reason:

Labor and resources spent more on consoles mean --> Labor and resources spent less on the current version of the game.

Here is a solid example: Labor and resources are spent on improving PS3 version instead of our PC-MAC version:

What we need: Relocating the Nephelem Valor and Shrine buffs elsewhere on the screen so that people can see 5 of their active buffs at the same time

What they do: Working on creating a user interface of PS3 version.
Edited by OZH#1799 on 2/22/2013 5:41 PM PST
25 Blood Elf Priest
Quitting is splendid. It's liberating, and I'm not joking.

Apart from dozens of daily posts about it on forums, I take it you haven't looked back either.
25 Blood Elf Priest
What we need: Relocating the Nephelem Valor and Shrine buffs elsewhere on the screen so that people can see 5 of their active buffs at the same time

You imagine that these are one and the same people without knowing this I take it. The concept of establishing separate development teams for differing platforms for major titles escapes you?
You're still misunderstanding. People are mad because the reason why there is a limited number of buttons and features to port is because they feel that D3 was designed with console in mind The devs gimped D3 so it would port over to PS4 easily. If it wasn't for console, then we would have a more PC experience, not this console-for-PC game we're playing. IOW, they dumbed down D3 so that it could port over to PS4. PCers got the compromised experience instead of the console players.

Sure. Keep telling yourself that.

You imagine that these are one and the same people without knowing this I take it. The concept of establishing separate development teams for differing platforms for major titles escapes you?

No it does not escape me.

1 worker can paint a wall in 10hr.

2 workers can paint a wall in 5hr.

And so on.

So instead of hiring more UI developers or putting priority to PC version, now they have UI developers puttin priority to PS3.

It doesn't matter they are 2 teams or same team. Given a certain budget, how many things people work on will directly influence the speed of accomplishment.
25 Blood Elf Priest

And so on.

I hate to contradict you but software development actually doesn't work that way. At all.

And so on.

I hate to contradict you but software development actually doesn't work that way. At all.

+1.
I really don't see the problem here i use a controller to play the pc version anyways at least for hot keys yea i use a mouse to but it would be awesome to use ps3 controller. My only concern is using my current account on ps3 network... I don't think I'm gonna be able to so i will just stick with pc if that's the case. But giving ps3 people a chance to play a great game, i do believe this is a good game minus what all you haters say, is a great idea

Oh by the way this game isn't dumb down for console. The reason why we don't have 12 hot keys like d2 is because there are no more mana potions or scrolls. So theres no need for extra slots.
Edited by LordKoopa#1186 on 2/24/2013 3:38 PM PST
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]