Diablo® III

I don't get multi-platform negativity

graphics.. made more colorful and accessible with strong visual indicators, swipes etc as to what is going on which makes MUCH easier to follow on a TV screen while sitting on the couch.
blurred, low res textures and low visual fidelity is not an issue when on TV screen but helps with the consoles lack of memory .

Or maybe the graphics have been optimized so the game can run on low end computers? Ever thought about that? FYI, Playstation 4 will have a R10xx class gpu and 8gb GDDR5, which means its far more powerful than almost every laptop out there and a good chunk of desktop PCs as well. Most GDDR5 equipped video cards have 1 or 2 GB VRAM.

So the decision to make it 4 players max was a design decision based on testing and the fact that consoles have a 4 player limit is a bloody coincidence?

PS3 supports up to 7 controllers and limiting 4 players to local coop is an obvious technical limitation. But online multiplayer has no such technical limitation so take off your tinfoil hat, the reason why we are limited to 4 player parties is because anything more than that it gets too difficult to see. POE allows 6 player parties and people complain in their forums that parties should be limited to 4 players at the most.
These arguments were all made long ago... the people doing it now are late to the party and just love to keep the whine train rolling with this weeks new proverbial sand in their you-know-whats... It's been 9 nine months after release that they are just now officially announcing that they are going ahead with this, and the ui looks completely different and dumbed down. How are people still deluded enough to think this game was always being made for consoles?
02/22/2013 07:09 PMPosted by Scorch
How are people still deluded enough to think this game was always being made for consoles?

Because it is easier to complain rather than make a valid point. It is easier to see glass half empty rather than half full.

Heck... back to Arreat Crater... :)
The most evident part of the game that reflects the issue is the 6 button skill bar. D2 used to have 12 if im not mistaken. They only have six to accomodate the console's controller.
02/22/2013 02:50 AMPosted by Japhasca
a LEGITIMATE and WELL-THOUGH-OUT reason

Boy, are YOU in the wrong place.

These forums are inhabited by a legion of whiners. They don't need reasons to complain.
The reason was the AH. duuh
Anyone with the least bit of common sense can see that Diablo 3 was extremely streamlined and simplified on ever level. It doesn't take a genius to see why. They wanted it to translate easier to the console world. The game's quality clearly suffered.
My biggest concern about the move to consoles is this ,

We seen this with the game The Elder scrolls V : Skyrim .... Its an amazing game but they seemed to had massively dumb'ed it down because the PC release would of been ten fold a better game than the console releases , What saved it was they made a point to open it up to the community and allowed us the fans to mod the PC version and mold it into a beautiful stunning game , what it should of been had it not been released on consoles .

Now it would be a cold day in hell the day Blizzard would let us do that to D3 , so now i see why D3 was so dumb'ed down to begin with because this was planned from the start , the only thing missing is what Bethesda allowed us to do and thats to continue building the game into something amazing

BUT on the other side of things ... it is the next gen of consoles they are powerful and will run these games now some what on par with there PC counterparts so .... maybe everyones fears are really unwarranted ? and misplaced ??
It really makes you wonder what Diablo 3 COULD have been, if they weren't planning on porting this game to consoles, doesn't it?

It's not a port.
02/22/2013 06:24 PMPosted by Monsta
Ever thought about that? FYI, Playstation 4 will have a R10xx class gpu and 8gb GDDR5, which means its far more powerful than almost every laptop out there and a good chunk of desktop PCs as well

its been a ps3 port longer than its been a ps4 port... its being made for both... and when designing for ps3 need to take into account its limited memory and processing grunt .
02/22/2013 08:04 PMPosted by whoopadeedoo

Sure. Keep telling yourself that.

I'm just trying to explain why people are upset about the console announcement. I don't think this theory is fact, but it does seem plausible at least; If you're a reasonable person, you can't summarily dismiss it (nor state it as fact either). All I know with certainly is D3 is a incomplete and dumbed-down game whatever the reason is (console, bad devs, WoW, polar bears, whatever).

It's plausibility only goes so far as the facts very loosely fitting the premise. It's just sophistry, not really a compelling argument. I'll give you credit for only thinking that it's merely plausible.

I think that, in some ways, Dragon Age serves as an interesting example. Dragon Age: Origins was a much adored RPG. About a year or so later, Dragon Age 2 comes out. Needless to say, a *lot* of people hated it. They complained, a lot, about how consoles had "dumbed-down" the game. Here's the problem - Dragon Age: Origins was also a multi-platform game. Did Dragon Age 2 have console-friendly features that may have affected its quality? Sure. But there was a lot more wrong with that game that went well beyond the whole "console issue".

The same goes for Diablo 3. Is the argument that the whole PC release being a big beta test for consoles plausible? Sure. It's also extraordinarily misleading. The issues facing the game are bigger than the idea that it's been "dumbed-down" for consoles. People making that argument are zoomed in so intently that they are completely disregarding the big picture.
Again, Blizzard is talking about a CONSOLE VERSION of D3. Specifically, that there PlayStation4 will get the "Core Game".

Now, like everyone else I have no real insight as to what Blizzard means by "Core Game", but I can make a few guesses.

First of all, keep in mind that Console Gamers suffer from a serious case of ADD... That's not meant as an insult, just pointing out that just about the entire Console market is going to bail out of whatever game they're currently playing as soon as the new Halo / Call of Duty / FIFA Worldcup / or whatever the "newest and greatest" happens to be this week. This being the case, there's no real reason to institute things like Paragon Levels in the Console game because, frankly, they're not going to be playing that long.

I really don't see Blizzard putting much effort into the Console version considering that most Console Players will probably be renting the game anyway... Or waiting a couple of months until it gets tossed into the "Bargain Bin" and getting it for $20. Blizzard can try to make the Console versions "non-transferrable" like the PC version, but frankly most console players have gotten into the habit of avoiding games they can't rent first to judge whether they're worth the money.

So in all likelihood, the "Core Game" released for Consoles is going to be stripped down quite a bit. The Auction House is probably the first casuality followed closely by Paragon Levels. Console players simply aren't going to put the time in to take advantage of those sorts of things, so why bother wasting time and money putting them in?
Again, Blizzard is talking about a CONSOLE VERSION of D3. Specifically, that there PlayStation4 will get the "Core Game".

Now, like everyone else I have no real insight as to what Blizzard means by "Core Game", but I can make a few guesses.

First of all, keep in mind that Console Gamers suffer from a serious case of ADD... That's not meant as an insult, just pointing out that just about the entire Console market is going to bail out of whatever game they're currently playing as soon as the new Halo / Call of Duty / FIFA Worldcup / or whatever the "newest and greatest" happens to be this week. This being the case, there's no real reason to institute things like Paragon Levels in the Console game because, frankly, they're not going to be playing that long.

I really don't see Blizzard putting much effort into the Console version considering that most Console Players will probably be renting the game anyway... Or waiting a couple of months until it gets tossed into the "Bargain Bin" and getting it for $20. Blizzard can try to make the Console versions "non-transferrable" like the PC version, but frankly most console players have gotten into the habit of avoiding games they can't rent first to judge whether they're worth the money.

So in all likelihood, the "Core Game" released for Consoles is going to be stripped down quite a bit. The Auction House is probably the first casuality followed closely by Paragon Levels. Console players simply aren't going to put the time in to take advantage of those sorts of things, so why bother wasting time and money putting them in?

First of all, how is that bolded part (emphasis mine) not an insult?

Second of all...
Diablo III for the PS3™/PS4™ will be based on the core PC game and feature all the latest updates, including Paragon levels, the Infernal Machine event, Monster Power, Brawling, and more. This version is also being tailored with customized controls, a new user interface, and a dynamic camera perspective to provide an awesome Diablo III experience for PlayStation gamers.
02/22/2013 10:24 PMPosted by Petyr
First of all, how is that bolded part (emphasis mine) not an insult?

It's more of a description of the mindset, not some kind of medical issue.

The point that was being made is that console gamers (in general) will flock to the new release and drop their current game (this is the ADD part, short attention span when something new and shiny shows up).

Not the greatest analogy, but I understand what was meant.
Edited by Matticles#1220 on 2/22/2013 10:40 PM PST
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]