Diablo® III

I don't get multi-platform negativity

02/22/2013 10:38 PMPosted by Matticles
First of all, how is that bolded part (emphasis mine) not an insult?

It's more of a description of the mindset, not some kind of medical issue.

The point that was being made is that console gamers (in general) will flock to the new release and drop their current game (this is the ADD part, short attention span when something new and shiny shows up).

Not the greatest analogy, but I understand what was meant.

I know what ADD is. I've worked with that population. Again, how is that not an insult? More importantly, I doubt that it's based on anything more than opinion.
I could care less if they released it for the ps3/4 wii android ios ipad n7 hell even the nook. What peopl have a issue with is they were just paid beta testers. Everything people wanted in the game is actually going to be included into the ps3 version and the pc got a rushed inferior product. Actually makes u wonder out of those 12 years how much of that was actually spent on the pc version...
02/22/2013 10:42 PMPosted by Petyr
I know what ADD is. I've worked with that population. Again, how is that not an insult? More importantly, I doubt that it's based on anything more than opinion.

I don't think it was meant literally, but was used as an analogy for short attention span players, which a lot of console gamers are. I said in my previous post that it was probably a bad choice.

I don't care one way or the other, I was just trying to interpret the reasoning.

Sorry, I won't try to assist anyone with understanding again.

Also, 99.9% of anything said on these forums is pretty much opinion. You need to get some thicker skin if you're going to delve into this cesspool.
02/22/2013 10:51 PMPosted by Matticles

I don't think it was meant literally, but was used as an analogy for short attention span players, which a lot of console gamers are. I said in my previous post that it was probably a bad choice.

I don't care one way or the other, I was just trying to interpret the reasoning.

Sorry, I won't try to assist anyone with understanding again.

Also, 99.9% of anything said on these forums is pretty much opinion. You need to get some thicker skin if you're going to delve into this cesspool.

I'm not upset, so I'm not really sure that I need thicker skin.

Calling console players "short attention span" players is still an insult, and one based exclusively on a biased opinion. Nothing wrong with having an opinion, as long as people don't try to confuse them with anything factual.
02/22/2013 11:03 PMPosted by Petyr

Never said you were, but that single post got to you for whatever reason, specifically a single line. I'm saying it was a bad analogy that you took offense with. But the poster went on to explain the analogy, and even said it was not meant as an insult, yet you insist that it was. There are some people who would even go as far to say that you're purposefully looking for the insult.

I play console games, and enjoy them. I didn't take offense, and I agree that console gamers generally have a shorter attention span. Hell, most gamers no matter what preferred platform have short attention spans. We have to be entertained for us to stick around, would you agree?

02/22/2013 11:03 PMPosted by Petyr
Calling console players "short attention span" players is still an insult, and one based exclusively on a biased opinion. Nothing wrong with having an opinion, as long as people don't try to confuse them with anything factual.

OK, all players have short attention spans. I don't think that's much better from your perspective, but at least it isn't singling out one segment of the gaming population.
Edited by Matticles#1220 on 2/22/2013 11:17 PM PST
It's not about what will happen to the game, it's about what already did happen. IE, 4player and 6 button interface perfect for most platforms but an odd choice for a PC.
02/22/2013 11:11 PMPosted by Matticles

Never said you were, but that single post got to you for whatever reason, specifically a single line. I'm saying it was a bad analogy that you took offense with. But the poster went on to explain the analogy, and even said it was not meant as an insult, yet you insist that it was. There are some people who would even go as far to say that you're purposefully looking for the insult.

I play console games, and enjoy them. I didn't take offense, and I agree that console gamers generally have a shorter attention span. Hell, most gamers no matter what preferred platform have short attention spans. We have to be entertained for us to stick around, would you agree?

Got to me? Not really. I replied. That's about as far as it "got to me".

To me, the more salient point was to inform him that Playstation actually was getting the full game (according to Blizzard). However, I guess I wanted to clarify the contradiction. The negatively describe a group of people like that *is* an insult. I was hoping he could help explain how calling people ADD could be considered not an insult.

To answer your question, I think that our society in general probably has a shorter attention span than in previous generations. But to say that people who move on to something else when they are no longer entertained have a short attention span... that's not quite how it works.
02/22/2013 11:28 PMPosted by Petyr
To me, the more salient point was to inform him that Playstation actually was getting the full game (according to Blizzard). However, I guess I wanted to clarify the contradiction. The negatively describe a group of people like that *is* an insult. I was hoping he could help explain how calling people ADD could be considered not an insult.

It was a bad analogy. Not meant literally. Poor choice of words. Perhaps that was the only way the poster could explain it based on their personal ability, but then knew they needed to clarify why they didn't mean it as an insult.

At this point, I'm not sure why I continue to attempt an explanation. I didn't write it, lol.

But to say that people who move on to something else when they are no longer entertained have a short attention span... that's not quite how it works.

And that's not entirely what I meant. I'm saying that without being entertained, the attention is going to be short lived. We, gamers, aren't going to sit through a game that doesn't entertain, we don't have time for that and it won't keep our attention. And on occasion, we'll drop a game like a hot potato for the new releases.
Edited by Matticles#1220 on 2/22/2013 11:36 PM PST
And that's not entirely what I meant. I'm saying that without being entertained, the attention is going to be short lived. We, gamers, aren't going to sit through a game that doesn't entertain, we don't have time for that and it won't keep our attention. And on occasion, we'll drop a game like a hot potato for the new releases.

Why don't you just say that gamers don't spend much time playing a game they don't like, or a game that they no longer like? I think that's what you're trying to say. There's nothing wrong with that. It's a natural reaction. But it really has nothing to do with "attention span". I think that's where the confusion/miscommunication is.
To me, the more salient point was to inform him that Playstation actually was getting the full game (according to Blizzard).

I'll grant you the "Paragon Leveling" thing was in the announcement, I missed that. However, the fact remains that Blizzard's statement that the Console will have the "core' game "based on" the PC version leaves me concluding that the Console version will NOT be the "full game".

So... What do you think will be left out?
02/22/2013 11:50 PMPosted by Teucer
To me, the more salient point was to inform him that Playstation actually was getting the full game (according to Blizzard).

I'll grant you the "Paragon Leveling" thing was in the announcement, I missed that. However, the fact remains that Blizzard's statement that the Console will have the "core' game "based on" the PC version leaves me concluding that the Console version will NOT be the "full game".

So... What do you think will be left out?

I'm not sure, to be honest. Have they specifically stated that anything is going to be left out? I have my doubts about how they'll integrate the Auction House, if at all.
Why don't you just say that gamers don't spend much time playing a game they don't like, or a game that they no longer like? I think that's what you're trying to say. There's nothing wrong with that. It's a natural reaction. But it really has nothing to do with "attention span". I think that's where the confusion/miscommunication is.

No, that's really not it either.

I have stopped playing various games on multiple occasions for a new release, or to go back to an old game, then come back to some new/semi-new game I had already. We all do it. That's what I'm referring to with attention span, and what I'm assuming the original poster meant.

Damn dude, how did we get so far off course in this thread.

Respect to you, I gotta go to bed.
Nothing was removed in the PC versions of the games you listed to accomodate a console version.

However, for D3 it really seems it's not the case, hence why millions of players are kinda upset.
1 worker can paint a wall in 10hr.

2 workers can paint a wall in 5hr.

And so on.

I hate to contradict you but software development actually doesn't work that way. At all.

This is my final and 3rd trial. And if you will be just skeptical, then you are just ignorant.

Blizzard had a certain budget to make and improve diablo3. Teams are formed, designs are made, codes are written.

Which is better for the PC game:

-All resources, planning, time, effort, team allocation, improvement discussion, re-planning, re-thinking going to the PC-MAC version of the game.

or

-Some part of the above time-effort-plan-money-hiring-thinking-designing-negotiating etc being allocated to the console iteration.

It is very obvious.

It is like nations, which can be regarded as super big companies. If you put more money into defense, then less money will be available for education and improving it.
Don't care too much about the game being multiplat.

Do care that the PC version is still a mess one year from release, still doesn't have the PvP we were promised ages ago, still doesn't have offline mode, ladder, decent loot or any number of other glaring problems. Do care that they're wasting time trying to squeeze a few more bucks out of a console port using the $60 I spent on this PC game expecting Blizzard quality.

Wish the time, effort and funds had been used fixing this game instead. I guess they think its in an ok state though if they're porting it. Guess it just means the game I wish it was is never coming... oh well. In this day and age I'm used to being let down by greedy game devs chasing the almighty dollar and sacrificing complex gameplay for the widest possible audience, Blizzard was probably the last one I still had any amount of faith in.
Simplified Skill tree

Even more simplified skill allocation/changes

No stat allocation

Super linear maps

Colorful maps all over

Health globes ( even if i like them )

The number of total skills you can use ( count how many buttons a pad has , coincidence? )

No LADDER

No PVP yet

Now i think everything makes sense ... Why they are so denial about ladder mode for example when was number 1 reason why diablo 2 did so good.

Dont you think everything makes sense now? Dont you think that this game failed miserably because it build with consoles in mind as well ?! Because i gave you some strong reasons why i beleive they were aiming for console release since the early development and that is ... never good for PC oriented games... period

Its different to make an "100%" PC game and then try to port it on consoles and entirely different to build a PC game with Consoles in mind as well .. Totally different results imho.
Edited by Azatis#2345 on 2/23/2013 3:35 AM PST
Im just pissed off at being mislead, they didn't outright say no, but they sure in hell didn't admit it when asked a long time ago.
I don't understand the negativity, either. Now it can be a terrible game on two platforms, all good.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]