Diablo® III

Where are the details for the second Ask the Devs?

02/25/2013 08:30 PMPosted by Grimiku
We wouldn’t dream of giving up on the players, in fact we are planning to tackle one of the more frequent community discussions. :) We are working on a new set of questions for “Ask the Devs” that revolves around itemization, a very popular subject here on the forums. We’re looking at doing this in March, and are very excited about the opportunity to provide some answers and insight about this subject to the community.

This really is your last chance. Many of us are tired of being disappointed over and over again by Blues.
Reply Quote
We wouldn’t dream of giving up on the players, in fact we are planning to tackle one of the more frequent community discussions. :) We are working on a new set of questions for “Ask the Devs” that revolves around itemization, a very popular subject here on the forums. We’re looking at doing this in March, and are very excited about the opportunity to provide some answers and insight about this subject to the community.

I hope the devs have learnt the lesson about how not to answer questions posed by the community.

This is one of the major issues choking this game. Do not waste it like the first Q&A.
Reply Quote
what's the point of another Q&A? they're simply gonna say "Yes, we understand what you the community want. It's a good idea, but we decided to go in a different direction because (insert sad attempt to disguise the developers' laziness here)"
Reply Quote
CMs aren't Devs. enough said. until I actually see one coming from an actual dev then i'll believe it that they do listen. Other than that okay. CM reads it sure. does Dev care? doesn't seem like it.
Edited by KradisZ#1651 on 2/25/2013 10:05 PM PST
Reply Quote
1 Gnome Warrior
Either that or the questionsed answered will be "Can we have matching pretty items that make our characters look nice?" or

"Why was (Insert item) nerfed in patch(Insert number)?"
Answer: Because it was too strong

Can't wait

what's the point of another Q&A? they're simply gonna say "Yes, we understand what you the community want. It's a good idea, but we decided to go in a different direction because (insert sad attempt to disguise the developers' laziness here)"
Reply Quote
The question is "Are they going to do anything about it?" I hope it's not something like why are items the way they are now with answers like "well we cant have uniques like in d2 where they have the same affixes just different stats because that would be boring, having a lot of variables prolong the game and that's our philosophy."
Edited by Ketchup#1231 on 2/25/2013 10:14 PM PST
Reply Quote

This x100,

I've read hundreds of helpful suggestions from good community members and players that are re routed in that manner.
Reply Quote
that blue post made my day. Cant wait to see what happens in the next 3 months.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile

Do us a favor please and don't put the ATD smack in the middle of the day again. You locked out so many people it wasn't even funny. In fact, for every ATD you've ever done, you've done just that and it puts a sour taste into many a players' mouths since they end up only being able to upvote an idea they like. That's hardly a good way to garner faith in these sessions when the same people are locked out of it time and time again.

Reply Quote

You responded! Thanks
Reply Quote
02/25/2013 10:38 PMPosted by TheTias
Do us a favor please and don't put the ATD smack in the middle of the day again. You locked out so many people it wasn't even funny. In fact, for every ATD you've ever done, you've done just that and it puts a sour taste into many a players' mouths since they end up only being able to upvote an idea they like. That's hardly a good way to garner faith in these sessions when the same people are locked out of it time and time again.

First off, thanks Grimiku for simultaneously trying to defend the honor of Blizzard whilst giving us a shred of hope that not all is lost in the realm of fun in Diablo 3. I hope what you say is for real and that some time the first week of March you guys allow us to pose some itemization-related questions. Don't limit the number of question posts like you did last time though. It is easy to scan through posts. Look for posts that all have the same questions related to the same issues. Or, look for posts with the most up votes. Or, look for the posts with more text and scan them quickly to make sure they're not just spam or hate. Some of them contain great questions or even good ideas to help out Blizzard.

I looked at the questions chosen and answer given for the last QandA and it was a sad sad joke. It seriously offended the vast majority of the forum community, so I'd assume that the kindest estimate is that it offended a sizable minority of the whole gaming community of Diablo 3. That's not good for business. Just saying. The next set of answers should be more agreeable (if possible) and more detailed in either agreement or disagreement or both. We don't wish to read a fluffy disrespectfully-toned answer. We want to either (a) hear the truth or (b) hear that we're getting what we want and how and when, and there is a kind way to say both without saying too much or being rude.

The developers were a little too blunt and falsely polite during the QandA regarding 1.07 and said really very little in their answers. We expect better. Perhaps they knew what to say but couldn't properly express it. Or, perhaps it was the opposite and someone overly edited their answers, I don't know. Either way, Blizzard developers should be more honest and more tactful and hopefully more agreeable if possible next time we exchange questions and answers.

With the failed first QandA and the announcement of consoles (which I knew about but a lot of people apparently didn't and thus got enraged)..well lets just say you can only have so many horrible PR failures in a short period of time.. I wish you guys better luck during the next round of QandA, it would benefit us all, both Blizzard and its customers if this next go around is more productive and makes customers happier and feel more connected to the process.
Reply Quote
Originally posted be Doombringer: Oh, would there be a patch about legendary items being "more game changing" soon™ after that ask the dev? :)

Dude, people would go ape !@#$ if they did that..even the so called "haters" would. some new items or change ups would be nice.
Edited by Chopu#1897 on 2/26/2013 12:43 AM PST
Reply Quote
itemisation:
a) have a surplus of dps adding stats. eg: we all have trifectas merely because we CAN have trifectas. but assuming we had 20 good affixes that can substitute for any of the trifecta stats, that means instead of 3 out of 6 slots being desired, we'll be looking at 20/6

b) why is cc/ias so important, because its tied into resource generation and dps.

so some suggestions are.

a) all the %skill based damage things . bump it to like +150% cold damage (frost burns).

b) elemental effects do things.

c) huge ap/fury/spirit/hatred generation mods. make them mutually exclusive with cc/ias on an item. eg: +50 spirit each time you deal a damage quantity equal to your dps value

d) more dps affixes. eg: crushing blow

e) super buffed thorns. eg: thorns on amulet deal the equivalent of 100% cdmg, make it proc loh/apoc

f) make bleed huge: make it proc loh/apoc

same with defensive stats.

in otherwords, assuming stacking each type of affix is a build, let there be like 20 ways of getting to 500k dps, 2mil ehp

(eg: build 1: stacks ias/cc/cd/pri/ar/armor/vit)

and of course to do this without invalidating/diminishing our current gear, so do it via eg (imbues, enchants, enhancements whatachmacallits, talismans, sphere skill tree with caps on affixes via plvl buyins) and if that makes the game too easy. give us act 5-8 and mp11-20 and plvls 101 to 1000
Edited by chrisloup#6305 on 2/26/2013 1:41 AM PST
Reply Quote

It may be a bit premature asking the community about itemization. We need to know where you stand first on the subject such as; What problems do you, Blizz, see with itemization and do you agree with the community? What changes are you willing to make? Will you be willing to look at other ARPGs that have itemization that really work such as D2, TL2, PoE, and TQIT and are you willing to bring D3 at least up to those standards?

Without the community knowing at least some of these things our questions may not even be relevant. We will probably ask questions way outside what you're willing to do.

But I must express my gratitude at your willingness to, hopefully, directly address these concerns. That was the best blue post I've seen in months :).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]