Diablo® III

Doomed to Archon or Critical Mass?

Hello all I just came back from a hiatus & I am a little dismayed to see what appears to be only two dominate builds: Archon & Critical Mass. Is there any other viable Wizard builds out there? I remember when Diablo 3 first began there was Arcane Orb, Disintegrate, Hydra, Critical Mass, Archon, & Blizzard builds if I remember right but its almost as if they were mostly killed off. :(
Reply Quote
Everything is viable at MP0.
Reply Quote
What about higher levels though? Im already able to go through MP4 without much issues (haven't played much with the higher levels yet) since fortunately I was a CM Wizard when I went on Hiatus.
Reply Quote
I assume you've seen this: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7004037930

Not too much has changed since then, except that it's a bit cheaper to get some of the higher-end gear. It's not that the builds were "killed off," exactly. LIke Junger says, they still work where they used to. Bliz just added higher difficulties, and only a couple builds were strong enough to reach the tippy top.
Reply Quote
Hm =/ That is a little disappointing... I see some of the abilities were buffed but I guess not enough to warrant their use in the upper echelons. Thank you for the info! :D
Reply Quote
But hey - don't give up! Maybe you can find a new build. You need something that will let you avoid getting hit for arbitrarily long amounts of time.

For archon, that means LS plus insane dps. For CC/WW, it's stun-lock.
Reply Quote
Keep in mind though Critical Mass builds are actually very diverse. It's a misnomer to lump all the CM builds together. There's the standard CM/WW wizard that works by stun-lock (ie the most recognizable CM build), but there's also competitive meteor and disintegrate builds that use LL+Arcane Dyanmo. The key is that most competitive builds nowadays require the Critical Mass passive in some sort of form, so you can rapidly reset cooldowns for powerful skills like Diamond Skin, Frost Nova, Explosive Blast, Teleport, and Slow Time.
Reply Quote
The key is that most competitive builds nowadays require the Critical Mass passive in some sort of form, so you can rapidly reset cooldowns for powerful skills like Diamond Skin, Frost Nova, Explosive Blast, Teleport, and Slow Time.

That's my issue right there. It's like monks' OWE. How about Blizzard give us some other build options that don't revolve around one passive? :D
Reply Quote
View profile
End game in ARPG is spam powerful spells. Besides archon - CM is our mechanism to spam. All games have one. All toons in this game have such a mechanism.

Doomed? no kite and use sig spells and launch a few arcane orbs at them every so often. It works. But you won't be playing game way it was meant to be played but get played often as a lvl 60 toon.
Edited by Aimless#1700 on 2/26/2013 10:02 AM PST
Reply Quote
End game in ARPG is spam powerful spells. Besides archon - CM is our mechanism to spam. All games have one.

Because the designers designed themselves into a corner. Skills and abilities with long cooldowns, that's very WOWish, not Diablo. You could spam healing and mana potions in Diablo 2.
Reply Quote
I use LL + Arcane Dynamo + Blizzard and Venom Hydra to facetank with Blood Magic + LS weapon. My only defensive skill is Ice Armor Crystallize. I do not need CM as I'm using nothing that has a cooldown. I can speed run MP7.

Illusionist and Unstable Anomaly passives both can be used in place of CM. The only passive we have that I would say is mandatory for all builds except Archon is Cold Blooded.
Edited by DoctorDoom#1357 on 2/26/2013 10:13 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
I use LL + Arcane Dynamo + Blizzard and Venom Hydra to facetank with Blood Magic + LS weapon. My only defensive skill is Ice Armor Crystallize. I do not need CM as I'm using nothing that has a cooldown. I can speed run MP7.

Illusionist and Unstable Anomaly passives both can be used in place of CM. The only passive we have that I would say is mandatory for all builds except Archon is Cold Blooded.

Everytime i see u in game u have CM selected not GC. H
Edited by Aimless#1700 on 2/26/2013 10:18 AM PST
Reply Quote
*LL and Blizzard Stark Winter +3 duration from Source (Max procs from one cast you can get, I cover the screen), 20 APOC.
Edited by DoctorDoom#1357 on 2/26/2013 10:19 AM PST
Reply Quote
I do not need CM as I'm using nothing that has a cooldown. I can speed run MP7.

Good! That's what I like to hear. Diversity despite all of Jay's bad decisions.
Reply Quote
View profile
Thats right doom sorry thinking of a different build you do a lot.:P
Reply Quote
That one is Shards, Frozen Storm, and EB. Haven't used since 1.07 Blizzard buff. AD + Blizzard is too good not to use now. Full area Cold Blooded coverage for Chaos Nexus means I don't have to use Frozen Storm and can use Crystallize instead.

I use 3 skills which get the longest-lasting benefit of 5 AD stacks (Stark Winter that lasts for 9 sec with my Oculus, Venom Hydra (whole duration), and Disintegrate for whole channel). With a few LL casts, I can have all 3 AD-boosted abilities firing simultaneously. I stand in the Blizzard and the Venom Hydra pools so mobs come to me, they get chilled or frozen when they hit me and take damage from those abilities.
Edited by DoctorDoom#1357 on 2/26/2013 10:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
That one is Shards, Frozen Storm, and EB. Haven't used since 1.07 Blizzard buff. AD + Blizzard is too good not to use now. Full area Cold Blooded coverage for Chaos Nexus means I don't have to use Frozen Storm and can use Crystallize instead.

I use 3 skills which get the longest-lasting benefit of 5 AD stacks (Stark Winter that lasts for 9 sec with my Oculus, Venom Hydra (whole duration), and Disintegrate for whole channel). With a few LL casts, I can have all 3 AD-boosted abilities firing simultaneously. I stand in the Blizzard and the Venom Hydra pools so mobs come to me, they get chilled or frozen when they hit me and take damage from those abilities.

How do you start fights? Seems like it has some wind up to it. I'm genuinely curious, not trolling or anything.
Reply Quote
There's only windup if you want there to be. You start by dropping Blizzard and Hydra, then pump out a bunch of LL's, when you get to 5 stacks start channelling Disintegrate. You want to stand as close to the mobs as possible. For elites make sure you get a 5 stack Hydra up ASAP- you'll notice that you'll probably regain your 5-Stack from the LL's you cast before you started chanelling Disintegrate while you are still chanelling it- that can be used on the Hydra, Blizzard, or another Disintegrate channel.
Edited by DoctorDoom#1357 on 2/26/2013 1:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/26/2013 01:03 PMPosted by DoctorDoom
There's only windup if you want there to be. You start by dropping Blizzard and Hydra, then pump out a bunch of LL's, when you get to 5 stacks start channelling Disintegrate. You want to stand as close to the mobs as possible. For elites make sure you get a 5 stack Hydra up ASAP- you'll notice that you'll probably regain your 5-Stack from the LL's you cast before you started chanelling Disintegrate while you are still chanelling it- that can be used on the Hydra, Blizzard, or another Disintegrate channel.

That looks like so much fun. Can you use that build with basic cm/ww gear? obviously a tals with 3 sec blizz duration helps a lot, can it work with 17 apoc and 2.77 aps?
Reply Quote
with enough money any build can be viable at any mp
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]