Diablo® III

AH Bidding Problem

idk if other people find this to be a problem but when bidding on items in the last few minutes when you try to increase the bid, it doesn't accurately say what the top bid is at. for instance ill be winning the bid until the last minute until someone bids higher trying to snipe it so i click bid and it gives me a recommended increased bid but once i click bid, it always says it isnt high enough, so i keep going higher and higher and it keeps saying it isnt high enough until the point that it expires and i lost. i want it to say what the actual top bid is so i dont have to guess how much to increase the bid by. anyone else find this annoying?
Reply Quote
My method is to wait until 15secs is left on the auction, bid the absolute highest amount I'm willing to pay and one of 2 things will happen....1- my bid was insufficient OR 2- You Won!
Reply Quote
I find it more confusing that I bid, my bid is (apparently) the highest (current bid and your bid are the same) and it still it says that I am not winning...
Reply Quote
This is the nature of proxy bidding, I find it far more beneficial than annoying since it often times allows me to get items for far cheaper than what people are listing the BO for them are since so many people have such a hard time understanding the concept. I do exactly Bloddyzbub does the only downside to this method is when the AH goes down unexpectedly on an item you may have been watching for a while.
Reply Quote
That's how the AH works. If somebody puts in a high max bid, bidding incrementally is the wrong way to bid against them. Bid the most you are willing to pay. If your max bid is higher than the other person's, his max bid will be upped by 5% and you'll be winning at that price.

Forelle, you are losing at your max bid because the other guy had a higher max bid before you made yours. You basically raised up his bid to your max.
Reply Quote
View profile
How is it that people STILL do not understand how this works? Just because you bid higher than the CURRENT winning bid doesn't mean you will be the higher bidder. That person ALREADY bid HIGHER than you just bid. CURRENT price is NOT the highest that someone else has bid.
Edited by SmokeyBuddha#1925 on 2/27/2013 8:06 PM PST
Reply Quote
Not to bash the guy I do think he has an idea how this works since he did state specifically that he wanted to know what the top bid actually was in addition to his last sentence asking if anyone found this method of bidding annoying
Reply Quote
View profile
02/27/2013 08:06 PMPosted by Geenugs
Not to bash the guy I do think he has an idea how this works since he did state specifically that he wanted to know what the top bid actually was in addition to his last sentence asking if anyone found this method of bidding annoying

No. Op assumed this.

02/27/2013 07:45 PMPosted by Newschooler
idk if other people find this to be a problem but when bidding on items in the last few minutes when you try to increase the bid, it doesn't accurately say what the top bid is at.

He is saying that the AH isn't showing the correct top bid. The problem is ... the AH doesn't show you the current top bid. It shows you the current bid.... NOT the MAX bid.
Reply Quote
02/27/2013 07:53 PMPosted by Forelle
I find it more confusing that I bid, my bid is (apparently) the highest (current bid and your bid are the same) and it still it says that I am not winning...

The AH was hotfixed a few weeks ago to do this. Instead of raising the current bid 5% over your attempted bid it just brings it up to yours. Blizzard changed it to help prevent other players from finding out your max bid.
Edited by Rapap#1672 on 2/27/2013 8:16 PM PST
Reply Quote
Mark, thanks for the explanation. :) I guessed so, too.

However, I find it confusing that it says for instance:
your bid: 2345 gold
current bid: 2345 gold

For my understanding, since current bid and my bid are the same, it should be me who has the current max bid, and it should be me who is currently winning. If that isn't the case (and obviously it isn't) then the current bid has to be higher than my bid, and if it is only by 1 gold. Just for the logic and understanding. But maybe I just think too complicated. xD
Reply Quote
Read my post above. ;p Blizzard probably should have changed the current bid to be 1 gold over your attempted bid to avoid confusion but they didn't.
Reply Quote
well if its only showing MY last highest bid and not the ACTUAL highest bid from someone else that i need to beat then how am i supposed to know how high i need to go? but i guess thats a good point that i should just bid as high as im willing to go but then i could end up wasting gold if i didnt need to bid quite that high. idk just seems like id rather know what i need to beat
Reply Quote
Part of the point of the proxy bidding system is to not know how high the other person has bid. By keeping it secret a person can't drive up your bid without any intent to actually win the item.

If you are winning an auction and the current bid doesn't get up to your max bid then you will get a refund of the difference.

Just think of the system bidding for you while you aren't there. You tell it how much you are willing to bid up to and it does the bidding for you. That's what proxy bidding is.
Edited by Rapap#1672 on 2/27/2013 8:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/27/2013 08:19 PMPosted by Rapap
Read my post above. ;p Blizzard probably should have changed the current bid to be 1 gold over your attempted bid to avoid confusion but they didn't.

Yes, I read it after my post. Thanks for it!
Reply Quote
Proxy bidding is less of a "How high you need to go system" and more of a "how high am I willing to go." If you use the method stated earlier in the post and you happen to place the highest bid available then you'll get it priced just above whatever the next highest bidder was at. For example, the screen shows the high bid at 250k. I'm willing to pay 5mil but currently someone else is the high bidder. What you can't see is that they might have entered in lets say 500k. So I come along with 15seconds left or so and enter in the 5mil max I'm WILLING to pay. I become the highest bidder and the bid itself jumps up the 5% or whatever the minimum increase is, the remaining 4.5mil or so is refunded.
Reply Quote
oh ok i pretty much get it, makes sense now that i know that you get some of your money back if you bid waaay higher than the current bid, thanks for the explanations guys
Reply Quote
Senior Technical Game Designer
02/27/2013 08:10 PMPosted by Rapap
The AH was hotfixed a few weeks ago to do this. Instead of raising the current bid 5% over your attempted bid it just brings it up to yours. Blizzard changed it to help prevent other players from finding out your max bid.

This is correct. Preserving your max bid as a secret is important in allowing players to bid according to their true valuations as well as mitigating shill bids. (Bids with ill intent to artificially inflate the price)

Others in this thread have said it better than I but in essence if your desire is that you simply want to know what it is that you need to beat (so you can bid a bit higher) flip your thinking over and let the system work in your favor instead. Suppose the current winner is Bob with a visible (public) bid of 50,000 gold. Bob's true max bid (which is hidden from you), is 75,000 gold.

In this case one of the following will apply:

Scenario 1: You are willing to bid between 52,500 and 75,000 gold. In this case, you're not willing to pay as much as Bob, so Bob will win. The system will automatically increase Bob's bid to your max bid. Since he entered his bid first (and is also willing to pay more), the system considers Bob the winner.

Scenario 2: You are willing to bid 75,001 or more gold. In this case, you are willing to spend more than Bob, so the system makes you the winner. Suppose you enter a value of 150,000 gold. Well now the hidden bid is working to your advantage. The public bid is 75,000, the maximum amount Bob was willing to pay. But now you're the one who is willing to pay more, and entered a higher number, so the system considers you to be the winner instead. Even though you entered 150,000 - if the auction were to end right now you only pay 75,000, the maximum of the second place bidder (Bob). Of course somebody else may come along and bid that up, but the system will automatically increment your bid upwards for you to the maximum (150,000) you had specified.

For the academically interested, you can read more about this auction approach on wikipedia, it's called a Vickrey auction or "Second Price Auction". One very nice property is it gives bidders incentive to bid their true value. a.k.a "Truthful bidding". For the Diablo Auction House it enables players to make a truthful bid, leave the game, come back 24 hours later and see if they won. No need to babysit a bid and make sure you don't get "sniped". As long as you bid the maximum amount you were willing to pay you either win and get a refund for the difference between you and second place, or you lose the auction to somebody who was willing to pay more.
Edited by Lylirra on 2/28/2013 11:08 AM PST
Reply Quote
02/27/2013 09:15 PMPosted by Wyatt Cheng
One very nice property is it gives bidders incentive to bid their true value. a.k.a "Truthful bidding". For the Diablo Auction House it enables players to make a truthful bid, leave the game, come back 24 hours later and see if they won. No need to babysit a bid and make sure you don't get "sniped".

Lol yeah, for the ones who do not have basic notions of economics such as supply and demand... go ahead, bid early!

Edit: BTW I'm pretty sure almost everyone here missed the OP is actually referring to the fact that the "My bids" section of the auction house is not updated in real time. I.e. when the auction is ending, the current visible bid can be 30m but your "My bids" section is still frozen at 25m, you gotta search for the item instead, to ensure you are seeing real time values.
Edited by Koric#1513 on 2/27/2013 9:51 PM PST
Reply Quote
you can switch tabs to update the time of any bids on your list (as well as scroll up or down if you have more than 6 active bids). However the current price can only be obtained by looking up the item on the ah itself.
Reply Quote
Wyatt's post is basically on the money, but it ignores the fact that many people do not act rationally: they bid less than the max price they are willing to pay and/or the maximum they are willing to pay changes based the situation. I've seen it a lot (and been victim to it once or twice).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]