Diablo® III

AH Bidding Problem

This is where a refresh button is required. You can be told to refresh screen as your bid is below current value, but you cannot do that from My Bids screen. To find it by search may take too long if auction is near end and you have just checked to see how you are going.

To say that you should have put a higher bid in prior is not an answer, but a cop out.

You still may decide to increase bid or not depending on how much you want item, and how much more gold you have accumulated during bid period.
Reply Quote
02/27/2013 09:15 PMPosted by Wyatt Cheng
The AH was hotfixed a few weeks ago to do this. Instead of raising the current bid 5% over your attempted bid it just brings it up to yours. Blizzard changed it to help prevent other players from finding out your max bid.

This is correct. Preserving your max bid as a secret is important in allowing players to bid according to their true valuations as well as mitigating shill bids. (Bids with ill intent to artificially inflate the price)

Others in this thread have said it better than I but in essence if your desire is that you simply want to know what it is that you need to beat (so you can bid a bit higher) flip your thinking over and let the system work in your favor instead. Suppose the current winner is Bob with a visible (public) bid of 50,000 gold. Bob's true max bid (which is hidden from you), is 75,000 gold.

In this case one of the following will apply:
Scenario 1: You are willing to bid between 52,500 and 75,000 gold. In this case, you're not willing to pay as much as Bob, so Bob will win. The system will automatically increase Bob's bid to your max bid. Since he entered his bid first (and is also willing to pay more), the system considers Bob the winner.
Scenario 2: You are willing to bid 75,001 or more gold. In this case, you are willing to spend more than Bob, so the system makes you the winner. Suppose you enter a value of 150,000 gold. Well now the hidden bid is working to your advantage. The public bid is 75,000, the maximum amount Bob was willing to pay. But now you're the one who is willing to pay more, and entered a higher number, so the system considers you to be the winner instead. Even though you entered 150,000 - if the auction were to end right now you only pay 75,000, the maximum of the second place bidder (Bob). Of course somebody else may come along and bid that up, but the system will automatically increment your bid upwards for you to the maximum (150,000) you had specified.

For the academically interested, you can read more about this auction approach on wikipedia, it's called a Vickrey auction or "Second Price Auction". One very nice property is it gives bidders incentive to bid their true value. a.k.a "Truthful bidding". For the Diablo Auction House it enables players to make a truthful bid, leave the game, come back 24 hours later and see if they won. No need to babysit a bid and make sure you don't get "sniped". As long as you bid the maximum amount you were willing to pay you either win and get a refund for the difference between you and second place, or you lose the auction to somebody who was willing to pay more.

Thanks for making posts Wyatt.

Unfortunately, I couldn't finish reading it as I don't even use AH. Please continue improving Diablo first, not Bidablo.
Reply Quote
A Dev shouldnt have to post this.

INFO like this should be in the game guide!
Reply Quote
02/27/2013 07:53 PMPosted by Forelle
I find it more confusing that I bid, my bid is (apparently) the highest (current bid and your bid are the same) and it still it says that I am not winning...

Has happened the last 5x's... Getting really old...
Reply Quote
Check out this Great new way to play Diablo 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=N-rnXElaos0
Reply Quote
I'm sorry did a blue poster say that the AH is designed to nullify sniping?

Like :".......No need to babysit a bid and make sure you don't get "sniped""

I dont even know what to say....i just keep typing these vile septic rants......and then deleting them without posting it...

Unbelievable....
Reply Quote
I'm sorry did a blue poster say that the AH is designed to nullify sniping?

Like :".......No need to babysit a bid and make sure you don't get "sniped""

I dont even know what to say....i just keep typing these vile septic rants......and then deleting them without posting it...

Unbelievable....

that's because you are trying to lowball. instead of making your best offer.

eg: if i were willing to pay 1.5billion on an item, even if you wanted to snipe at the last minute with a lowball offer, you would lose unless you exceeded 1.5billion. thats the point that is being made.

lowballers have to bear the risk of being sniped. those who offer truthful bids either win or lose because someone outbidded them
Reply Quote
I think it is a very fair system. The proxy system is necessary since their are so many players in different time zones. I usually just bid the highest amount i am willing or can afford to pay. If someone beats me to it, it only means that someone is willing to pay higher.
Reply Quote
there isn't anything 150K gold worth buying. Change that to 150mil gold instead? Bad example!
Reply Quote
View profile
Bidding up the item u want early may not necessarily be bad all the time. It's a good way to discourage flippers.

Eg. I'll love to try my luck on a potential 1bil item if it was listed or currently bidding at 500m than it Was already at 800m. The difference of that few hundred mils make it less appealing although it wouldn't have made a real difference. Just a psychological effect.
Reply Quote
View profile
I was replying to koric BTW. SRy out of topic
Reply Quote
Sigh... what is hard to understand?

1. Item you want is on AH.
2. You make a bid.
3. You are now either the top bidder or you bumped the current max bid to what you bid.
4a. If the other person has a bid that is higher then yours, he is the current winner with a current bid which is the same amount as the bid you just made, you are refunded your gold.
4b. If the other person had a bid that was lower then your, you are the current winner with a current bid equal to the other person's bid, your bid is still "held" by the AH until the auction is over OR someone outbids your bid.
4c (rare senario). If two people bid the SAME amount, the one that made the bid first is the current winner, and the other person will be refunded their gold.
5. The auction ends.
6a. You had the top bid, and won the item, you are refunded you gold minus the second highest bid.
6b. You didn't have the top bid. You lose the item and your gold is refunded.

There are 2 (AND ONLY 2) reasons not to place a true bid on an item you actually want, until the last few minutes.

1. You don't have enough gold atm to make a true bid. So you are waiting to either farm that gold or get it from other auctions going on atm.

2. You are hoping for a better alternative to pop up as an auction before you are forced to either make a true bid or skip this auction.

That being said, there is a semi-third valid reason for not placing a true bid right away. You make a super low bid (when it's just like a few hundred gold or similar, or whatever is low for you) just to have the item pop up in your auction tracking page (there really needs to be a tracking option in the AH).

If you are one of the people that are making last minutes bid, cause you think you will get something cheaper... you are just being silly.

Cases to make it clearer:

You find an item you want, current bid 100k.
It's worth 1m to you.
You bid 500k.
At the last minute someone bid 750k.
a. You reacted in time and bid 1m gold, you won the item and payed 750k.
b. You didn't notice the last minute bid, you lost the item and didn't pay anything, but you should have bid 1m gold since that's what is was worth to you, and in this case you would have won it.

It's worth 1m to you.
You bid 1m.
At the last minute someone bids 750k.
You win the item and played 750k.

It's worth 1m to you.
You bid 1m.
At the last minute someone bids 1.1m.
You lose the item and didn't play anything.
In this case you would never have won, cause someone valued the item higher then you and gave a higher bid.

It's worth 1m to you.
You bid 1m.
At the last minute someone bids 1m + 1gold.
You lose the item and get furious that someone "snipped" the auction by only playing 1 more gold then you!!!
a. You realize that the item was worth only 1m gold to you, so you didn't do anything wrong and lost fair and square.
b. You bash your own head cause you now realize that you would have been willing to play 1.1m for the item, and would have won the item for 1m + 2gold, had you only made a true bid.

Edit: Spelling.
Edited by Elvis#1501 on 2/28/2013 3:28 AM PST
Reply Quote
Blizzard is making this game into a "wall street" game where people make money buying low and inflating price to sell high. Being the average player can not get a good drop their character can actually use you are then forced to pay for what you need. Isn't this game supposed to be about roll playing or is that just a ruse and an excuse to cover up that you actually have to buy everything your character needs so you can show off to your friends what you have purchased and how strong your character now is. Yep I thought this game was supposed to be about fighting and getting drops that every once in awhile you could actually use. You know a Diablo game for Diablo fans. Hay are we all having fun yet?
Reply Quote
02/27/2013 10:26 PMPosted by akcrono
Wyatt's post is basically on the money, but it ignores the fact that many people do not act rationally: they bid less than the max price they are willing to pay and/or the maximum they are willing to pay changes based the situation.

Both of these actions are rational. The first is rational (if ill-informed); the consumer believes that by bidding lower, he can get the item for a lower price. Even if this is not true, it is the belief that determines rationality.

The second action is also perfectly rational. There is no property of goods that states the relative value of a good to a consumer will remain constant, which would change the amount a bidder is willing to pay based on current circumstances.
Reply Quote
Wyatt! Wyatt! Wyatt!

Bid what you are willing to pay and you will never be sniped; you will only beaten by people willing to pay more.
Reply Quote
View profile
The way the AH is really played:

Step one: Bid low on an item, get a refund and keep an eye on it.

Step two: Snip item in the last 15 seconds.
Reply Quote
Too many people believe that simply being outbid means evil sniping is going on.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]