Diablo® III

AH Bidding Problem

02/28/2013 03:18 PMPosted by Shango
Let's say i have 300million gold, I put a bid of 150million on an item, someone else bids 200million, I still have 150million to bid, why can't I bummp my bid up to 300million? currently I can't, it says not enough funds.

if that happens you would be immediately outbid and the current bid will ber something like 150mil+5% . you will get your refund and you can bid 300mil if you want. but if you choose to change your max bid at the last minute (1 second) before the auction ends, then you may not get the chance to rebid.

considering the max bid exploit is gone, you should bid your max as your final bid
Reply Quote
I've had issues where I would bid on an item and it takes my gold but doesn't show up on my bids section, and when I search for it again its not there anymore. And it wasn't bought out because if it was then I would've gotten my money back. Some glitchy problems I've seen running into with the Gold auction house.
Reply Quote
I'm sorry did a blue poster say that the AH is designed to nullify sniping?

Like :".......No need to babysit a bid and make sure you don't get "sniped""

I dont even know what to say....i just keep typing these vile septic rants......and then deleting them without posting it...

Unbelievable....

that's because you are trying to lowball. instead of making your best offer.

eg: if i were willing to pay 1.5billion on an item, even if you wanted to snipe at the last minute with a lowball offer, you would lose unless you exceeded 1.5billion. thats the point that is being made.

lowballers have to bear the risk of being sniped. those who offer truthful bids either win or lose because someone outbidded them

actually I'm not lowballing anything, if anything I pay more than what the item is worth, because I bid at the last second for the items I want. becuase if i place a big high proxy bid, it will simply be trumped and i will have no item upgrade.

the items wanted are much more scarce than the players with MILLIONS AND BILLIONS of gold they can use to acquire the items.

its those people whose bids I have shoved off the table with 2 seconds left for anyone to even consider bidding, that I'm ranting in defense of.

how high and honorable and well estimated a persons proxy bid happens to be, is irrelevant because their is simply too much competition; countless thousands of players who have so much gold it makes me want to vomit. if I wont be there to snipe an auction...I wont win it. period.

I would place my proxy bid, and in the hours that go by, someone will come along and drop just enough money to win the item. this has happened to me so consistently, i stopped bidding..it was a waste of time.

unless its some obscure piece that is not really in demand. Tank items for instance. When every one and their dog is after "trifecta".

I started doing what was being done to me and I started winning auctions virtually every time.

The fact that trifecta items exist is quite frankly an embarrassment but thats a nother topic.

and on the other side of things...is how quickly great items get bought out. the very second that the item is posted....thats equally stupid.

oh so the first bot that does the scan and spots the item on the database snaps the item up?

yeah good one. great job guys.
Reply Quote

actually I'm not lowballing anything, if anything I pay more than what the item is worth, because I bid at the last second for the items I want. becuase if i place a big high proxy bid, it will simply be trumped and i will have no item upgrade.

This is always gonna happen in auctioning, which is why real life auctions take like 5 min w/ every bidder on the spot. All they can do for D3 AH is to make sniping a little harder, but bidding @ the last min is always gonna be optimal. Obv they have to ban bots but that's a different issue...
Reply Quote

This is always gonna happen in auctioning, which is why real life auctions take like 5 min w/ every bidder on the spot. All they can do for D3 AH is to make sniping a little harder, but bidding @ the last min is always gonna be optimal. Obv they have to ban bots but that's a different issue...

Sadly yes bidding at the last minute will always be optimal. Sadly.

of course it hurts the quality of auctions, and I love your description of real live auctions. it really puts things into perspective. well here's hoping for the best.
Edited by Shurgosa#1196 on 2/28/2013 5:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
There's still incentive to bid only at the last second though, as might be inferred from some of the comments in this thread. I don't think this is a particularly bad thing, just something interesting people might want to think about.

The reason is people don't always behave rationally. If for example you bid 200m on an item very early on, you're giving other people all the time in the world to decide whether they want to outbid you or not. It's not as simple as "Person A cannot outbid me because they don't have 200m+ gold"

For example, maybe someone else was only planning to bid 175m, so he would've lost if all went according to plan. However seeing his bids fail to trump the current max bid so many times might make him pissed enough to overstretch himself slightly and pay more than he intended - he might end up talking himself into forking out 210m which pips your bid, you don't want to give other people even the opportunity to do that. By only bidding at the last second you hide as much information as possible from any other bidders. Even the fact that a bid on an item exists is plenty of information for the saavy buyer.

Now conversely, if we run with this assumption we can also say that any bids that are not placed at the last minute are just 'convenience' bids, for the sake of having the listing show up in that person's bid tab. There may be some people that legitimately can't log on at the expiry time of the auction so this is their only recourse, but by and large I'm pretty confident in saying that most bids placed early on are just for the sake of saving the listing in their bid tab.

It also follows that the size of the bids on an item while it is still early on in the auction can give you a clue as to what the final bidding range will be, as it tells you how much 'loose cash' people are willing to dump just for the convenience of saving the listing. If someone is wealthy enough to bid up a trifecta ring to 500m early on, they probably have at least a billion gold still on hand to dump in the final moments of the auction.
Edited by Myon#1319 on 2/28/2013 5:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
AH biding is never a problem if you are Billionaires....
Reply Quote
that's because you are trying to lowball. instead of making your best offer.

Lowball? Sellers should not list an item for less than what they are willing to take.

See also: "I forgot to add another zero to the price."

no, you are low balling against OTHER BUYERS who are willing to pay more.

if you are just bidding (current bid+5%) at the last 15 seconds against someone who bids their max amount (that they are willing to pay against all other buyers at the last 15 seconds) you are going to lose no matter how you snipe at the last second if you are lower than his bid.

---
yes., personally i prefer every bid extends the auction end time by 1hr. this will
a) eliminate last minute sniping
b) realise the real value of the item.
Edited by chrisloup#6305 on 2/28/2013 6:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/28/2013 10:44 AMPosted by Wyatt Cheng
That's how it used to work, but it made shill bidding (the practice of having friends bid your item up higher and higher to search for the bidder's max bid, then stop when it is found without ever taking a risk of exceeding it) an issue. Your bid was not truly hidden when the auctions worked that way.

This is correct.

How is this correct?
How could they (fake bidders) stop 'when max bid is found' WITHOUT risking exceeding it?
Fake bidders did not know what was the real bidder's max bid was.
Unless there is something I am missing... (plz let me know)
To me they just risk to outbid the real bidder, keeping the item for themselves with the 15% fee (in their face!)

I find it very bad seeing someone winning an auction at the price I was the first willing to pay for. (Since today when person2 takes the action to outbid person1, ownership of person1 max bid becomes person2's bid, with the exact same amount)

Of course, I encourage fighting against collusion, but there must be a better option than getting MY max bid 'stolen'
Edited by Yiriba#1816 on 2/28/2013 6:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
02/28/2013 04:46 PMPosted by Shurgosa

unless its some obscure piece that is not really in demand. Tank items for instance. When every one and their dog is after "trifecta".

I agree that some of the top items are uber rare. But you can find hundreds of items better than your current gear at market value. This shouldn't be a problem. And bids typically go for less than actaul value.
Reply Quote
02/28/2013 07:56 AMPosted by Rezhial
Am I the only one who waits for a few minutes left on the item and just completely over bids? IE 10 mil on a 500k item. This way, I know no one will out bid and I am returned the 9.5 mil refund (or close to that obviously). My last big one was I sniped a Lacuni's at 500k, and resold it at 8mil. Works like a charm. I thought it was bugged, good to know I can continue to do this without issue.

This might work until someone does the same thing you do and you end up paying 10x the market price for something. Why wouldn't you just bid the maximum you are willing to pay? You're gambling gold...and for what?
Reply Quote
View profile
I would place my proxy bid, and in the hours that go by, someone will come along and drop just enough money to win the item. this has happened to me so consistently, i stopped bidding..it was a waste of time.

That's the point. If you are not online at the end of the auction you have a lower chance of winning because you cannot rebid. This has nothing to do with how people bid or how much people bid or when people bid. An auction is ALWAYS going to see the most active bidders right before it ends.
Reply Quote
View profile
How is this correct?
How could they (fake bidders) stop 'when max bid is found' WITHOUT risking exceeding it?
Fake bidders did not know what was the real bidder's max bid was.
Unless there is something I am missing... (plz let me know)
To me they just risk to outbid the real bidder, keeping the item for themselves with the 15% fee (in their face!)

I find it very bad seeing someone winning an auction at the price I was the first willing to pay for. (Since today when person2 takes the action to outbid person1, ownership of person1 max bid becomes person2's bid, with the exact same amount)

Of course, I encourage fighting against collusion, but there must be a better option than getting MY max bid 'stolen'

Your misunderstanding must have to do with your age... I have a feeling you are kind of young and not quite understanding this.

For example... if an item has the "Current Bid = 500"... then you come along and bid "700"... it says you are not winning but the bid is "700" now. This means the other person has already bid MORE than 700. He may have bid 800... or 900... you won't know and that's the point. He is winning the auction at 700, the same price you bid... but he already bid a higher max bid. He already said he was willing to pay more for that item before you did. Say his max bid was 1000... well you come along and bid 700 right? Well the other guy already said he would pay 1000. In auctions its about the FIRST person to bid an amount. So technically you came and bid 700... but you werent the FIRST person to bid 700... you were the second.

Before, there was a way to bid a little bit each time... it would say "you are not winning" or whatever because you didn't bid high enough to pass the other persons max bid... but once you got to the other person's max bid... and you still weren't winning... you could tell. So the person would stop bidding. And all they did was drive the price up for the other buyer. Ebay has the same type of bidding system and has to battle the same types of fraudulent bids.
Edited by SmokeyBuddha#1925 on 2/28/2013 7:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
Lol yeah, for the ones who do not have basic notions of economics such as supply and demand... go ahead, bid early!
Hey look someone just had Economics 099.

Since max bid is secret, it doesn't matter when you make the bid, you are always paying at most your max bid. Enjoy.
Reply Quote
What about trolling the AH?

Say an item is worth 2bil

Some troll bids 100bil on it

Rational folk overbid to at least to 2,5bil and stop knowing it's not worth it anymore

Auction ends, troll gets 97,5bil gold refund and "a little" overpaid item

And you are telling me this is fine? The current system doesn't work the way "pay the most you will" i simply caters to idiots willing to throw all their money on one item and get away with it. Or if by "pay the most you will" you have the above in mind, then wow....

This is perfectly fine. It is the troll's money and he can risk it whatever way he likes.

And there is always the risk, that there was also another troll doing the same. Then the troll who trolled with the most money WILL have to pay the other troll's bid.
Reply Quote
02/28/2013 07:26 PMPosted by vexorian
Lol yeah, for the ones who do not have basic notions of economics such as supply and demand... go ahead, bid early!

Since max bid is secret, it doesn't matter when you make the bid, you are always paying at most your max bid. Enjoy.

Paying your max bid is one thing, actually winning the item with your max bid is not so cut and dry. If you are concerned about the latter there will always be advantages to bidding at the last moment as I described in http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7980159448?page=4#66
Reply Quote
View profile
02/28/2013 07:31 PMPosted by Myon

Paying your max bid is one thing, actually winning the item with your max bid is not so cut and dry. If you are concerned about the latter there will always be advantages to bidding at the last moment as I described in

There are those of us who have used eBay for years... and then there are those who are like 14 years old... :D
Reply Quote
Bidding at the end definitely has an advantage but i am sure a lot of people has no time to babysit the bid. This is why i think the proxy system is appropriate. It is not possible for live bidding as there are many players from different time zones and countries bidding the items
Reply Quote
02/28/2013 06:58 PMPosted by SmokeyBuddha

That's the point. If you are not online at the end of the auction you have a lower chance of winning because you cannot rebid. This has nothing to do with how people bid or how much people bid or when people bid. An auction is ALWAYS going to see the most active bidders right before it ends.

define lower. let me tell you what a lower chance is for me bidding on items. about 10%.

when I watch an item I want down to the last second my chance of winning that Item skyrockets.
because nobody who wants to out bid me can. its impossible to be outbid. the auction ended 1 second ago.

and I use proxy bidding and I fully understand how the game will "bid for you" up to your specified limit. its an amazingly cool concept and it sucks for Diablo 3

it has everything to do with how and when people bid. The way the auction house works in D3 encourages players to think "how" and "when" to bid. not just "bid"

Yes people are always going to slink around like hawks and strategically time their bid on Ebay in the real world and all over the place.

but the difference between D3 and most any other type of auction system including Ebay is

1. virtually everyone is a millionaire.
2. virtually everyone is purchasing weapons and armor.
3. everyone can wait for an auction to have, and I'm not exaggerating here, 2 seconds left for bids to be accepted.

and point number 3 is the kicker. because its not wrong that the person willing to bid the highest amount wins, its wrong that so many people who would have bid higher no longer have the chance. they may have even outbid the sniper. but unfortunately that auction end 2 seconds after you were out bid. sorry.

people are going to be willing to bid higher than their previous "maximum" this number changes. and it should be allowed to change. if you force someone to lock it in so that I will be beaten and not give them a chance to reconsider more than 1 single time. well, then I guess sniping is the way to go.

I do 95% of my buying that way because the other way simply fails me over and over and over.

oh well.....
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]