Diablo® III

Can a PS4 match a GTX 670 / core i5 PC?

The whole PC v. Console thing is interesting.

On the one hand, with a PC you can always be on the cutting edge (or close to it) by upgrading your hardware as needed. If having the best hardware is important to you and money doesn't matter, then it makes a lot of sense.

With the PS3 (or PS4), you will never be able to upgrade it's hardware. That's the problem that console users face, if upgrading hardware is important to them.

The trade-off? A $500 PS3 will last 5-7 years. For those 5-7 years, games will continue to look good and play well. There is no gaming computer that costs $500 and will continue to perform well (without upgrades) for 5-7 years. It doesn't exist.

I'm speaking as someone who owns both a computer and a PS3. I love both systems, and I believe that different games are better on different platforms. Each platform has its own strengths. But that's not really the question here.

Computers eventually outpace platforms simply because they can be upgraded with new technology as it becomes available. Having said that, upgrading hardware on a regular basis isn't free.
Edited by ballsohard#1432 on 3/1/2013 1:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
A PS3 can run any RTS since it has an 8 core CPU it was way ahead of its time and still better than most PC on the market. Me for example I have a Phenom II X2 so the PS3 is vastly superior to my CPU and even the exclusives look better than my HD 4870 card.

The reason 3rd party games look bad on PS3 is because its made for the trash box and then ported to the PS3 because devs are lazy. When the full power of the PS3 is utilized its very clear in games like God of War 3 and Metal Gear Solid 4 how many years ahead of its time it really is.

and you can't ever upgrade your PS3. You can replace it, or change the hard drive. but its specs never change, whereas PC you can.

end of story.

guess what console games are made on? certainly not a PS3 or an Xbox.
by definition and by default if you can guess, that machine must exceed those systems in order to have such detail and hi-res graphics on those consoles, ps3 and xbox.

No you can't upgrade it, but then again when I pop a game into my PS3 I know its going to run and not have hardware/software conflicts. Whereas with a PC you have that stuff happen to quite a number of people with every game that's released.

As for the OP's question no, and even it does match it It'll be outclassed technically relatively shortly if it's not already out of the box. But does it matter. Even on console, games look amazing these days. There are really only a handful of games on PC that MIGHT stress current consoles in this day and age.

Also to the guy your quoting you are right. Multiplatform games are designed with Xbox in mind first and then ported to PS3 which is part of the reason why you lose some quality between the 2, but its also PS3 architecture that does it too. It's just not as easy to program for as the Xbox is atm.
Reply Quote

On the one hand, with a PC you can always be on the cutting edge (or close to it) by upgrading your hardware as needed. If having the best hardware is important to you and money doesn't matter, then it makes a lot of sense.

With the PS3 (or PS4), you will never be able to upgrade it's hardware. That's the problem that console users face, if upgrading hardware is important to them.

The trade-off? A $500 PS3 will last 5-7 years. For those 5-7 years, games will continue to look good and play well. There is no gaming computer that costs $500 and will continue to perform well (without upgrades) for 5-7 years. It doesn't exist.

I'm speaking as someone who owns both a computer and a PS3. I love both systems, and I believe that different games are better on different platforms. Each platform has its own strengths. But that's not really the question here.

Computers eventually outpace platforms simply because they can be upgraded with new technology as it becomes available. Having said that, upgrading hardware on a regular basis isn't free.

look at it this way you don't get as many sales promotions as you do for PC games. e.g. Steam.
and upgrading a Comp doesn't cost another 500$ or 600$ like a console does. not to mention every 59.99 per title or 39-59 + controllers.
mediocre vid cards which were the best in like 3 years ago are now like only ~100 range. as opposed to the 400 they used to cost.

most games don't require a godlike processor, just a godlik vid card
Edited by KradisZ#1651 on 3/1/2013 3:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
Here id like them to take a game like supreme commander and stick it on a console again without limiting the number of troops u can have.. Then see if it can handle 2000+ units on screen.. Then i might be impressed.

While supreme commander was not graphically great. IT was a nice game and great benchmark of how well your system could handle Physx based calculations as all the units shots shields etc were all calculated in real time.

untell then the ps4 will be just another cute toy at best.

A PS3 can run any RTS since it has an 8 core CPU it was way ahead of its time and still better than most PC on the market. Me for example I have a Phenom II X2 so the PS3 is vastly superior to my CPU and even the exclusives look better than my HD 4870 card.

The reason 3rd party games look bad on PS3 is because its made for the trash box and then ported to the PS3 because devs are lazy. When the full power of the PS3 is utilized its very clear in games like God of War 3 and Metal Gear Solid 4 how many years ahead of its time it really is.

yes it could run it they did it for the xbox 360 but they had to reduce the amount of units from a few thousand to 200 max. As console's could not handle the extra processing power that was requireted to have 2000+ units on screen which in alot of RTS games having alot of small squrimishes and major ones going on at the same time brings a console to a scratching halt.
Reply Quote

look at it this way you don't get as many sales promotions as you do for PC games. e.g. Steam.
and upgrading a Comp doesn't cost another 500$ or 600$ like a console does. not to mention every 59.99 per title or 39-59 + controllers.
mediocre vid cards which were the best in like 3 years ago are now like only ~100 range. as opposed to the 400 they used to cost.

most games don't require a godlike processor, just a godlik vid card

Upgrading a PS3 (replacing it) doesn't cost $500 or $600. If someone's PS3 breaks down, they can replace it for approximately $200. Controllers are $40, not up to $60.

While you make a good point about Steam, it's not as though PS3 games never go on sale.
Reply Quote
Your GTX670 and your i5 would easily own a PS4, even though you have the so called software "overhead" that is hyped by console marketers. I would even bet $1,000 cash that the PS4 would get destroyed by your PC specs.

The so called software optimization is a big fat lie that is spread to consolers so that they will buy a new console every time with its hardware being sub-par because they think to the metal programming will give the some huge double digit performance boost.. The loss of not going to the "metal" is only in the single digits of % loss in performance. Not really worth the effort.

The Top 10 Myths of Video Game Optimization

Read this : http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/130296/the_top_10_myths_of_video_game_.php

The reason why we upgrade is because the GPU manufacturers play a corrupt con game in where they stop making driver support update for new game releases for older video card products which makes performance drop in new games which in turn makes us have to shell out money to buy a new video card.

A video card is only as good as the drivers that support it. Case in point is that AMD's HD7000 series was getting owned by Nvidia's 600 series, but then AMD got their drivers to support games better that they lead ahead of Nvidia in game benchmarks.

They also play this same con game in the supercomputer market. The Nvidia Geforce Titan is actually a version of the Tesla K20 that that they raise the price to like $3,000, but all they did was change the BIOS code on the card and removed some software code in the drivers so that it has limited compute performance.

So if you said that we PC gamers are getting raped by the video card manufacture's con games while you guys on consoles get full potential then I would agree, but your above statement about optimizations is false. It's the con game that is the reason. A good hacker could make older GPU's work with new games very well and unlock them to work as super computer cards also.

Finally, a 7800GTX for the PC, which is also in the PS3, can still play modern games if you set the resolution at 1280X720 which is what consoles play at. So you see proof that the so called software overhead is a gimmick. A good hacker could probably make it work even better if they understand the drivers.

7800GTX playing modern games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7PKpGyjqBw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPIuTOm6flc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilaUEsFzB2M
Edited by Bloodshed#1722 on 3/2/2013 1:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
@rebman i would like to comment about what you said i just did not want to have to requote everything you wrote. I agree with you that they release new cards to make more money and so forth. Alot of the older cards would keep up with todays modern cards. While technology changes they became faster the feature sets really dont change. The reason why i say ths is that yes the difference between a geforce 1 and a geforce 680 is different but the shades language is still the same. Remember back when they first came out with programmable pixel shades? Remember they can be rewritten and even updated. No one of course takes advantage of this feature of the card cause its easier to ship a new card and make more money then it is to sustain the longevity of a device.

Granted the difference between a geforce 1 and the new cards is of course faster card more throughput and alot more memory but the geforce 1 could be reprogrammed to do all the stuff the new cards could do it just would be slower.

Yes a company is out to make money but yea there kinda crooked on how fast they obsolete there technology just for the sake of doing it. There is not a program or game out there that will actually use every ounce of the hardware.
Reply Quote
Should change your name to DREAMER!
Reply Quote
You kidding me, it's playing those games at !@#$ resolution, you know how, cause the card ain't doing %^-*, the cpu is doing the work. God. Dummy down a lil.
Reply Quote
comparing console cpu to pc cpu is like comparing a car to a jet.

the console cpu is designed for linear processing which requires a lot of coding, whereas the pc cpu can handle a lot of variables like when u open a lot of applications on ur windows.
console cpu may have higher FLOPS than that of the pc but it loses in pretty much every other aspect.
Just like the car handles better on the ground than the jet, but then again, the jet is designed to fly, the car is not.

as for gpu, the one in ps4 is pretty much like a current mid tier pc gpu

"We don't know specifics of the GPU, but with approaching 2 TFLOPS we're looking at a level of performance somewhere between a Radeon HD 7850 and 7870. The highest end PC GPUs are already faster than this, but the PS4's GPU is a lot faster than the PS3's RSX which was derived from NVIDIA's G70 architecture (used in the GeForce 7800 GTX, for example). "

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6770/sony-announces-playstation-4-pc-hardware-inside
Reply Quote
why do people often ignores the fact that consoles are HARD-DRM computers?

everyones need a computer and spending an extra 300USD for gaming doesnt hurt anyone
Reply Quote
78 Pandaren Monk
Look I have core i7 and 2 gtx 670's in sli. I can see where the optimization for the PS4 comes into play. But to say that it is up to par with PC games is a little ridiculous to say the least. People today look at convenience instead of practicality.

1. Can you overclock the CPU or GPU in the PS4? No

2. Can you change or upgrade any parts in the console? No

3. What happens when a part goes bad? You have to send it off and wait a few weeks to get it back

I do agree it is easier to optimize for one CPU/GPU which means good FPS etc. But is it really worth sacrificing so much for something that will be outdated in a year. Nvidia has already released the GTX 780 and will continue to release cards where with a console it is what it is.
Reply Quote
Just because the PS4 has 8GB GDDR5 doesn't mean much. RAM is only 1 aspect of the entire system. And the 8GB has to be shared for system, apps and games if I understand what they claim. It is not 8GB dedicated to video alone. Besides, pretty much every GPU comes with GDDR5 now.

My Radeon HD 7970 GHz edition comes with 3GB GDDR5 RAM and that is video dedicated. If I want even more, which I don't see why you ever would need more any time soon, I could just pop in another card. Even the most power hungry games out right now don't require even close to 3GB of VRAM + I have 32GB of system RAM and the fastest SSD drives on the market right now. I'm pretty confident a PS4 can't even come close to the performance I get.
Reply Quote
Just because the PS4 has 8GB GDDR5 doesn't mean much. RAM is only 1 aspect of the entire system. And the 8GB has to be shared for system, apps and games if I understand what they claim. It is not 8GB dedicated to video alone. Besides, pretty much every GPU comes with GDDR5 now.

My Radeon HD 7970 GHz edition comes with 3GB GDDR5 RAM and that is video dedicated. If I want even more, which I don't see why you ever would need more any time soon, I could just pop in another card. Even the most power hungry games out right now don't require even close to 3GB of VRAM + I have 32GB of system RAM and the fastest SSD drives on the market right now. I'm pretty confident a PS4 can't even come close to the performance I get.

I doubt any sane person would think that any console could match an extreme high end gaming PC, but that's not really the point. Sure using a PC will always get better results compared to a console, but it also comes at a much higher price point. The point of owning a console is for its ease of use and low price point.

Can't really go wrong with any choice, but it is severely limiting your choices if you only chose one of them. If you like games, why not get both a badass PC and a console of your choice.
Reply Quote
Proof
http://www.dsogaming.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/0031.jpg
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]