Diablo® III

Can a PS4 match a GTX 670 / core i5 PC?

It is speculated that the PS4 GPU is a custom 7670. I think it could be closer to a 7850 imo. However, it is use AMD's APU, so it is possibly using the Crossfire idea to get a higher TFLOPS then what they are really saying.
Reply Quote
I couldn't care less about whether or not a ps4 is as powerful as a pc. The fact is that we're now in a stage of game releasing where it is far too expensive for game companies to release for only one consoles. There is a reason that exclusives come from game studios owned by the console's company or are payed for A LOT by said company to produce a game only for their system.

The new ps4 has an x86 . Why is this so great you ask? It will make programming for the console far easier since pc are x86 cpu. We're now in an age where you are very unlikely to see a pc powerhouse game come out solely for the pc. It does happen but it isn't often. What does happen far more often is a game comes out for multiple consoles and the pc. With two systems now having x86 cpu it will mean easier programming for both systems and porting for both systems. Hopefully this'll lead to better games.

The pc market is large but it doesn't touch the console market still. Any time a console is upgraded is great for a pc simply because now game companies will make games that can take advantage of pc hardware better.
Reply Quote

The pc market is large but it doesn't touch the console market still. Any time a console is upgraded is great for a pc simply because now game companies will make games that can take advantage of pc hardware better.

and thats why many pc players "hate" consoles.
Consoles are slowing the development down.

Not sure if anyone tried but I was really disappointed by the game "Darksiders 2" ... preordered it.. and it was raw console port. Ultralow textures, terrible FoV ...
Reply Quote
02/22/2013 02:17 PMPosted by Abirn
A PC will ALWAYS out perform a Console. 100% of the time.
Wow, had no idea my 8400gs card was far better than a PS4's video card.

GREAT NEWS!
Reply Quote
8GB gddr5 ram ... great .. you know that ram is also for the GPU, right ? GDDR5 has been here since GTX 5xx series. 8GB ? for what? Mine GTX 580 never ever used whole 2GB.

8 GB listed for PS4 would be shared RAM.

ie vram + memory
Reply Quote
The PS4 with the right amount of optimizations could theoretically match the visuals/performance of an i5/670gtx combo. For one, it doesn't have the massive overhead of a bloated OS or DirectX. PC's will always have more raw horsepower, but it comes at a much higher cost.

Either way, next gen. games will look amazing whether you play on a PS4 or a PC, and since they will now share a common programming language, porting games should be made to be easier than ever. More than likely, most multiplatform titles will be developed on the PC first, and then optimized for each console. This will satisfy the most hardcore PC and console gamers, and the games should look fairly similar in quality. I honestly can't wait.

02/22/2013 03:59 PMPosted by Azgoodazdead
It is speculated that the PS4 GPU is a custom 7670. I think it could be closer to a 7850 imo. However, it is use AMD's APU, so it is possibly using the Crossfire idea to get a higher TFLOPS then what they are really saying.

According to the raw floating point performance of the PS4 gpu, it is actually very close to a 7850.
Edited by half3vil#1829 on 2/22/2013 4:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/22/2013 04:05 PMPosted by Vento
8GB gddr5 ram ... great .. you know that ram is also for the GPU, right ? GDDR5 has been here since GTX 5xx series. 8GB ? for what? Mine GTX 580 never ever used whole 2GB.

8 GB listed for PS4 would be shared RAM.

ie vram + memory

even better :D
Reply Quote
So throughing cash at your PC, Makes you more of a hard core gamer? Didn't know that.
Reply Quote
02/22/2013 04:20 PMPosted by Morose
So throughing cash at your PC, Makes you more of a hard core gamer? Didn't know that.

the difference is that you can do much more than playing games on good PC. :) Thats why its worth the money.

And for those who are looking only on games, there's much much more games for PC.
But its turning to neverending console/PC gaming flames... lets quit it;) OPs question has been answered.

edit:
Although I was really envy sometimes.. I cant play God of War on PC... Alan wake was my dream.. at least that one come true :)
Edited by Bugii#1586 on 2/22/2013 4:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
02/22/2013 04:04 PMPosted by vexorian
A PC will ALWAYS out perform a Console. 100% of the time.

GREAT NEWS!

He said a PC not a toaster
Reply Quote
You guys are looking at this wrong! it won't be a 7xxx series GPU. It WILL be an 8xxx series GPU.

Look at the difference in graphics from a 6850 to a 7850.

I'm thinking this graphics processor will be an 8650 (8670, 8690). I would put it on par with a GTX 650 or a Radeon 7770.

What I would really like to see Sony do is give US the option of our video card to use. It will be interesting to see what a hardware teardown of the unit will reveal and if it will be able to change out the hardware or not.

Where are you getting your information from? This sounds like complete speculation.
Reply Quote
Anandtech said the PS4 GPU is more powerful than a HD 7850 its between a 7850 and a 7870

and because consoles dont have to deal with heavy OS like windows and its a specific hardware, it will easily match a PC with a 7870 and beyond.
Reply Quote

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/playstation-4-ps4-amd-apu-hardware,21191.html

"Next generation Radeon" The current generation Radeon is the 7xxx series. The specs and timeframes are already released for the 8xxxM chips so I don't see it being too far-fetched to think it will be based on the new architecture.

I guess it wouldn't be out of the question, since the 8 series isn't too far off, and Sony should be starting production soon too. This would be a welcome surprise.
Reply Quote
HL2
Reply Quote
02/22/2013 02:24 PMPosted by ElfenS0uL

Name me be a single PC game looks better than a good looking PS2 game in 2000 or a a good looking 360 game in 2005.

Not sure if this is a troll or just stupid.

was wondering the same thing..
Reply Quote

GREAT NEWS!

He said a PC not a toaster
My office PC is just great at being a PC.

Not all PCs are gaming rigs.

But if you really a re seriously trying to make that point. It would be ironic. A computer completely dedicated to gaming is closer to a console than a PC.
Edited by vexorian#1817 on 2/22/2013 5:13 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]