Diablo® III

Can a PS4 match a GTX 670 / core i5 PC?

The thing most people forget when they're comparing PC to Console is that a Console is a dedicated system. While a PC has to be able to do EVERYTHING and do it well, all a Console has to do is games. This tends to give them a bit of an edge over PCs in regards to gaming.

The big question will boil down to the interface, and with Consoles the interface (at least in my opinion) is rather limiting. Many games have suffered a bit as the developers have to try to figure out how to cram everything the player needs to do into eight buttons. Usually the answer is to take shortcuts and initiate such things as "auto-aim" into Hack-N-Slash games which (again in my opinion) rather defeats the purpose.
Reply Quote
The thing most people forget when they're comparing PC to Console is that a Console is a dedicated system. While a PC has to be able to do EVERYTHING and do it well, all a Console has to do is games. This tends to give them a bit of an edge over PCs in regards to gaming.

The big question will boil down to the interface, and with Consoles the interface (at least in my opinion) is rather limiting. Many games have suffered a bit as the developers have to try to figure out how to cram everything the player needs to do into eight buttons. Usually the answer is to take shortcuts and initiate such things as "auto-aim" into Hack-N-Slash games which (again in my opinion) rather defeats the purpose.

Very true. To develop for a console you get to code at the base level, while on a PC you use DirectX/OpenGL because PC's use many different CPU/GPU combinations, so it's impossible to get the level of optimizations that a console can get.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
Offline play was the dealbreaker for me for Diablo 3, now that the PS4 version will have offline play I will actually buy the game :)
Reply Quote
02/22/2013 05:25 PMPosted by Undraxis
now that the PS4 version will have offline play I will actually buy the game :)

There are a few questions regarding the "co-operative mode offline" slip in the interview. Will it be a "true" off-line mode? Or will the console still be required to be connected to the internet and verifiable while being played in this mode.

While we're at it, what does it mean by "The console players will be able to play the core game." Does this mean that there is an off-line mode that is completely different than the full game? It would kinda suck if you bought the P4 version just for the "off-line mode" only to find that the only thing you can do in this mode is Whimseyshire runs and brawling.
Reply Quote
I'm pretty sure the GTX 680 in SLI and i7 will outperform the PS4.
Edited by happynikon#1844 on 2/22/2013 5:53 PM PST
Reply Quote

And the Genesis had blast processing.

I encourage your trolling though. This is wonderful.

lol 2 scared to post on his D3 character.

Go back to WoW, casual.

Oh snap, we have a bad@ss in the house! :P
Reply Quote
This is the problem with PC enthusiasts...

When it comes to making money, it's not about raw power and benchmarks. It's about affordability and convienence.

Developers will have a single hardware and software standard to build on and they can focus 100% of their efforts and money on that.

PC developers have to account for dozens of different configurations, drivers, OS, etc...

There is nothing affordable or convienence about PCs unless you buy pre-mades from Dell, which don't run anything well.
Edited by Scourge#1319 on 2/22/2013 5:55 PM PST
Reply Quote
The ps4 is prob about the equal of a intel i3 + nvidia 480. Remember a few factors with console's

First off The 8 gb of ddr 5 memory for the ps4 is shared. Meaning they can dedicate x amount to system and or x amount to gpu. Example of this is. 2 GB of memory dedicated for graphics 6 dedicated for system and other functions. Unlike PC that most modern (non shared video cards) Have Dedicated system and Dedicated video memory.

Atm a stock Ge-force gtx 480 actually is just shy of computational power of the entire ps4 system.

Anyways. Why people think pc games cannot look most the time as good as a PC counterpart.

2 fold first off when developers design games for the pc they build the game off a snapshot. So while some people have insanely great pc's they also look at jo blow whos pc might be a few years old. Typically games built on the pc are written to be played on a wide range of hardware.

Console's on the other hand have 1 value. Eg if Timmy buys game for ps4 and Jane buys a game the hardware is identical.

Also note Console's do not have the same overhead that traditional pc's have. They have a miniature version of the os that does 1 specific task play games watch video so on so forth with in x environment. If a console had the same overhead as a pc it would choke.

Furthermore. Ps's xbox's and wii or even a snes and so forth. Have custom processor archtype.
While it may be based of say as an example a i5 or a i3 or even a intel core 2. The processor in a console is designed to run in parallel with other system devices. Something that most consumer level pc's do not do.

Xbox 360 does in fact use Direct X. It also uses a less resource intensive version of windows based of win NT 2k with way less overhead. Not to mention The version of direct x for the Xbox 360 can actually talk to the hardware directly without the need of the direct x services. The api is still used for Pixel calls and input commands. But actuall hand off of info is handed metal to metal,

Ps3 while it uses Linux and Open GL /AL components it still has the ability to Hand info over at the direct hardware level.

Your Iphone 4s has almost as much computing power as the xbox 360 and ps3. From a gaming standpoint and is technically a tad bit more powerfull then the PS vita.

Gaming on the iPhone 4S has been likened to the PlayStation Vita,] that features the same SGX GPU only in a quad-core configuration, and the Nintendo 3DS handheld game consoles. Further, the iPhone 4S' ability to process 80 million polygons per second has been compared to the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360 home video game consoles that can process 275 million and 500 million polygons per second respectively.
Edited by Sorsha#1578 on 2/22/2013 6:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
I would pay money to see a PlayStation that outperforms a QuadSLI GTX595 / i7 3960X / 32GB DDR3 RAM.
Reply Quote
02/22/2013 05:59 PMPosted by Nikolai
I would pay money to see a PlayStation that outperforms a QuadSLI GTX595 / i7 3960X / 32GB DDR3 RAM.

it wont ever happen.
Reply Quote
02/22/2013 06:01 PMPosted by Sorsha

it wont ever happen.

I know, that's why I posted that :P
Reply Quote
02/22/2013 05:53 PMPosted by Scourge
This is the problem with PC enthusiasts...

Not so much. I play both consoles and PCs, and find myself wishing many of my PC games would come out on console if for no other reason that the chair I use while playing console games is just more comfortable than the one at my computer desk.

The problem I tend to have with consoles is that the console version of most games seems "stripped down" in one way or another. Using Skyrim as an example (only because it has been brought up in the discussion previously) the console version of the game just "felt" different as I played it (leaving aside the Morrowind > Oblivion > Skyrim debate for now).

All that aside, I completely understand why a gaming company that previously concentrated on PCs would be looking at porting to consoles now. The fact of the matter is PCs are in decline. With how inexpensive tablets have become, most people simply have no need or desire to dump a thousand or so into a PC that's basically going to be taking up space in a corner somewhere. Simply put, unlike the console market the PC market is shrinking dramatically... And development companies are going to naturally gravitate to where the market is.
Reply Quote

it wont ever happen.

I know, that's why I posted that :P

Like i said before your iphone user has about as much power in the palm of there hand as a xbox 360 and ps3. Iphone 4s is more powerfull then the ps vita in some respects. The difference is they can text and make phone calls on it <3
Edited by Sorsha#1578 on 2/22/2013 6:15 PM PST
Reply Quote

Thanks, I needed the laugh.

Care to take a guess on how many people are willing to dump $1500 into that system versus the number of people willing to fork over $300 for the PS4?
Reply Quote
View profile
^ so with the ubber optimizations that consoles come with, its safe to say that the PS4 can produce graphics/performance of a PC that carries a GTX 670 / core i5

And possibly more powerful than a GTX 660 and a core i3 right?

Especially since it has 8GB GDDR5 RAM which no PC can find?

I just want to make sure graphics in PS4 is good enough so they can start focusing on gameplay now.

Are you ignoring the fact that it usually takes a few years before the software actually takes advantage of all those optimized hardware abilities of a new console?

Top of the line hardware for pc already is ahead of the ps4, it's just not the strongpoint of consoles. What is however is that they are dirt cheap compared to comparable pc configurations.

Not to mention it takes at least as long to learn to program efficiently enough for them to have a game that's amazing looking and also longer than 10-15 hours of playtime.
Reply Quote
There is a reason ORNL used NVIDIA for the basis of their new supercomputer. PCs will always outshine consoles in terms of raw processing power. Did anyone see the fps on 3 way sli titans for d3? Granted d3 is not not crysis or metro but no console would do that. With that said no computer can match price vs performance of a console. Pick your battle.
Reply Quote
Take note that the graphic quality of games on a console at launch will not be as good as they can be, because the developers don't know all the tricks to optimize them. Think of it this way, both Oblivion and Skyrim were released on the Xbox 360, but one has much more "system requirements" than the other. During those years between release, optimization techniques were discovered.
Reply Quote
How is some D3 player going to call a WoW player Casual, if your playing D3 more than the average wow player, i feel sorry for you wasting so much time. Let me guess that 123,532th act 3 run finally got you to paragon 27, "Khul story bro" only 33 more of those sweet endgame levels. Maybe its all that wicked cool Gold farming, you know killing the same 12 mobs types over and over, to go adventure in the Auction house? Diablo 3 is perfect for consoles, you know why, Cause the game is only worth 100- hours. WoW is alot more worthy of being a game people play "hardcore". D3 is a girl you thought was awesome till you got to know her, great for the first few hours, but a boring commitment. Also after looking at your chars, looks like your still in that fun phase Vento.
Posted on my Wow character, because i play it often unlike D3 (wich isnt horrable) just isnt a game meant to have that much longevity. As much as you wish it will never be D2.

...and then there's this guy.
Reply Quote
02/22/2013 05:59 PMPosted by Nikolai

I am just drooling...

How much does it actually cost? Is it like buying a car?
Edited by Alloppy#1574 on 2/22/2013 8:09 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]