Diablo® III

Can a PS4 match a GTX 670 / core i5 PC?

The ps4 is prob about the equal of a intel i3 + nvidia 480. Remember a few factors with console's

First off The 8 gb of ddr 5 memory for the ps4 is shared. Meaning they can dedicate x amount to system and or x amount to gpu. Example of this is. 2 GB of memory dedicated for graphics 6 dedicated for system and other functions. Unlike PC that most modern (non shared video cards) Have Dedicated system and Dedicated video memory.

Atm a stock Ge-force gtx 480 actually is just shy of computational power of the entire ps4 system.

Anyways. Why people think pc games cannot look most the time as good as a PC counterpart.

2 fold first off when developers design games for the pc they build the game off a snapshot. So while some people have insanely great pc's they also look at jo blow whos pc might be a few years old. Typically games built on the pc are written to be played on a wide range of hardware.

Console's on the other hand have 1 value. Eg if Timmy buys game for ps4 and Jane buys a game the hardware is identical.

Also note Console's do not have the same overhead that traditional pc's have. They have a miniature version of the os that does 1 specific task play games watch video so on so forth with in x environment. If a console had the same overhead as a pc it would choke.

Furthermore. Ps's xbox's and wii or even a snes and so forth. Have custom processor archtype.
While it may be based of say as an example a i5 or a i3 or even a intel core 2. The processor in a console is designed to run in parallel with other system devices. Something that most consumer level pc's do not do.

Xbox 360 does in fact use Direct X. It also uses a less resource intensive version of windows based of win NT 2k with way less overhead. Not to mention The version of direct x for the Xbox 360 can actually talk to the hardware directly without the need of the direct x services. The api is still used for Pixel calls and input commands. But actuall hand off of info is handed metal to metal,

Ps3 while it uses Linux and Open GL /AL components it still has the ability to Hand info over at the direct hardware level.

Your Iphone 4s has almost as much computing power as the xbox 360 and ps3. From a gaming standpoint and is technically a tad bit more powerfull then the PS vita.

Gaming on the iPhone 4S has been likened to the PlayStation Vita,] that features the same SGX GPU only in a quad-core configuration, and the Nintendo 3DS handheld game consoles. Further, the iPhone 4S' ability to process 80 million polygons per second has been compared to the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360 home video game consoles that can process 275 million and 500 million polygons per second respectively.

Well since you mention the PS4 can match a core i3 and GTX 480 I can certainly live with that.

Seriously thats an incredibly powerful specs. Now that we know the PS4 can do all the graphics we would need in 1080p its safe for devs to start focusing on gameplay now.

I personally never saw the need to go beyond Crysis 1 level of graphics. And from the looks of it a GTX 480 / core i3 can run Crysis just fine.
Reply Quote
02/23/2013 06:22 AMPosted by DovahKage
Excuse me but 2 GTX 690 with SLI is 8GB GDDR5 ram

your 2 gtx 690 have 2GB of effective VRAM though ( 2gb per GPU ) ... thats not much for all the horespower you have .... actually, its not future proof at all and imagine you are hitting a big bottleneck on high resolutions with AA ..

if i were you i'd sell them for something with much more available VRAM.. ( 2 titans SLI are benchmarking more efficiently than 2 690's - 6GB effective VRAM )
Edited by MGH#1860 on 2/23/2013 6:32 AM PST
Reply Quote
Without a shadow of a doubt..

Yes, it could run BF3 at PC level max'ed out graphics.

The GPU-APU combo is comparable to a high end GTX 660Ti, or mid range 670. This is not taking into account the more efficient architecture and gaming-centric OS. The PS4 will run any current-day PC game at its highest settings, the most exciting thing about this is that consoles wont be holding back advancements in PC-Gaming anymore (Yay!).

LOL ok this is all l need to know.

IF PS4 can run BF3 on High then I am set for life I won't need to buy another console or PC till I die LOL even a HD 6870 and core i3 does more than enough graphics I will ever need.

Heck I am still using a HD 4870 because the visuals it produces is more than I have ever needed.
I am more concerned about gameplay since there is only a certain level of graphics you really need.

But I am just happy that consoles have reached this level of power so all the ports will be epic.
Reply Quote
02/22/2013 02:19 PMPosted by Rognar
A PC will ALWAYS out perform a Console. 100% of the time.

Name me be a single PC game looks better than a good looking PS2 game in 2000 or a a good looking 360 game in 2005.

in that time Consoles give the best graphics+comodity.. Why choose console? best games in market will run in that machine after years.. with lower graphics than PC but will run.. a good PC right now can run everything but in a few years wil not even in low graphics..

to be precise in your question.. i invite you to read an interview to the Leader of Crytek (Crysis).. he explains in a really good way, why PC will always overcome the consoles, saying in top of that.. that their Graphic Engine its prepare for the new generation, and top tier Gaming PC's..
Reply Quote
Most of the world prefer to sit by their family with a console and in front of a Tv. I love computers and I have a very good one. But I prefer my home theater any day. And Microsoft and Sony both make computers......

How is that relevant to the question? Specs and graphs wise, Pc will always be king. Consoles are just dedicated gaming "pc's" with outdated hardware.
Edited by Amiscar#2951 on 2/23/2013 8:27 AM PST
Reply Quote
This is actually a funny post in a way, remember what happened with xboxs and ps3s, overheating issues?!?!? i guarantee the same thing will be happening with these systems, and i cant believe i saw a post where someone said a ps4 will be better then pcs.. lol, that will never happen.... ever i guess people dont realize what having a business is all about... MAKING MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!! not pleasing consumers..
Reply Quote
The PC will always be a better and more practical choice. Consoles are game dedicated computers and as such they excel as a gaming platform. Consoles are very expensive, upgrading a console would mean a change of the whole gaming unit as opposed to increasing RAM or video card capabilities.

With that said, the only reason i would be interested in purchasing a PS4 would be to play the newest metal gear game.
Reply Quote
02/23/2013 08:29 AMPosted by Benjy
This is actually a funny post in a way, remember what happened with xboxs and ps3s, overheating issues?!?!? i guarantee the same thing will be happening with these systems, and i cant believe i saw a post where someone said a ps4 will be better then pcs.. lol, that will never happen.... ever i guess people dont realize what having a business is all about... MAKING MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!! not pleasing consumers..

When PS4 comes out, it will be better than a lot of PCs out there playing games. Check out steampowered.com. The single most popular video card is intel HD3000 and intel graphics are like 12% of the total steam base lol.

Looking at the steampowered stats, I'd say MAAYBE up to 20% of the PCs surveyed have objectively better video card (on paper) than PS4 .
Edited by Monsta#1979 on 2/23/2013 9:32 AM PST
Reply Quote
02/23/2013 09:18 AMPosted by LilRedHood
The PC will always be a better and more practical choice. Consoles are game dedicated computers and as such they excel as a gaming platform. Consoles are very expensive, upgrading a console would mean a change of the whole gaming unit as opposed to increasing RAM or video card capabilities.

You must understand that consoles have about a 5-7 year lifespan, and PC's usually don't, acquiring PC enthusiasts to upgrade every 2-3 years as operating systems aren't catered to just gaming as opposed to consoles, who's operating systems are geared only for gaming and require a lot less resources. Also, most games are optimized and are cross plat forming today. What was the last game you played that's exclusively on PC that made you feel good about owning the type of specs you have? If it's only 1-3 games, then it's just not worth having a supped up PC. Look at uncharted 3? Or God of War 3? These games are running on about 256-512 mb of ram! Imagine how well they could optimize games on the console now.
Reply Quote
^ but the thing is the PS4 has 8GB OF GDDR5 RAM

No PC has this.

Plus light OS and no Direct X and very optimized games.

Won't a PS4 then atleast match a GTX 670 + core i5 PC?

Name me a console that has an 8gb graphics card right now. There is none. You're making an argument using a graphics card that won't show up in a console until LATE this year. How do you even know what graphics cards for the PC will available then? There are already PC video cards with 6gb of memory. And the newest Nvidia card released here any day now has 8gb.
Reply Quote

No PC has this.

Plus light OS and no Direct X and very optimized games.

Won't a PS4 then atleast match a GTX 670 + core i5 PC?

Name me a console that has an 8gb graphics card right now. There is none. You're making an argument using a graphics card that won't show up in a console until LATE this year. How do you even know what graphics cards for the PC will available then? There are already PC video cards with 6gb of memory. And the newest Nvidia card released here any day now has 8gb.

The ps4 does not have a 8gb graphics card it has 8 gb of dedicated memory that can be shared between graphics card and system. Useable they have 7-6.5 gb ..

the first lower block of that 8gb is dedicated to low level hardware (all systems conform to this) including pc's

To put a Ps4 into a relative term as far as a pc would be concerned.

ps4 = this pc

intel i3 quad core
8gb system memory
nvidia geforce 480 (shared memory)
Reply Quote
The thing is, most games won't require even close to the amount of memory the PS4 has. The main reason they are adding so much ram is so that when you shut down the console, everything is basically suspended to ram. They want to have everything - game state and anything else going on saved to memory so that when you get back to the console, everything is in the same state as you left it. That is what takes a huge amount of ram, not the game itself.

I have a Radeon Double D HD7970 GHz Edition with 3GB of GDDR5 and I can play anything on maximum settings and probably barely use the full 3GB of RAM. BF3 on ultra settings, everything maxed only uses a little over 2GB of RAM. I can't see them coming out with games anytime soon that would require 8GB of dedicated VRAM. That's a hell of a lot of textures for 1 game.

That's the good thing about pc's. If there comes a time when games require more ram, I just have to pop in another HD7970 beside the one I have or even a 3rd if want to get a stupid amounts of GPU power. By the time I need the upgrade, these cards will be dirt cheap. Try doing that with a console.

Plus, I have 32GB of system RAM for all the background crap and can add another 32GB fairly cheap and with an i7 3930, background processes are not a problem. Also with my SSD, windows boots in about 15 seconds.
Edited by BlayneRTFM#1654 on 2/23/2013 12:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/22/2013 02:19 PMPosted by Rognar
A PC will ALWAYS out perform a Console. 100% of the time.

Name me be a single PC game looks better than a good looking PS2 game in 2000 or a a good looking 360 game in 2005.

must be a troll,.... but ill bite, NOTHING can touch crysis on max settings w/ physic accelerator (thats not on pc) or BF3/Fary cry 3 Maxed settings as well....
Reply Quote

No PC has this.

Excuse me but 2 GTX 690 with SLI is 8GB GDDR5 ram... What will be different is the hardware optimization of the RAM where you have 8GB GDDR5 SYSTEM RAM. This gives you far faster RAM and more bandwidth between CPU-RAM-GPU than is currently capably in today's PCs.

One thing I find astounding is that the previous gen of consoles didn't have a lot of RAM considering that RAM was very cheap even back then.

It's still effectively 4GB of GDDR5, as they cannot be shared.
Reply Quote
02/23/2013 01:16 PMPosted by PointBlank69

must be a troll,.... but ill bite, NOTHING can touch crysis on max settings w/ physic accelerator (thats not on pc) or BF3/Fary cry 3 Maxed settings as well....

Are you a completely brain dead retard?

You listed one 2007 game that can't be maxed out until 2010, one 2011 game, one 2012 game, and you want to compare them to console and game that came out in 2005? LOLOLOLOLOLOL.
Reply Quote
02/23/2013 01:16 PMPosted by PointBlank69

lol reading comprehension /facepalm
Reply Quote
im running my pc with
Windows 7 Ultimate, 64Bit
2nd Generation Intel Core i7-3960X Overclocked to 4.2 GHz
32GB Quad Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz
GTX 690 4GB GDDR5

i seriously doubt that the ps4 will even be able to come near my pc
Reply Quote
and btw who uses a I5 anymore jesus upgrade your self
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]