Diablo® III

The Salvation of Diablo 3: A Guide by Gosu

They have probably looked at it and thought "too much work trying to balance this !@#$. %^-* it"
Mind = blown.
Hire this man for game director.

Please?

Pretty please?

Pretty please with sugar on top?
Wow. Phenomenal post. I didn't read all of the post, just hit the highlights. Like the endless dungeon system and endless MP system.

I was kinda disappointed you didnt mention more (maybe I missed it, if I did I apologize) about class specific items. You hit on the prime system making itemization better, which to me sounds great. I'd also like to see those class specific items roll class specific stats. Getting a crossbow with a bonus to a witch doctor skill is depressing (yes, I actually found one...I thought, "Really?!").

I also will give you a +1 on the additional skill system you comprised. I'd only add, players get access to that tree upon reaching a certain level...i.e. Para 1.

Fantastic post! I was thinking about an endless dungeon type instance since d3 came out. Maybe a way to implement this type of dungeon would be to require the player to achieve a certain paragon level before being able to enter. In fact i think blizz could implement a variety of new dungeons or additional rewards for players who reach designated paragon levels.
+1

On a side note, thank you for not only showing a deficiency, but you provided alternatives which may help to alleviate the issue. I grow tired of reading all the complaints...and the scattered ideas of how to fix them.

Thank you for your feedback, sir. I actually go into incredible detail about class specific affixes! Please read the nephalem power section!

Also, I make mention of said affixes and elaborate further on them in many different areas of the post :)
I agree with almost all that you have stated, I don't think they will accept the skill tree though as its not "Welcoming enough" and apparently thats not what they want to do. If it was less a tree they might do it.

I do think that crafting and itemization needs a rehaul, its why I haven't played in so long. Perhaps if we can keep this post on the front page long enough by keeping it active it will get the notice it needs.

Allow me to make one quick "correction" I don't actually think that the Nephalem Power point syste should be a literal skill tree. I was more envisioning a window that you open up with a list of choices to invest points into. Also, NP points would only be available on top tier'd gear, meaning that lower level players who are still learning the game would not be subjected to its complexity.

Please remember that I also believe that many of the systems I've layed out have a lot of room for improvement. They are fairly basic in their concepts and I'm certain that, with a lot of testing and brainstorming, they could exist in ways that are even better/cooler than how I described them.
Bump +1
Amazing posts I agree if they implimented a lot of this stuff it would turn diablo3 from a good game into an absolutely fricking amazing game!
90 Orc Hunter
Amazing read. Obviously the OP put tons of effort into this. I especially like and agree with the "challange" portion. Hopefully this will be read by someone that matters and taken into careful consideration.
Some seem a bit exaggerated, like some of the ideas for wizard, which is my main. They are too powerful even at first glance, once something like that wouldve been incorporated into the game, people wouldve started working out the synergies and the insane potential for them is a nice idea, nonetheless it would quickly create couple of 'exploit' ideas I guess.
However, I understand that these are just foundations and it might actually work out, at least to a degree, in conjunction with the other changes, like multiplayer ones.
I think, for example Meteors, they can be playable with efficiency and fun even now, its just that the itemization makes it so plain and looong to build for them, just stacking *lots* of *needed* stats, as you've mentioned; as well as the build being somewhat inferior to the unquestionable top2 ( for sure the most popular ) - CM/sns and archon.

They are only too powerful when viewed as if they were already existing within the current version of the game. I think that every class should have a LOT of abilities like the ones I listed. Obviously some number tweaking would be in order, but I'm totally confident that many of the suggestions I listed could work very well.

You want to have a game where most skills sound so freakin awesome that you just don't know which ones to pick, not a game where the majority of skills are bland and you have to find someway to make them work (which is literally impossible with most of the skills in the current game, especially considering the state of itemization).

Where finding a way to make something work is concerned, such efforts should only apply to finding a way to make something work AMAZINGLY well. The "Global Impact" meteor rune, for example, would not work equally well with any combination of skills and gear. You could easily run into a scenario where you're using the skill in such a way where it just isn't very strong in comparison to so many of your other choices.

However, when properly geared and specc'd, that rune/skill could be incredibly powerful! That is what I want to see happen in this game. I want an enormous number of choices and an enormous number of ways to make those choices better or worse!

I didn't say that meteor was impossible to use in today's version of the game. It is simply so much less efficient and fun than it could and should be when paired with proper gear and skills. There are skills that are so incredibly superior, no matter how you gear or spec, that it makes choosing and using the skill feel very lame :(
Also, I didn't say that freeze on hit, in essence, was bad. I sad that it's too similar to it's counterpart - stun on hit. What is the point of having blind, freeze, stun, knockback, chill and slow when they all accomplish almost the exact same thing? 3 of them render the enemy "stunned", while the others serve to keep distance between you and your attackers more often and for longer periods of time. Why are 6 affixes needed to accomplish these 2 things?

Perhaps they should find a way to differentiate them a bit more rather than scrap it like they did elemental damage/resists. Not saying you said to scrap it. Quick example...frozen enemies remain chilled once unfrozen, chilled enemies take more damage from cold for duration of chill along with slower movement, blinded enemies have a lower chance to hit for a duration after regaining vision, stunned enemies take more damage while stunned or have dodge ability removed during duration, knockback is just fine I think(maybe have ways to increase knockback length), slow could perhaps lower not only movement speed, but attack speed and reduce dodge chance as well. Just a thought. I know those do a few of those things but I was just giving full examples.
What is the point of you writing this up?

You realize people have !@#$%ed about the game already and wrote giant wall of texts that were just ignored.

What makes you think that your wall of text will change anything?

Waste of time bro, sorry.

+1

That's okay. I didn't go into this thinking that I was going to be the savior of Diablo 3. I did it because I have a passion for the game and I thought that this was the best chance I had in making a difference. If it goes by unnoticed then all I can say is that I tried my best. I want the game to succeed and it was my prerogative to invest whatever time reflected the value that I place on the future of this game.
A very well thought out and constructive post. Some great ideas and needed clarifications on some of D3's biggest issues...right on!
Wonderful post. Especially liked the part about itemization, as it is, in my opinion, the BIGGEST flaw in the current state of the game. I have been saying since release that the game needs more UNIQUE affixes on items. Legendaries should be worn not for their ZOMGBBQ numbers, but for that one crazy affix that opens up another way to play your character.

Well done.
GOSU, Thanks for putting so much time into the OP(s)! You have lots of great ideas. I really like the look of the crafting updates, endless monster power mode, neverending dungeon, heritage skills and multiplayer instances.

I'm a bit more skeptical when it comes to the prime item system. While I think it's very creative, my concern is that the Auction House and rune system make it so easy to switch gear and skills that it it wouldn't take long for the community to discover which set of affixes is optimal. It would be exciting at first to experiment with new and interesting affixes, but at the end of the day players will still min/max based on what is proven to be best. If the new affixes turned out to be useless, players would grumble about the lack of diversity; if the new affixes turned out to be amazing, players would grumble because their existing gear would be relatively weak in the new metagame. Itemization is such a brutally tough code to crack, and I commend your attempt at doing so!

IMHO, the easiest way for Blizzard to fix the lack of item diversity is to find a way to better balance existing affixes, not add a whole range of new affixes that will further complicate things and make it more difficult to balance in the future.
02/28/2013 02:33 PMPosted by Utukka
Also, I didn't say that freeze on hit, in essence, was bad. I sad that it's too similar to it's counterpart - stun on hit. What is the point of having blind, freeze, stun, knockback, chill and slow when they all accomplish almost the exact same thing? 3 of them render the enemy "stunned", while the others serve to keep distance between you and your attackers more often and for longer periods of time. Why are 6 affixes needed to accomplish these 2 things?

Perhaps they should find a way to differentiate them a bit more rather than scrap it like they did elemental damage/resists. Not saying you said to scrap it. Quick example...frozen enemies remain chilled once unfrozen, chilled enemies take more damage from cold for duration of chill along with slower movement, blinded enemies have a lower chance to hit for a duration after regaining vision, stunned enemies take more damage while stunned or have dodge ability removed during duration, knockback is just fine I think(maybe have ways to increase knockback length), slow could perhaps lower not only movement speed, but attack speed and reduce dodge chance as well. Just a thought. I know those do a few of those things but I was just giving full examples.

That's fine and all, but then you have to take into consideration the amount of impact that each of these affixes has on the way you play the game as opposed to the other affixes that are competing for those affix slots. We don't want to run into a situation where affixes have little to no affect on the way you play the game.

"frozen enemies remain chilled once unfrozen, chilled enemies take more damage from cold for duration of chill along with slower movemen"

There are a great number of implied mechanics in this idea. Implied mechanics are things that many players will not understand because there is simply no visible explanation for the mechanic. outside of its visual function. Where would you describe to someone how such an affix actually works? While I don't think the idea is a bad one in essence, it makes one wonder how even experienced players would understand it without having to look it up.
90 Undead Monk
Granted I only read through section 1, I have a high level of confidence that more work was put into this post than I've done all month.
PRIME POWER LOOT SYSTEM PROPOSAL:

The prime power loot system is a system that attempts to achieve the following.

• Improve overall itemization
• Improve the enjoyment players receive during the loot hunt
• VASTLY Improve item-oriented build variety
• Improve player ability to FIND their own gear
• Alleviate the issue of players always having a clear cut path where desired stats are concerned

The system introduces a new kind of loot into the game. Any piece of loot from Uncommong (blue) to Legendary (orange/brown) can roll as a “Prime” piece of loot. So what designates a prime piece of loot? A prime piece of loot is a piece of loot that has rolled one or more affixes that rolled higher than what is normally allowed on a given item. Basically, these affixes roll like normal then a multiplier is applied to that roll, resulting in a new and higher value.

This prime loot drop would be indicated by a unique graphical effect that is visible on said loot the moment it hits the ground, much like the beam of light that shoots up from a legendary/set item. So let’s compare 2 pieces of identical loot, one is a prime piece, the other is not.

Admittedly, this seems a bit overpowered and the market will be overflowing with these eventually. The first solution I thought of was making Prime Loot decrease and/or subtract a different stat (probably to a negative value). Then the trick would be not only finding a piece of gear like this, but to also be able to deal with the drawbacks.

Godly post btw, as I mentioned before.
Edited by Igknight#1339 on 2/28/2013 2:56 PM PST
Honestly people, give a thumbs or down, and some feedback then move on. I thought it was a great post.

Stop threatening to quit if Blizz doesn't respond, etc. You sound like a 6 year old having a tantrum in a supermarket checkout line.

These types of constructive posts are noticed, that should be obvious by now given the patches. Stop grumbling just because a specific idea of yours wasn't implemented or a Blue didn't pat you on the head.
90 Orc Death Knight
Still not sure how any of this overcomes the "almost every single upgrade you find from the moment you click "enter game" until the moment you quit will be from the AH" problem.

Sure, there'd be a colossal amount of greater variety in the itemization itself, but that's kinda irrelevant in regards to finding your own loot when you have access to the collective inventories of almost every single person playing the game in your entire continent/region, with no downsides, no effort spent etc. It will always be far cheaper, far easier, far less time consuming than it is to find/trade for your own gear.

Not too sure how you don't see this as a negative. Just turns the loothunt away from finding amazing upgrades for yourself/alts/friends, and towards finding x amount of tokens to turn into gold on the AH until you can afford your next y stat upgrade, again, on the AH.

That being said - the vast, vast majority of your post is overwhelmingly amazing - massive kudos to you for taking the time to write this up.

I know it sounds a little sensationalistic, but Blizzard - can you get off your butts and employ people like this..? You need this kinda creativity!
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]