Diablo® III

The Salvation of Diablo 3: A Guide by Gosu

25 Blood Elf Priest
Couple of things:

I hope the thread gets extended past 500 since we're getting up into that territory or will be there soon enough. There's a lot to talk about here.

And saying that, I hope we talk both about Gosu's post and Travis's. Sometimes I hate it when a developer or CM posts into a thread with a lot of decent discussion and just by doing so derails it when everyone makes it about that instead of the original post.

There's a ton of stuff to think about in and between those two posts and I hope that happens. Good stuff Gosu and Travis both. Thanks to both of you.
02/28/2013 07:37 PMPosted by Otis
If they really wanted to go whole hog and make an insanely great game, they'd swipe everything GGG is doing and wedge D3's combat and physics engine in. Voila! :D

Please nooooo
From what I read, this Travis guy won't make any real difference to Diablo 3. Same old stuff from the devs. They always took the easiest path, and ignore the essentials.

Seriously please tell me, do you guys even read it?

Are you guys SERIOUSLY HAPPY with what he posted??

If the Game Designer is thinking like this, then Diablo 3 is already beyond salvation.
Edited by Renge#6328 on 2/28/2013 8:20 PM PST
“we want players to farm gold and go buy items off the auction house”. The AH definitely has made an impact on Diablo 3 and we talk about it constantly, but our conversations are usually in the context of “how can we get players to find their own loot instead of just buying it”.

If you listen to us to allow us to identify all rare items in one single click, it'll make game experience much enjoyable.

Again, it doesn't have to be instantly. Just count up how many items are in the inventory and allow us to click once and wait whatever seconds needed for ID'ing all items there.

Isn't that simple? You came up with auto gold pickup, so I see no reason why there's no ID-all button.

P.S. The gem craft too. Should have some easy maneuver than clicking the same button every 3 seconds just to upgrade, say, emeralds, to one of the highest tier.
Edited by MisterAjikko#1937 on 2/28/2013 8:10 PM PST
02/28/2013 08:05 PMPosted by Zaxxon23
The AH definitely has made an impact on Diablo 3 and we talk about it constantly, but our conversations are usually in the context of “how can we get players to find their own loot instead of just buying it”.

You cannot use that type of system in a Diablo game. That system only works in wow because people are paying a monthly fee for consistently new content. It's the rarity of loot and the drive to build wealth that makes Diablo worth playing far after the content runs out.

Players should never be worrying about finding "their own loot" in a Diablo game, because a good Diablo game gives them enough loot to build a good trade stock and get what they need without much worry!

I mean seriously, did you even play D2 online and get involved with the trade game? That's where the real game was at and there were tons of people playing it. You stick with this solo gimme gimme crap and this game is gonna continue going down the crapper. You don't seem to understand the psychology behind a good Diablo game.

Are you mad that he is admitting to their design flaw and is looking to repair it? Maybe D2 is a better game for you.
MVP
View profile
02/28/2013 06:58 PMPosted by Travis Day
I think many people would agree that, at launch, the game was too challenging. It was very difficult to progress through Inferno depending on your class or items and the challenge was a large part of the reason players felt like they were driven to the AH in the first place.

I actually think it was quite the opposite.

I would have rather each act been treated as a "tier" so to speak and you spend some time grinding in each tier before moving on to the next. That's exactly what we had at launch. I just think the complete randomness of loot exacerbated the issue because players weren't finding what they needed to progress to the next "tier" as quickly as they would like.

I guess you can consider Monster Power some sort of tiered system now, but the issue is still present that the difficulty does not necessarily equal the reward unless the game is made entirely trivial.

Which in turn just completely contradicts the whole "challenge" aspect of Monster Power in the first place. It's it's not profitable to challenge yourself, players won't do it.
MVP FAQ: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4038704716#2
TLDR – Travis has crit Gosu with Wall of Text for 1 Billlllllllion damage.

Wrong. Gosu crit Blizzard's entire D3 dev team with a Wake Up Call for a 1 hit KO.
People fondly remember making tons of characters and trying out different builds, and while I have a lot of those same fond memories, I also remember that usually the end result of my time investment in my “cool new character” was complete and utter disappointment.

Yep that is part of the challenge, thanks for removing anything challenging from the game.
MVP
View profile
02/28/2013 08:06 PMPosted by Ðragonslayer
It absolutely was implemented as a console consideration. It's extremely console friendly. It's great for that though.

No, globes were created as a method to COMBAT potion spam...

Potion spam is seriously an unnecessary mechanic that needed to go.
MVP FAQ: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4038704716#2
02/28/2013 07:45 PMPosted by Ðragonslayer
If that's all you took from the conversation than I fully understand why you enjoy Diablo 3. Simple game for a simple mind.

Ok, Dragonslayer.
Please, tell me. What did you got from the whole conversation?

What did you understood from the post? Please, do tell.

Fundamentally that they are going to work within the current system to fix the issues in the game and not look into anything to radical or make any changes that are fundamentally required for the game. Anything necessary is basically off the table and band aid solutions are the future. Essentially they plan on continuing what they've been doing since the game was released.

They may as well have kept Jay. We'd be getting the same thing but at least Jay would help generate all sorts of hilarious memes and would have the occasional memorable outburst.

Pretty much this.
So you do understand.
02/28/2013 07:45 PMPosted by Ðragonslayer
Simple game for a simple mind.

Because Diablo2 was so enormously complex...
Posted by Travis Day
I think many people would agree that, at launch, the game was too challenging. It was very difficult to progress through Inferno depending on your class or items and the challenge was a large part of the reason players felt like they were driven to the AH in the first place.

I actually think it was quite the opposite.

I would have rather each act been treated as a "tier" so to speak and you spend some time grinding in each tier before moving on to the next. That's exactly what we had at launch. I just think the complete randomness of loot exacerbated the issue because players weren't finding what they needed to progress to the next "tier" as quickly as they would like.

I guess you can consider Monster Power some sort of tiered system now, but the issue is still present that the difficulty does not necessarily equal the reward unless the game is made entirely trivial.

Which in turn just completely contradicts the whole "challenge" aspect of Monster Power in the first place. It's it's not profitable to challenge yourself, players won't do it.
MVP FAQ: us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4038704716#2

Agreed. And to be more precise, the early launch of the game was too challenging? That's only because of one single thing - they put AH into account when they screwed up the drop rates of many items, since it was incredibly difficult to find satisfaction without luck when we hunt for better items back in those days. It was all because of that. You guys really, seriously, did not need to change any thing about the game at all but the drop rates of the items and their qualities.
02/28/2013 08:14 PMPosted by Noxifer
They may as well have kept Jay. We'd be getting the same thing but at least Jay would help generate all sorts of hilarious memes and would have the occasional memorable outburst.
View profile
OP clearly had more fun making this post than playing the game.

02/28/2013 08:15 PMPosted by Ðragonslayer

No, globes were created as a method to COMBAT potion spam...

Potion spam is seriously an unnecessary mechanic that needed to go.

Cooldowns on the potions did that.

Potion spam was not unnecessary and was part of a winning formula in d2. I'm sorry you can't see that but that's not my problem.

No it wasn't. We didn't have something better to compare it to.
Edited by ElevenEleven#1177 on 2/28/2013 8:17 PM PST
This is a topic I’ve touched on some in this thread and it is also a talking point of the upcoming Item Blog, so I’ll just say that we agree and we want Legendary items to feel game changing.

Please make the legendaries, real legendaries... where is my azurewrath with great power :(??? is there but is crap :( i really want more options of legendary weapones competitives.... not more echoing fury or skorns!!!

And another point for me not less important,where is the low level legendaries?? i really wnat to find legendaries for my new characters, i never used a legendarie in a character low level :S, plesae try to fix this too.
you got your blue post but thats about all that youre going to get. This games going to be put on consoles with out the AH probably and its going to be for a quick buck. Triple A gaming companies with few exceptions are all thinking the same thing. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. They arent thinking about innovation, so while you have some good ideas here, i doubt any single one of them will get implemented into a game thats already basically dead. blizzard wont do it because they already got all the cash they are going to from this game and the story is so comically stupid that making an expansion would be a big waste of time and money. Look at SC2 HoTS. Currently, they are promoting the hell out of this expansion, but they are largely ignoring any of the community feedback and constructive criticism that would help save the game from fading into obscurity. I dunno why they are doing such things but this is just how these particular devs think. Save your words and go make your own video games... Maybe then youll be able to show these devs why their games keep failing.
Ooooh, my post got deleted. Does that mean my opinions are invalid?
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]