Diablo® III

The Salvation of Diablo 3: A Guide by Gosu

MVP
View profile
02/28/2013 08:30 PMPosted by Ðragonslayer
I'm not surprised they didn't mention consoles but that doesn't mean health globes aren't console friendly and they didn't at least in part implement it because of that. LIke they don't mention alot of things they do and they carefully navigate around alot of topics. That doesn't mean 2 + 2 =5. It means they just didn't speak about it even though it clearly works in the console space and works very well.

Again, this game wasn't developed for a console. It was developed for a PC, then the decision to port to a console was made later after some analysis was done to see if it would be a good idea.

You can like potion spam all you like, but the fact remains that globes were a system meant to get rid of mechanics like that.

As Jay said, it just gives the developers a poor excuse to make things stupidly hard without doing any sort of balancing because you can just spam a potion and win.

One of the things I dislike most about TL2 is the fact that I just constantly hit my potion button every 6 seconds for extra health regeneration.

That's hilarious you attribute the sole success of diablo 2 to its social element. I agree it's missing in Diablo 3 but it isn't the sole contributor to the winning formula. I have to ask if you have any experience playing the game because it sounds like you don't know what the [expletive deleted] your talking about. Yes the social side did add to it but that wasn't the only thing. The game was fundamentally good. It's a formula that's carried over more or less in other games and those games have more or less remained true to the formula. They haven't all carried potion spam, although PoE does indeed have a good way of handling it. You'll notice of course that none of those games has the same popularity that D3 does. You don't like potion spam that's fine. It wasn't a problem in D2 and it didn't need fixing, regardless of what jay wilson has to say. The guy no longer working on this game I might add.

I'm not saying the sole success of D2 rode on the fact that it was social. There were things that worked and things that didn't work in D2. However, having played at least a couple hundred hours of D2 a few years ago I can safely comment on things I disliked. The absolute necessity of potions was one of them. It's the same thing I hated about a lot of early RPG's. The complete reliance on potions is an old and unnecessary mechanic that needed to go.

Lastly, even though Jay is no longer involved with the development of D3, he was a great influence over the game's development. Health Globes aren't something that were added in 1.0.7... They've existed since the game's launch so making statements that Jay's insight is invalid just because he no longer works for the company just baffles me.
MVP FAQ: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4038704716#2
The best legendary item IMO is Butcher's Sickle. It actually does something cool... make more Legendaries like that. Does butcher's sickle work with Whirlwind?... If it doesn't, wow that would be a good idea
Health globes are fine imo. I would say that the potion CD could be a bit lower (like 15-20 seconds), but that is just my opinion.

Anyways health globes. These actually can add to combat when it comes to tactics. If you are at full health you can leave a health globe behind in case you need to retreat from a crazy elite(s) pack and need health asap. It can also help aid you while in combat to keep you at full health (or near full) and continue fighting.

Potion spamming was and is a really lame concept which I'm glad Blizzard did away with.
Health globes are just a nice nod to games that go way back when enemies would drop health after you killed them. It was nice going back to an old mechanic. I actually have to use skill to manage my health meter instead of mashing 1-4 to get health then quickly TP out and buy more potions and repeat.
02/28/2013 06:58 PMPosted by Travis Day
When a perfect pair of gloves is “Core Stat, Vit, Res All, Crit Chance, Crit Dmg, Attack Speed” and you can’t even imagine another stat you would want instead of one of those, we have a bigger problem.

The “problem” with trifecta items can’t be discussed without also pointing out that it is only a problem because the AH makes obtaining these items so easy.

at least they can identify the problems

still no news on the social features other than they are "trying"
02/28/2013 08:26 PMPosted by Ðragonslayer
I'll answer it if you can honestly tell me what does it matter to you why I post here? Like I can just as easily say hey man if you love this game so much why are you bothering to bug me on a forum here and laughing at my comments (as sad and pathetic as that is) instead of ya know playing diablo 3.

I am interested. Truly. No joke, no sarcasm or anything.
I am curious why a person, who claims that Diablo3 is absolutely terrible game doesn't see it getting better any time soon is still here and hasn't moved on.

Today I didn't play all that much, because I had other stuff to do. I however like to say informed when it comes to the games, that I play and I check the forums on a regular basis.
Since I read Gosu's thread yesterday, I decided to post my views on the matter.
I said that while I agree with him on several subjects, I don't like his approach. I also told hem to not rush to judge skills and classes, which which he doesn't have enough experience.
He decided to respond in extremely lame manner, which was "No, you don't understand and you lack knowledge of the game" without any actual argument as to why is that, and also went to say that he's not just speaking for himself:
02/28/2013 05:38 PMPosted by Gosu
I am not speaking JUST for myself.

At that point i just felt the need to remind him that he doesn't not speak for me or for the rest of the player base. That's all.

Your posts and views also caught my eye. From what I can feel (if that's at all possible) you're older than me(may be I am wrong... I am 25 btw) and yet you somehow seem more stupid. I came to that conclusion based on most of your posts and more particularly your belief that the health globes were designed with consoles in mind and that I am somehow responsible for how Diablo3 turned out to be.

Just because I didn't played much today doesn't mean I wont play the game tomorrow. In fact I will play a lot, I've got to upgrade the gems of my Witch Doctor, that's my priority in the game at this point. Then I am gonna duel me some more people, while I wait for the replacement of the Team Deathmatch.

For me the game is not dead. I don't want some self appointed "saviors" to screw with skill runes which clearly have awesome use, that's all.
Edited by Noxifer#2606 on 2/28/2013 8:51 PM PST
Thanks Travis I really appreciate the insight you gave us. I'm glad to see The D3 devs get involved and not just the community managers.
MVP
View profile
02/28/2013 08:42 PMPosted by Ðragonslayer
I'm not sure why we should trust Jays idea of what worked and what didn't work in D2 given the current state of D3 and his current no longer working on the game status but if hes your advocate your not gonna convince me of very much I'm afraid.

I'm no longer commenting on this subject because I don't want to derail Gosu's thread further as that is not my intent. At this point I am no longer contributing anything positive to the discussion in the spirit of Gosu's original topic. =/

However, I will say that if you read several responses, there are an overwhelming number of people that disagree with your opinion on potions besides myself.

I've fallen victim to your straw man argument. =/ I'm quite upset with myself for this. You're using Jay's shortcomings as a way to completely invalidate any of the positive contributions he has made to the continued success of D3. He may have done quite a few things wrong (and he certainly wasn't the only member of the Dev team) but not everything Jay collaborated on was a complete failure...

I apologize Gosu for derailing your thread with nonsense. =/
MVP FAQ: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4038704716#2
Health globes are fine imo. I would say that the potion CD could be a bit lower (like 15-20 seconds), but that is just my opinion.Anyways health globes. These actually can add to combat when it comes to tactics. If you are at full health you can leave a health globe behind in case you need to retreat from a crazy elite(s) pack and need health asap. It can also help aid you while in combat to keep you at full health (or near full) and continue fighting.Potion spamming was and is a really lame concept which I'm glad Blizzard did away with.

This YES

You can also use heath shrines tactically.

BUT if you are not solo playing another party member is sure to suck up the globe or shrine even if they dont need it and you DO need it.
Then that tactic is GONE!
I wish Blizzard would just drop the PR template crap and just give us straight answers.

His response to the Social Features section is a prime example. It's no wonder the Patch 1.0.7 Q&A was so poorly received.
Your system idea for Nephalem Power Stat is basically a roundabout way of suggesting we re-implement the Diablo 2 skill system. The old skill system was fun, back in the day, but I think it’s honestly dated in today’s landscape.

I can't believe the Nephalem Power Points system was scrapped like this. It is the coolest and the most original idea Gosu suggested.

In which way exactly is it the same as "outdated" D2 skill trees? D2 skill allocations were permanent, these are not. The tree doesn't even provide you with any active skills, but improves existing abilities, so it's not even a "skill" tree in the first place.

This suggestion alone could improve build diversity in the game tenfold. Please, give it more thought.
I'm not trying to be negative to all the good thoughts here, but I simply think everyone from the fans to the developers have over thought this game. Plain and simple - it feels more like World of Diablocraft than a Diablo game.

As a long time D1, D2 and WOW player, this game just feels more like how WoW ended up in the later years more than anything else. I think we've overthought what makes a game fun in the first place.

I hear so much debate about such minor things like one stat vs. another, we've lost the big picture of meaningful choices with a consequence, treasure hunting, fun items, discovery, hard work paying off, randomness to mix it up, and feeling epic once in a while.

Well, gotta run, I have to go buy an item in the AH with just +1 more strength on it - ooooh I can't wait I am so excited
This was alot to read but worth it, alot of exciting ideas floating around. I hope the game devs will work hard to strike a balance here overtime...
You, sir, are a god among men. If Blizzard institutes even half the changes you proposed, I'm back on the gaming wagon
Well guys, we got a post from Blizz... but I'm not exactly sure if it was a PR reply or a reply to the OP. Going to give the benefit of the doubt and go with *both*.

Also surprised he didn't comment on the Prime system at all. (If he did and I somehow missed it let me know).

Also I hope this thread gets an extension... we are dangerously close to the cap.
View profile

Potions are still needed at the highest difficulty. Their necessity hasn't lessened. You still need to use them, you just can no longer spam them. I'd love to see you roll around mp8-9 without a single pot. .

You win!

Potions vs health globe : potions win
Reason: Potions avaible when i need it ! Health globe? I dont know when it appear.
Tractical speaking : I want somothing reliable in battle. health globe ? just a bonus
Edited by MADTHUNDER2#3452 on 2/28/2013 9:19 PM PST
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]