Diablo® III

The Salvation of Diablo 3: A Guide by Gosu

- Technical Support
View profile
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the vast majority of players pretty much only play SC. Granted, many do enjoy HC and that's cool, but this game seems primarily focused on the SC experience and I think that is what most of us, as well as Blizz, are most concerned about.

Actually I'd say there are more HC players than you give credit for. And there are far more players that want to play HC, but refuse to because of the constant problems with the "online only" model and Battle.net puking all over their game sessions. Drothvader is one of those tired of dying to things that are not his mistakes, but just completely random unavoidable circumstances beyond any player's control, as am I and most assuredly many countless others.

Also, I see no reason why his endless MP or endless dungeon ideas could not be played in HC mode as long as you had the options of either never doing them or to simply leave them whenever you wished. Man up bro, get all hard core in there. You could handle it I'm sure, with your bad self and all that.

Sigh. Did you honestly need to insult him with this response? It really does not make you look good, even if you have at least a little bit of a point. I'm not saying his post was great either (it wasn't), but "tit for tat" insulting doesn't help this discussion any.

I highly doubt that there will ever be any kind of HC only content in this game, or any SC only content either for that matter. HC is supposed to be the exact same game with its own AH where if you die you are dead, plain and simple.

There might not necessarily be exclusive content (this could change at any time, but for now we'll assume this is the case), but there most certainly could be extra challenging achievements that separate the men and women from the children (in a manner of speaking).

"May courage favor the bold..."

Edited by TheTias#1192 on 2/28/2013 11:58 PM PST
Haven't read much of the thread besides the crazy long op post but...

I criticize this game on daily bases, most because im extremely passionate about the series i loved growing up. I most adress how the CMs ignore the major issues.

After this blue post a little faith has been restored to me concerning the state of this game.

Even though the answers weren't fully revealed, I enjoyed a blue responding to actual issues this game has.

This is from someone who constantly flames these forums; truly thank you for actual feedback on the current state of the game ( even though i disagreed with some points).
Travis this is the kind of resposiveness that makes up a community. Please keep this up. Your post got me excited and filled with hope.
Edited by Zoth#2543 on 3/1/2013 12:09 AM PST
Kudos to Gosu

Great post, great read, much respect.
- Technical Support
View profile
02/28/2013 11:59 PMPosted by Zoth
Travis this the kind of dedication that makes up a community. Please keep this up. Your post got me excited and filled with hope.

Indeed. I suspect had the developers been this open about what went wrong and what ideas might be good to look at or even implement from the beginning, the forums would never have turned into the cesspool they've been for so long. I would even have been far kinder to the developers, including Jay Wilson, than I was back during the game's first few months.

It's discussion threads like this that leave me with regret for not being more civil myself early on. I learned my lesson the hard way, much like many others (including an MVP who shall remain nameless ;). I would just as soon have not been a part of the bruehaha and more a party to a solution.

This is the primary reason I admire what Gosu has done here in getting us to think critically, and why during the 1.0.5 PTR wrote out an almost as long critique of the game's state, even with humour on the side. I want Diablo 3 to succeed and make us proud of the Blizzard we once knew. I want there to be a Blizzard that is respected not because it followed in the footsteps of the original gang, but because they learned from their success and failures in order to create a game that will live on for another ten years.

Seeing good discussion makes my tech support days here feel less empty and more rewarding, knowing there are players still kind enough to promote civility while trying to help others out.

Edited by TheTias#1192 on 3/1/2013 12:07 AM PST
so i read it all and..

blizzard sen haksızsın ibne.

but seriously... diabloiii is fail
Edited by BastardSword#1660 on 3/1/2013 12:15 AM PST
02/28/2013 06:58 PMPosted by Travis Day
We have discussed ideas such as letting players have some control over what stats will appear on the item they are crafting, using the crafting system to allow players to reroll the values of affixes an item already has, etc.

Create two different loot components that allows these things... Power Cores and Affix Cores.

Use both types of cores to create a specific affix on crafted items. Allow players to choose from every, single affix in the game (with exception to sockets and special Legendary affixes). Only allow one crafted affix per item in order to keep the item hunt alive.

Power Core value tiers (only using class stat as the value example):

Splintered Power Core - Very common drop - 25-50 range - Need 2 each craft (4 per reroll)

Fragmented Power Core - Common drop - 51-75 range - Need 4 each craft (8 per reroll)

Fractured Power Core - Rare drop - 76-100 range - Need 6 each craft (12 per reroll)

Whole Power Core - Very rare drop - 101-150 range - Need 8 each craft (16 per reroll)

Perfect Power Core - Very, very rare drop - 151 to cap range - Need 10 each craft (20 per reroll)

----------

Affix Core tiers:

Common drop

- Strength
- Dexterity
- Intelligence
- Vitality
- Single resist
- Etc.

Rare drop

- Armor
- Specific resource for class
- Specific skill bonus for class
- Life %
- Etc.

Very rare drop

- Life on Hit
- Life Steal
- All Resists
- Attack Speed
- Critical Hit Damage
- Critical Hit Chance
- Damage bonus
- Etc.

----------

So, if a player had 6 Fractured Power Cores and an Intelligence Affix Core, they could craft an item that would guarantee an Intelligence value in the 76-100 range.

Allow these cores to be sold on the AH. They are consumable, make crafting more viable, creates more "carrot-on-a-stick" gameplay (longevity), encourages farming/playing, and likely a good revenue generator for Blizzard via the RMAH.
Edited by Jason#1250 on 3/1/2013 12:23 AM PST
02/28/2013 11:57 PMPosted by TheTias
Sigh. Did you honestly need to insult him with this response? It really does not make you look good, even if you have at least a little bit of a point. I'm not saying his post was great either (it wasn't), but "tit for tat" insulting doesn't help this discussion any.

I wasn't trying to insult anyone honestly, more just make a joke. He can feel free to mock me for not playing HC much if he wants in retribution, and he would be right. I have one 60 HC character that I never even finished hell with because I am a coward. He did sort of call Gosu out with his final comment though. But you are right, such things are not benefiting the conversation.

You could be right again that at some point some kind of HC only or SC only content could be added to the game, and it wouldn't really bother me either way. And you may also be correct that the HC following is a greater portion of the player base than I am aware of, and I am all for them enjoying D3 more than they can now in the game's present state as well. When you complete HC inferno mode I'm sure it feels pretty cool, and I think you probably deserve some kind of special reward beyond a couple more achievement points for doing so. As of now no such thing exists and I doubt it ever will, but I'm not trying to keep the HC community down here.
Edited by Malsheem#1552 on 3/1/2013 12:19 AM PST
All the developers should read the forums and chip in their two cents sometimes, or even take notes.
Hmm, Jay Wilson left and now we get some love?
I was growing up with Diablo series. We were playing D1 with my father 3 years straight, every day. We were playing D2 even longer together with my school-mates. Me and many of my friends have preordered D3 and we were trying to like it as much as the previous games, but something (a lot of things) was lacking. It went as far as everyone stoped playing and I finally uninstalled D3 two weeks ago, because I just couldnt go farm another Act3 run.

The dev. post makes me feel hopeful about the future of D3, but how distant that future is? Will D3 be a good game only after another 2, 3 years? What I miss is some sort of a road map, a promise of what they can do through patches and what will be in expansion (and when).
More about skill runes.
02/28/2013 11:18 PMPosted by Glock
Gosu, you have to have SOME bad affixes in this game.

This.

Same goes for skills. If all the skills are good for anything, then figuring out a build for yourself isn't really compelling.
02/26/2013 07:48 PMPosted by Gosu
In order for itemization to succeed, players need to be able to say, "if you want to do this build or play this way, you need THESE stats".

Sometimes skills determine your choice of stats, sometimes it's the other way around.

Back to my example with the Hungering Arrow.
If you are using Life Steal or Life Regen to sustain yourself, then you'll probably chose between Devouring Arrow or Spray of Teeth based on your crit chance. From that position Cinder Arrow is indeed useless.
However, if you are using Life per Hit, then the Cinder Arrow is the rune for you, because it has the highest proc coefficient from all the Hungering Arrow skill runes.

Just because something is useless for you doesn't meant, that this thing is universally useless. Think twice, before branding things as useless left and right. As a game you're supposed to try and find a way, not say "this is bad, that is useless".

And now back to my Pile On example. Who said that this skill rune has to be viable in PvE environment? May be that skill rune is meant to be one of the wrong choices. There just have to be some bad skills, the same way there have to be some bad stats.

And again, the skill is not even universally bad, it has it's incredible use in PvP. I see no problem for some of the bad skills in PvE to be good for PvP.
You don't like PvP? The problem is entirely yours.
You don't wanna believe that particular skill was designed with PvP in mind? I believe otherwise, due to certain changes to skills i noticed in the period between September 2011 and December 2011. Blizzard said multiple times they had a PvP Strike Team.
You want all skill runes to be viable in PvE? I don't want that. I think there should be some wrong choices so that making a build is actually compelling.
Edited by Noxifer#2606 on 3/1/2013 12:34 AM PST
Bumping this just so I can find this forum thread again and read it later. Good job with all the suggestions, OP, and thanks for responding to them, blue!
The blue post was nice to see, but ultimately more "the game is fine, our vision is fine, just give us two more years and we'll implement 10% of the vague promises we've given" that I've already seen enough of.

Gosu's ideas give all of us chills because we want them. We want them so badly, or at least things in that direction. I've wanted a small number of skill points that I can allocate and reallocate like my skills and runes for a long time, and it's totally in line with D3's structure and not D2's. I hated allocating stat points and finding out I screwed up ten levels later. Please implement this system or something very similar!
More about skill runes.
Gosu, you have to have SOME bad affixes in this game.

This.

Same goes for skills. If all the skills are good for anything, then figuring out a build for yourself isn't really compelling.
In order for itemization to succeed, players need to be able to say, "if you want to do this build or play this way, you need THESE stats".

Sometimes skills determine your choice of stats, sometimes it's the other way around.

You want all skill runes to be viable in PvE? I don't want that. I think there should be some wrong choices so that making a build is actually compelling.

Compelling yes, in the literal sense of the word. Having bad choices literally compels you to choose others. How is that good in any way, for any game, ever? Are you serious?

There is a very definite line between skills that are good for anything, and skills that are good for something. Gosu's point is that every Skill and every rune should be good for SOMETHING.

My Wizard runs Archon build for farming on low MP levels, but I use CM build for higher MP's for Ubers and Key farming. That's an example of two builds that are not good for "anything", but are great at something.

Currently, there are MANY skills and runes that ARE NOT good at ANYTHING. That is Gosu's point, and I 100% agree with him.
Edited by Tommerbob#1808 on 3/1/2013 12:39 AM PST
- Technical Support
View profile
Everyone saying this is a discussion, they are wrong. Developers never discuss anything with the players. Travis posted a response, but will not be back to address any other followups.

His "blog" next week will be useless, the Itemization ATDs will be useless, and nothing will change for the better.

The core game is broken, the developers never actually try anything out, instead they follow their grand plan which has failed so far.

The PTR may as well not exist due to how poor the communication is.

Well, it certainly isn't going to improve with that attitude. :/

re: finding your own gear. What if you addded affixes to player found gear on rares and legendaries? maybe make them add to certain skills and abilities or add aura's or something
Does anyone realise that Travis is actualy agreeing that the game is flawed and they are working toward what players are asking ?

Summary

1. They will make crafting worthwhile
2. They will change itemization
3. They will change skills
4. They will make paragon worthwhile not just mindless farming
5. They will make multiplayer fun ?

It's all we asked and we finally got through them with our whines and feedback. I am happy .. but ...but .. WHEN ? Today ? Tomorow ? This month ? This year ?

TLDR – Travis has crit Gosu with Wall of Text for 1 Billlllllllion damage.

Just to add a note: NOT REALLY.

Gosu still have an awful lot of points that you're ignoring. Still it's good to see that without JW you guys are less anal about the systems.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]